Banning AR-15's Doesn't Make Sense To Me

I would agree that bans haven't always worked (although it certainly has in some cases).

But mandatory gun locks and background checks could do some good and won't take anything away from anyone. So why on earth would any gun owner be against them?

And for the record, I own 5 guns at the moment.

I live in a police state known as the Peoples Republic of California. Gun locks are mandatory with the sale of firearms. But even the totalitarian democrats that rule the state cannot mandate that they be used- that whole "right to bear" thingy, they can only mandate that they be sold with the gun. What good does this do?
Like any law intended to keep people from breakling the law, it does no good.

I would agree that bans haven't always worked (although it certainly has in some cases).

But mandatory gun locks and background checks could do some good and won't take anything away from anyone. So why on earth would any gun owner be against them?

I live in a police state known as the Peoples Republic of California. Gun locks are mandatory with the sale of firearms. But even the totalitarian democrats that rule the state cannot mandate that they be used- that whole "right to bear" thingy, they can only mandate that they be sold with the gun. What good does this do?

Not all gun laws are about stopping crime. Many are about keeping kids safe around guns.

And anyone who doesn't keep their guns locked up around kids is fucking insane.

Underhill,
If children are taught from a very early age they are completely safe around guns or any other tool that could cause injury or death. My kids were taught as soon as they saw my gun on the table that it was dad's tool and that they had to ask if they wanted to handle it. They asked often and I taught them from the beginning that they had to check and clear the weapon before they could handle it. I would clear the weapon for them (they were 3 and 5 years old) because they didn't have the strength to pull the trigger or open the cylinder. They handled all the guns and knew how to check and clear them before they could even pull the trigger on them. Both my daughter and my son went shooting with me before they could fire the guns. They were a big hit at the police range and they liked to show off how they could check the guns and yell, "clear" when they were sure the guns were unloaded. By the age of 7 or 8 they were shooting at 25 yard targets and having a great time shooting groups that were smaller than some of the officers doing their "monthly ammo burn". My guns were loaded and all over the house and they held no fascination for my kids at all - they were just another of dad's tools that were always there. When they had friends over the friends might ask and then they would come to me and I would monitor the steps just to make sure the new kid wasn't going to do something ignorent but my kids showed them how to check and clear the gun and then made them do the same thing. It must have seemed like a lot of work because they never asked a second time and my kids mostly ignored the guns once they could shoot with me at the range, unless I was going to the range - they would miss cake and ice cream to shoot with their dad.

I never locked any of my guns up because if they are locked away then kids are curious about them and you can't get to them in time if you need them.
My dad kept the guns locked away and the ammo locked in a separate place and I was curious enough to pick the locks as a 10 year old and fire one of the guns out the bedroom window. Locks don't make it impossible to get to the guns. It just takes a bit of determination and time. I can still pick a lock - it has saved me and friends a call to the locksmith quite a few times.

If someone is determined enough you can't prevent them from doing wrong. With my kids it was better to remove the mystery early on and show them the way guns should be handled. This kept them out of harms way.

On the other hand if you don't like spending time with your kids and would rather ignore their interests then maybe a gun safe is right for you. Don't expect to be able to save them if someone breaks into your house - you can't get to those locked up guns as fast as he can bash your head in with a baseball bat.

Underhill,
If children are taught from a very early age they are completely safe around guns or any other tool that could cause injury or death. My kids were taught as soon as they saw my gun on the table that it was dad's tool and that they had to ask if they wanted to handle it. They asked often and I taught them from the beginning that they had to check and clear the weapon before they could handle it. I would clear the weapon for them (they were 3 and 5 years old) because they didn't have the strength to pull the trigger or open the cylinder. They handled all the guns and knew how to check and clear them before they could even pull the trigger on them. Both my daughter and my son went shooting with me before they could fire the guns. They were a big hit at the police range and they liked to show off how they could check the guns and yell, "clear" when they were sure the guns were unloaded. By the age of 7 or 8 they were shooting at 25 yard targets and having a great time shooting groups that were smaller than some of the officers doing their "monthly ammo burn". My guns were loaded and all over the house and they held no fascination for my kids at all - they were just another of dad's tools that were always there. When they had friends over the friends might ask and then they would come to me and I would monitor the steps just to make sure the new kid wasn't going to do something ignorent but my kids showed them how to check and clear the gun and then made them do the same thing. It must have seemed like a lot of work because they never asked a second time and my kids mostly ignored the guns once they could shoot with me at the range, unless I was going to the range - they would miss cake and ice cream to shoot with their dad.

