Big Brother is reading USMB

Should the FBI be monitoring Social Media sites like USMB?

• Yes

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • WTF?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pineapple

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I remember when I first got into the field and I was monitoring internet traffic for this company. You would be surprised at the things people look at on the internet while at work.
"but so what", has always been my point
Lots of people lost their jobs for the things they were looking at. It wasn't across the board. it was a means to get rid of people they didnt like. Lets say they wanted to fire an employee. A casual peruse of their internet traffic history logged on a proxy server was often used to build a case against them. They got fired for violating internet usage policy.
Most people who work in the tech world are creepy. very few ethics

take that to the bank

“The internet is a public place and what you post here is open to the public. There is no right of privacy on the internet and yes, the FBI is not the only agency monitoring the internet. Your local police could be doing the same thing.”

Correct, there is no reasonable expectation of privacy when one willingly submits information to a third party via the internet, email, text, or wireless communications.

I disagree in regards to email, text, and wireless communications. When you post something publicly on Facebook or USMB it's expected that everybody can see it. When it comes to a private conversation on the phone people do expect a certain level of privacy. It's not a right, but it doesn't make violating that privacy right either.

JEREMIAH SAID:

“.......and they read emails too. If you are on a message board - they can track you down the same day and be knocking on your door. It's that fast.”

Um, no – reading emails and blog posts is one thing, knocking on doors is something else altogether.

Knocking on doors requires a warrant, where law enforcement must take the information they gather from emails and blog posts and present it to a neutral magistrate to authorize a search.

Although there's no expectation to privacy, there is still an expectation to due process.

Information is the only consolation. At least you know. Has nothing to do with liberal or conservative.
I remember the days not long ago, that mentioning the administration was "Data-mining" outgoing phone conversations to terrorist countries the howls from the left were tremendous because it was Bush. Now that the FBI is spying on our conversations, no problem.

Pretty ironic.

Two completely unrelated issues!

Phone calls are private. Internet postings are public.
What they do to us because of what we post is illegal.

I'm convinced you assholes will go along with any criminal act these tossers pull, all in the name of protecting your fearless dictator in the Oval Office.
Whats your solution?
Vote them out of course. What's yours. Act like one of his sheeple and keep your mouth shut hoping they don't come for you?

It was a Republican who enacted the Patriot Act but if you put a Republican in the WH, he'll repeal it, right?

“The internet is a public place and what you post here is open to the public. There is no right of privacy on the internet and yes, the FBI is not the only agency monitoring the internet. Your local police could be doing the same thing.”

Correct, there is no reasonable expectation of privacy when one willingly submits information to a third party via the internet, email, text, or wireless communications.

I disagree in regards to email, text, and wireless communications. When you post something publicly on Facebook or USMB it's expected that everybody can see it. When it comes to a private conversation on the phone people do expect a certain level of privacy. It's not a right, but it doesn't make violating that privacy right either.
You're at liberty to disagree, but until there's a way to send emails, text messages, and phone calls without an ISP or wireless company like Verizon, there's no reasonable expectation of privacy – you're still turning over personal information to a private third party.

I remember the days not long ago, that mentioning the administration was "Data-mining" outgoing phone conversations to terrorist countries the howls from the left were tremendous because it was Bush. Now that the FBI is spying on our conversations, no problem.

Pretty ironic.

I'm convinced you assholes will go along with any criminal act these tossers pull, all in the name of protecting your fearless dictator in the Oval Office.
Whats your solution?
Vote them out of course. What's yours. Act like one of his sheeple and keep your mouth shut hoping they don't come for you?

It was a Republican who enacted the Patriot Act but if you put a Republican in the WH, he'll repeal it, right?
Why wait?

Republicans currently control Congress – they could repeal the PA next week.

You're at liberty to disagree, but until there's a way to send emails, text messages, and phone calls without an ISP or wireless company like Verizon, there's no reasonable expectation of privacy – you're still turning over personal information to a private third party.

Don't be all civil while I'm trying to disagree with you. What the fuck... :mad:

Seriously though, I support law enforcement going through the same channels they would to obtain any other search warrant. If there is enough evidence that a judge approves it, it's fair game. Unfortunately, in the case of the NSA, it looks like they have bypassed those channels many times over, without always getting approval from the third party provider. I consider that theft of private data. Not of the person whose conversation it was, but of the third party provider who holds that data.

Whats your solution?

Why wait?

Republicans currently control Congress – they could repeal the PA next week.
Doesn't that take Obama's signature......hmmmmmm?

Maybe the FBI has received complaints about USMB.

More likely they followed just followed the scum from Stormfront.

Maybe. Half the Nazis were queer though. Or are you trying to suggest there's some parallel attraction between USMB and Stormfront?
Half?

:cuckoo:

Ummm...well, OK. Unlike 99% of the queers onboard, I actually admit when I'm caught stretching the bounds of credibility, and then it's almost always in a humorous context. There was only ever one census conducted by Germany of its queer population. I should say its queer male population, over 15 years of age. I've written six thousand-word essays on this subject, footnoted and referenced, but I'm going to cut it short, because this deserves a thread or 12 of its own. The German male homosexual population in the mid 1930's was 3.2 million.

Maybe. Half the Nazis were queer though. Or are you trying to suggest there's some parallel attraction between USMB and Stormfront?
Half?

Ummm...well, OK. Unlike 99% of the queers onboard, I actually admit when I'm caught stretching the bounds of credibility, and then it's almost always in a humorous context. There was only ever one census conducted by Germany of its queer population. I should say its queer male population, over 15 years of age. I've written six thousand-word essays on this subject, footnoted and referenced, but I'm going to cut it short, because this deserves a thread or 12 of its own. The German male homosexual population in the mid 1930's was 3.2 million.

"Unlike 99% of the queers onboard, I actually admit when I'm caught stretching the bounds of credibility.."

Happy for you that you're finally out of the closet.

It all depends on what the White House thinks is illegal. The FBI answers to Obama....so no.....this is bad.

He's already sticking his nose into every other part of our lives.....this is just one more.

Nothing worse than vindictive liberals spying on average citizens.
They were doing this before the POTUS got into office. They just made it officially sanctioned with the Patriot Act.
You know.....for some reason that's no consolation.
Information is the only consolation. At least you know. Has nothing to do with liberal or conservative.

Pretty ironic.
I dont remember those times. Maybe its because I have a background in the field and know the capabilities.

See, I told everyone Ed Snowden was a poster here. And no one believed me.

JEREMIAH SAID:

“.......and they read emails too. If you are on a message board - they can track you down the same day and be knocking on your door. It's that fast.”

Um, no – reading emails and blog posts is one thing, knocking on doors is something else altogether.

Knocking on doors requires a warrant, where law enforcement must take the information they gather from emails and blog posts and present it to a neutral magistrate to authorize a search.

Although there's no expectation to privacy, there is still an expectation to due process.

You are right. They probably won't knock on your door for anything written here, but some of the things said about the president can't make them happy. Perhaps they just put you on a list for a little closer observation? They can't monitor every phone call, but they can monitor the ones on a list that they think might be a potential problem.

Half?

"Unlike 99% of the queers onboard, I actually admit when I'm caught stretching the bounds of credibility.."

Happy for you that you're finally out of the closet.

1%ers are where you find them.

They were doing this before the POTUS got into office. They just made it officially sanctioned with the Patriot Act.
You know.....for some reason that's no consolation.

Pretty ironic.
I dont remember those times. Maybe its because I have a background in the field and know the capabilities.

See, I told everyone Ed Snowden was a poster here. And no one believed me.

I believe it and I was just thinking about that little bastard today.

Forum List

Back