Zone1 Be Thou My Vision, O Lord --Songs of love and trusting in God

I don’t think I posted this one, but if I did forgive. It is one of my favorites, and especially with Jos Slovak’s mesmerizing voice.

I am a Poor Wayfaring Stranger has been sung by many, including Johnny Cash, but I like this one best.

According to godtube.com:

"Wayfaring Stranger" is a Christian hymn that arose from an African American spiritual song of the 19th century. Its scripture references include Psalm 39, Psalm 119, 2 Corinthians 3, and Hebrews 11-13. The lyrics of this hymn illustrate the life of a Christian longing for their home of God's kingdom as a "wayfaring stranger" on earth.

I’m going there to see my Saviour,
Who shed for me His precious blood;
I’m just a going over Jordan,
I’m just a going over home.

I could be converted by song alone, music has that power to speak to soul and heart….the language of God?

This is another good one: By the Rivers of Babylon, a more joyous call for the freedom and liberation promised by God to all.

It too has an interesting history, and this version is from tbe 70’swith a disco beat (but I like it).

From Preview – Rivers of Babylon (Boney M) –[Multimedia-English videos]:
This song is based on the Biblical psalm 137 and also psalm 19:14. Those psalms talk about the time when the Jews were enslaved and taken to Babylon. They suffered terribly and missed their homeland, but they knew how to turn a horrible crises into a new strength, and after many years of purification and evolution, they could be free again and return home.

African slaves taken to America soon became Christians, and understandably they quickly indentified with the suffering people of Israel. Israelites had been slaves in Egypt for many generations, but God liberated them through Moses. Later, they were enslaved again by Babylon, but God liberated them again. So black slaves in America retained part of their dignity in the conviction that they were also a people dear to God and one day He would liberate them just as He had done twice with the Jews, and they would be free again (as it finally happened). That’s why the story of Moses and the Babylon exile were a powerful token for black slaves, a ray of hope in their darkness, the promise for future freedom. At that time, Black slaves were weeping for their lost Sion (Africa) in a strange land (America).

An earlier version was by the Reggae band, the Melodians, also good.

I don’t think I posted this one, but if I did forgive. It is one of my favorites, and especially with Jos Slovak’s mesmerizing voice.

I am a Poor Wayfaring Stranger has been sung by many, including Johnny Cash, but I like this one best.

According to godtube.com:

"Wayfaring Stranger" is a Christian hymn that arose from an African American spiritual song of the 19th century. Its scripture references include Psalm 39, Psalm 119, 2 Corinthians 3, and Hebrews 11-13. The lyrics of this hymn illustrate the life of a Christian longing for their home of God's kingdom as a "wayfaring stranger" on earth.

I’m going there to see my Saviour,
Who shed for me His precious blood;
I’m just a going over Jordan,
I’m just a going over home.

I could be converted by song alone, music has that power to speak to soul and heart….the language of God?

One of my Presbyterian choirmasters in Oregon, had a saying "He who sings prays twice." That saying never left me. Funny, I never heard this one that you shared, but it touches my soul from the highest to lowest point. Thanks much. He also was a department chair for music in a large college nearby, where he started a local civic chorale in which we sang Vivaldi's Gloria and Hayden's The Messiah, the year before we returned to Wyoming. He made us sound like professionals, and taught us to sing by memory without holding musical pamphlets or books. His wife was one of my best friends while we lived there. They were special folks to my growth in faith in the beauty and goodness of the Lord God.

Near to the Heart of God--two versions, both lovely in their sincerity

Last edited:
A history of the hymn, "Near to the Heart of God." by Pastor McClellan
It was meant to comfort people who lost loved ones to diptheria in 1901.
It targeted children under the age of 12. No DPT shots available back then. :(

John Rutter's beautiful music with words from
The Lord Bless You and Keep You

T

o black slaves in America retained part of their dignity in the conviction that they were also a people dear to God and one day He would liberate them just as He had done twice with the Jews, and they would be free again (as it finally happened). That’s why the story of Moses and the Babylon exile were a powerful token for black slaves, a ray of hope in their darkness, the promise for future freedom. At that time, Black slaves were weeping for their lost Sion (Africa) in a strange land (America).

An earlier version was by the Reggae band, the Melodians, also good.

well, a lot of evil happens to people, esp (it seems) christians. No, wait.. scratch tht "seems"

christians do suffer more than others an Jesus told us this would be the case --"You will be hated by all because of My name"

But in any case, the Blacks have done well for themselves in the US, although obviously not all of them. I'm sure none of them would go back to Africa if given the chance or very few anyhow.

What the world needs now is love, sweet love
It's the only thing that there's just too little of
No not just for some but for everyone

Lord, we don't need another mountain
There are mountains and hillsides enough to climb
There are oceans and rivers enough to cross
Enough to last till the end of time

No, not just for some but for everyone

Lord, we don't need another meadow
There are cornfields and wheat fields enough to grow
There are sunbeams and moonbeams enough to shine
Oh listen, Lord, if you want to know

No, not just for some but for everyone

No, not just for some, oh, but just for everyone

----------------- Burt Bacharach, Hal David and Jackie DeShannon

Last edited:
What a Friend We Have in Jesus
the Christian hymn What a Friend We Have in Jesus by Joseph M. Scriven, who wrote it in 1855 to comfort his mother in Iceland...

Celtic Worship ft. Steph Macleod​

Last edited:
An Irish Blessing: may the road rise to meet you

May the Score to this Lovely Hymn bless you

♥️~~~Oh, the voices~~~ ♥️

Last edited:
Comfort to those who still love and miss friends and family who passed:​

Concordia University A Cappella Choir - "Benediction" - Columbia Avenue Sessions​

This group of choirs is very comforting :thup:
More beauty from Concordia choirs--It is well with my soul..

Our church's children sang this song of Moses when I taught children's choir at vacation bible school

Forum List

Back