Bill Allowing Businesses to Refuse Gays Service

I guess ignoring the fact that the people refused service for gay weddings, not gays in general. Are you saying people don't have the right to prefer traditional marriage or the choice not to participate in nontraditional ceremonies?

To clarify, I support a business's right to refuse service to anyone they want. I'm generally a person who wants less government involvement in our lives.

The OP question was why do Christians single gay people out? Why don't they also refuse to serve people who work on Sunday (by choice) - for instance - or a guy who says "Jesus Christ" in vein all of the time, or a guy who gambles and is divorced, or a guy who's known to worship idols, or a guy who doesn't honor his parents, etc?

Why do they single out the gays as the customer of choice to refuse, as if they are the only humans on the planet who sin?

Do they refuse service to Muslims? Jews? Hindus? Atheists?

ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

Doesn't sound like a successful business model to me.

Irrelevant. It is not the government's job to mandate what is and isn't a "successful business model", nor is it any of YOUR business to invalidate someone else's rights simply because you consider the way they choose to exercise them to be "unsuccessful".

Or a gay bar refusing a heterosexual couple. I'd like them to have that freedom of choice. I'm pro-choice in that regard. I don't know how a gay would be discriminated against by eyesight alone though. Or any other sexual persuasion.

Do gay bars refuse heterosexual couples? Not sure if that's a thing. You be hard pressed to find any sort of gay-operated business that would "refuse service" to straight people due to the fact that 95% of the population is straight.

And disagree with your sight comment; I think you CAN identify SOME gay people simply by they way they dress. Also what about word of mouth in small towns? Also what about a family with two moms and kids? That's pretty visible.

Depends on where you are. I'm not aware of any that do so in Arizona, simply because they make so much money off of the hetero friends of gays, but I've heard that in some other states there are bars that do so, officially and unofficially both.

So here is what this law means righties.

A "Small Business Owner" in Arizona who is a Non-Christian, can deny service to a "Christian".

Thank you and good night.

Try thinking next time.

Do gay bars refuse heterosexual couples? Not sure if that's a thing. You be hard pressed to find any sort of gay-operated business that would "refuse service" to straight people due to the fact that 95% of the population is straight.

And disagree with your sight comment; I think you CAN identify SOME gay people simply by they way they dress. Also what about word of mouth in small towns? Also what about a family with two moms and kids? That's pretty visible.
I haven't been to any gay bars so I wouldn't know. The point was hypothetical though. Two women with kids means they're gay? Seriously?

You have a point about small towns though but has this been a problem?

Oh, yeah, because single moms don't go ANYWHERE with their kids and their besties both in tow. Puhleeze.

I think business owners in small towns are quite sensitive to the limited nature of their customer base, to be honest. It's always a bad idea to burn bridges in a place where there just aren't that many bridges to burn, metaphorically speaking.

Or a gay bar refusing a heterosexual couple. I'd like them to have that freedom of choice. I'm pro-choice in that regard. I don't know how a gay would be discriminated against by eyesight alone though. Or any other sexual persuasion.

Would a hetero couple want to be in a Gay Bar ?

I once walked into one by mistake - in 30 seconds I was late for the door

As a matter of fact, just for the record, my ex-boyfriend and I used to go to Sunday brunch at a gay bar in town all the time, because they had a kickass buffet and drag show. Plus, my ex was SERIOUSLY attractive to gay men, and it was hilarious to watch him fending off advances.

Yeah, okay, I'm mildly sadistic, I admit it.

Did it open a can of worms when businesses could no longer have a "whites only" section? I don't think so.

I don't think this is a can of worms here...

So you're cool with someone being put in jail for refusing to service a gay wedding? Think carefully before you say yes, because you're also saying yes to jailing blacks that refuse to service a KKK event, of a Jew who refuses to service a Nazi event, should I go on?

Jail? No, of course not.

But do you understand my slippery slope concern? How can we protect a person like a cake builder who doesn’t want to directly participate in a gay wedding while at the same time not open the doors to entire towns not serving gay people?

I don't understand how serving a gay guy a beer is "violating religious freedom", but I feel like this law is going to be abused to accommodate such a scenario.

By understanding that 1) there aren't entire towns WANTING to refuse gay people, and 2) if that many people want to club together and have their own town, it's probably better to have them in their own isolated section of the world, anyway.

Are we passing this ENTIRE law just to protect cake makers from making gay cakes? Maybe it'll cover a handful of other wedding-related services?

I'm interested in this dialog; what are the other scenarios where doing business with a gay would 'threaten religious freedom', and the business owner can't already back out of the deal (like a photographer)?
I don't know the scope of the law but it isn't such a small matter. Anyone that does anything in the graphic or print world, sign making, invitations, etc. And any profession that could be asked to produce a gay theme of sorts.

I mentioned earlier, long before this state even had gay marriage, Canadian gays ganged up on a Seattle wedding invitation provider. A small business owned by a Christian lady that refused to offer them gay announcements.

Seattle had some "anti-discrimination" law that included sexual orientation. I heard the gays call in to a local talk show bragging about how they were piling on and causing her fine after fine after fine. That amy be OK with you but from I'm sitting that's sick, twisted and evil.

