Bill introduced to ban Howard Zinn's books from public schools

I'm not in favor of any book banning...it's a slippery slope
Howard Zinn was teaching a class, but he wasn’t yet a professor and his classroom wasn’t at a university. It was late 1951, and the students who gathered for Zinn’s lessons in Brooklyn were his fellow members of the Communist Party USA.

One of Zinn’s comrades described him as “a person with some authority” within the local CPUSA section and said that Zinn’s class was on “basic Marxism,” the theme being “that the basic teachings of Marx and Lenin were sound and should be adhered to by those present.”

That description, furnished to the Federal Bureau of Investigation by a former Communist in 1957, is included in more than 400 pages of Zinn’s FBI file made public last week.

The FBI files demonstrate beyond reasonable doubt that Zinn — author of A People’s History of the United States, widely used as a textbook or supplement in many of our nation’s high schools and universities — was a card-carrying Communist at a time when the Soviet Union was America’s most dreaded enemy.

File No. 100-360217 was begun in March 1949 in response to an order from FBI director J. Edgar Hoover to Edward Scheidt, special agent in charge of the Bureau’s New York office. Zinn’s name had previously surfaced in connection with other FBI investigations of Communist Party activities, but a new report from an unnamed agent marked Zinn as a subject of special interest.

In 1948, an FBI confidential informant had spoken to Zinn at a protest in front of the White House and reported that, during the course of their conversation, “Zinn indicated that he is a member of the Communist Party and that he attends Party meetings five nights a week in Brooklyn.” Zinn, who was then a 26-year-old Army Air Force veteran attending New York University, expressed to the informant his support for Henry Wallace’s third-party “Progressive” presidential campaign, “indicating that the Communist Party was 100% behind this Movement,” according to the FBI file.

Additional investigation showed that Zinn was active in several Communist-dominated “front groups,” and that in 1947 Zinn was a delegate to a conference of the Joint Anti-Fascist Refugee Committee, which had been designated a subversive organization by the Attorney General pursuant to a 1947 executive order of President Truman. Furthermore, according to another informant, Zinn’s Brooklyn address “appeared on a list of addressograph stencils at Communist Party Headquarters” in New York.

The Case Against Howard Zinn

And ... ?

Ark. bill introduced to ban Howard Zinn books from public schools

I agree we need to ban unAmerican books like this filth,it will only make kids go to a public library and check it out. I know who he is and I don't have any interest in reading his filth marxist anti American garbage he passed off as literature. Its better to bring it up in class have an open discussion about this Anti American marxist scumbag and be done with it. :)
Interesting. Never heard of him before. Will have to check his books out. Thank you for bringing him to my attention.

He's often on FSTV and LINK - both excellent networks for documentaries

RWNJs like Odius need to think this through. They seem to believe its only lib/Dems who will lose rights.

I hate the ignorant, racist garbage that Odious and other inbred cracker trailer trash spew. Despise Westboro and would love to see white suprmacists, kkk, aryan yadda yadda drop off the face of the earth. They serve no purpose and suck up O2 that would be better used damn near anyplace else.

But, IMO, free speech is the price we pay for free speech. No, that's not a typo. If we silence those with whom we disagree, we lose our own freedom to speak as well.

Howard Zinn was teaching a class, but he wasn’t yet a professor and his classroom wasn’t at a university. It was late 1951, and the students who gathered for Zinn’s lessons in Brooklyn were his fellow members of the Communist Party USA.

One of Zinn’s comrades described him as “a person with some authority” within the local CPUSA section and said that Zinn’s class was on “basic Marxism,” the theme being “that the basic teachings of Marx and Lenin were sound and should be adhered to by those present.”

That description, furnished to the Federal Bureau of Investigation by a former Communist in 1957, is included in more than 400 pages of Zinn’s FBI file made public last week.

The FBI files demonstrate beyond reasonable doubt that Zinn — author of A People’s History of the United States, widely used as a textbook or supplement in many of our nation’s high schools and universities — was a card-carrying Communist at a time when the Soviet Union was America’s most dreaded enemy.

File No. 100-360217 was begun in March 1949 in response to an order from FBI director J. Edgar Hoover to Edward Scheidt, special agent in charge of the Bureau’s New York office. Zinn’s name had previously surfaced in connection with other FBI investigations of Communist Party activities, but a new report from an unnamed agent marked Zinn as a subject of special interest.

