Black-eyed Peas and Collard Greens or Corned Beef And Cabbage For New Year's Day?

20221231_125337.jpg

Grill ready. Will burn for about 8 hours at roughly 220 without ever needing more coal.

Same here, wife didn't like black-eyed peas.
But I made sure they were on the dinner table.
When the kids saw their mother wouldn't eat them.
They followed her lead and refused to eat them. ... :(
I had the same experience. Another one was hominy--she doesn't like that either, but I can get her to eat a little pozole.

Pozole is great. The hominy is saturated with the flavors of pork or chicken and typically with two or three types of chili--top it off with some cilantro, onions and some shredded cheese--MMM, MMM.
Never heard of it but sounds like something I need to try.
Next time I go to south Texas to visit relatives.
I'll stop by my favorite little Mexican food place and order some .. :thup:

Last edited:
It is a Mexican soup dish and many people eat it on New Years day for luck. It is pronounce po-so-lay.
Went to a small Mexican cantina on Saturday mornings and had Menudo.
(said to be the national hangover cure in Mexico)
Looked up Pozole and said it's basically the same dish as Menudo, except they use different meat in the recipe.
Pozole uses pork, sometimes chicken.
Menudo uses tripe, (cow stomach).

Went to a small Mexican cantina on Saturday mornings and had Menudo.
(said to be the national hangover cure in Mexico)
Looked up Pozole and said it's basically the same dish as Menudo, except they use different meat in the recipe.
Pozole uses pork, sometimes chicken.
Menudo uses tripe, (cow stomach).
I've never had Menudo--couldn't get past the tripe. LOL

I'll eat hominy but not a big fan.
But I love grits with butter, and especially cheese grits. .. :thup:
When I was around 5 my mom made homney, rhubarb, hamburger helper & liver ALL THE TIME.

I don't eat trash food anymore. That shit was fucking nasty. I'd rather OD on Taco Bell or Hardee's and they suck too

When I was around 5 my mom made homney, rhubarb, hamburger helper & liver ALL THE TIME.

I don't eat trash food anymore. That shit was fucking nasty. I'd rather OD on Taco Bell or Hardee's and they suck too
I'd agree with you on the hamburger helper and DEFINITELY on the liver, but I like rhubarb and hominy. Hominy is just popped corn--popped a different way.

Forum List

Back