Billy Joel

He was best when he was first starting out. There was an angry, hungry edge to his music. His first five albums were the best of the lot, everything after The Stranger was shit, save for a few songs here and there.

I saw him in concert many, many times. I stopped going when I knew more of the words to his songs than he did. Or at least I was sober enough to know them when he wasn't.

But those first five albums...

I always laugh when 5 foot 5 Billy Joel portrays himself as a tough guy rogue in his songs. Example is "Only the Good Die Young".

He was best when he was first starting out. There was an angry, hungry edge to his music. His first five albums were the best of the lot, everything after The Stranger was shit, save for a few songs here and there.

I saw him in concert many, many times. I stopped going when I knew more of the words to his songs than he did. Or at least I was sober enough to know them when he wasn't.

But those first five albums...
I'm a piano player, and he's my idol, along with the Beatles. But I couldn't agree with you more! After Christie, he got pop, and I hated it. Just a few great songs after that. You nailed it!

He admits it too, he can't write hits anymore. He just plays the songs people want to hear in concerts. And works on his classical music writing.

That's cool you're from Levittown. I lived there for 10 years. On Haven Lane, off Center LN. But I'm from Queens, NY before that.

Forum List

Back