In 1948, an FBI confidential informant had spoken to Zinn at a protest in front of the White House and reported that, during the course of their conversation, “Zinn indicated that he is a member of the Communist Party and that he attends Party meetings five nights a week in Brooklyn.” Zinn, who was then a 26-year-old Army Air Force veteran attending New York University, expressed to the informant his support for Henry Wallace’s third-party “Progressive” presidential campaign, “indicating that the Communist Party was 100% behind this Movement,” according to the FBI file.

Additional investigation showed that Zinn was active in several Communist-dominated “front groups,” and that in 1947 Zinn was a delegate to a conference of the Joint Anti-Fascist Refugee Committee, which had been designated a subversive organization by the Attorney General pursuant to a 1947 executive order of President Truman. Furthermore, according to another informant, Zinn’s Brooklyn address “appeared on a list of addressograph stencils at Communist Party Headquarters” in New York.

Sorry but when you start banning books where does it stop? Classics such as Huck Finn and others are under fire. I just don't agree with it

It's a Marxist-based textbook and lesson plan. I think it should be removed in that capacity. Keep it in the school library and out of the classroom.

Marxism goes directly against the principles the United States was founded upon.

Use a factually-based, unbiased history book.

I agree we need to ban unAmerican books like this filth,it will only make kids go to a public library and check it out. I know who he is and I don't have any interest in reading his filth marxist anti American garbage he passed off as literature. Its better to bring it up in class have an open discussion about this Anti American marxist scumbag and be done with it. :)

I doubt many children have a desire to read fabricated "history.'

I oppose "banning" any book, but to use openly anti-American propaganda as a text for impressionable youth is a clear attempt by the left to hack our nation.

And it's been going on for 30 years. This is much of the reason we have Snowflakes violently attacking people to silence speech they oppose? The violent leftist thugs at Middlebury are the natural consequence of using Marxist agitprop as the foundation for teaching.

Forbidding this bit of trash from being used as the text for American History is no more "book banning" than forbidding the use of the "Happy Hooker" as the foundation for math class.

It is Arkanass, and a GOP man, no surprise.. Arkanass legislature members are also trying to deny the state the operation of medical marijuana okayed by voters..

Sorry but when you start banning books where does it stop? Classics such as Huck Finn and others are under fire. I just don't agree with it

It's a Marxist-based textbook and lesson plan. I think it should be removed in that capacity. Keep it in the school library and out of the classroom.

Use a factually-based, unbiased history book.
Got an example or you just shootin' from the hip?

I didn't know they have books in Arkansas.

Agreed. Let local school districts and parents decide what books to use.
It's about to be decided with this bill and I, for one, would like to see his books banned. Marxist educators produce Marxists. This isn't rocket science.

And when they decide to ban...oh say the Bible? Will you still support book banning?
Only the New Age version...

Some are made from cowhide..

Hey Vlad, did you know that the toothbrush was invented in Arkansas?

If it had been invented anywhere else, it would have been called the TEETH brush.

And ... ?

Interesting. Never heard of him before. Will have to check his books out. Thank you for bringing him to my attention.

He's often on FSTV and LINK - both excellent networks for documentaries

RWNJs like Odius need to think this through. They seem to believe its only lib/Dems who will lose rights.

I hate the ignorant, racist garbage that Odious and other inbred cracker trailer trash spew. Despise Westboro and would love to see white suprmacists, kkk, aryan yadda yadda drop off the face of the earth. They serve no purpose and suck up O2 that would be better used damn near anyplace else.

But, IMO, free speech is the price we pay for free speech. No, that's not a typo. If we silence those with whom we disagree, we lose our own freedom to speak as well.
If it were a Holy Bible being used as a text book you'd be screaming separation of church and State, Luddly. Communism was the religion of Karl Marx. The Communist Manifesto was his bible and Lucifer was his god. Go read the book, Marx & Satan by Richard Wurmbrand if you don't believe it.

Figures Bubba Clinton hails from there, no?

It's about to be decided with this bill and I, for one, would like to see his books banned. Marxist educators produce Marxists. This isn't rocket science.

And when they decide to ban...oh say the Bible? Will you still support book banning?
They already banned the Bible from School curriculum. So why is Communism permitted?

They already banned the Bible from School curriculum. Where have you been?

Not in our's schools. Another reason ours attend private schools

Forum List

Back