Batavia high teacher faces discipline for reminding students about rights

Its Batavia, Illinois, the liberal vultures moved out of Chicago and the inner burbs and are taking over the outer, once conservative comunties. Think of it like in the movie "independence day" when the alliens devour a planets resources and move on to another planet. lol..

That area of illinois is screaming red, it was likely some jesus freak GOP shitheads trying to find out who was "doing evil sins" to force their bible garbage on them.

and you know what is so funny? what happend to the middle class liberals living there? they ran to places like Arizona. Just last year I was in living in the Phoenix area for 6 months and my liberal friend and her husband from my youth were bitching about the "RiCH" taxing them out of thier home in West Dunde Illinois They coulndt figure it out the Fucking democrats of Illinois is what screwed them over.

Another idiotic post. West dundee is another far distant suburb basically in the cornfields that is screaming red.

The dumbfuck republicans ruin everything no matter where they are.

Last edited:
What the teacher did was illegal and he will be lucky to escape criminal prosecution. He was giving specific legal advice. He crossed the line from teaching into practicing law.

Wow. Why would a school put students' names on a questionnaire like that?

Its Batavia, Illinois, the liberal vultures moved out of Chicago and the inner burbs and are taking over the outer, once conservative comunties. Think of it like in the movie "independence day" when the alliens devour a planets resources and move on to another planet. lol..

What evidence do you have that the school administrators are ‘liberals?

According to the school board the issue concerned employee conduct:

But board members said the questionnaire was developed as a way to detect kids at risk of harming themselves and was prompted by a rash of suicides. They further stressed that there was no intent to punish students who reported using drugs or alcohol.

"The issue before the board tonight was whether one employee has the right to mischaracterize the efforts of our teachers, counselors, social workers and others, and tell our students, in effect, that the adults are not here to help, but that they are trying to get you to 'incriminate' yourselves," Superintendent Jack Barshinger stated in a letter to the Batavia community.

After two hours of closed session discussion, the board voted on Tuesday night to put an official "letter of remedy" on Dryden's file for what was termed "improper conduct." Newly elected member Jon Gaspar was the sole "no" vote to the decision.

Batavia teacher who told students they had Constitutional right not to fill out survey disciplined - chicagotribune.com

Moreover, pubic sector employees do not enjoy First Amendment free speech protection concerning statements pursuant to their official duties, which is clearly the case here. See: Garcetti v. Ceballos (2006).

The Garcetti Court was clear that public sector employee can indeed be subject to punitive measures for speech made in an official capacity as a legitimate aspect of a job performance evaluation. It would be pointless for the teacher to file suit accordingly.

What evidence do I have? I lived it and breathed it..in wheeling Illinois in 1955 you could ride a horse down, the now Dundee rd. I was born in 1965 but I know the storys. I know the burbs of Illinois like a book. between the years of 1972 and 2004 when I said kiss my ass I democrats I'am out of here.... anyways the population of Batavia exploded 36% since 1980...and I know who is trying to devour another comunitie it is the fuck head democrats from Chicago....Again you screw up Chicago and the inner burbs and you move out and fuck them up with there low cost of living.... Where the hell is Will Smith, Bill Pullman, Jeff Goldblum when you need them? To kill these allien blood sucking liberal creatures?

Batavia Park District History
The first tax was levied in 1970. The first ... Two large properties, Blackard Park and the Batavia Boat Club were also ... Batavia 's population: 17,076, a 36% increase since 1980

What the teacher did was illegal and he will be lucky to escape criminal prosecution. He was giving specific legal advice. He crossed the line from teaching into practicing law.

No he didnt, was he a fucking teacher, or did his students have him on retainer? you do know what that hell is right? it was his Opinion.......

No, he did not. Good for teachers who defend their own and the students' rights. He sounds like a good conservative.

No, he did not. Good for teachers who defend their own and the students' rights. He sounds like a good conservative.

oh good good grief another person that dont know the law, like I do. his 30 kids or what ever..... didnt have the teacher on Retainer.....It was just his opinion...he didnt break any law. We do have the 1st for the fools on the left and right. I feel like I am debating on a Snoopys comic strip.

What evidence do you have that the school administrators are ‘liberals?

According to the school board the issue concerned employee conduct:

Moreover, pubic sector employees do not enjoy First Amendment free speech protection concerning statements pursuant to their official duties, which is clearly the case here. See: Garcetti v. Ceballos (2006).

The Garcetti Court was clear that public sector employee can indeed be subject to punitive measures for speech made in an official capacity as a legitimate aspect of a job performance evaluation. It would be pointless for the teacher to file suit accordingly.