I never locked any of my guns up because if they are locked away then kids are curious about them and you can't get to them in time if you need them.
My dad kept the guns locked away and the ammo locked in a separate place and I was curious enough to pick the locks as a 10 year old and fire one of the guns out the bedroom window. Locks don't make it impossible to get to the guns. It just takes a bit of determination and time. I can still pick a lock - it has saved me and friends a call to the locksmith quite a few times.

If someone is determined enough you can't prevent them from doing wrong. With my kids it was better to remove the mystery early on and show them the way guns should be handled. This kept them out of harms way.

On the other hand if you don't like spending time with your kids and would rather ignore their interests then maybe a gun safe is right for you. Don't expect to be able to save them if someone breaks into your house - you can't get to those locked up guns as fast as he can bash your head in with a baseball bat.

I'm sorry but that just isn't true.

There were kids just down the street growing up who's father a member of the Rod and Gun club, and took his kids there to shoot regularly.

One of them was killed when the other, who thought he knew what he was doing, thought the gun was empty and was showing it off. He didn't realize there was one in the chamber and shot his sister.

The problem is, you seem to be under the delusion that just teaching your kids what is right means they will always do it. I find it hard to believe that any parent could be so naive. It wasn't true with me or my friends, and it isn't true with my own kids.

The best medicine is both. I teach my kids and keep the guns locked up. They have no need to learn how to pick a lock (which would be tough with a safe) because all they have to do is ask and I will take them shooting...

I have no idea where you live but where I live I don't feel the need to keep guns unlocked and lying around at all times. I don't know anyone who does.

Unquestionably.
Gun accidents in general, but especualy among children, are exceptionally rare; this signifies that whatever is being done to avoid said accidents is working.

There were kids just down the street growing up who's father a member of the Rod and Gun club, and took his kids there to shoot regularly.

One of them was killed when the other, who thought he knew what he was doing, thought the gun was empty and was showing it off. He didn't realize there was one in the chamber and shot his sister.

That child was not taught to check and clear the gun properly. My children were taught that that was what was required before handling the gun - not that it was what you were sopposed to do. My kids still recite to me that "guns are always loaded" and know that you never point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy. This is all from their training at an age when most people "protect" their children rather than preparing them for the future. Even when they were very young my kids would never have considered pointing a gun at each other even if the gun was checked and cleared - it was something that would never have entered their mind. The children in your example were obviously not taught correct gun handling. Getting the round out of the chamber is part of clearing a semi-auto gun. Pointing the gun at anyone that you don't intend to kill is against every rule in the book.

The fact is that my way worked for me and my kids. It won't work if it is not done correctly and reinforced from a very early age. Sorry about your friend's loss - it was an avoidable tradjedy.

That child was not taught to check and clear the gun properly. My children were taught that that was what was required before handling the gun - not that it was what you were sopposed to do. My kids still recite to me that "guns are always loaded" and know that you never point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy. This is all from their training at an age when most people "protect" their children rather than preparing them for the future. Even when they were very young my kids would never have considered pointing a gun at each other even if the gun was checked and cleared - it was something that would never have entered their mind. The children in your example were obviously not taught correct gun handling. Getting the round out of the chamber is part of clearing a semi-auto gun. Pointing the gun at anyone that you don't intend to kill is against every rule in the book.

