Boycott Staples

I don't understand why the OP wants to boycott Staples.

Same reason, he wants to boycott Walmart. He doesn't give a damn that millions of jobs are created. He doesn't understand economics.

You sure?

10314512_759197790768755_3021198761074823891_n.jpg

Walmart has a good business model in my opinion. Here's an anecdotal example; this morning I needed a can of Tennis balls, I went to K-Mart and they don't open until 8am, so Instead of waiting 15 more minutes, I went to Walmart of bought my Tennis balls, groceries, water, beer, etc. . Yes it was 3miles down the road, but I was able to do all of the above and still get to the Tennis courts because Walmart stays up 24/7 and the price for their Tennis balls is cheaper than K-Mart's.
K-Mart on the other hand, makes it complex for one to purchase anything because of the steps when has to take to even get to the point to pay them. through the years (11) of shopping at the same Walmart, I have seen at least five people start from the bottom and then advance to managerial positions, one is even a store manager now.
I just don't see what's wrong with Walmart or any other big chain. Are the "mom & Pop" stores providing better prices to their customers and paying their workers any more than Walmart does?

Post Office Piles on Shift to Low-wage Economy With Staples Deal

The National Employment Law Project (NELP) has just come out with its latest report on the wage levels of jobs added as the nation has emerged from the Great Recession. As with NELP's previous reports, which continue to garner national attention, the news was pretty simple: we're only adding low wage jobs. Some 1.85 million more low-wage workers -- defined by under $13.33 an hour -- are employed by low-wage industries now then in 2008. About the same number, 1.93 million workers -- fewer workers are now employed in mid-wage and higher-wage industries.

The U.S. Postal Service has historically been one of those higher-wage industries, with average pay just under $25 an hour. For generations, postal jobs have been a ticket to the middle class, including as one of the few employers who hired African-Americans at good wages earlier in the 20th century. But the post office is accelerating a new strategy to increase sales and shed labor costs by opening up mini-post offices at Staples stores.

Staples is one of those low-wage employers, with Staples workers reporting that retail clerks average around $8.50 an hour. After piloting the mini-post offices in 82 Staples stores, the post office announced it would expand the program, prompting the American Postal Workers Union to organize more than 50 protest rallies outside Staples stores around the country.

Of course, Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe said that no postal jobs would be lost because of the Staples program and that the motivation was "growing our business." But the same Wall Street Journal article with Donohoe's statement revealed the real motivation. It quoted an internal postal service memo, which said that the Staples pilot program was to determine "if lower costs can be realized with retail partner labor instead of the labor traditionally associated with retail window at Post Offices." Oops!

It's time for Donahoe to go.

More destruction of the middle class and not a peep.

You got a link for this genius article, I mean a writer who has no clue for the uses of "then" or "than" can't be working at a very reputable place.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Same reason, he wants to boycott Walmart. He doesn't give a damn that millions of jobs are created. He doesn't understand economics.

You sure?

Walmart has a good business model in my opinion. Here's an anecdotal example; this morning I needed a can of Tennis balls, I went to K-Mart and they don't open until 8am, so Instead of waiting 15 more minutes, I went to Walmart of bought my Tennis balls, groceries, water, beer, etc. . Yes it was 3miles down the road, but I was able to do all of the above and still get to the Tennis courts because Walmart stays up 24/7 and the price for their Tennis balls is cheaper than K-Mart's.
K-Mart on the other hand, makes it complex for one to purchase anything because of the steps when has to take to even get to the point to pay them. through the years (11) of shopping at the same Walmart, I have seen at least five people start from the bottom and then advance to managerial positions, one is even a store manager now.
I just don't see what's wrong with Walmart or any other big chain. Are the "mom & Pop" stores providing better prices to their customers and paying their workers any more than Walmart does?

You're right about their "good business plan" - Get the taxpayer to pay their help and pocket the money. That's more than a "good business plan". Its downright brilliant and its certainly true that we tax payers don't pay the overhead for the mom and pop stores.

I believe in the US so I make it point to support local mom and pop stores for that very reason.

You sure?

You're right about their "good business plan" - Get the taxpayer to pay their help and pocket the money. That's more than a "good business plan". Its downright brilliant and its certainly true that we tax payers don't pay the overhead for the mom and pop stores.

I believe in the US so I make it point to support local mom and pop stores for that very reason.

You really are clueless, the mom and pop stores don't pay any more, so if we are subsidizing one, we subsidize both.

Because it's continued destruction of the middle class.

Which is also the reason why some (middle class) rw's will shop there.

Like I've said before, we now have an entire political party running on the promises to make you poor and keep you poor while trashing the US. Amazingly, there are some who are in favor of this.

They should create a new Olympic event for the leap you make to fault a business decision made by Staples to the Republican party. It sort of makes you out to be a fool. I'm embarrassed for you.

Last edited:
You sure?

I'm all for supporting 'small businesses' as well as supporting 'Made in America' products, but they they to help us want to support them by providing quality products, services, and competitive prices.

In other parts of my State and country it may be different, but I have seen and and known homeless people using the Walmart bathroom to clean them selves up so they can go to work. Walmart also allows people in Campers to park in their parking lot and stay there. I knew a guy who lived in a van who did just the above.

