Breaking: David Bowie Dead

Yes, I mean, the hair....do we know what's even going on there?! :confused-84: :eek-52: :crybaby::confused-84:

yes - it is called a "hook". Throughout the 80's these canned pop bands would dress themselves in every unconventional way you can imagine to get on MTV. It was the decade of flash/super heavy makeup and ridiculous hair.
Did I mention I loathe the 80's?

Yes, I mean, the hair....do we know what's even going on there?! :confused-84: :eek-52: :crybaby::confused-84:

yes - it is called a "hook". Throughout the 80's these canned pop bands would dress themselves in every unconventional way you can imagine to get on MTV. It was the decade of flash/super heavy makeup and ridiculous hair.
Did I mention I loathe the 80's?

I bet he's bald now.

There was good music I think from the 1980's, none of it mainstream though....two examples being Sonic Youth and Cocteau Twins (everything up until the awful "Heaven Or Las Vegas") ....also my absolute favourite band The Fall, who in 2015 released their 31st album.

Mark E. Smith released an album in 2007 with Mouse On Mars - German band.

The collaboration under the name of Von Südenfed 'Tromatic Reflexxions', they need to release a second album as that was very excellent.

Guys, no offense but why is Flock of Seagulls even being mentioned in the same thread with this legendary artist? I mean... it's almost insulting. They were basically a one-hit wonder.

Sorry, TD.

I havent done it in a long time. I'm going to dance. I loved him. Yes I admit it. I loved the 80s You guys can beat me up tomorrow.
I used to watch MTV and other video channels all night long on Friday night when I was in school. I mean all night long. 6 am I finally went to bed. David Bowie, Madonna, Huey Lewis And The News, The Stones. "I Want My MTV!!"
That was when music was king.

Weird coincidence......"The Man Who Fell to Earth" was on the telli this weekend. I watched it for about 20 mins and had to change it. His movies are so strange.

You better not watch "Labyrinth" then!

Or ever "Christiane F.", a German film from 1981, with 12 year-old-16 year-old kids shooting up Smack.

Bowie of course had earlier moved to Berlin, to get off Cocaine....so he moved to Berlin, which at that time was literally the Smack Capital of Europa.

Guys, no offense but why is Flock of Seagulls even being mentioned in the same thread with this legendary artist? I mean... it's almost insulting. They were basically a one-hit wonder.

It is in reference to when Bowie went pop in the 80's. It happened, unfortunate, but it happened.
Bowie is a legend. No one could possibly argue that. But he is a legend because of music he made 30-40 years ago. You can't celebrate the music of Bowie without regretting his "going pop" in the 80's-2000's. You have to feel a loss for what might have been if he stayed true to his art.

Sorry, TD.

I havent done it in a long time. I'm going to dance. I loved him. Yes I admit it. I loved the 80s You guys can beat me up tomorrow.
I used to watch MTV and other video channels all night long on Friday night when I was in school. I mean all night long. 6 am I finally went to bed. David Bowie, Madonna, Huey Lewis And The News, The Stones. "I Want My MTV!!"
That was when music was king.

I hope you are joking.
The 80's was about glitz and plastic...all canned music designed for pre-teens...ugh I shudder even thinking about how MTV set music back for decades.

I love the hidden gems sprinkled all throughout his career in those years that seem less familiar to even many fans, like this great cover he did back in 1993 of "Nite Flights".

Free spirits have lost a hero in Bowie, one of the few innovators in pop music history.

Weird coincidence......"The Man Who Fell to Earth" was on the telli this weekend. I watched it for about 20 mins and had to change it. His movies are so strange.

Or ever "Christiane F.", a German film from 1981, with 12 year-old-16 year-old kids shooting up Smack.

Bowie of course had earlier moved to Berlin, to get off Cocaine....so he moved to Berlin, which at that time was literally the Smack Capital of Europa.
I had problems sitting through "The Hunger" as well.

Labyrinth was decent.
Bowie was a musical artist and fashion icon.
His movies weren't for everyone.

I had problems sitting through "The Hunger" as well.

Labyrinth was decent.
Bowie was a musical artist and fashion icon.
His movies weren't for everyone.

Those leggings, once seen, never forgotten!

Bowie was yes, a fashion icon....in fact a Cultural Icon and completely unique, there simply can never be another David Bowie....ever.

His films yes, an acquired taste, but always interesting and often unsettling.

It is in reference to when Bowie went pop in the 80's. It happened, unfortunate, but it happened.
Bowie is a legend. No one could possibly argue that. But he is a legend because of music he made 30-40 years ago. You can't celebrate the music of Bowie without regretting his "going pop" in the 80's-2000's. You have to feel a loss for what might have been if he stayed true to his art.

I think he DID stay true to his art. MOST of the "glam rock" you witnessed in the 80s were inspired by him. His greatest commercial success came in the 80s, it was his era and he fucking owned it. Flock of Seagulls couldn't have shined his shoes.

I think he DID stay true to his art. MOST of the "glam rock" you witnessed in the 80s were inspired by him. His greatest commercial success came in the 80s, it was his era and he fucking owned it. Flock of Seagulls couldn't have shined his shoes.
Yup....he led the way for 80s rock.

Of course (Seaguls couldn't shine Bowies shoes)...but, like you say. "commercial success". It was the decade in which a LOT of musical genius's went GLAM to make the cash. He sold out. It is just true.
Think of Journey (not to compare with Bowie)...few even know that Journey was a pretty serious hard rock band before going glib...same with Van Halen. Van Halen was heavy metal before the 80's. REO Speedwagon was even harder. their early pre 80's albums were very heavy. Too many bands in that decade sold out for the commercial success. It was a lost decade as far as music goes for sure.

Forum List

Back