Big Brother Fines Utah HS for selling soda

If gov't does as good of a job at regulating children's nutrition as they have regulating our economy and our education, the human species will go extinct.

A perfect job? Nope. But it is totally stupid to try to give a child a good and healthy meal when Coke and Pepsi is also being served.

I have no problem kicking in to make sure our next generation is learning to eat properly.

Oh, and your silly contention that we'll go extinct is a joke. In your world, there can only be one on the dunghill, and that person can fuck themself.

No not a perfect job, a dismal job. As gov't regulation of what we eat and what type of education children get in the ares of fitness go up, so does childhood obesity.

If a high school teenager wants a pepsi he'll get one, no matter how many schools you want fined. You can either have a kid bring a pepsi from home or a gas station, or you can have him buy one at school at a vending machine that gives the school money in which they can use for sports which helps keep them healthier far more than any gov't regulated cheese would.

I was being sarcastic that we'll go extinct, the point is gov't regulation sucks across the board, so to advocate for more of it in this issue is retarded.

Yeah, you're right. A high school student can get a "pepsi" [sic]. They can also get a hand gun, a bag of weed, or even heroin.

So what? I wish I could solve all problems, but I'm not that naive.

What I can say, as a taxpayer, is if my Government is providing better nutrition to our next generation, don't make it easy for them to purchase soft drinks which will make our National ass more low hanging.

The OUTRAGE!

My kid likes to have a nice cold beer with lunch. But the laws in place prohibit this freedom. What has become of this country!

Comparing beer, which a student can get drunk on, leave school and kill someone while driving, to soda which can can nothing to impair someone mentally, is amazing.

Why not just say "I'm stupid" and save yourself the typing?

Never heard of the Twinkie defense?

A perfect job? Nope. But it is totally stupid to try to give a child a good and healthy meal when Coke and Pepsi is also being served.

I have no problem kicking in to make sure our next generation is learning to eat properly.

Oh, and your silly contention that we'll go extinct is a joke. In your world, there can only be one on the dunghill, and that person can fuck themself.

No not a perfect job, a dismal job. As gov't regulation of what we eat and what type of education children get in the ares of fitness go up, so does childhood obesity.

If a high school teenager wants a pepsi he'll get one, no matter how many schools you want fined. You can either have a kid bring a pepsi from home or a gas station, or you can have him buy one at school at a vending machine that gives the school money in which they can use for sports which helps keep them healthier far more than any gov't regulated cheese would.

I was being sarcastic that we'll go extinct, the point is gov't regulation sucks across the board, so to advocate for more of it in this issue is retarded.

Yeah, you're right. A high school student can get a "pepsi" [sic]. They can also get a hand gun, a bag of weed, or even heroin.

What I can say, as a taxpayer, is if my Government is providing better nutrition to our next generation, don't make it easy for them to purchase soft drinks which will make our National ass more low hanging.

Comparing the dangers of Pepsi to the dangers of guns and heroin, well played. And I think a bag of weed, if not used while driving or other dangerous times, is probably less dangerous than unhealthy eating/drinking.

No, you are that naive. You're in favor of gov't regulating nutrition because you think that improves nutrition. Even with more FDA regulations, more gov't spending and regulation in education, childhood obesity skyrockets. But you pretend we'll someday get to some magical level of gov't regulation where it'll all of a sudden start working.

Besides your hero was a smoker for decades, you want him deciding what is or isn't healthy?

Last edited:
Utah High School Fined $15,000 for Selling Soda | Video | TheBlaze.com

N/M the fine. WTF? Since when does the federal government regulate whether soda can be sold at a high school? They sold soda at my high school and I had no problem with it. And how is it even Constitutional for the government to restrict soda sales?

IF THEY DON'T WANT TO FOLLOW THE RULES OF THE NATIONAL SCHOOL LUNCH PROGRAM THEY DON'T HAVE TO PARTICIPATE IN IT.

fucking hypocrites. You can't take government handouts and then bitch about the rules you are asked to follow as a condition of taking them.

N/M the fine. WTF? Since when does the federal government regulate whether soda can be sold at a high school? They sold soda at my high school and I had no problem with it. And how is it even Constitutional for the government to restrict soda sales?

