bragging rights

emptystep

VIP Member
Jul 17, 2012
I got reminded of this place while making another post and I just have to brag this being near where I grew up. Spent a few lazy days, it's a full day float, down this one.

bilde

Arkansas’ Buffalo National River is in the travel spotlight after National Geographic recently named the park to its top 10 list of underappreciated parks.

The park is listed No. 2 on National Geographic’s travel website, park officials announced.

“Buffalo National River is certainly one of the most beautiful riverways in the United States, maybe even the world,” park superintendent Kevin Cheri said. “But, it would be a mistake to not recognize the value that the local culture and history add to the visitor experience. There truly is something for everyone to enjoy and learn from at Buffalo River.”

National Geographic’s website says the park “preserves some of the finest scenery in the central United States, as well as one of the country’s best float streams.”

The website points out that the Buffalo National River was designated the nation’s first national river in 1972, after years of controversy between those who wanted to protect its beauty and those who wanted to dam the river and create a reservoir.

The Buffalo National River has three official wilderness areas, and the website mentions that all along the river are gravel bars for primitive camping, swimming holes and hiking trails.

On the upper Buffalo is Steel Creek, where sandstone cliffs rise 400 feet from the water’s edge. On the lower river is the ghost town of Rush, where zinc used to be mined.

The No. 1 underappreciated park on National Geographic’s list is Great Basin National Park in Nevada. The site also lists parks in Florida, Colorado, Alaska, South Dakota, California, Louisiana, New Mexico and Arizona.

Buffalo National River park officials reported a few weeks ago that national parks in Arkansas brought in 2.8 million visitors, who spent $151,000 in communities surrounding those parks. That spending supported 2,515 jobs across the state, according to the park’s news release.

Last year, Buffalo National River had more than 1 million visitors, according to its annual park visitation report. In 2010, the park had 1.5 million visitors.

However, the park is facing cutbacks this year. Park officials stated in a news release earlier this month that the condition of the park’s facilities are taking a hit as a result of declining budgets.

Even without sequestration, the park has seen a diminishing number of staff. As of March 1, the park had 20 vacant positions, and a hiring freeze is in place for all seasonal positions, which have been the backbone of spring and summer operations, park officials said.

Some of the changes visitors may see are fewer trash cans, and park officials hope visitors will get into the habit of taking their trash and recyclables home. Routine cleaning and stocking of restrooms will continue, but at a longer interval. Visitors may want to bring their own toilet paper.

This year there will be no trail crew, which over time will result in an increasing number of tree-falls and unaddressed erosion problems. Instead, the park is working with volunteer groups to target specific trail segments for repair work. Park roads also will not receive the level of grading received in the past.

Another change is the educational program Day by the Buffalo, for fourth and fifth graders, was reduced by half last year due to staff reductions. The park is taking reservations for that program but the numbers will have to be cut further, according to the release.

Visitors are encouraged to check the park’s website at Buffalo National River - Buffalo National River or call a contact station before arriving to make sure their destination will be open. A closure/reduced services chart can be found on the website under “Plan Your Visit” and “Things To Know Before You Come.”

http://www.change.org/petitions/kee...al-river-the-buffalo-river-clean-and-pristine
QlEBIeBvPyvImrL-556x313-noPad.jpg

Nature & Science - Buffalo National River
Nature & Science

Pure, clear, water flowing down a 132-mile meandering course; pouring over rapids; strained through gravel bars; drifting through long pools while caressing tree-covered banks is Buffalo National River.

The valley bottom has open grassy meadows with grazing elk. The shores are tall multicolored bluffs steep, wooded hills filling the countryside.

Place yourself in a canoe drifting down the river surrounded by an occasional turtle sunning on a log, a snake in the water as it explores the depths of the river, bass breaking the water's surface and herons stalking the river’s edge. You've experienced many of the facets of Buffalo National River.

Its ancient current gives life to more than 300 species of fish, insects, freshwater mussels, and aquatic plants. In addition, on land there are many more natural wonders to behold: caves with hidden formations and underground waterways, tall cliffs creating long waterfalls, and old pioneer farmsteads that providing forage for wildlife such as elk, deer, and turkey.

I just hope if(when) they sell her she gets to be an amusement park or something. It would be a shame for them to build that damn they have been wanting for so long.

I will not put a link right here because it is probably against the rules but there is a petition to preserve the river. If anyone did happen to find the link I would very much appreciate a signature. She would appreciate it too.

I will not put a link right here because it is probably against the rules but there is a petition to preserve the river. If anyone did happen to find the link I would very much appreciate a signature. She would appreciate it too.

I don't think that would be violating any rules. People were supplying links to secession petitions all the time.

^^^ He said so! The link is the link above the picture of the river going through the trees. :D

Forum List

Back