Post Office Piles on Shift to Low-wage Economy With Staples Deal

The National Employment Law Project (NELP) has just come out with its latest report on the wage levels of jobs added as the nation has emerged from the Great Recession. As with NELP's previous reports, which continue to garner national attention, the news was pretty simple: we're only adding low wage jobs. Some 1.85 million more low-wage workers -- defined by under $13.33 an hour -- are employed by low-wage industries now then in 2008. About the same number, 1.93 million workers -- fewer workers are now employed in mid-wage and higher-wage industries.

The U.S. Postal Service has historically been one of those higher-wage industries, with average pay just under $25 an hour. For generations, postal jobs have been a ticket to the middle class, including as one of the few employers who hired African-Americans at good wages earlier in the 20th century. But the post office is accelerating a new strategy to increase sales and shed labor costs by opening up mini-post offices at Staples stores.

Staples is one of those low-wage employers, with Staples workers reporting that retail clerks average around $8.50 an hour. After piloting the mini-post offices in 82 Staples stores, the post office announced it would expand the program, prompting the American Postal Workers Union to organize more than 50 protest rallies outside Staples stores around the country.

Of course, Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe said that no postal jobs would be lost because of the Staples program and that the motivation was "growing our business." But the same Wall Street Journal article with Donohoe's statement revealed the real motivation. It quoted an internal postal service memo, which said that the Staples pilot program was to determine "if lower costs can be realized with retail partner labor instead of the labor traditionally associated with retail window at Post Offices." Oops!

It's time for Donahoe to go.

More destruction of the middle class and not a peep.

You got a link for this genius article, I mean a writer who has no clue for the uses of "then" or "than" can't be working at a very reputable place.

I didn't realize that I hadn't put it in the OP. Fixed.
Post Office Piles on Shift to Low-wage Economy With Staples Deal*|*Richard Kirsch

Which is also the reason why some (middle class) rw's will shop there.

Like I've said before, we now have an entire political party running on the promises to make you poor and keep you poor while trashing the US. Amazingly, there are some who are in favor of this.

They should create a new Olympic event for the leap you make to fault a business decision made by Staples to the Republican party. It sort of makes you out to be a fool. I'm embarrassed for you.

Issa.

Blah blah blah class warfare nonsense.

If you are really concerned about the welfare of the middle class, then you should advocate to roll back taxes and keep the Fed from printing money/spurring inflation which is a tax on the middle class.

The total tax burden on the median family has more than doubled as a percent of income since the 1950s. They pay more in taxes than they do for Food, Housing, and Transportation.

You want to back that up with facts or just more pixelated methane? You must be on welfare to make a ridiculous statement like that. Or else the 1% and I SERIOUSLY doubt that.

As usual, you are seriously misinformed. Try reading once in awhile.

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfoundation.org/files/docs/687490cfad2433b124d834266ce04e4e.pdf

Blah blah blah class warfare nonsense.

If you are really concerned about the welfare of the middle class, then you should advocate to roll back taxes and keep the Fed from printing money/spurring inflation which is a tax on the middle class.

The total tax burden on the median family has more than doubled as a percent of income since the 1950s. They pay more in taxes than they do for Food, Housing, and Transportation.

You want to back that up with facts or just more pixelated methane? You must be on welfare to make a ridiculous statement like that. Or else the 1% and I SERIOUSLY doubt that.

As usual, you are seriously misinformed. Try reading once in awhile.

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfoundation.org/files/docs/687490cfad2433b124d834266ce04e4e.pdf

march of 2000.......um kinda old no?

Do you really think taxes have dropped since then?

As if.

From your article:

the post office announced it would expand the program,
Not staples, the Post office is behind this. It was the post office who authorized the program. The Unions are upset at the wrong people.

This has been happening since stores are allowed to sell stamps anything from a convenient stores to groceries. Many business are allowed to send and accept mail for the post office. You do know UPS accepts USPS mail and charges an arm and a leg, far over the USPS prices, don't you?

Tax Foundation Board of Directors

David P. Lewis (Chairman)
Vice President - Global Taxes;
Chief Tax Executive & Assistant Treasurer
Eli Lilly and Company

James W. Lintott (Treasurer)
Chairman
Sterling Foundation Management LLC

The Honorable Bill Archer
Senior Policy Analyst
PriceWaterhouseCoopers LLP

Douglas Holtz-Eakin
President
DHE Consulting, LLC

Sarah McGill
Senior Vice President, Tax Planning
PepsiCo, Inc.

Pamela F. Olson
Partner
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP

The Tax Foundation's President, Scott A. Hodge, participated in the 2011 American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) Annual Meeting, speaking on the "Corporate Taxes and International Competitiveness Panel" in front of the Tax and Fiscal Policy Task Force, and the Foundation's Vice President of Legal and State Projects, Joe Henchman, introduced the "Resolution Urging Congress to Cut the Federal Corporate Tax Rate" model policy at the same meeting.[2]
About ALEC
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.

Funding

The Tax Foundation is funded by private donations from members, corporate donations, and donations from charitable foundation such as the Koch Foundation, Earhart Foundation, etc.
Tax Foundation - SourceWatch

CaféAuLait;9043858 said:

From your article:

the post office announced it would expand the program,
Not staples, the Post office is behind this. It was the post office who authorized the program. The Unions are upset at the wrong people.

This has been happening since stores are allowed to sell stamps anything from a convenient stores to groceries. Many business are allowed to send and accept mail for the post office. You do know UPS accepts USPS mail and charges an arm and a leg, far over the USPS prices, don't you?

Donahoe and Issa. Do you know who they are?

Forum List

Back