Boy suspended for purse

It seems like the kid's just doing it for attention. A person can do any strange, attention-seeking thing and call it "expression." A black, sleek laptop bag would be better for a young man, according to my own limited sense of fashion.

Last edited:
The school called it right. The boy would have been disciplined in the same manner if say he was wearing a dress to school. He was warned though.

He was allowed to carry it in August, September and October and is suddenly suspended for carrying it in November?

I'm guessing that the problems over the bag escalated from August to September. I know that the article doesn't say he's being teased but something had to draw attention to the kid other than that large print that the school wants him not to bring it. I'm sure officals have enough daily crap on thier hands that they wouldn't need to create one.

Should he be allowed to carry it? In a perfect world,yes. But this isn't a perfect world and there's the kids saftey and law suits that have to be considered.

I wonder how many people are going to read the entire post before they comment.

Boy suspended for wearing a purse to school | FOX2now.com

Now is the chance for everyone who has me pegged as a homophobe that wants big government to interfere with personal choice to speak up and show everyone how stupid they are.

I think he should be able to keep the purse.

are you kidding.... you have never heard of man bags? Men have been carrying purses for a very long time.

purse.jpg

That ain't a man bag.

Fruitcake is asking to get the shit kicked out of him. Fairy.:cuckoo:

What was the name of that football player that knitted? Can't remember his name. Regardless if the bag is floral, striped, spotted, etc doesn't matter. If he wants to carry a bag and others choose to call it a purse..so be it. The problem is theirs..not this kid. And children his age picking on him eventually due to what HE chooses to do is THEIR problem...and the way they were raised.

If he were my kid, I'd ask a few hog riding buds to take him to school on the back of their bikes...and the bikers having a matching bag attached to their very broad shoulders. Or better yet...a scarf tied around their long haired heads that had the same print. Then let's see who laughs at him.

No it's not THEIR problem, it's the schools problem because they have to address any bullying and keep the kid safe. The easiest way to deal with that is to have the kid not carry the purse.

I also don't understand where people get the idea that just anything should be allowed. As adults that's not true. If you have an office job you don't show up for work in a bikini, you were a suit. If you work at McDonalds you were the company uniform. School is to prepare children for the adult world and the adult world has expectations of certain dress that is proper for the job. This is why schools public and private should have uniforms and dress codes. Work and school is not where you make self expression,it's where you make corporate expression. If you want to express yourself in a unusual way than I'm sure your boss would tell you to do it on your own time. This kid should do it on his own time outside of school.

As for the biker thing,not everybody has a group of bikers to protect their kid.

If it had been up to me, I would have left him alone, but a purse would be my only exception.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

P.S. Personally, I prefer a back pack because they are more spacious. :) :) :)

The school called it right. The boy would have been disciplined in the same manner if say he was wearing a dress to school. He was warned though.

He was allowed to carry it in August, September and October and is suddenly suspended for carrying it in November?
It likely was not a distraction back then. School officials probably realized that this "handbag" was somehow interfering with the school's learning environment. Any obstacle that poses a distraction to the school's learning environment needs to be removed.

Last edited:
It seems like the kid's just doing it for attention. A person can do any strange, attention-seeking thing and call it "expression." A black, sleek laptop bag would be better for a young man, according to my own limited sense of fashion.
Absolutely. The problem with him seeking this type of attention is that it becomes counterproductive in regards to the learning environment of the school. I agree that a black laptop bag would best suit his needs here and would not pose a distraction for the school.

And my coin purse?

The kid should be able to wear his hair long [if the girls can], and carry whatever purse or bag he likes [if the girls can].

This is why I like an official school uniform and official school bag.

Dress?
Whatever happened to his equal rights?

I wonder how many people are going to read the entire post before they comment.

Boy suspended for wearing a purse to school | FOX2now.com

Now is the chance for everyone who has me pegged as a homophobe that wants big government to interfere with personal choice to speak up and show everyone how stupid they are.

I think he should be able to keep the purse.

are you kidding.... you have never heard of man bags? Men have been carrying purses for a very long time.

That ain't a man bag.

What about a nice floral shirt and/or long dress to go with his bag[it's not really a purse]?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ_WG3d3GL8]Scott MacKenzie San Francisco 1967(original) - YouTube[/ame]

If this kid was going to school in CT or CA He might be OK because honestly, I've seen worse here. But When I think Kansas,I don't picture that kinda self expression being tolerated very well.

No one on either side is saying he was being bullied by students.

I can't imagine that something is not being said by the male students or no attention would have been drawn to the kid in the first place.

I knew a kid that looked like that, other than the purse, when I was in school. One day a new guy transferred in from another school and decided to use him to prove how tough he was, that was when he found out that Karate is not just a word in Japanese.

And my coin purse?

The kid should be able to wear his hair long [if the girls can], and carry whatever purse or bag he likes [if the girls can].

