🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Bible may have been written earlier than believed

But that doesn't mean the population was literate. Only the rabbis read the scrolls.
If you have evidence to the contrary, post it up.
Overall they were more literate than most other civilizations that existed at the same time.

The Ten Commandments and Mosaic Law were written and documented thousands of years before Christianity and Islam came on the scene.

It is amusing, Roudy, how some come out of the woodwork and crawl over here to dispute an article like this. One would think that we should take him as some sort as of Bible scholar.. It appears that this discovery has interest to many people or else many sites would not have covered it. Imagine his biggest concern is that most people didn't read at that time. No one knows just how many people actually read unless one can go back in some time machine to check this out, but he knows without doing this. Needless to say, in every ancient civilization, no doubt there were many highly intelligent, literate people who were able to read the written word of their land. Chinese was written more than 5,000 years ago. Are we to say we know that only a few Chinese read when we actually don't know?
No one said only a few read, I elites read. Like most religious people you misrepresent anything you don't believe in. Your article doesn't prove most people read, it was a few examples to leaders and the author assumed since they could read it was a common occurance.

That just stupid. It isn't science, it's the religious trying to twist facts to fit their beliefs. it's what they do. Read the title of your own thread, you lying dimwit. It says the bible "may have been...."
That's conjecture, not fact. I point it out and you get pissy. When I respond to your pissy arrogant holier than though attitude I'm the problem.
Come back with some facts next time.

Let's see what I can say to this poster.
Listen, Pissy Jackass, aren't you just assuming that I am a religious person? I look upon all these old things that have been found (no matter what country they are found in) as parts of history of humankind. You can believe what you want to, but others have opinions different from yours. Now since you have parked yourself here, why not finally give us some new news about the Middle East. This Middle East forum is not just for arguing the Bible. Say, what's going on in Bahrain or Oman these days? Care to tell us?
I'm not the one making the claim that literacy was common, you are confused. I'm the one questioning the claim. And for that I got a bunch of teenage girl insults. So come up with some facts to support the assertion, every time I ask I get insulted. That would indicate a problem on your end.

Amusing how you had a problem with one article, but had your fingers lying quietly on your keyboard when it came to more important articles about what is actually happening over in the Middle East, such as the wars in Yemen and Syria. By the way, I suggest you have your mouth washed out with a bar of soap, and then you prove to us that literacy was so uncommon around that time for the people in the area. I think Aris did a good job of explaining to you why people were able to read.

Do you possibly think that when you crawl over here, you actually have something to contribute about what is happening these days? I think all the readers already know how you feel about this Bible thread so why not put it to sleep and go on to something new which is happening right now?

Overall they were more literate than most other civilizations that existed at the same time.

The Ten Commandments and Mosaic Law were written and documented thousands of years before Christianity and Islam came on the scene.

It is amusing, Roudy, how some come out of the woodwork and crawl over here to dispute an article like this. One would think that we should take him as some sort as of Bible scholar.. It appears that this discovery has interest to many people or else many sites would not have covered it. Imagine his biggest concern is that most people didn't read at that time. No one knows just how many people actually read unless one can go back in some time machine to check this out, but he knows without doing this. Needless to say, in every ancient civilization, no doubt there were many highly intelligent, literate people who were able to read the written word of their land. Chinese was written more than 5,000 years ago. Are we to say we know that only a few Chinese read when we actually don't know?
No one said only a few read, I elites read. Like most religious people you misrepresent anything you don't believe in. Your article doesn't prove most people read, it was a few examples to leaders and the author assumed since they could read it was a common occurance.

That just stupid. It isn't science, it's the religious trying to twist facts to fit their beliefs. it's what they do. Read the title of your own thread, you lying dimwit. It says the bible "may have been...."
That's conjecture, not fact. I point it out and you get pissy. When I respond to your pissy arrogant holier than though attitude I'm the problem.

Listen, Pissy Jackass, aren't you just assuming that I am a religious person? I look upon all these old things that have been found (no matter what country they are found in) as parts of history of humankind. You can believe what you want to, but others have opinions different from yours. Now since you have parked yourself here, why not finally give us some new news about the Middle East. This Middle East forum is not just for arguing the Bible. Say, what's going on in Bahrain or Oman these days? Care to tell us?
I'm not the one making the claim that literacy was common, you are confused. I'm the one questioning the claim. And for that I got a bunch of teenage girl insults. So come up with some facts to support the assertion, every time I ask I get insulted. That would indicate a problem on your end.

