Border Agent's Sentence Commuted

awww....that really breaks my heart.

Help me out here. You can call me all the names you wish but I am not allowed to return the favor in kind? Here is exactly how the conversation went.

You're an idiot, seriously.

I don't think that means he dislikes you Ravi.

If he was really really mad at you for so succinctly correcting him on police procedure, he would have called you a Muslim ****.

:lol:

reputation_neg.gif
Border Agent's Sentence... 01-21-2009 05:03 PM ABikerSailor Fuck you.
All this because you couldn't prove your assertion. Pretty lame.

CNN — LOU DOBBS TONIGHT — Aired January 21, 2009 - 19:00 ET

LOU DOBBS, CNN ANCHOR: President Bush this week commuting the prison sentences of former Border Patrol agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean. We on this broadcast have been reporting on this gross miscarriage of justice against these agents and their families for years. In this outrageous miscarriage of justice, Ramos and Compean were convicted of shooting a Mexican illegal alien drug smuggler who prosecutors both claimed was unarmed and to whom they gave immunity for his testimony against those agents.

The Justice Department, in giving the illegal alien drug smuggler immunity also sought to seal and succeeded in sealing evidence that many consider exculpatory against those agents. And as Casey Wian now reports after spending nearly two years behind bars these agents have to wait two more months to win their release.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

CASEY WIAN, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): Former Border Patrol agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean may have to wait another two months to be reunited with their families. After two years behind bars, mostly in solitary confinement, their clemency does not become effective until March 20th.

MONICA RAMOS, WIFE OF IGNACIO RAMOS: I think 60 days right now, we'll get through them. It's going to be very tough and to him, who's still sitting in segregation, he said 60 days is going to feel like a lifetime.

WIAN: Before dealing with this case, President Bush had commuted just nine prison sentences during his eight years in office. Former White House official "Scooter" Libby received a commutation before serving any time, others took as long as four months to be released. A spokeswoman for the Bureau of Prisons tells LOU DOBBS TONIGHT it's possible the men could be out sooner than 60 days. They could be eligible for good behavior credit and could be sent to a halfway house. Those decisions are up to the prison where the former agents are incarcerated.

Their attorneys are pursuing both those options. Still unclear why Mr. Bush waited so long to grant clemency to the agents, despite repeated demands for their release by more than 150 lawmakers and nearly half a million Americans. Last week, Congressman Walter Jones tried a different approach, appealing to the president's faith.

REP. WALTER JONES (R), NORTH CAROLINA: I said, Mr. President, you profess to be a man of faith. Please get down on your knees and ask God if you should commute or pardon these two men and listen to God and I believe he will tell you yes. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but I think God did quite frankly.

WIAN: Attorneys are continuing to pursue a Supreme Court reversal of their convictions or a full presidential pardon for Ramos and Compean.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

WIAN: And not everyone is applauding their impending release. At a news conference this week, Mexico's Deputy Secretary of Foreign Relations Carlos Rico (ph) said, quote, "this is a message of impunity, it's difficult to understand." He also acknowledged that Mexican officials had lobbied hard to prevent the former Border Patrol agent's release. Lou.

DOBBS: A message of impunity, what in the world could he have meant by that?

WIAN: I guess he's trying to get across the idea that if these agents were released from prison, it's going to give a license to other Border Patrol agents to shoot unarmed Mexican illegal aliens anytime they want to, which of course is a ridiculous notion. It's amazing that the Mexican government would criticize the Bush administration for finally releasing these two men who have served two years in prison. I think you'll remember the case of Border Patrol agent Luis Aguilera (ph) who was killed last year. The Mexican government released his alleged murderer on bail and we don't know where he is, Lou.

DOBBS: And they did so with impunity, I believe would be the word, according to the deputy foreign minister. But further at issue here is whether or not that drug smuggler was in point of fact armed or unarmed. Secondly, no question that he was a blatant and professional drug smuggler, third, the claims that he has been armed in previous drug runs.

Fourth, the fact that the evidence that was — that he was in point of fact a professional drug smuggler was sealed from the jury. This is a gross miscarriage of justice. And now we hear from the Mexican government what we have suspected and what we have been reporting on this broadcast for two years now, that Mexican government direct interference with the U.S. government is the reason these two men went to prison.

This is blatant. It is disgusting and for the government to act with such impunity and for their deputy foreign minister to come up with this position today is all the more galling.

WIAN: Yes, Lou, and it also reminds me — and I'm sure you'll remember back in 2006 when the Department of Homeland Security's inspector general was Richard Skinner (ph), some of his officials went over to meet with members of Congress to address their concerns about the prosecution of these two agents.