The fact is that my way worked for me and my kids. It won't work if it is not done correctly and reinforced from a very early age. Sorry about your friend's loss - it was an avoidable tradjedy.

So your kids always do what they are told?

I find that hard to believe.

I've spent more time teaching my kids than most parents. I'm a scoutmaster and a responsible gun owner. But I would never assume my kids will do what I say with something as important as a gun. Especially at a young age.

Statistically most kids don't die in ATV accidents. That doesn't mean you should leave your ATV's in the yard with the keys in them. You are just asking for trouble. Kids occasionally do stupid things regardless of your parenting skills.

Facts is facts. I never assumed anything. I taught my children responsibility through love and discipline.
Handling a gun meant that you had to check and clear it before you could do anything else. It wasn't if you want to "play" with the gun you should check and clear it first it was part of the process. The gun was just another tool that was used to put holes in targets and knock over metal targets. It wasn't something to "play" with. You have to incorporate the whole concept not just part of it. Both my kids have kids of their own and they are gun owners. Not one of us has had an accident involving guns. We still go shooting together and my kids shoot pretty well. We are all aware that the gun can be dangerous if you leave out any of the safeguards in handling them. ATVs are toys, so are bicycles, squirt guns and dolls.

Underhill,

The problem is, you seem to be under the delusion that just teaching your kids what is right means they will always do it. I find it hard to believe that any parent could be so naive. It wasn't true with me or my friends, and it isn't true with my own kids.

The best medicine is both. I teach my kids and keep the guns locked up. They have no need to learn how to pick a lock (which would be tough with a safe) because all they have to do is ask and I will take them shooting...

I have no idea where you live but where I live I don't feel the need to keep guns unlocked and lying around at all times. I don't know anyone who does.

Shit happens. My Dad always had firearms in the house. They were never locked up any further than being kept in my parents' bedroom. We were allowed to handle them on the range and to clean them at home. But there were rules that were strictly obeyed, or else. We children were absolutely forbidden to go into my parents' bedroom, ever. As children we were trained to obey rules and respect boundaries. Failure to do so carried dire consequences.
Nowadays, not so much...

My daughter was taught the same regimen. I don't need some nanny government regulating things as important as safety.

Underhill,

the most dangerous firearm

is the unloaded one

never never treat a firearm as if it was unloaded

Underhill,

is the unloaded one

A simple concept, even a child can understand. As far as other people's children and guns at their homes are concerned, we went with the Eddie Eagle philosophy: if a gun comes out, stop, leave the room, and tell an adult. My daughter could recite that when she was five. She could also field strip and reassemble a Colt 1911 by the time she was 7.

is the unloaded one

A simple concept, even a child can understand. As far as other people's children and guns at their homes are concerned, we went with the Eddie Eagle philosophy: if a gun comes out, stop, leave the room, and tell an adult. My daughter could recite that when she was five. She could also field strip and reassemble a Colt 1911 by the time she was 7.

yes exactly

the first rule us kids learned was never touch a firearm unless told to do so by

an adult

the second was to treat all firearms as if they are loaded

which i passed on to my kids

and now the grand kids are learning the same

we have never in the generations of our family

had a firearms accident

in fact we are doing a little shooting tomorrow

with two of the grand sons

wont be much though

since 22 shells are a little hard to come by these days

Well I kinda am for banning assault weapons.

But since you guys think it's a right..lets go with that a bit. Let's say it's a right.

You can't buy and sell your rights, you are sorta married to them. You are also sort of responsible for what you do with them.

What might be cool is if the same thing happened with guns. Say you buy a gun..you are married to it for life. What ever happens with that gun..is on the owner. The owner is completely liable for the actions of the gun..as long as it exists.

Wonder how many gun owners would go for that. :doubt:

What are assault weapons , shotguns, pistols......? I'm glad you thought that through . Since foreclosures are hidden and unsettled result lost revenue to schools etc... People in those areas and there are millions like this yet you want to reinvent the wheel. fuck off and smoke what ever it is you smoke
WHy should law abiding citizen abide by gun confiscation..against there OWN will ......................to prevent tyranny= the purpose and declaration of the second amendment.