Amusing how you had a problem with one article, but had your fingers lying quietly on your keyboard when it came to more important articles about what is actually happening over in the Middle East, such as the wars in Yemen and Syria. By the way, I suggest you have your mouth washed out with a bar of soap, and then you prove to us that literacy was so uncommon around that time for the people in the area. I think Aris did a good job of explaining to you why people were able to read.

Do you possibly think that when you crawl over here, you actually have something to contribute about what is happening these days? I think all the readers already know how you feel about this Bible thread so why not put it to sleep and go on to something new which is happening right now?
Amusing how disoriented your brain is. I pointed out the problem with the conclusion in the article, you quickly insulted me, cried foul when I gave it back to you then you shifted to anything but backing up your claims.

Reading didn't become common until reading material became common. That's history. Sorry if it doesn't fit your firmly held beliefs.

Rather that continue your hissy fit, give us actual evidence that the bible was written earlier than the tradition accepted dates.

Aw, did I hurt your feelings? Good. Asshole!
Amazing vocabulary on this trailer trash Nazi weasel. I suspect at best it managed to make it to 3rd grade.
Here's another butthurt retard. Sorry that facts don't fit your beliefs. Not my problem, junior.
Yeah? What facts did you mention? All we saw was racist IslamoNazi garbaggio.
Liar. What's with religious people that turns them into chronic liars anyway? I said nothing like that, I questioned the validity of making broad brushed statements about literacy by finding a few notes to some leaders, in order to fit the belief the bible has been around longer than previously thought.

I got put down for using my brain so fuck you.
I'm not religious, Nazi boy. You don't have a brain too use, nor are you capable of rational thought, if you did you wouldn't be making ignorant, bigoted and antisemitic statements about Jews.
I didn't say anything pro-Nazi or anti-semetic. You are a lying smearing scumbag, nothing less.

Amusing how disoriented your brain is. I pointed out the problem with the conclusion in the article, you quickly insulted me, cried foul when I gave it back to you then you shifted to anything but backing up your claims.

Reading didn't become common until reading material became common. That's history. Sorry if it doesn't fit your firmly held beliefs.

Rather that continue your hissy fit, give us actual evidence that the bible was written earlier than the tradition accepted dates.
I say it was written later not earlier. Fact is the first bible was written. Hundreds of years after jeses. And people were recording human history long before Jesus.

Funny God went to the most ignorant part of the world to reveal himself then didn't come back till Mohammad then Joseph Smith. Three ignorant parts of the world.

You're a fool

I say it was written later not earlier. Fact is the first bible was written. Hundreds of years after jeses. And people were recording human history long before Jesus.

Funny God went to the most ignorant part of the world to reveal himself then didn't come back till Mohammad then Joseph Smith. Three ignorant parts of the world.

You're a fool
....which has zero to do with anything I said. Your brain is gone.

Since the needle on your record player seems to be stuck on this one thread while overlooking what is going on in the Middle East today, would you please prove to us that the people in that area at that time weren't able to read. If you can't prove that they didn't, why not start responding to another thread on this forum? You can still keep your opinion of this, and others can keep theirs.

Interesting how things like this can be inferred from the old relics dug up. It's nice to know that men in the area were literate at that time.

Apr 12th 2016 12:50PM

When the Bible was written has long been a point of debate among scholars.

Researchers from Tel Aviv University say that they have compelling evidence the Old Testament was scribed sooner rather than later, reports the New York Times.

SEE ALSO: Paul Ryan to speak out on rumors he's running for president

Much of the current thinking on the matter places the Bible's transition from being an orally transmitted history to a documented one after the fall of Jerusalem in 586 B.C. and the subsequent exile of the Jews.

However, the researchers found evidence that high levels of literacy existed in the region before the fall, and not necessarily after.

Continue reading at:

Been to Tel Arad in my journeys where these were found. Even today you see pottery shards thousands of years old just laying around. Israel has been virtually empty for 2,000 years, it's an archeologists playground now.

Didn't a young girl recently find an amulet there with a Pharaoh depicted on it?
3500 year old Egyptian amulet. When I was there sifting a team the day before found a coin from the first temple period. Best I found was some animal bones and mosaic tiles.

http://www.breakingisraelnews.com/6...27f72-1aa412c3ac-83520489#woA4B8EvfUj8BX4x.97

Since the needle on your record player seems to be stuck on this one thread while overlooking what is going on in the Middle East today, would you please prove to us that the people in that area at that time weren't able to read. If you can't prove that they didn't, why not start responding to another thread on this forum? You can still keep your opinion of this, and others can keep theirs.
You're a retard. You made a claim that you can't back up in order to forward your religious beliefs. I called you on it and you still can't so you want to shift the conversation to the middle east today. People didn't have READING MATERIAL back in the day. Do you understand? How could they read if there was nothing for them to read and they spent all day busting their ass in the field? It wasn't like today. Your theory makes no sense.

