🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Bible may have been written earlier than believed

Fact of matter is Jews were known to be the most literate and were writing and keeping records thousands of years before other civilizations.

So they found evidence of maybe 6 individuals that could write so they've rewritten history? It should be LOL, not AOL.

They were probably more literate than you are now.

Ancient shopping lists may reveal when Bible was written - Times of India?
Aw, did I hurt your feelings? Good. Asshole!
Amazing vocabulary on this trailer trash Nazi weasel. I suspect at best it managed to make it to 3rd grade.
Here's another butthurt retard. Sorry that facts don't fit your beliefs. Not my problem, junior.

Fact of matter is Jews were known to be the most literate and were writing and keeping records thousands of years before other civilizations.
But that doesn't mean the population was literate. Only the rabbis read the scrolls.
If you have evidence to the contrary, post it up.

So they found evidence of maybe 6 individuals that could write so they've rewritten history? It should be LOL, not AOL.

Amazing vocabulary on this trailer trash Nazi weasel. I suspect at best it managed to make it to 3rd grade.
Here's another butthurt retard. Sorry that facts don't fit your beliefs. Not my problem, junior.
Yeah? What facts did you mention? All we saw was racist IslamoNazi garbaggio.

But that doesn't mean the population was literate. Only the rabbis read the scrolls.
Overall they were more literate than most other civilizations that existed at the same time.

The Ten Commandments and Mosaic Law were written and documented thousands of years before Christianity and Islam came on the scene.

Overall they were more literate than most other civilizations that existed at the same time.

The Ten Commandments and Mosaic Law were written and documented thousands of years before Christianity and Islam came on the scene.

It is amusing, Roudy, how some come out of the woodwork and crawl over here to dispute an article like this. One would think that we should take him as some sort as of Bible scholar.. It appears that this discovery has interest to many people or else many sites would not have covered it. Imagine his biggest concern is that most people didn't read at that time. No one knows just how many people actually read unless one can go back in some time machine to check this out, but he knows without doing this. Needless to say, in every ancient civilization, no doubt there were many highly intelligent, literate people who were able to read the written word of their land. Chinese was written more than 5,000 years ago. Are we to say we know that only a few Chinese read when we actually don't know?

It is amusing, Roudy, how some come out of the woodwork and crawl over here to dispute an article like this. One would think that we should take him as some sort as of Bible scholar.. It appears that this discovery has interest to many people or else many sites would not have covered it. Imagine his biggest concern is that most people didn't read at that time. No one knows just how many people actually read unless one can go back in some time machine to check this out, but he knows without doing this. Needless to say, in every ancient civilization, no doubt there were many highly intelligent, literate people who were able to read the written word of their land. Chinese was written more than 5,000 years ago. Are we to say we know that only a few Chinese read when we actually don't know?
No one said only a few read, I elites read. Like most religious people you misrepresent anything you don't believe in. Your article doesn't prove most people read, it was a few examples to leaders and the author assumed since they could read it was a common occurance.

That just stupid. It isn't science, it's the religious trying to twist facts to fit their beliefs. it's what they do. Read the title of your own thread, you lying dimwit. It says the bible "may have been...."
That's conjecture, not fact. I point it out and you get pissy. When I respond to your pissy arrogant holier than though attitude I'm the problem.
Come back with some facts next time.

Interesting how things like this can be inferred from the old relics dug up. It's nice to know that men in the area were literate at that time.

Apr 12th 2016 12:50PM

When the Bible was written has long been a point of debate among scholars.

Researchers from Tel Aviv University say that they have compelling evidence the Old Testament was scribed sooner rather than later, reports the New York Times.

SEE ALSO: Paul Ryan to speak out on rumors he's running for president

Much of the current thinking on the matter places the Bible's transition from being an orally transmitted history to a documented one after the fall of Jerusalem in 586 B.C. and the subsequent exile of the Jews.

However, the researchers found evidence that high levels of literacy existed in the region before the fall, and not necessarily after.

Continue reading at:

Been to Tel Arad in my journeys where these were found. Even today you see pottery shards thousands of years old just laying around. Israel has been virtually empty for 2,000 years, it's an archeologists playground now.

