Because of no right to own firearms...

And what percentage of people end arguments by shooting someone?

in 2016 there were 11000 homicides committed with firearms that's .003% of the population

Since we know some people kill more than one person then the percentage of people who kill with guns is even lower

Now how many of those were so called petty disputes?

Since there are so few gun on the streets by civilians the numbers are low and we need to keep it that way. Like the person in the Florida Theater that pulled out his gun and shot and killed a person because he didn't like the way he was eating popcorn. I imagine there is more to that story but had the gun not been a factor, maybe a good ass beating would have been in order instead.
First let me commend you on your posts... I enjoy reading them and they are well thought out!

I see it diametrically opposite than you... was that gun toting hot head in the theater under the (correct) assumption that he could act out impulsively because there were no other guns? If in lets say a small town Texas theater where he thought that perhaps 1/2 of the men and / or women were armed... would he have done what he did... I say, not as likely.

It wasn't covered very well. It happened in a deep red area and there wasn't enough supporting information to really tell what went on. But I can surmise that the dude took offense to a noisy eater and the noisy eater decided to go on a lip smacking obnoxious routine just to piss the dude off. BTW, the Gun was a legal gun since the Dude was a retired Deputy Sheriff. Tempers flare and BOOM. Take the gun out of the equation and an ass beating would have been in order.
Rare shit happens and there are "anomalies", (can we agree, not all that germain) which are not a good predictor of broad sweeping generalities in population / legislation / policies... Generally speaking I think anyone would be more reticent to pull any weapon surrounded by their peers possessing that same weapon. Just my honest opinion drawn from life... (especially my floozy bar hopping days)... lol

One would think that except it's false. We are no more civilized now than we were in 1869. In 1869, in cities like Dallas, Denver and the like, on weekends, the Cowboys showed up with their sidearms straped on their hips. As the party continue, they got a little wild. Booze got into the mix, tempers flaired and people died. And this included innocent bystanders. We even still have a law on the Colorado Books about At the Ready but it's no longer enforced or needed. So most Cities in the West went to the no open carry of firearms within city limits. And it was enforced by whatever means was necessary. We have to be able to learn from our own history or we fail once again. More Guns at the rate it was in the West in 1869 means a lot of unnecessary killing and bloodshed that we need to avoid.
EXCEPT in 20 years that has NOT HAPPENED. 20 YEARS of increasing firearms by double or triple and NO wild shoot outs in the streets in FACT less firearms shootings have occurred. YOUR ENTIRE premise is proven false over and over.

Since there are so few gun on the streets by civilians the numbers are low and we need to keep it that way. Like the person in the Florida Theater that pulled out his gun and shot and killed a person because he didn't like the way he was eating popcorn. I imagine there is more to that story but had the gun not been a factor, maybe a good ass beating would have been in order instead.
First let me commend you on your posts... I enjoy reading them and they are well thought out!

I see it diametrically opposite than you... was that gun toting hot head in the theater under the (correct) assumption that he could act out impulsively because there were no other guns? If in lets say a small town Texas theater where he thought that perhaps 1/2 of the men and / or women were armed... would he have done what he did... I say, not as likely.

It wasn't covered very well. It happened in a deep red area and there wasn't enough supporting information to really tell what went on. But I can surmise that the dude took offense to a noisy eater and the noisy eater decided to go on a lip smacking obnoxious routine just to piss the dude off. BTW, the Gun was a legal gun since the Dude was a retired Deputy Sheriff. Tempers flare and BOOM. Take the gun out of the equation and an ass beating would have been in order.
Rare shit happens and there are "anomalies", (can we agree, not all that germain) which are not a good predictor of broad sweeping generalities in population / legislation / policies... Generally speaking I think anyone would be more reticent to pull any weapon surrounded by their peers possessing that same weapon. Just my honest opinion drawn from life... (especially my floozy bar hopping days)... lol

One would think that except it's false. We are no more civilized now than we were in 1869. In 1869, in cities like Dallas, Denver and the like, on weekends, the Cowboys showed up with their sidearms straped on their hips. As the party continue, they got a little wild. Booze got into the mix, tempers flaired and people died. And this included innocent bystanders. We even still have a law on the Colorado Books about At the Ready but it's no longer enforced or needed. So most Cities in the West went to the no open carry of firearms within city limits. And it was enforced by whatever means was necessary. We have to be able to learn from our own history or we fail once again. More Guns at the rate it was in the West in 1869 means a lot of unnecessary killing and bloodshed that we need to avoid.
EXCEPT in 20 years that has NOT HAPPENED. 20 YEARS of increasing firearms by double or triple and NO wild shoot outs in the streets in FACT less firearms shootings have occurred. YOUR ENTIRE premise is proven false over and over.
I want to agree with the last, however, in all fairness the palm of the judicial system (dotting the i's and xing the t's) has pressed ever more down on the citizenry. Sure there were the good ol hangings but by and large it was a gun culture permissive to the point of shooting out cigarettes from the lips of a lady while surrounded by folk in an arena. We have a whole lot more people now and even though there are probably over a million more guns, the ratio has gone down drastically I'm sure.

