Bennet & Portman bipartisan bill directs DOJ to place all the proceeds taken from the liquidation of Russian assets into a Ukrainian relief fund

Are these assets being taken by judicial review or is it just theft?

Being that we aren't at war with Russia how can they do this without due process of law?

President Biden said he endorses the bill and would sign it, so what's the hold up. hold a vote now!

This should be included to get the aid funds moving asap to Ukraine.

Being that we aren't at war with Russia how can they do this without due process of law?
Russia can contest it in international court but they probably should have consider all that prior to starting a mass bombing and murder campaign on Ukraine and its people.

Russia can contest it in international court but they probably should have consider all that prior to starting a mass bombing and murder campaign on Ukraine and its people.
why am international court? if they are here, they are protected by our Constitution, and due process is required.

I’m fine with it going to ukrainian aid after that

why am international court? if they are here, they are protected by our Constitution, and due process is required.

I’m fine with it going to ukrainian aid after that
Its similar to drug money. The money is already seized and Russia and Ukraine (or USA recovery on behalf of in lieu any aid package going now) could be done asap. Its obvious the damages are caused by Russia so the aid could be made asap like any loan.

Its similar to drug money. The money is already seized and Russia and Ukraine (or USA recovery on behalf of in lieu any aid package going now) could be done asap. Its obvious the damages are caused by Russia so the aid could be made asap like any loan.
it can be seized, but before it becomes US property there is due process…the govt has to show its connected to criminal conduct. There is a hearing etc

it can be seized, but before it becomes US property there is due process…the govt has to show its connected to criminal conduct. There is a hearing etc
And so? The point is that the money is already there, we know Russia started war, etc... and Ukraine needs funds now so let Ukraine use that now with the agreement it is repaid or collected from funds as soon as legalities are finalized. What's Russia going to say, "You can't prove we took action against you Ukraine?"

Funds are subject to US jurisdiction. Thus in control of the US Treasury and frozen until full settlements are reached and all complied with. Russia knew that funds under US jurisdiction are subject to US sanctionability.

And so? The point is that the money is already there, we know Russia started war, etc... and Ukraine needs funds now so let Ukraine use that now with the agreement it is repaid or collected from funds as soon as legalities are finalized. What's Russia going to say, "You can't prove we took action against you Ukraine?"
i have no pro else with the money going to ukraine. All i said was that due process is used

bipartisan bill directs DOJ to place all the proceeds taken from the liquidation of Russian assets into a Ukrainian relief fund​

I'm a bit fuzzy on where Biden gets the authority to seize other people's private assets from the other side of the world and just give them to another country! When do these Russians ever get their day in court to plead their case?

and? the US Comstitution says the govt can’t take life liberty or property without sue process
They are not US citizens but even if they wanted to apply constitutional laws the moment they use that US Treasury dollar they are subject to the rules that go along with it. So are you and I. Fact is they decided to go lawless and thought that they could still use that system that they do not own or control. Thus the money is held and they will have to have a legitimate order to even touch it. If you don't like the rules don't use that system to be a thug as the system has checks and balances built in to prevent thuggery and hold illegal actors accountable prior to full disposition in any case.

Contesting it in the World Court would open up a huge can of worms they don't want opened.

Contesting it in the World Court would open up a huge can of worms they don't want opened.
Yeah and it is ignorant for any terrorist nation be it Russia or any of the others to believe that they will just be able to use the US Treasury system to assist them in their thuggery and such. People whining on behalf of those murderous bastards tight now really irritate me.

Yeah and it is ignorant for any terrorist nation be it Russia or any of the others to believe that they will just be able to use the US Treasury system to assist them in their thuggery and such. People whining on behalf of those murderous bastards tight now really irritate me.
Right now we're seizing their assets, I'm good with that.

They are not US citizens but even if they wanted to apply constitutional laws the moment they use that US Treasury dollar they are subject to the rules that go along with it. So are you and I. Fact is they decided to go lawless and thought that they could still use that system that they do not own or control. Thus the money is held and they will have to have a legitimate order to even touch it. If you don't like the rules don't use that system to be a thug as the system has checks and balances built in to prevent thuggery and hold illegal actors accountable prior to full disposition in any case.
the constitution doesn’t apply to just citizens. It applies to everyone here

Forum List

Back