IF THEY DON'T WANT TO FOLLOW THE RULES OF THE NATIONAL SCHOOL LUNCH PROGRAM THEY DON'T HAVE TO PARTICIPATE IN IT.

fucking hypocrites. You can't take government handouts and then bitch about the rules you are asked to follow as a condition of taking them.

All more the reason to get RID of the DOE.

Comparing the dangers of Pepsi to the dangers of guns and heroin, well played. And I think a bag of weed, if not used while driving or other dangerous times, is probably less dangerous than unhealthy eating/drinking.

No, you are that naive. You're in favor of gov't regulating nutrition because you think that improves nutrition. Even with more FDA regulations, more gov't spending and regulation in education, childhood obesity skyrockets. But you pretend we'll someday get to some magical level of gov't regulation where it'll all of a sudden start working.

Besides your hero was a smoker for decades, you want him deciding what is or isn't healthy?

Comparing? No, I was putting things in perspective. The rebuttal was that teens and tweens could get whatever they want. I don't dispute that, because that's a lame ass argument.

I'm not paying for kids to spike the punch on their prom night, nor am I suggesting that kids eating oranges, spiked with vodka, is a smart idea on their senior trip.

All I'm saying is that if I toss some chump change into the concept that our school kids will have better nutrition, and hopefully learning, that my tax dollar is well spent.

?? We have to get rid of the school lunch program because some schools that are using it don't wanna follow the rules? Yeah that makes sense.

Comparing? No, I was putting things in perspective. The rebuttal was that teens and tweens could get whatever they want. I don't dispute that, because that's a lame ass argument.

I'm not paying for kids to spike the punch on their prom night, nor am I suggesting that kids eating oranges, spiked with vodka, is a smart idea on their senior trip.

All I'm saying is that if I toss some chump change into the concept that our school kids will have better nutrition, and hopefully learning, that my tax dollar is well spent.

Agree to disagree, I don't think my tax dollars being used to fine a school out of dollars they can use to put towards educating kids and providing athletic equipment because of what hallway a vending machine is in is a good idea.

Call me crazy.

?? We have to get rid of the school lunch program because some schools that are using it don't wanna follow the rules? Yeah that makes sense.

We have to restore Education to the States/Cities. FED has no business here at all.

We have to restore Education to the States/Cities. FED has no business here at all.

The federal government has no interest in assuring the nutrition of our youth? What if we need them to fight a war? Oh well?

Congress passed the national school lunch act in response to the large number of WW II draftees that were rejected due to health issues caused by malnutrition. Is that not a problem for you?

Last edited:

Agree to disagree, I don't think my tax dollars being used to fine a school out of dollars they can use to put towards educating kids and providing athletic equipment because of what hallway a vending machine is in is a good idea.

Call me crazy.

Okeydoke, if you want to be called crazy, you're crazy -- you're welcome!

But what's really crazy is Republicans thinking kids learn better when undernourished. This is just another example of Republicans stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime. The return on investing in our children's nutrition is exponential to all of us.

An ongoing experiment going on over the past 13 years or so in Appleton, Wisconsin, a town southwest of Green Bay, could make the strongest argument for healthy school lunches yet: Since the school district began switching from processed foods to more nutritional offerings, it's experienced a precipitous drop in all sort of deleterious behaviors, from drop outs to students carrying weapons.

Among the changes undertaken by school officials, Central Alternative High School Principal LuAnn Coenen told the blog WELL Said, were pulling vending machines stocked with soda out of their facilities and dumping burgers and fries in favor of water coolers and salad bars heaped with fresh fruits and vegetables. After the changes took place, the school no longer needed police on their grounds, as incidents of drug use, vandalism, and even student mental health issues all diminished (PDF).

The behavior of the students in Appleton is consistent with previous, more rigorous scientific studies that suggest that better school lunches improve student performance, says the WELL Said post:
Proof exists that reducing sugar and fat intake leads to higher IQ’s and improved grades in school. Stephen Schoenthaler, professor of criminal justice at California State University proved that much when he conducted a study on students at 803 low-income neighborhood schools in New York City. With a supervised change in the students’ diets, passing final exam grades went from 11% below the national average to 5% above it.
The Appleton story underscores the potential value of programs like the Early Learning Challenge Fund, money cut out of the health care bill that would have been earmarked for providing support services (including those related to health and nutrition) for children five and under. By getting these kids access to healthier food options earlier in life, it could diminish some of the future behavioral problems seen in schools all around the country.

