Biden nominees answering questions from Senator Kennedy (R) of Louisiana

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
It was three ladies, and they all appear to be speakers of English as a second language. As a teacher in a school that is well over 95% Hispanic, I know and teach many students in the category of EL's (English Learners, formerly knows as ESL, English as a Second Language Learners). I work with parents whose English skill ranges from graduate level native fluency, to preferring to use Spanish when interacting with their children's teachers.

Long preface to say that, while all appear to be English learners, the third one has a graduate level grasp of English, and knows the law. Senator Kennedy disagrees with her interpretation, but it sounds like two lawyers debating, with the nominee showing deference to the senator, while not conceding the argument. It doesn't sound like a person faking their way through answering a question they have no idea about, which is the impression that I got from the first two.

The first two ladies remind me for all the world of the bi-lingual teachers' aides that we have to help us to teach students with limited English. They are wonderful people, they care about the children and are valuable assets to education. But they are lightly educated, many with only a high school diploma and who do have strong academic vocabulary in either of their languages.

These are great ladies, and great Americans. But I would not put them on the federal bench, nor would I put the first two ladies in this video there.

Forum List

Back