I want to agree with the last, however, in all fairness the palm of the judicial system (dotting the i's and xing the t's) has pressed ever more down on the citizenry. Sure there were the good ol hangings but by and large it was a gun culture permissive to the point of shooting out cigarettes from the lips of a lady while surrounded by folk in an arena. We have a whole lot more people now and even though there are probably over a million more guns, the ratio has gone down drastically I'm sure.
There are 200 to 400 MILLION more firearms.

That's fantastic to hear, until I just looked up the number of people in the US, I was going to say your number was too high. Good news, perhaps we can have a provisional 'lend a liberal a gun day' (yes I know... it's illegal now, as the laws are girded too tight). lol

That's fantastic to hear, until I just looked up the number of people in the US, I was going to say your number was too high. Good news, perhaps we can have a provisional 'lend a liberal a gun day' (yes I know... it's illegal now, as the laws are girded too tight). lol
According to the Government 49 percent of households have at least one firearm in them of course if you listen to the liberal liars they claim 3 percent own all the firearms.

in 2016 there were 11000 homicides committed with firearms that's .003% of the population

Since we know some people kill more than one person then the percentage of people who kill with guns is even lower

Na, not really...
Firearms have no control over people

The vast majority of the violent crime in this country is in Progressive controlled urban areas... With extremely strict gun control laws
Yup,like Chicago where you can walk 10 blocks and buy one
People kill people not firearms

No, people with firearms kill people
People with knives kill people
People with baseball bats kill people
People kill people with their bare hands

People kill people
People have always killed people
People will always kill people

This is a fact as irrefutable as gravity

Now knowing this fact why on earth would you not want a gun?

It's just much easier to end a petty argument with a gun than all the other things you mentioned. Most of the ones you name take time and effort and can usually be stopped in time if there are others around with the will to stop it. But if you use a gun, it's fast and final and you can only be stopped after the fact.

And yet gun owners, legal ones, are not ending petty arguments with guns...... you are throwing that out with no basis in the truth....

People who commit murder, with guns or without, are not normal people who kill in the heat of an argument....90% of them have long histories of crime and violence going back to their teenage years and have at least one felony.... the others are violent but likely escaped being arrested by chance...

JURIST - The Criminology of Firearms

In 2004, the National Academy of Sciences reviewed 253 journal articles, 99 books, 43 government publications and some empirical research of its own about guns. The Academy could not identify any gun restriction that had reduced violent crime, suicide or gun accidents.

Why don't gun bans work? Because they rely on voluntary compliance by gun-using criminals. Prohibitionists never see this absurdity because they deceive themselves into thinking that, as Katherine Christoffel has said: "[M]ost shootings are not committed by felons or mentally ill people, but are acts of passion that are committed using a handgun that is owned for home protection."

Christoffel, et al., are utterly wrong. The whole corpus of criminological research dating back to the 1890'sshows murderers "almost uniformly have a long history of involvement in criminal behavior," and that "[v]irtually all" murderers and other gun criminals have prior felony records — generally long ones.

While only 15 percent of Americans have criminal records, roughly 90 percent of adult murderers have prior adult records — exclusive of their often extensive juvenile records — with crime careers of six or more adult years including four major felonies. Gerald D. Robin, writing for the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences,notes that, unlike ordinary gun owners, "the average murderer turns out to be no less hardened a criminal than the average robber or burglar."

The vast majority of the violent crime in this country is in Progressive controlled urban areas... With extremely strict gun control laws

People kill people

It's just much easier to end a petty argument with a gun than all the other things you mentioned. Most of the ones you name take time and effort and can usually be stopped in time if there are others around with the will to stop it. But if you use a gun, it's fast and final and you can only be stopped after the fact.

And as research shows, people with concealed carry permits are more law abiding than even sworn police officers......you don't know what you are talking about....

People kill people

Ifs buts and maybes are all you have

and anyone who can pass a background check can buy a gun and get a CCW permit

That people don't choose to do so has nothing to do with keeping the number of guns in the hands of people to a minimum.

It has more to do with a misplaced trust in government law enforcement

Except NOT one of your claims is true. FBI CDC and other Government sources all verify that firearms related incidents are all going DOWN and have been since the 90's. As firearm ownership goes up death and accidents all are going down. As for violent crime in the US it is pretty much confined to large democrat run cities with LOTS of blacks and Hispanics. In England it is EVERY where even the small towns.