This is why I like an official school uniform and official school bag.

Dress?
Whatever happened to his equal rights?
I'm all for equal rights. However I also believe schools need to enforce rules in order to prevent "distractions" from interfering with a schools' ability to function.

He deserved to be suspended. Look how bad it clashes with the rest of his ensemble.

That is the first (semi) rational reason for the suspension in this thread.

Kid should sue the school for discrimination [and breach of his First Amendment rights?].

Garnett Kansas school is worried about one little ol' floral bag and fashion?

It should take a good look at that photo;

. The jeans on both the students in the photo are far too tight.
. The student on the left is a lot overweight...does the school have physical activity programs?
. The student on the right has ripped jeans.

Seems the school hasn't caught up with modern trends and legal rights.

Kid seems like he could be a gentle soul who just likes that bag.

Garnett Kansas school needs to get with the legal "unisex" program!

Fashion Unisex MEN Women Flowers Canvas Backpack School BAG Satchel Travel Tote | eBay

Fashion Unisex Men Women Flowers Canvas Backpack School Bag Satchel Travel Tote

#####

Simple really.
Sue.
School loses, boy wins, pay up!

Last edited:
No it's not THEIR problem, it's the schools problem because they have to address any bullying and keep the kid safe. The easiest way to deal with that is to have the kid not carry the purse.

I also don't understand where people get the idea that just anything should be allowed. As adults that's not true. If you have an office job you don't show up for work in a bikini, you were a suit. If you work at McDonalds you were the company uniform. School is to prepare children for the adult world and the adult world has expectations of certain dress that is proper for the job. This is why schools public and private should have uniforms and dress codes. Work and school is not where you make self expression,it's where you make corporate expression. If you want to express yourself in a unusual way than I'm sure your boss would tell you to do it on your own time. This kid should do it on his own time outside of school.

As for the biker thing,not everybody has a group of bikers to protect their kid.

The boy would be able to take his floral bag to work at McDonalds, and leave it in his locker of staff room.
Office worker, he could probably do the same thing.

Female office workers used to be able to wear a bikini to the office Christmas party and show off their newly acquired gym skills by doing tumbles on a mat along the floor. :)

If he were an 'eccentric lawyer' he could also probably be allowed to take the bag to the office, to court, or anywhere he liked.
I was once in a barrister's office, he had a skull atop his robe/coat stand.

This kid has legal rights, which the school should be protecting.

Casey, an overweight boy, was being bullied at school.
He complained to the teachers...60 or so times in writing.
The teachers and principal did nothing.
One day Casey fought back;

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isfn4OxCPQs]Victim Fights Back In NSW Sydney School | 'Casey' - YouTube[/ame]

The boy would be able to take his floral bag to work at McDonalds, and leave it in his locker of staff room.
Office worker, he could probably do the same thing.

Female office workers used to be able to wear a bikini to the office Christmas party and show off their newly acquired gym skills by doing tumbles on a mat along the floor. :)

If he were an 'eccentric lawyer' he could also probably be allowed to take the bag to the office, to court, or anywhere he liked.
I was once in a barrister's office, he had a skull atop his robe/coat stand.

This kid has legal rights, which the school should be protecting.

Casey, an overweight boy, was being bullied at school.
He complained to the teachers...60 or so times in writing.
The teachers and principal did nothing.
One day Casey fought back;

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isfn4OxCPQs]Victim Fights Back In NSW Sydney School | 'Casey' - YouTube[/ame]

What office do you work for? Bikini's at the office Christmas party would be considered highly inappropriate at any party I ever went to and the ladies would probably be asked to cover up or leave. Of course I also live in New England so nobody with an ounce of sense would dress in that skimpy an outfit in December anyway.

Does he? It's a public school I assume but even a public school has a dress code as directed by the city or state. This may come as a shock to you but in New Haven CT schools, not only is there a dress code but there is a uniform in all the PUBLIC Magnet schools. The reason? Safety. Here we have gangs and gang colors that were causing problems so in the interest of safety the school implemented a uniform and dress code. Kaki or navy pants and white,navy,light blue or hunter oxford shirts. No hoodies,no bandana's,hats/ball caps,doo rags,or writing on any clothes worn in school unless it's the school logo.The only exceptions I've seen is for religious reasons IE. a Yamaka and Mulsim head scarf;Again no print just plain solid colors. Anyone caught breaking the rules can be sent home. In my daughters school they actually have a clothes closet with donated or left clothing in it. If you wear something you are not supposed to, they will give you the choice of changing into clothes from the closet or go home with your parent. Now this boy is carrying a distraction and something that might incite violence toward him. In the interest of public safety the school has a right to request the issue article of clothing be removed.

Casey wasn't being bullied over an article of clothing, he was being bullied because of who he was. That's a huge difference.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back