They could have gone to any number of other places but their intend is to intimidate, blackmail and force you out of business if you dare to not hold their RELATIONSHIPS in the same regard as the traditional men and women.

But every argument I've heard is in the wedding context whereas I think this law is going to be abused by non-wedding related businesses (like a bar, serving a man walking in). You know? Is there away we can also prevent that from occurring?

The pertinent questions are: WHY do you even think that's going to be a problem? And why do you think YOU need to prevent it, instead of letting the market regulate itself?

Jail? No, of course not.

But do you understand my slippery slope concern? How can we protect a person like a cake builder who doesn’t want to directly participate in a gay wedding while at the same time not open the doors to entire towns not serving gay people?

I don't understand how serving a gay guy a beer is "violating religious freedom", but I feel like this law is going to be abused to accommodate such a scenario.

Anytime you use the force of law there is always a chance of being jailed and who would have thought the faghadist would be going after people with such zeal who don't agree with them. Gays have always had the same protections as everyone else, but that's not good enough, now they want special treatment for their sexual proclivities, they want to me more equal than other men or women.

In the context of this conversation, we're talking exclusively about gays not being treated equally. The cake person WILL make a cake for the straight couple, but WON'T make it for the gays. The bar WILL serve to a straight person, but WON'T serve the gays.

In the context of this conversation, it truly is a discussion about equal treatment and lack thereof...

Pretty sure it's a discussion about whether it's appropriate for the government to mandate that private citizens owe anyone "equal treatment".

In the context of this conversation, we're talking exclusively about gays not being treated equally. The cake person WILL make a cake for the straight couple, but WON'T make it for the gays. The bar WILL serve to a straight person, but WON'T serve the gays.

In the context of this conversation, it truly is a discussion about equal treatment and lack thereof...
There's a differnce between serving a homosexual and being forced to produce a homosexual themed product. Why is that so goddamned hard to understand?

I understand, but my point was that gays want to be treated equally by businesses owners. Right? That's a fair statement.

If a cake maker says no to the gay couple and yes to the straight couple, that is unequal treatment, right?

Gays want to be treated as though everyone agrees with and approves of them. Sorry, but they're not entitled to that. The honest truth is that private citizens DON'T all like and approve of everyone equally, and they're not obligated to, and the law has no business telling them they have to.

By your standard, I don't treat the guys who hit on me "equally" because I reject 95% of them right off the bat, just because I don't like the way they look. Furthermore, I don't date black men, and virtually never date Hispanic men (I have a preference for either blonds or Asians). Should those guys sue me because I'm not treating them "equally"?

I understand, but my point was that gays want to be treated equally by businesses owners. Right? That's a fair statement.

If a cake maker says no to the gay couple and yes to the straight couple, that is unequal treatment, right?
And a Nazi couple may decide that a Jewish baker make them a Swastika cake. That would be equal too then. There is no right to a wedding cake of your choosing. You find someone willing to make it.

Hey I already said that I understand that perspective, however (I've asked this before) do you think this law is going to be abused in the sense gays will be refused restaurant service, bar service, etc in a manner that really has nothing to do with religious freedom anymore?

Are you concerned about that?

Exactly how, in these fevered hypothetical imaginings of rampant gay shunning you have, do you envision restaurants and bars knowing the person is gay in order to refuse them service? This is assuming, of course, that one considers that "abuse" of the law, which I don't happen to do.

If you are going to claim religious reasons prevent you from serving gays, then the courts should be able to reference your religious texts and make sure you do not serve ANY person who has participated in ANY prohibited activity.

If you served ONE person who has broken a single one of your religious tenets, then your "religious principles" defense is gone.

As a Christian, I detest those who have bastardized my faith to serve political purposes. There is NOTHING in the teachings of Jesus to defend actions like these. So yes, they should be discredited.

Exactly why is it that you think the court should have the right and ability to decide whether or not someone's beliefs are "valid" or meet some sort of public standard of verification? What fucking country did you grow up in, that you think rights require that you beg someone, hat in hand, to be allowed to exercise them? What part of the phrase "personal religious beliefs" do you need diagrammed for you, Big Brother?

It is part of the Bill of Rights, and maybe you should do a little reading...

The Free Exercise Clause is the accompanying clause with the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. The Establishment Clause and the Free Exercise Clause together read:
“ Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof... ”

In 1878, the Supreme Court was first called to interpret the extent of the Free Exercise Clause in Reynolds v. United States, as related to the prosecution of polygamy under federal law. The Supreme Court upheld Reynolds' conviction for bigamy, deciding that to do otherwise would provide constitutional protection for a gamut of religious beliefs, including those as extreme as human sacrifice. The Court said (at page 162): "Congress cannot pass a law for the government of the Territory which shall prohibit the free exercise of religion. The first amendment to the Constitution expressly forbids such legislation." Of federal territorial laws, the Court said: "Laws are made for the government of actions, and while they cannot interfere with mere religious beliefs and opinions, they may with practices."

