Bird feeders

Larsky

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2016
DuPage County
Let's see 'em!
1000005598.jpg

How high do you hang it, and how much and how often do you have to fill it with feed?
I trained wild birds for years... It took a ton of time. And I had to stand there with my hand out- full of seeds- like a statue. Once the first bird landed- it was done... next was bird #2- then more and more.. it took the first brave bird.
Us kids would travel between homes.. the birds followed us everywhere.... pocket full of sunflower seeds... It went on for 25 years... the adult birds- taught the kids. It was really something very special...
my neighbor has 47 cats- the birds are all gone now.

I trained wild birds for years... It took a ton of time. And I had to stand there with my hand out- full of seeds- like a statue. Once the first bird landed- it was done... next was bird #2- then more and more.. it took the first brave bird.
Us kids would travel between homes.. the birds followed us everywhere.... pocket full of sunflower seeds... It went on for 25 years... the adult birds- taught the kids. It was really something very special...
I have seen videos of people hand feeding birds. I'm jealous, but I don't have the patience for that sort of thing.

The Canadian Jay or Gray Jay is a wild bird that occasionally will eat from your hand. They come into campsites looking for anything they can grab that's not put away.
We were feeding a pair scraps of Doritos and by the time they left, their beaks were covered in orange cheese dust...lol.

I have seen videos of people hand feeding birds. I'm jealous, but I don't have the patience for that sort of thing.
That was years ago... it take hours.
But once they were trained- They luved humans and would land on mens hats... everybody carried seeds... tiny little birds- chick- a -dees and these things that looked like them Called nut hatchers.. They were all small. It was FUN. I had trained 3 squirrels a few years back. that was fun too. I would sit on the deck and feed them. It amused me- and gave me fresh air.
once again my neighbor with 47 cats - put an end to that. none will come with wild cats all around.
now i luv Parrots. LOL

The Canadian Jay or Gray Jay is a wild bird that occasionally will eat from your hand. They come into campsites looking for anything they can grab that's not put away.
We were feeding a pair scraps of Doritos and by the time they left, their beaks were covered in orange cheese dust...lol.
I can get my dogs to do anything for one of those welfare - orange cheese doodles. I scream out the door.... come in.. Cheese POOFS. They come a running.. :D

That was years ago... it take hours.
But once they were trained- They luved humans and would land on mens hats... everybody carried seeds... tiny little birds- chick- a -dees and these things that looked like them Called nut hatchers.. They were all small. It was FUN. I had trained 3 squirrels a few years back. that was fun too. I would sit on the deck and feed them. It amused me- and gave me fresh air.
once again my neighbor with 47 cats - put an end to that. none will come with wild cats all around.
now i luv Parrots. LOL
There was old family footage of the ex wife's father who had a crow befriend him for the day fishing on a little boat. Crow hung out all day on the boat with him.

It was a little campground, so the bird was probably used to people.

There was old family footage of the ex wife's father who had a crow befriend him for the day fishing on a little boat. Crow hung out all day on the boat with him.

It was a little campground, so the bird was probably used to people.
its little things in life- that are so cool.
crows are smart! So i hear. he grew up a beggar!

I got some crows I'm trying to buddy up to, but they're pretty cagey.

Forum List

Back