Last edited:

But since you guys think it's a right..lets go with that a bit. Let's say it's a right.

You can't buy and sell your rights, you are sorta married to them. You are also sort of responsible for what you do with them.

What might be cool is if the same thing happened with guns. Say you buy a gun..you are married to it for life. What ever happens with that gun..is on the owner. The owner is completely liable for the actions of the gun..as long as it exists.

I don't think it's fair to say that a gun owner should be responsible for when a gun gets stolen, you know?

And I say this very respectfully, but statistically speaking, we do not have a very large problem with homicides involving high-powered rifles.

According to statistics there are generally less than 350 people killed each year by rifles (that's everything, not just the so called 'assault rifles'). Against a US population of 315,000,000 it's not a very huge number (0.0001%).

However, on the other hand our Gov't kills tens of thousands of people every year with high-powered rifles, many of them being children and innocent civilians. Again, why are we safer with giving our guns to them?

I do.

Your gun.

Your problem.

Gun manufacturers should be liable as well.

If you folks do not want some responsible laws..at the very least, be responsible.

NO personal responsibility .....the gun is design to kill ...and it takes a person to pull the trigger captain thought process

Last edited:

What you should be asking ,how many rational people would go along with that.

What an absurd notion, If said gun owner commits a crime,we already have a solution in our legal system.

The absurd notion came from you folks.

That having a gun to shoot kids in the face is somehow a "right".

Well..if it's a right..treat it like one.

It's not an industry.
Nothing but off the wall absurdities

I do.

Your gun.

Your problem.

Gun manufacturers should be liable as well.

If you folks do not want some responsible laws..at the very least, be responsible.

Let me quickly ask, would you agree that this law should apply to all objects that can be used as weapons like bats and knives?

I need to check the numbers, but I believe bats are implicated in an equal amount of murders every year (in the US by US citizens) as rifles?

By the way, I'm not against meaningful and effective gun regulations...

The numbers on gun deaths have been "questionable" since the NRA had legislators pass to laws to squash them.

Why Does the NRA Fear the Truth About Gun Violence? - Bloomberg

Has been since 1996. Even with the suppression, the numbers gathered by independent auditors are staggering.

Dunno why any "law abiding" gun owner would be against this..

:eusa_whistle:

GUN LAWS ARE QUESTIONABLE BECAUSE OF THE NRA
What specific guns laws by the NRA are your comments referring toooo?

Last edited:
Care to cite one such case; I am not sure if there is one.

I don’t see how. I don’t have a problem with background checks at all but I also don’t think that a person that already owns a weapon should be unduly burdened by them to sell personally owned weapons to a neighbor. THAT is the big issue with background checks as the ‘gun show’ loophole is garbage. The vast majority of guns sold at a gun show are sold by dealers who STILL are required to do checks.

Mandatory gun locks solve nothing. I am unsure of why you even brought this up. What on earth do you think you are going to solve with that one?

PS. ‘to save the kids’ is one of the most morally bankrupt excuses on the planet. You do not need to pass law to control what people do in their own home (completely unenforceable btw) to protect the kids. Those laws are passed to conjure and enforce power grabs and that is about it. You can’t enforce it and you can’t protect people from themselves. It simply is not possible.

Let’s see if we can have a civil, logical discussion on banning high-powered weapons such as AR-15’s.

I do NOT support banning these weapons and here’s why. We’re always going to have these high-powered guns in existence

We'll always have weapons grade plutonium in existence, too.

, so we have 1 of 2 scenarios to pick from:

1.) We agree to have guns decentralized between (a) the gov't, (b) criminals and (c) law abiding citizens OR

2.) We agree to centralize gun ownership into the hands of only (a) the gov’t and (b) criminals

Wait - I thought we were just talking about AR-15s. Now you're saying all guns.

Go back and think this over a bit and get back to us.

Forum List

Back