Yes, never mind figuring out what the Constitution says by reading the Constitution. You should go read Wikipedia and have it tell you what the Constitution says. :lmao:

Ohmigod, my sides literally hurt from laughing at this.

The WORDS and the ruling of Reynolds v. United States EXIST, regardless of your ignorant, non sequitur wiki rant. It IS the law of the land.

But feel free to spew the anecdotal to support your RIGHT to discriminate...

Cecilie1200 said:
No, we're defending THE RIGHT to discriminate.

You cited Wikipedia as a Constitutional source. There is literally nothing you will ever say again on this thread that will break through the peals of derisive, pitying laughter that will forever be associated with your existence.

Get yourself a jester cap and start jingling.

Hey I already said that I understand that perspective, however (I've asked this before) do you think this law is going to be abused in the sense gays will be refused restaurant service, bar service, etc in a manner that really has nothing to do with religious freedom anymore?

Are you concerned about that?
A law by definition can't be abused without legal repercussions. I'm not worried because a private enterprise should be allowed to decide what's right for them. I'm not sure how the sexual orientation figures into serving a gay person unless the gay person is asking for something specifically gay. I've answered that numerous times.

And again (back to the OP), my original question was are Christians (using that term in a very general way) as diligent in refusing business to someone who is remarrying? When you take a vow ("till death do you part") before God, and then try to marry someone else, essentially you are committing adultery. I grew up Catholic and this is what we were taught.

What's it to you if they do or don't? Are you them? Their pastor? God? Exactly what is your stake in deciding what THEY believe and how THEY choose to exercise it? At exactly what point did they become obligated to adhere to YOUR personal little list of "this is just as sinful, and THIS is how it should be treated"?

Basically, if they aren't praying to you every Sunday, it's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

My point is, why are all sins treated equally, or are gays getting singled out unfairly here?

My point is, it's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. It's not for you to tell private citizens what "fair and equal" is, or that they're obligated to behave that way, or what sin is, or what their beliefs are or should be, or how they should exercise them.

Say it with me now: "Mind your own business, Kevin."

I see Christians breaking laws scribed out in the Ten Commandments all of the time, without hesitation, but when it comes to discussing a gay person they'll dig up obscure passages, etc, and point out how they're not living by the book. You know what I mean?

Not trying to play games here, as I think that's a valid observation.

No, you're trying to play games. The game is called "I think I'm God", and the Bible mentions it a few times. May I direct you to the passage about "splinter in your neighbor's eye"?

I'm gonna try this one more time, and hopefully it'll break through your thick skull.

Christians have a personal relationship with God. Emphasis on the word "personal". That means it's between them and God. You are neither them nor God. That means you don't get a vote in what is required in that relationship. No one asked you.

I promise, the longer you practice at this whole "not trying to run other people's lives" thing, the easier it gets to discern what is and isn't your business. I urge you to begin now.

Joe+Rogan+on+gay+marriage_4b30ea_4808275.png

First try it and find out if you like it or not. Seriously... ;) Walk into a gay bar, pick up a gay person and have fun. I am thinking that all you homophobes were told it was bad and never attempted it.

Well, so much for that whole "born gay, it's not a choice" argument. Thanks for blowing THAT bullshit out of the water.

Moron.

Tell you what - you show me in the Bible where it says it is a sin to bake a cake for a gay person, and I'll change my mind.

Until then, I'm not buying into those who try to justify ignorance and hate with their "religion."

Tell you what: You show me ANYWHERE it's written that I'm obligated to justify my personal beliefs to YOU, and I'll get right on that.

Until then, I'm not buying into those who try to justify butting their noses into personal religious decisions with their "equality".

But feel free to spew the anecdotal to support your RIGHT to discriminate...
Business scholar huh? The first thing you learn in business is how to effectively discriminate. What to offer. What products and supplies to buy. What service to offer. What service to avoid, etc. But when a gay couple comes in we are supposed to grab our ankles.

No, the first thing you need to learn is the English language, and the ability to discern different meanings and definitions of a word.

Discriminate

discriminate against:
1) to treat someone unfairly because of their religion, race, or other personal features

Employers are not allowed to discriminate on the basis of gender.

discriminate between
2) to recognize the difference between things

Ooh, I know! Why don't you show us the Wikipedia post about the English language! I'm sure they're just as expert on that as they are on the Constitution! :lmao:

I think a bar refusing to serve a gay customer is something very similar to a bar refusing to serve a black customer.

Neither can be justified on the grounds of exercising one's "religious freedom", either.

This is what I'm most concerned about when talking about this new bill.
It shouldn't need to be justified, period.

I think a business should have to justify why they chose to not serve a black customer who has money, is being courteous, etc...

Don't you?

Obviously not.

Just a tip: Not everyone in the world thinks of themselves as a great moral arbiter to whom the rest of the world owes an explanation and justification.

So here is what this law means righties.

A "Small Business Owner" in Arizona who is a Non-Christian, can deny service to a "Christian".

Thank you and good night.

Try thinking next time.

So here is what your post means, leftie.

"I only support principles when they're convenient for me, so I assume everyone is as big a hypocrite as I am."

Thank you and fuck off.

Try not being such an immoral loser next time.

Forum List

Back