🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Big Brother is reading USMB

Should the FBI be monitoring Social Media sites like USMB?

• Yes

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • WTF?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pineapple

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You know.....for some reason that's no consolation.
Information is the only consolation. At least you know. Has nothing to do with liberal or conservative.
I remember the days not long ago, that mentioning the administration was "Data-mining" outgoing phone conversations to terrorist countries the howls from the left were tremendous because it was Bush. Now that the FBI is spying on our conversations, no problem.

Pretty ironic.

Two completely unrelated issues!

Phone calls are private. Internet postings are public.
What they do to us because of what we post is illegal.

I'm convinced you assholes will go along with any criminal act these tossers pull, all in the name of protecting your fearless dictator in the Oval Office.
Whats your solution?
Vote them out of course. What's yours. Act like one of his sheeple and keep your mouth shut hoping they don't come for you?

Information is the only consolation. At least you know. Has nothing to do with liberal or conservative.
I remember the days not long ago, that mentioning the administration was "Data-mining" outgoing phone conversations to terrorist countries the howls from the left were tremendous because it was Bush. Now that the FBI is spying on our conversations, no problem.

Pretty ironic.

BTW, since Obama took over even our phone conversation and our emails are fair game without a warrant.
They always were.
You're a God Damned liar too....

Pretty ironic.

I'm convinced you assholes will go along with any criminal act these tossers pull, all in the name of protecting your fearless dictator in the Oval Office.
Whats your solution?
Vote them out of course. What's yours. Act like one of his sheeple and keep your mouth shut hoping they don't come for you?
I guess you dont get it. Doesnt matter who is in office. They did and always will do it.

Pretty ironic.

BTW, since Obama took over even our phone conversation and our emails are fair game without a warrant.
They always were.
You got some proof of that? I have proof of wire taps and packet sniffers.

They were doing this before the POTUS got into office. They just made it officially sanctioned with the Patriot Act.

Pretty ironic.

They arent private either anymore. Most have a Voip infrastructure now or at least a Voip background. Just like internet traffic.

Good point!

Pretty ironic.

That was Bush jr and you never uttered a single whine about him doing it.
And you're a liar. Remember all of the discussions about FISA courts??

No, of course not.

FBI App Social Media Scraping ASecureLife.com

FBI App: Social Media Scraping
Posted by: Kimberly Kurimski Updated: October 14, 2014

Social media isn’t just a tool for employers screening prospective workers anymore. Watch out for an FBI app designed for social media scraping. Social media can work as an early warning system for potential threats, criminal activity, or other risks. As of April 2013, the social media companies are still lobbying against this endeavor by the FBI. The companies who are listed among those actively resisting include Google, Facebook, and Yahoo.

A Possible Solution to Early Threats
According to sources, the FBI has been looking in to hiring a contracting company to put together an application to scrape social media sites for signs of domestic and global threats. While some indicate that the application could allow for early warning against threats to our country, others are quick to point out that such an endeavor could implicate trouble for freedom of speech. The request by the FBI for the scraping application was posted on the FBI’s Strategic Information and Operations Center website on January 19, 2012, when it caught the attention of a number of other groups including New Scientist Magazine.

Why Social Media?
Why is the FBI looking towards social media for the next step in national security? According to the request by the FBI’s Strategic Information and Operations Center, social networking is the premier first response system to key events and the “primal alert to possible developing situations.”

What does The Application Do Specifically?
Although the application has little information released to the public, the FBI claims that the application allows them to predict both domestic and global threats by being able to predict the actions of individuals deemed to be a threat, detect people who are misleading law enforcement through their online actions, and to track the actions of groups that are suspected of terrorist actions. According to a spokeswoman knowledgeable of the project, the application will not differ from other similar types of applications being utilized by other governmental agencies. There are still some concerns by many that the application will allow the FBI to zero in on specific individuals; however, the FBI spokeswoman insists that the application is simply designed to track the “words and activities constituting violations of federal criminal law or threats to national security.”

The internet is a public place and what you post here is open to the public. There is no right of privacy on the internet and yes, the FBI is not the only agency monitoring the internet. Your local police could be doing the same thing.

From my perspective this is like having cops patrolling in your own home town. They aren't concerned about the average law abiding citizens. They are only interested in those whose intentions are illegal. It was by monitoring social media that the FBI caught the 3 men from Georgia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/03/us/georgia-men-held-in-plot-to-attack-government.html

So obviously this is an effective means of law enforcement. Do you have an opinion on this monitoring? Do you support it or oppose it?
It all depends on what the White House thinks is illegal. The FBI answers to Obama....so no.....this is bad.

He's already sticking his nose into every other part of our lives.....this is just one more.

Nothing worse than vindictive liberals spying on average citizens.
They were doing this before the POTUS got into office. They just made it officially sanctioned with the Patriot Act.