I asked for evidence the bible was written earlier than traditional accepted dates and this is all you have but you think brow beating me solves your problem. Wrong.

You're a retard. You made a claim that you can't back up in order to forward your religious beliefs. I called you on it and you still can't so you want to shift the conversation to the middle east today. People didn't have READING MATERIAL back in the day. Do you understand? How could they read if there was nothing for them to read and they spent all day busting their ass in the field? It wasn't like today. Your theory makes no sense.

I asked for evidence the bible was written earlier than traditional accepted dates and this is all you have but you think brow beating me solves your problem. Wrong.

All it shows is that you can't take criticism but can dish it out.. It is you who is browbeating this thread,and you haven't even shown us how you are sure that people in that particular area couldn't read at that time.. Now, show us that you are a big boy and can let this thread go. Amazing the things you can post about the Middle East on this Middle East forum if you don't get stuck on one thread.

Anyhow, follow what is said on this ancient mosaic so you can be a happier fellow .

Ancient mosaic found in Turkey reads ‘be cheerful, enjoy your life,

Ancient mosaic found in Turkey shows skeleton drinking wine with message 'be cheerful'

In addition, the thread is really not about religion, but more about archeology and anthropology and what researchers in these fields think about certain findings.. A person doesn't have to be religious to appreciate what is found in the ancient world. Perhaps you are unable to grasp this. My gut feeling is that if this had been about the age of the Mayan Calendar and not the Old Testament, you wouldn't even have gotten involved with this thread

All it shows is that you can't take criticism but can dish it out.. It is you who is browbeating this thread,and you haven't even shown us how you are sure that people in that particular area couldn't read at that time.. Now, show us that you are a big boy and can let this thread go. Amazing the things you can post about the Middle East on this Middle East forum if you don't get stuck on one thread.

Anyhow, follow what is said on this ancient mosaic so you can be a happier fellow .

Ancient mosaic found in Turkey shows skeleton drinking wine with message 'be cheerful'

In addition, the thread is really not about religion, but more about archeology and anthropology and what researchers in these fields think about certain findings.. A person doesn't have to be religious to appreciate what is found in the ancient world. Perhaps you are unable to grasp this. My gut feeling is that if this had been about the age of the Mayan Calendar and not the Old Testament, you wouldn't even have gotten involved with this thread
If you have constructive criticism, go for it. I questioned the conclusions based on very slim evidence. That upsets you so how it that a shortcoming on my part? You do what all religious people do. You adopt a belief and try to make facts fit them AND you get indignant as hell when anybody questions it. You're the one with the thin skin here. So it is about religion, the facts don't make your case. But since you forgot, I'll remind you once again what the challenge was:

"I asked for evidence the bible was written earlier than traditional accepted dates and this is all you have but you think brow beating me solves your problem."

If you have constructive criticism, go for it. I questioned the conclusions based on very slim evidence. That upsets you so how it that a shortcoming on my part? You do what all religious people do. You adopt a belief and try to make facts fit them AND you get indignant as hell when anybody questions it. You're the one with the thin skin here. So it is about religion, the facts don't make your case. But since you forgot, I'll remind you once again what the challenge was:

"I asked for evidence the bible was written earlier than traditional accepted dates and this is all you have but you think brow beating me solves your problem."

Poor iceweasel,, he doesn't realize that he himself can't prove that the Bible wasn't written earlier or that people in the area weren't able to read. He also can't understand that this thread is not about religion, but about something that is very ancient. If there was a thread on the Asia forum about the first Veda of the Hindus being written before 1200 BCE as is commonly believed, I think the viewers would just take it as a matter of interest at how old these things really are. Would you pop up then and said it is all about religion and not the fact that this is something people who are actually working in the field and who are researching. this?

We will let the iceweasel respond here and have the last world as it gets boring and is a waste of time going around the mulberry bush with one particular thread.. We can anxiously await. though, to see if he will contribute to other threads and even start threads of his own here to tell us what is occurring in the Middle East.

Perhaps he would forst like to sing along with Boney M.

Poor iceweasel,, he doesn't realize that he himself can't prove that the Bible wasn't written earlier or that people in the area weren't able to read.
I can't prove you have a functioning brain either but the burden is on those making the claims. You couldn't back up your shit and tried to make me the problem.

Fact of matter is Jews were known to be the most literate and were writing and keeping records thousands of years before other civilizations.
But that doesn't mean the population was literate. Only the rabbis read the scrolls.
If you have evidence to the contrary, post it up.

No they were not.

Forum List

Back