Those Department of Homeland Security officials told members of Congress in a private meeting that they had evidence that these two Border Patrol agents said that they were out to shoot some Mexicans. That later proved not to be true. And the inspector general had to apologize to those members of Congress. It now seems like it's likely we know where that notion came from, Lou.

DOBBS: Richard, to put it more directly, Richard Skinner (ph) lied through his teeth to United States congressmen. He, to go back to the word of the deputy foreign minister of Mexico, he lied with impunity and he carried out, in large measure, this gross miscarriage of justice. In fact, the Department of Homeland Security, with the behest of the Mexican government, it now appears, led the investigation against these two agents, which is highly, highly irregular, rather than the Justice Department, correct?

WIAN: Absolutely. You know, we asked Congressman Walter Jones of North Carolina, who's been involved in this case since the very beginning, trying to get these agents freed, what he thought of this admission by the Mexican foreign ministry, that they've been actively lobbying to keep these agents in jail, and he said, tell the Mexican government to keep the drug smugglers on their side of the border.

DOBBS: Casey, thank you very much. We're going to be following this story rigorously and, yes, relentlessly. Until this story is concluded with what we hope will be a very happy ending for these border patrol agents, their families and, frankly, this country. This is an extraordinary, an extraordinary development, the statements of the deputy foreign minister of Mexico, and the fact that it appears quite clear now that the Bush administration if his statements are true, that the Bush administration was nothing more than a witting tool of the Mexican government, a deplorable development. Thank you very much, Casey. We look forward to your reporting on this until the days and weeks ahead. Thank you.

IMO, Dobbs is the tool.

Why have they been in solitary? Or is that even true.

because the general population (which happen to be illegals) tried to beat the shit out of one of them. best as I can remember.

The general prison population often has a grudge on LE types who end up in prison.

Last edited:
Ramos was not put in solitary until AFTER the attack.
He's the one that didn't want to be segregated. I'm kind of surprised the prison granted him that wish.

Ramos was beaten up in February 2007 when he began serving his sentence at Yazoo City Federal Correctional Complex in Mississippi, after being recognized by inmates from a popular television program. At that time, he had been imprisoned for less than a week and had requested not to be segregated. He was transferred later to the Federal Correctional Institution in Phoenix, where he has remained segregated.
Washington Times - Backers of jailed border agents appeal to Bush

Gee, if I shot a shot a fleeing, unarmed person and then lied about it, you'd think I could get my sentence commuted too?
It was said they were framed by the prosecutor? "The case added fuel to the heated immigration debate in 2006 as conservatives and border security groups rallied behind the two former agents. CNN’s Lou Dobbs and other media pundits have demanded their release, as have some members of Congress from both parties." Why such an outcry of injustice especially if they tried to cover up the shooting? I dont get it.

It was said they were framed by the prosecutor? "The case added fuel to the heated immigration debate in 2006 as conservatives and border security groups rallied behind the two former agents. CNN’s Lou Dobbs and other media pundits have demanded their release, as have some members of Congress from both parties." Why such an outcry of injustice especially if they tried to cover up the shooting? I dont get it.
Because people hate Mexicans more than they hate bad cops.

SOME people. I don't particularly like illegal immigrants, and I've dealt with a shit-ton of them, many of whom were here for the express purposes of trafficking methamphetamine, cocaine, and marijuana, but...

Dirty cops undermine public confidence in our entire system of justice.

Our nation is one that is built upon a foundation of the rule of law (hence, we're a republic).

Undermining that foundation is detrimental to all of us, and causes grievous harm.

We can't tolerate dirty cops, regardless of their political motivations. We have to be able to trust that those who have the role of enforcing our roles are themselves law-abiding.

This is basic, fundamental stuff here.

Ravi, do you not understand the difference between hating Mexicans and hating illegal immigration?
(btw, up until recently, the largest group of illegals were WHITE EUROPEANS)

SOME people. I don't particularly like illegal immigrants, and I've dealt with a shit-ton of them, many of whom were here for the express purposes of trafficking methamphetamine, cocaine, and marijuana, but...

Dirty cops undermine public confidence in our entire system of justice.

Our nation is one that is built upon a foundation of the rule of law (hence, we're a republic).

Undermining that foundation is detrimental to all of us, and causes grievous harm.

We can't tolerate dirty cops, regardless of their political motivations. We have to be able to trust that those who have the role of enforcing our roles are themselves law-abiding.

This is basic, fundamental stuff here.
Yuh, I should have said some, but in reality I think it is most. I honestly can't think of another reason that so many would be willing to excuse the criminal behavior of cops.

Ravi, do you not understand the difference between hating Mexicans and hating illegal immigration?
(btw, up until recently, the largest group of illegals were WHITE EUROPEANS)
Sometimes. Other times I don't think there's a big difference. How often do we have cops shooting at Canadian border crossers, for instance? Or your white europeans?

Forum List

Back