This is true. If you are a blogger? They have a telephone book size file on you. (most likely) It comes with the territory. I'm amazed by people who do not realize this. They have been doing it for (at least) over a decade - before the patriot act even. I'm all for it. They are on the ball. It's a good thing.

Last edited:

Pretty ironic.

Whats your solution?
D'Oh!

It's all public!!!!\
\\

The government is reading public stuff? OMFG! Call FOX News

Pretty ironic.

They always were.
You got some proof of that? I have proof of wire taps and packet sniffers.
Whip it out then.

Social media isn’t just a tool for employers screening prospective workers anymore. Watch out for an FBI app designed for social media scraping. Social media can work as an early warning system for potential threats, criminal activity, or other risks. As of April 2013, the social media companies are still lobbying against this endeavor by the FBI. The companies who are listed among those actively resisting include Google, Facebook, and Yahoo.

According to sources, the FBI has been looking in to hiring a contracting company to put together an application to scrape social media sites for signs of domestic and global threats. While some indicate that the application could allow for early warning against threats to our country, others are quick to point out that such an endeavor could implicate trouble for freedom of speech. The request by the FBI for the scraping application was posted on the FBI’s Strategic Information and Operations Center website on January 19, 2012, when it caught the attention of a number of other groups including New Scientist Magazine.

Why Social Media?
Why is the FBI looking towards social media for the next step in national security? According to the request by the FBI’s Strategic Information and Operations Center, social networking is the premier first response system to key events and the “primal alert to possible developing situations.”

Although the application has little information released to the public, the FBI claims that the application allows them to predict both domestic and global threats by being able to predict the actions of individuals deemed to be a threat, detect people who are misleading law enforcement through their online actions, and to track the actions of groups that are suspected of terrorist actions. According to a spokeswoman knowledgeable of the project, the application will not differ from other similar types of applications being utilized by other governmental agencies. There are still some concerns by many that the application will allow the FBI to zero in on specific individuals; however, the FBI spokeswoman insists that the application is simply designed to track the “words and activities constituting violations of federal criminal law or threats to national security.”

The internet is a public place and what you post here is open to the public. There is no right of privacy on the internet and yes, the FBI is not the only agency monitoring the internet. Your local police could be doing the same thing.

From my perspective this is like having cops patrolling in your own home town. They aren't concerned about the average law abiding citizens. They are only interested in those whose intentions are illegal. It was by monitoring social media that the FBI caught the 3 men from Georgia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/03/us/georgia-men-held-in-plot-to-attack-government.html

So obviously this is an effective means of law enforcement. Do you have an opinion on this monitoring? Do you support it or oppose it?
Of course they should. It's all public information.

Why allow shitheads safe havens?

Pretty ironic.

That was Bush jr and you never uttered a single whine about him doing it.
And you're a liar. Remember all of the discussions about FISA courts??

No, of course not.

That was because Bush jr was illegally bypassing the FISA courts in order to tap into phone calls.

Pretty ironic.

They arent private either anymore. Most have a Voip infrastructure now or at least a Voip background. Just like internet traffic.

Good point!

.......and they read emails too. If you are on a message board - they can track you down the same day and be knocking on your door. It's that fast.

Emails are not private even to private citizens. If you send someone an email to their email address? They have your location. It is in the IP and it is inside every email.

Why Social Media?

It all depends on what the White House thinks is illegal. The FBI answers to Obama....so no.....this is bad.

He's already sticking his nose into every other part of our lives.....this is just one more.

This is true. If you are a blogger? They have a telephone book size file on you. It comes with the territory. I'm amazed by people who do not realize this. They have been doing it for (at least) over a decade - before the patriot act even. I'm all for it. They are on the ball. It's a good thing.
Whats amazing to me is that people dont reallize that any new technology is analyzed for possible "threats to national security" before they are deployed. Part of the process is figuring out its weaknesses and ways to exploit it for intelligence. It boggles my mind that people are this clueless. SMDH

Why Social Media?

This is true. If you are a blogger? They have a telephone book size file on you. It comes with the territory. I'm amazed by people who do not realize this. They have been doing it for (at least) over a decade - before the patriot act even. I'm all for it. They are on the ball. It's a good thing.
All of that information is useless with this screwball. He'll only use it to get even with political enemies. Never to defend the nation.

Pretty ironic.

Good point!

.......and they read emails too. If you are on a message board - they can track you down the same day and be knocking on your door. It's that fast.

Emails are not private even to private citizens. If you send someone an email to their email address? They have your location. It is in the IP and it is inside every email.
I bet mudwhistle doesnt realize that the email he gets is a copy of the one sitting on someones server out on the internet.

Why Social Media?

All of that information is useless with this screwball. He'll only use it to get even with political enemies. Never to defend the nation.

wingnut response alert!

Pretty ironic.

Good point!

I bet mudwhistle doesnt realize that the email he gets is a copy of the one sitting on someones server out on the internet.
who owns your emails?

:eek:

Why Social Media?

Thats not really how it works but good try at the partisan approach.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back