Ben Stein: 'I Don't Think Trump Knows A Goddamn Thing About Economics'

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
3228.jpg

Ben Stein, writer, economist, actor and Republican, has seen a lot of elections but none like this. “It has been an extremely strange year,” says the 71-year-old who got his start as a speechwriter for Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford.

Stein has never voted for a Democrat, but he is appalled by Trump’s anti-free trade rhetoric that he says could lead to a trade war. Hillary Clinton probably has a better grasp of things, Stein thinks. Bernie Sanders, on the other hand, is “willfully ignorant”.

What do you think of Trump as a businessman?

He is not a great businessman. He inherited a great deal of money. He did some successful real estate deals. Hardly anyone could miss doing successful real estate deals in New York considering the incredible boom that has taken place and the very low base point when he started out. He is not a great businessman at all – in no way.

I don’t think Trump knows a goddamn thing about economics.

More: Ben Stein: 'I don't think Trump knows a goddamn thing about economics'

Amen, Ben, I totally agree! I read some articles a while back stating that if Trump had simply invested his inheritance he would be worth as much or even more than he is today. Meaning - his bravado is nothing but bullshit.

Trump Worth $10 Billion Less Than If He’d Simply Invested in Index Funds

The 1 Easy Way Donald Trump Could Have Been Even Richer: Doing Nothing

What's More Lucrative: "The Apprentice" or the S&P 500?

Should Trump Have Indexed?

Donald Trump isn't rich because he's a great investor. He's rich because his dad was rich.

3228.jpg

Ben Stein, writer, economist, actor and Republican, has seen a lot of elections but none like this. “It has been an extremely strange year,” says the 71-year-old who got his start as a speechwriter for Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford.

Stein has never voted for a Democrat, but he is appalled by Trump’s anti-free trade rhetoric that he says could lead to a trade war. Hillary Clinton probably has a better grasp of things, Stein thinks. Bernie Sanders, on the other hand, is “willfully ignorant”.

He is not a great businessman. He inherited a great deal of money. He did some successful real estate deals. Hardly anyone could miss doing successful real estate deals in New York considering the incredible boom that has taken place and the very low base point when he started out. He is not a great businessman at all – in no way.

Amen, Ben, I totally agree! I read some articles a while back stating that if Trump had simply invested his inheritance he would be worth as much or even more than he is today. Meaning - his bravado is nothing but bullshit.

Donald Trump isn't rich because he's a great investor. He's rich because his dad was rich.
Screw Ben Stein. He's a Jew!

3228.jpg

Don't you like Jews?

Nixon sure knew alot about economics and wage and price controls. the elite, who prosper from 20 trillion deficits know nothing about economics.

3228.jpg

Don't you like Jews?

Jews, Blacks, Trans... Watch out if you're all three... McDumbass' ignorance knows no bounds...

I like Stein, always have. He's worth paying attention to...

I personally don't like Ben Stein, but I do have to admit that he's pretty intelligent when it comes to economics.

I also used to like watching his show "Win Ben Stein's Money", because he had people go head to head with him in a trivia based game show. He rarely had to pay any money out because he was smarter than most.

Stein is an actor/author and a moderate republican. His opinion about Trump and economics is valid if he used the same logic on Barry Hussein. Trump is a self made billionaire and Barry Hussein never made a dime in his life that wasn't skimmed from an endowment fund or paid for by taxpayers. Which politician has a better grasp of economics?

Apparently that Wharton education Trump likes to brag about didn't do much for him.

Stein is an actor/author and a moderate republican. His opinion about Trump and economics is valid if he used the same logic on Barry Hussein. Trump is a self made billionaire and Barry Hussein never made a dime in his life that wasn't skimmed from an endowment fund or paid for by taxpayers. Which politician has a better grasp of economics?

Apparently you didn't read the OP links.

Donald has done pretty good for himself. I don't think he would be a billionaire now by investing that one million he borrowed from his dad in index funds.

3228.jpg

A racist trump supporter? Is this the Mr Obvious show?

Bens' investments are tied into similar investments as U.S. pension funds are, which are approaching a cliff. He's buying time just like pensioners' are, hoping that they all die before the drop to the bottom. Tick-tock, tick-tock.........

Trump's a product of Business School who would likely be well aware of how "the magic of compound interest" manufactures debt faster than any productive economy can pay it off.

He's also had a lifetime of experience of influencing politicians:

"Politicians thus face a choice of whether to save banks and bondholders or the economy. Do they simply reward their major campaign contributors by giving banks enough central bank or taxpayer money to compensate losses on bad loans? Or do they restructure debts downward, imposing losses on large bank depositors, bondholders and other creditors by writing down bad debts so as to keep debt-strapped families solvent and in possession of their homes?"

http://store.counterpunch.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Killing-The-Host_PDF_V7.pdf(p.36)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back