Banks Warn Fed They May Have To Start Charging Depositors

hvactec

VIP Member
Jan 17, 2010
The Fed's Catch 22 just got catchier. While most attention in the recently released FOMC minutes fell on the return of the taper as a possibility even as soon as December (making the November payrolls report the most important ever, ever, until the next one at least), a less discussed issue was the Fed's comment that it would consider lowering the Interest on Excess Reserves to zero as a means to offset the implied tightening that would result from the reduction in the monthly flow once QE entered its terminal phase (for however briefly before the plunge in the S&P led to the Untaper). After all, the Fed's policy book goes, if IOER is raised to tighten conditions, easing it to zero, or negative, should offset "tightening financial conditions", right? Wrong. As the FT reports leading US banks have warned the Fed that should it lower IOER, they would be forced to start charging depositors.

In other words, just like Europe is already toying with the idea of NIRP (and has been for over a year, if still mostly in the rheotrical and market rumor phase), so the Fed's IOER cut would also result in a negative rate on deposits which the FT tongue-in-cheekly summarizes "depositors already have to cope with near-zero interest rates, but paying just to leave money in the bank would be highly unusual and unwelcome for companies and households."

read more Banks Warn Fed They May Have To Start Charging Depositors | Zero Hedge

Then we start switching banks ala Bank of America pulling back on it's $5.00 Debit Card use when hundreds of thousands of people called within a scant few days threatening to switch.

I do understand the Directors, CEO and CIO having to maintain their standard of living...tough!

This could start a trend back to cash transactions.

Some stores would have to learn how to cope with cash!

Not joking. Some 40 years ago I bought a piece of furniture in a major store. Small enough for me to take it home - no delivery required. Clerk had to call a manager at home to figure out how to deal with a cash-and-carry sale. They didn't even have a cashbox!

This could start a trend back to cash transactions.

Some stores would have to learn how to cope with cash!

Not joking. Some 40 years ago I bought a piece of furniture in a major store. Small enough for me to take it home - no delivery required. Clerk had to call a manager at home to figure out how to deal with a cash-and-carry sale. They didn't even have a cashbox!

In the early 80's I was managing apartment buildings in New York and I replaced at least 2 dozen new brand name appliances and each time I paid cash,different stores.
Are you sure that wasn't some 20 years ago instead of 40?

Exact year was 1966 so it really wasn't 40 years ago - it was 47 and a fraction years back. Store was in Braintree. Paid the price of the piece of furniture in normal currency but paid the sales tax in pennies. Lots and lots of pennies, Braintree being in Massachusetts.

Exact year was 1966 so it really wasn't 40 years ago - it was 47 and a fraction years back. Store was in Braintree. Paid the price of the piece of furniture in normal currency but paid the sales tax in pennies. Lots and lots of pennies, Braintree being in Massachusetts.

I figured New York being the financial capital of the world would have evolved from cash to credit first or at least kept pace with that other world financial center,Braintree Mass.

Forum List

Back