Being retired

I am relieved that I don't have to work as hard as I did before I retired. I just wish I was still able to do it.
Are you sure you canā€™t? Iā€™ve seen many people who think they must work, yet have a nice nest egg. Have you really analyzed it? Are you aware of the 4% Rule?

A family friend just assumed she couldnā€™t retire. Yet she had no debt, nice paid for home, and over $500k saved. She was still working at 66 when her employer told her retire or we fire you. She was making lots of mistakes and her attitude was poor. So, she retired took SS and is doing great.

I was surprised when I was shown I could retire. My wife was about to get 30 years in (only 55) and was reluctant to retire. I wanted her to. I told her we would go see a financial expert. After going over our finances he showed us where we both could retire. I have to admit that handling this is one area I have no interest in. I wish I could but I have none. He takes care of it and it's been great so far.

One note.........the one big reason we were able to pull this off is because we could afford to keep her health care. Through my work it would have cost twice as much. I still have 5.5 years to Medicare. She has just under 8 and we have a daughter still in college that is on our insurance.
I know what you mean about being surprised. I had always worked and never considered not working. When i realized I hated my job, I started doing research on retirement and quickly realized we were in great shape to retire. So, we both retired and sold off or gave away everything. We bought a luxury diesel motorhome and have been traveling the country.
nice

I am relieved that I don't have to work as hard as I did before I retired. I just wish I was still able to do it.
Are you sure you canā€™t? Iā€™ve seen many people who think they must work, yet have a nice nest egg. Have you really analyzed it? Are you aware of the 4% Rule?

A family friend just assumed she couldnā€™t retire. Yet she had no debt, nice paid for home, and over $500k saved. She was still working at 66 when her employer told her retire or we fire you. She was making lots of mistakes and her attitude was poor. So, she retired took SS and is doing great.

I was surprised when I was shown I could retire. My wife was about to get 30 years in (only 55) and was reluctant to retire. I wanted her to. I told her we would go see a financial expert. After going over our finances he showed us where we both could retire. I have to admit that handling this is one area I have no interest in. I wish I could but I have none. He takes care of it and it's been great so far.

One note.........the one big reason we were able to pull this off is because we could afford to keep her health care. Through my work it would have cost twice as much. I still have 5.5 years to Medicare. She has just under 8 and we have a daughter still in college that is on our insurance.
Congrats! Just so I understand what you wrote, are you keeping your wife's health care through Cobra? Is that what you meant by being able to afford the keep her health care?

Yes, we have kept her health care. She was the City Clerk where we live so it's through the state.

Retirement isnā€™t for everyone, but it is nice not having to put up with the bs working people often have to.

Retirement never occurred to me as a viable possibility until it sort of just fell on me. Now, life is easy and enjoyable despite the changes of age. Going for a bike ride as long and as often is one likes is great freedom!
Of course, living where healthcare is intelligently dealt with helps tremendously.

Forum List

Back