What evidence do I have? I lived it and breathed it..in wheeling Illinois in 1955 you could ride a horse down, the now Dundee rd. I was born in 1965 but I know the storys. I know the burbs of Illinois like a book. between the years of 1972 and 2004 when I said kiss my ass I democrats I'am out of here.... anyways the population of Batavia exploded 36% since 1980...and I know who is trying to devour another comunitie it is the fuck head democrats from Chicago....Again you screw up Chicago and the inner burbs and you move out and fuck them up with there low cost of living.... Where the hell is Will Smith, Bill Pullman, Jeff Goldblum when you need them? To kill these allien blood sucking liberal creatures?

Batavia Park District History
The first tax was levied in 1970. The first ... Two large properties, Blackard Park and the Batavia Boat Club were also ... Batavia 's population: 17,076, a 36% increase since 1980

Another stupid post, how is it "da libs" fault when that city and even country vote across the board (R)? The problem as usual with everything in the government is the GOP pieces of shit.

Wow, what a steaming turd! Of course, an authoritarian like you would MUCH rather have people ignorant of rights and/or afraid to exercise them.

bear513 does not quite grasp that the teacher was not practicing law but advising students on regulations whether they should or not do the surveys.

No he didnt, was he a fucking teacher, or did his students have him on retainer? you do know what that hell is right? it was his Opinion.......

The exchange of money is not necessary to be found guilty of the practice of law. Had he just given information as to the Bill of Rights he was fine. When he gave specific advice on what to do or say that crossed the line.

The exchange of money is not necessary to be found guilty of the practice of law. Had he just given information as to the Bill of Rights he was fine. When he gave specific advice on what to do or say that crossed the line.

No, he did not, and you can be sanctioned, if you are a lawyer, for deliberating giving false or bad advice.

Batavia High teacher faces discipline for reminding students about rights - Illinois Review
A high school social studies teacher in Batavia, Illinois, faces disciplinary action for informing students of their Fifth Amendment rights in connection with a survey asking about illegal drug use. The survey, ostensibly aimed at assessing the needs of students at Batavia High School, was distributed on April 18. After picking up the survey forms from his mailbox about 10 minutes before his first class of the day, John Dryden noticed that they had students' names on them and that they asked about drinking and drug use, among other subjects. Dryden, who had just finished teaching a unit on the Bill of Rights, worried that students might feel obliged to incriminate themselves—an especially ticklish situation given the police officer stationed at the school. Since there was no time to confer with administrators, he says, he decided to tell his students that they did not have to complete the forms if doing so involved admitting illegal behavior. Tomorrow the school board will consider whether and how to punish Dryden for taking advantage of this teachable moment.

Reminds me of my school during Viet Nam. The Administration, not the teachers, didn't want us to realize our rights.

Yes, dear. Back in the '60s liberals were the biggest advocates of free speech, 1A protections for journalists, and other civil rights. Today it's the opposite, as the fascist left supports the worst offender of civil rights in this country since FDR. Because it is no longer "tolerance for those whose views we find repulsive" but "it's payback time."
That's your Democratic Party today. Enjoy!

The reactionaries, like The Rabbi, do not believe in free speech.

They would turn it of in a heart beat and beat real Americans in jail.

The reactionaries, like The Rabbi, do not believe in free speech.

They would turn it of in a heart beat and beat real Americans in jail.

So sayeth Jake, King of the Unsubstantiated Statement.

Say, Fakey Jakey, which side supports Citizens United, the greatest case of 1A rights in this century? Which side supported Juan Williams when he was terminated for talking about Muslims? Which side is appalled at Justice's targeting of journalists and which side is excusing it?

Reactionaries like you and radicals like huggy support all of these things, Rabbi King of the Unsubstantiated Statement.

Almost every conservative on here, however, is all for drug testing people recieving welfare and unemployment benifits. You guys should be all for this. If the kids are getting an education through your tax dollars they should be drug free.

Almost every conservative on here, however, is all for drug testing people recieving welfare and unemployment benifits. You guys should be all for this. If the kids are getting an education through your tax dollars they should be drug free.

Do you think kids should not be drug free? Would explain many of your posts.

Another clear example of The Rabbi, King of the Progressive Right Wing Statists that would use Big Government power to force Americans against their will.

Another clear example of The Rabbi, King of the Progressive Right Wing Statists that would use Big Government power to force Americans against their will.

Do you think kids should not be drug free, oh Jake, King of the Stupid Statement?

Forum List

Back