The 'War on Soda?' Classic. This would be funny if it wasn't so tragically pathetic and sad. Stay tuned, because Big Brother has lots more Wars planned for the People.

Call me crazy.

But what's really crazy is Republicans thinking kids learn better when undernourished. This is just another example of Republicans stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime. The return on investing in our children's nutrition is exponential to all of us.

An ongoing experiment going on over the past 13 years or so in Appleton, Wisconsin, a town southwest of Green Bay, could make the strongest argument for healthy school lunches yet: Since the school district began switching from processed foods to more nutritional offerings, it's experienced a precipitous drop in all sort of deleterious behaviors, from drop outs to students carrying weapons.

Among the changes undertaken by school officials, Central Alternative High School Principal LuAnn Coenen told the blog WELL Said, were pulling vending machines stocked with soda out of their facilities and dumping burgers and fries in favor of water coolers and salad bars heaped with fresh fruits and vegetables. After the changes took place, the school no longer needed police on their grounds, as incidents of drug use, vandalism, and even student mental health issues all diminished (PDF).

The behavior of the students in Appleton is consistent with previous, more rigorous scientific studies that suggest that better school lunches improve student performance, says the WELL Said post:
Proof exists that reducing sugar and fat intake leads to higher IQ’s and improved grades in school. Stephen Schoenthaler, professor of criminal justice at California State University proved that much when he conducted a study on students at 803 low-income neighborhood schools in New York City. With a supervised change in the students’ diets, passing final exam grades went from 11% below the national average to 5% above it.
The Appleton story underscores the potential value of programs like the Early Learning Challenge Fund, money cut out of the health care bill that would have been earmarked for providing support services (including those related to health and nutrition) for children five and under. By getting these kids access to healthier food options earlier in life, it could diminish some of the future behavioral problems seen in schools all around the country.

Tell me how moving the soda machine into another hallway will make lunches more healthy.

I'd be delighted to hear, Mr. Genius sir.

And it's adorable that since you fit so easily into the democrat box you think I'm a republican, rest assured I hate Romney as much as I hate your hero Obama.

Last edited:
The 'War on Soda?' Classic. This would be funny if it wasn't so tragically pathetic and sad. Stay tuned, because Big Brother has lots more Wars planned for the People.

No one forced the school to participate in the Natioanl School Lunch Program.

Why do you think federal dollars and support should be given to schools and their students free of conditions?

Why do you think federal dollars and support should be given to schools and their students free of conditions?

Why are the FEDS involved at ALL?

Yes, Heil Big Brother!! I hear ya.

Call me crazy.

Tell me how moving the soda machine into another hallway will make lunches more healthy.

And it's adorable that since you fit so easily into the democrat box you think I'm a republican, rest assured I hate Romney as much as I hate your hero Obama.

Your side is the side that has to explain how moving poor nutritional choices to another hallway solves anything, I'm advocating for raising IQ's, better grades, less disciplinary problems, lower drop out rates, less drug use et al by removing poor nutrition choices from the schools. The proof is in the puddin', where poor nutrition choices are removed from the schools students do better.

Your side is the side that has to explain how moving poor nutritional choices to another hallway solves anything, I'm advocating for raising IQ's, better grades, less disciplinary problems, lower drop out rates, less drug use et al by removing poor nutrition choices from the schools. The proof is in the puddin', where poor nutrition choices are removed from the schools students do better.

Uh no, I'm on the side that says a school being fined tens of thousands of dollars for a vending machine in the wrong hallway is madness.

So you either agree with me that it's crazy or you disagree and think that it's justice being served. So you can either state your position on the issue or go out in left field and deflect with some link that had nothing to do with this topic.

I find physical fitness and health to be extremely important, I've already eaten 2 healthy meals today and will be doing P90X in a couple hours (all without gov't forcing me to, believe that?!?!?!?!). I think it's embarassing how little people care about their health in this country, but almighty gov't isn't going to all of a sudden change that by raping schools of their funding.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back