Black-eyed Peas and Collard Greens or Corned Beef And Cabbage For New Year's Day?

It was a passed down family tradition to have black-eyed pea's as part of our New Years day meal.
But I couldn't get any of my kids to eat even half of a spoon full just to try them.
Now my grandkids aren't served them and the tradition is gone. .. :(
To be honest the only thing I really like is the Cabbage. ;)

• TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN NEW YEARS DAY MEAL

• Greens resemble money, specifically folding money. Make dishes using boiled cabbage or sauerkraut, collard greens, kale, chard, mustard greens, turnip greens, or other green, leafy vegetables to ensure good fortune for the coming year.
  • Pork is considered a sign of prosperity in some cultures because pigs root forward. Many Southern New Year's Day dishes contain pork or ham, but feel free to serve a pork roast or baked ham as an entrée.
  • Cornbread might symbolize gold, and besides, it is essential with black-eyed peas and greens.
  • In other cultures, fish, grapes, and ring-shaped cakes or doughnuts, or cakes with special treats inside symbolize luck.

What Not to Eat on New Year's Day​

• Some believe that lobster could cause bad luck in the coming year because it moves in a backward direction and could mean setbacks in the year ahead.
  • For the same reason, some believe chicken dishes should be avoided New Years Day. Chickens scratch backward, plus they are winged so your luck could fly away.

It was a passed down family tradition to have black-eyed pea's as part of our New Years day meal.
But I couldn't get any of my kids to eat even half of a spoon full just to try them.
Most people have no idea how to make a good pot of beans. The secret ingredient is Crisco shortening. If there's not a big heaping tablespoon full in there no one is going to eat much.

Well, which is it in your neck of the woods?

Black-Eyed Peas with Bacon and Jalapenos,
Cole Slaw the way my mama used to make it
And a Cochon de Lait

OIP.PuxORFLsnQwfAYxVN69D_AHaEt

Oh ... And a healthy application of bourbon of course.

In my family it was Blackeyed Peas and Cornbread.

But I HATE Blackeyed Peas. GAG!!!! I hate "dry" beans like Butter Beans and Blackeyed Peas.

I don't really do anything though.............it's just a date change, which happens every night at midnight anyway.

Roasted pork shoulder, German style potato salad, yellow rice with beans, salad and NY style cheesecake for dessert. Sparkling apple cider to drink.

Black eyed peas, collard greens and ham, cooked by my future mother in law (who is an EXCELLENT cook).

Happy New Year's Eve y'all.............congrats on making another revolution around the Sun!

I'm switching my New Year's meal due to moving to SC. When I was in Texas, it was Texas Caviar (a mixture of black eyed peas and other stuff) that was sought after for the meal.

Same in my family--wife doesn't like black-eyed peas, so we don't have them.

Forum List

Back