Best rifle for hunting whitetail deer

So where are the natural predators? Could it be that man killed them off?
Mountain lions, wolves - Mountain lions are in great numbers up here and many other places, a real challenge to hunt.
Wolves on the hand are a troublesome animal they need a lot of space and kill for fun...
Hunting is the best way to keep animal populations healthy....

Who keeps the human population "healthy"? I mean if culling animals who have over populated is okay, then surely culling humans would also be a good idea, seeing as we're really at an unhealthy level of population.
Since we are at the top of the food chain we decide this. You can thin the herd and off yourself. LOL.

So if the Germans believed they were at the top of the food chain, therefore it was acceptable for them to kill those who they considered inferior?

Some say we're more civilized. Others might say that we're just better at making excuses.
Whoever makes the laws gets to define what's right and wrong. Do you think it was ok for German's to kill Jews? I don't. But I do think it's ok to kill a deer if you are going to eat the meat.

Do you eat slaughter house beef? Yes or no. Do you only eat free range chickens? Yes or no? Then you are a sick ignorant individual. The only thing is you are too much of a pussy to go see the thing you eat die.

I'm a vegetarian. You should wait before jumping to conclusions.

So you don't think it was okay for the Germans to kill the Jews, but it was all legal under German law at the time.

Mountain lions, wolves - Mountain lions are in great numbers up here and many other places, a real challenge to hunt.
Wolves on the hand are a troublesome animal they need a lot of space and kill for fun...

Who keeps the human population "healthy"? I mean if culling animals who have over populated is okay, then surely culling humans would also be a good idea, seeing as we're really at an unhealthy level of population.
Since we are at the top of the food chain we decide this. You can thin the herd and off yourself. LOL.

So if the Germans believed they were at the top of the food chain, therefore it was acceptable for them to kill those who they considered inferior?

Some say we're more civilized. Others might say that we're just better at making excuses.
Whoever makes the laws gets to define what's right and wrong. Do you think it was ok for German's to kill Jews? I don't. But I do think it's ok to kill a deer if you are going to eat the meat.

Do you eat slaughter house beef? Yes or no. Do you only eat free range chickens? Yes or no? Then you are a sick ignorant individual. The only thing is you are too much of a pussy to go see the thing you eat die.

So you don't think it was okay for the Germans to kill the Jews, but it was all legal under German law at the time.
There's nothing wrong with being crunchy granola, just don't expect anyone else to follow suit... Lol

So where are the natural predators? Could it be that man killed them off?

Only one way to stop the German's and that was to kill them. Now that we have that settled, your argument is rather stupid.

I'm ok with killing dog cat and horse as long as you eat them.

Why stop the Germans? They were only killing what they considered animals.

As for my argument being stupid. Not really. I'm putting things into context. People don't like me putting things into context because it forces them to think about things in a different way, and I can only conclude that this makes people's heads hurt or something.

You're okay with killing a dog, cat or a horse, but what about a human, if you're going to eat them? Humans are just animals, they've over populated the Earth already.

There's nothing wrong with being crunchy granola, just don't expect anyone else to follow suit... Lol

Of course there's nothing wrong with it. However when the Germans went and killed 6 million people everyone was up in arms. How many animals die in mass slaughter and under up wrapped in plastic every day in the world? Probably more than 6 million, and no one gives a damn.

Pro-lifers eat meat, I mean, what?

Of course there's nothing wrong with it. However when the Germans went and killed 6 million people everyone was up in arms. How many animals die in mass slaughter and under up wrapped in plastic every day in the world? Probably more than 6 million, and no one gives a damn.

Pro-lifers eat meat, I mean, what?
I feel ya. I wish we didn't treat cows the way we do. I'd rather see the human population cut in half and only have free range animals.

When I was growing up I thought I was alone hating zoos circus' and SeaWorld. I don't like seeing animals in cages or suffering.

Killing the deer sometimes almost makes it not worth it. It's sad. But you get used to it. It's a rush. And venison is amazing! So lean and healthy.

