Breaking: David Bowie Dead

I remember him in The Man Who Fell to Earth...

The Latest: Cameron says Bowie's death is a 'huge loss'
11 Jan.`16 — The latest on the death of iconic singer David Bowie. All times local.
08:10 a.m.

David Cameron says Bowie's death is "a huge loss." The British Prime Minister tweeted Monday that he had grown up listening to and watching Bowie. He called the singer a "master of reinvention" and a pop genius who kept on getting it right. Bowie's representative Steve Martin says the singer died "peacefully" Sunday surrounded by family after an 18-month battle with cancer.

The Latest: Kanye West hails Bowie as important inspiration

Bowie had the ability to reinvent himself better than any other performer I have seen

Gracie wrote: I just heard it on the tv news. I will try to find an article.

The BBC has a number of articles on his death.

To be honest I never knew he was not well. It's obviously saddening and shocking.

A completely unique artist. One must say that from 'Space Oddity' in 1969 through until 'Heroes' album in 1977, all those albums inbetween 1969-1977, all unique form of original genius....a word that is greatly misused, but here is entirely appropriate. That he during those years, each time re-invented himself and was able to write the next album in a different musical genre to the previous album, shows his unique original talent.

Unlike most, he didn't copy other artists.

That he pushed boundaries in such a daring - for those times - way and carried on pushing them, amazing man. An original thinker, before this there wasn't an artist like this, doing this and living through his created characters.

After 1978, his stuff becomes far too Pop Music for me.

1969-1977, if someone can't appreciate the actual genuine Art within that timeframe, then they don't understand Art.

Media captionMusic journalist Mark Radcliffe explores some of Bowie's most popular alter egos
Singer David Bowie has died at the age of 69 from cancer.

His son, film director Duncan Jones, confirmed the news and a statement was issued on his social media accounts.

"David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18-month battle with cancer," it said, asking for privacy for his family.

Tributes have been paid to Bowie, one of the most influential musicians of his era, from around the world.

Forum List

Back