Jewish males at thirteen read from the torah, Jesus not only read but debated with the rabbis at the temple on the law.
Tax collectors, business men probably knew how to read and write as well.
Jewish communities like qumran were scribes. Men as Massada could read.

Poor does not mean illiterate in ancient judea/israel

No one said only a few read, I elites read. Like most religious people you misrepresent anything you don't believe in. Your article doesn't prove most people read, it was a few examples to leaders and the author assumed since they could read it was a common occurance.

That just stupid. It isn't science, it's the religious trying to twist facts to fit their beliefs. it's what they do. Read the title of your own thread, you lying dimwit. It says the bible "may have been...."
That's conjecture, not fact. I point it out and you get pissy. When I respond to your pissy arrogant holier than though attitude I'm the problem.

Let's see what I can say to this poster.
Listen, Pissy Jackass, aren't you just assuming that I am a religious person? I look upon all these old things that have been found (no matter what country they are found in) as parts of history of humankind. You can believe what you want to, but others have opinions different from yours. Now since you have parked yourself here, why not finally give us some new news about the Middle East. This Middle East forum is not just for arguing the Bible. Say, what's going on in Bahrain or Oman these days? Care to tell us?

Interesting how things like this can be inferred from the old relics dug up. It's nice to know that men in the area were literate at that time.

Researchers from Tel Aviv University say that they have compelling evidence the Old Testament was scribed sooner rather than later, reports the New York Times.

Much of the current thinking on the matter places the Bible's transition from being an orally transmitted history to a documented one after the fall of Jerusalem in 586 B.C. and the subsequent exile of the Jews.

However, the researchers found evidence that high levels of literacy existed in the region before the fall, and not necessarily after.

Continue reading at:

Been to Tel Arad in my journeys where these were found. Even today you see pottery shards thousands of years old just laying around. Israel has been virtually empty for 2,000 years, it's an archeologists playground now.

Didn't a young girl recently find an amulet there with a Pharaoh depicted on it?

When you look at what they were building and the artwork involved, these were a people not struggling to survive.

Continue reading at:

Didn't a young girl recently find an amulet there with a Pharaoh depicted on it?
3500 year old Egyptian amulet. When I was there sifting a team the day before found a coin from the first temple period. Best I found was some animal bones and mosaic tiles.

Liar. What's with religious people that turns them into chronic liars anyway? I said nothing like that, I questioned the validity of making broad brushed statements about literacy by finding a few notes to some leaders, in order to fit the belief the bible has been around longer than previously thought.

I got put down for using my brain so fuck you.

We don't know how long ago they were written. If you have evidence, post it up, your opinion has no meaning.

Jewish males at thirteen read from the torah, Jesus not only read but debated with the rabbis at the temple on the law.

I asked for evidence. Do you even know what the word means?

Listen, Pissy Jackass, aren't you just assuming that I am a religious person? I look upon all these old things that have been found (no matter what country they are found in) as parts of history of humankind. You can believe what you want to, but others have opinions different from yours. Now since you have parked yourself here, why not finally give us some new news about the Middle East. This Middle East forum is not just for arguing the Bible. Say, what's going on in Bahrain or Oman these days? Care to tell us?
I'm not the one making the claim that literacy was common, you are confused. I'm the one questioning the claim. And for that I got a bunch of teenage girl insults. So come up with some facts to support the assertion, every time I ask I get insulted. That would indicate a problem on your end.

I asked for evidence. Do you even know what the word means?

>>The Mishnah(1) describes the educational process for a young Jewish boy in Jesus' time.<<
Rabbi and Talmidim

Liar. What's with religious people that turns them into chronic liars anyway? I said nothing like that, I questioned the validity of making broad brushed statements about literacy by finding a few notes to some leaders, in order to fit the belief the bible has been around longer than previously thought.

I got put down for using my brain so fuck you.
I'm not religious, Nazi boy. You don't have a brain too use, nor are you capable of rational thought, if you did you wouldn't be making ignorant, bigoted and antisemitic statements about Jews.

I'm not the one making the claim that literacy was common, you are confused. I'm the one questioning the claim. And for that I got a bunch of teenage girl insults. So come up with some facts to support the assertion, every time I ask I get insulted. That would indicate a problem on your end.
Literacy was not common, but Jews were among the most literate and educated and their contributions throughout history are well documented and recorded.

Forum List

Back