If it's between fatty slaughter house beef or deer I'll take deer. But I only have 5 packets left. One a month. I'll be out in September and opening day for bow is Oct 15

Lots of shits legal in Isis territory. What's your point? No I don't think burning someone alive is OK but what's that got to do with deer hunting?

And keep in mind people in Europe think we are barbarians for having the death penalty too.

300 Savage model 99e.

The Savage 99 is a cool rifle.

That it is. Gotta love a lever action.

I had a chance to buy a Rossi lever action in .357 Mag several years ago. Decent price. Couldn't see a need for it. Have regretted that since.
I have a buddy who has a Rossi .357 lever action. I did not think much of it at first, but after shooting it I was surprised. It is actually a fine shooting gun.

I don't do too much deer hunting anymore, but when I do I still use the same Winchester 30/30 lever action that I have had for 30 years. Though, I'm not a super serious deer hunter. I have taken 2 with a Ruger Mini 30.

300 Savage model 99e.

I had a chance to buy a Rossi lever action in .357 Mag several years ago. Decent price. Couldn't see a need for it. Have regretted that since.
I have a buddy who has a Rossi .357 lever action. I did not think much of it at first, but after shooting it I was surprised. It is actually a fine shooting gun.

i have a rossi pump 22 that i got as a confirmation gift as a child

fine firearm

300 Savage model 99e.

fine firearm

Those Rossi pump .22 rifles are great guns!

fine firearm

i heard they are getting rare

fine firearm

I believe they are. They used to be very common. Hold onto yours.

fine firearm

I believe they are. They used to be very common. Hold onto yours.

yup we still shoot it on occasion

22 shells got a little hard to come by for awhile

but the Ace hardware in this area found a pretty good hook up for them

Whitetail deer are not huge animals. Nor are they particularly tough skinned. So anything above a .243 should work well enough. (yeah, I know there are people who hunt deer with a .223, but not me)

As for action, I think the Ruger No. 1 is the best. Being a single shot, you lose about 4 inches of overall length, while keeping the same barrel length.

Anyone else have an opinion?
They made the ruger 450 bushmaster specifically for Michigan white tail deer hunting. Something about how it doesn’t go as far as some rifles so you can use it in the lower part of the state. A lot of long range rifles are not allowed in lower Michigan hunting.

Anyways, it’s probably more gun than is necessary. I’d rather something that kicks less and doesnt blow away so much meat.

On another note, my dog is a better hunter than me. Biggest deer I ever got was a 6. He found a 8 today. Poached. The cops let me take the head. I’m going to euro mount it and put it on my brothers property. Probably outside the front door.

Attachments

• ACBDD01C-0EDD-40BC-AC12-4CC4D9A20919.jpeg
    ACBDD01C-0EDD-40BC-AC12-4CC4D9A20919.jpeg
    641.5 KB · Views: 13
3030, 3006 are your best calibers. Me, anything deer sized or bigger with a 308.

Ruger, Winchester, Remington are your best all around manufacturers for deer hunting rifles. Beyond that it's personal taste for the look and feel of the gun.

Far as scopes go Simmons makes a great scope at very reasonable prices. Just make sure you put a drop of locktite on the mounting screws once you have it in place to help prevent rifle shock from shaking it loose.

Personally my favorite is a British 308. It's cumbersome but it's solid, well made and once you get a feel for a range finder sight you'll put that bullet where you want all the time every time.

Whitetail deer are not huge animals. Nor are they particularly tough skinned. So anything above a .243 should work well enough. (yeah, I know there are people who hunt deer with a .223, but not me)

As for action, I think the Ruger No. 1 is the best. Being a single shot, you lose about 4 inches of overall length, while keeping the same barrel length.

Anyone else have an opinion?
Remington 7 mag or Ruger 308. :113:

Some hunters scoff at the venerable old Winchester 30-30 as being underpowered but a lot of deer have been taken with it. It can't be beat for tangled woods. Being left handed I find that the lever works better than a bolt for a second shot.

Forum List

Back