In the US, they went down not because of more guns in lawful citizens hands. That has had nothing to do with anything other than not allow the accidental shootings to go down faster. The Gun related Violent Crimes went down due to the inner cities efforts in combating gun related crimes. Almost all inner cities rates have gone down since 1993. I can try and tell you it's because of the heavy gun regulations but that isn't it. It's the training of police and community involvement that have caused it to go down. I can remember when Denver was the Cop Murder Capital of the World. The number of Cops being shot there was staggering. Denver had a Mayor change and the new Mayor put together Community Action Groups that worked closely with the Police Forces and the Community. And they busted about half the Cops for corruption while they were at it. They started these programs in the early 90s but it wasn't until the late 90s or early 2000s that it started making a difference. More Guns or More Gun Regulations had nothing to do with it. NYC did the same thing in the early 2000s and the murder rate and gun related violent crimes went way down. I have NEVER claimed they have gone up. You are just making crap up again trying to discredit the person mauling your heroes. Shall I tear into you for a bit or are you going to start actually discussing things like a human.

Guns in the hands of 99.999% of the people are a neutral entity

That was already tried in the 1860s. Hence the changes started in 1871. Wonder why that was?

Easy

control.

Sorry to break it to you but we are no more civilized now then we were then. The Control difference is from "Gun Control" and that is all that makes the difference. Before that, there really wasn't much of gun regulations in the west and it just got out of hand. During the same time period, in the East, there was quite a bit of gun control and also a lot of Community force to prevent the same thing from happening. All Cities like Dallas did was go to the same laws that Philly and NYC had in place that got rid of the open murders they had before they passed the open carry there.

I never said we were did I?

And FYI the so called Wild West wasn't very wild. Spaghetti westerns and dime novels are not recommended for get history lessons

The Not So Wild, Wild West | Terry Anderson, P.J. Hill

Aren't there stiff penalties for imbibing while carrying in an establishment. I know for sure that if one were to draw, let alone fire there would be a shit load of explaining to do and likely prosecution...?

A mean drunk cold care less. There are penalties for beating the crap out of the guy on the next bar stool but that doesn't seem to stop a mean drunk. Now, remove the fear of getting the crap beat out of yourself, add in the removal of inhibitions, add in the gun and you have a shooting in the making. That loud mouth that might have not had the nerve to go through with fighting now has the capability to do so. And he isn't thinking about the law. And a drunk with a gun is a poor shot. There is usually innocent bystanders that are shot up. Welcome to Dallas circa 1869. If you believe that half of the people in Texas are armed, don't. Most aren't armed. It's a myth. I know a lot of people there and MOST are not armed while in public. It's not practical or social. The Gun Nutters want you to think most are armed all the time. But it's their own fantasy, not reality. Now, they might have a gun in the trunk but not on their person. But most leave their guns at home or they don't even own a gun in Texas. There are too many Rexall Rangers running around wanting to relive the Wild Wild West. I don't. I lived part of that growing up. Not about the guns, but the hard work, long hours, broken and injured bodies from the accidents, the cold, the heat and more. There is a reason many of us got as far away from Ranching as you can get in the 60s and learned other trades.

I can spot a wanna be a mile off. I call them Rexall Ranger. Others call them Drugstore Cowboys. Yes, we could shoot. Yes, when we went into the rougher areas, went armed with at lest a carbine and sometimes a sidearm. But those weren't for shooting people. In fact, they were there to make noise more than not to discourage the big Cats and Bears from doing something stupid. Or we might take a long gun to bring back meat. But when we went into town, the guns went back into the racks and into the drawers. Towns were not the place to have guns. Too many stupid people. And none of that has changed even today 50 years later and won't change 100 years in the future. These Rexall Rangers want to go back to a life that never existed. It was only in the Penny Dreadfuls or Dime Novels that had some truth in them but mostly were only written to wow the rubes.

We don't need more guns. More Guns don't mean less crime. If you get too many guns, you get more crime as they found out during the 1860s right after the Civil War when many left both Armies and for the first time, had side arms and then drifted west. If you don't learn from your past, you will repeat the past over and over again.

People kill people

That people don't choose to do so has nothing to do with keeping the number of guns in the hands of people to a minimum.

Then I suggest you work with your community to change that. And I don't mean grab the trusty shootin' iron and go for yer Revolusun. I mean work with the community to get both sides to work together. Get more people into the CCW program. Something strange happens after the Course with the person. They actually become responsible gun owners and it's not done by magic. If you community has a huge distrust with it's government, do something to change that. Start somewhere or quit bitching.

In the US, they went down not because of more guns in lawful citizens hands. That has had nothing to do with anything other than not allow the accidental shootings to go down faster. The Gun related Violent Crimes went down due to the inner cities efforts in combating gun related crimes. Almost all inner cities rates have gone down since 1993. I can try and tell you it's because of the heavy gun regulations but that isn't it. It's the training of police and community involvement that have caused it to go down. I can remember when Denver was the Cop Murder Capital of the World. The number of Cops being shot there was staggering. Denver had a Mayor change and the new Mayor put together Community Action Groups that worked closely with the Police Forces and the Community. And they busted about half the Cops for corruption while they were at it. They started these programs in the early 90s but it wasn't until the late 90s or early 2000s that it started making a difference. More Guns or More Gun Regulations had nothing to do with it. NYC did the same thing in the early 2000s and the murder rate and gun related violent crimes went way down. I have NEVER claimed they have gone up. You are just making crap up again trying to discredit the person mauling your heroes. Shall I tear into you for a bit or are you going to start actually discussing things like a human.

That was already tried in the 1860s. Hence the changes started in 1871. Wonder why that was?

Easy

control.

Sorry to break it to you but we are no more civilized now then we were then. The Control difference is from "Gun Control" and that is all that makes the difference. Before that, there really wasn't much of gun regulations in the west and it just got out of hand. During the same time period, in the East, there was quite a bit of gun control and also a lot of Community force to prevent the same thing from happening. All Cities like Dallas did was go to the same laws that Philly and NYC had in place that got rid of the open murders they had before they passed the open carry there.

And FYI the so called Wild West wasn't very wild. Spaghetti westerns and dime novels are not recommended for get history lessons

Then you can understand where I am coming from about having too many people armed at all times then. You can't pick and choose who can be armed. You end up with the good and the bad. And trust me, the Bad will be Bad no matter what. Not having the Gun, the Bad just won't be as bad.

People kill people

And yet gun owners, legal ones, are not ending petty arguments with guns...... you are throwing that out with no basis in the truth....

People who commit murder, with guns or without, are not normal people who kill in the heat of an argument....90% of them have long histories of crime and violence going back to their teenage years and have at least one felony.... the others are violent but likely escaped being arrested by chance...

In 2004, the National Academy of Sciences reviewed 253 journal articles, 99 books, 43 government publications and some empirical research of its own about guns. The Academy could not identify any gun restriction that had reduced violent crime, suicide or gun accidents.

Why don't gun bans work? Because they rely on voluntary compliance by gun-using criminals. Prohibitionists never see this absurdity because they deceive themselves into thinking that, as Katherine Christoffel has said: "[M]ost shootings are not committed by felons or mentally ill people, but are acts of passion that are committed using a handgun that is owned for home protection."

Christoffel, et al., are utterly wrong. The whole corpus of criminological research dating back to the 1890'sshows murderers "almost uniformly have a long history of involvement in criminal behavior," and that "[v]irtually all" murderers and other gun criminals have prior felony records — generally long ones.

While only 15 percent of Americans have criminal records, roughly 90 percent of adult murderers have prior adult records — exclusive of their often extensive juvenile records — with crime careers of six or more adult years including four major felonies. Gerald D. Robin, writing for the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences,notes that, unlike ordinary gun owners, "the average murderer turns out to be no less hardened a criminal than the average robber or burglar."
FirearmFacts.png

People kill people

FirearmFacts.png
Your chart does NOT support your claims at ALL.

People kill people

Then I suggest you work with your community to change that. And I don't mean grab the trusty shootin' iron and go for yer Revolusun. I mean work with the community to get both sides to work together. Get more people into the CCW program. Something strange happens after the Course with the person. They actually become responsible gun owners and it's not done by magic. If you community has a huge distrust with it's government, do something to change that. Start somewhere or quit bitching.

Work to do what?

I have no problem with people who are legally able to purchase a firearm being able to carry a weapon

IMO if you can legally purchase a gun then you don't need any additional permits to carry

And IDGAF if people in my community mistrust or trust the government that's their choice and none of my business

I do not trust government law enforcement to protect me because as the supreme court decided in CO a police department has absolutely no legal obligation to come to the aid of anyone

Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone

Anyone who doesn't want a gun to protect themselves after reading this is a fucking idiot

People kill people

FirearmFacts.png

Gee gun crimes down when gun ownership rises

And suicide is a red herring and completely irrelevant to the gun issue because anyone can commit suicide without a gun.

Easy

control.

Then you can understand where I am coming from about having too many people armed at all times then. You can't pick and choose who can be armed. You end up with the good and the bad. And trust me, the Bad will be Bad no matter what. Not having the Gun, the Bad just won't be as bad.

There is no such thing as too many law abiding people carrying guns.

People kill people

FirearmFacts.png
We only have a violent crime crisis in progressive controlled urban areas...
Where gun control laws are super strict...

People kill people

FirearmFacts.png
Lowest rate since al Capone.
I feel safer now.
Such stupidity

Forum List

Back