Breaking: David Bowie Dead

Stupid lousy cancer.

I don't have the words to express how much I hate, hate, hate cancer.

That's what killed him.

He was a great musician and singer. He helped change music. In the 70s when there was such a void from the Beatles breaking up, Bowie gave us his Ziggy Stardust and we all just loved it.

I hope his wife and children can get through this horrible time.

I know the whole world is in mourning. I cried when I first learned about it. I'm still crying.

To all fellow Bowie fans, enjoy:

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust - YouTube

David Bowie - Rebel Rebel - YouTube

This ranks right up there of how I felt when Elvis, and John Lennon died. :cry:

Or even earlier, when say Buddy Holly and Patsy Cline died.

Good one...Buddy Holly was another genre changer, and another example of a true artist that refused to change his music to fit the record execs demands for "more sellable" music.

Guys, no offense but why is Flock of Seagulls even being mentioned in the same thread with this legendary artist? I mean... it's almost insulting. They were basically a one-hit wonder.

It is in reference to when Bowie went pop in the 80's. It happened, unfortunate, but it happened.
Bowie is a legend. No one could possibly argue that. But he is a legend because of music he made 30-40 years ago. You can't celebrate the music of Bowie without regretting his "going pop" in the 80's-2000's. You have to feel a loss for what might have been if he stayed true to his art.

I think he DID stay true to his art. MOST of the "glam rock" you witnessed in the 80s were inspired by him. His greatest commercial success came in the 80s, it was his era and he fucking owned it. Flock of Seagulls couldn't have shined his shoes.

Of course (Seaguls couldn't shine Bowies shoes)...but, like you say. "commercial success". It was the decade in which a LOT of musical genius's went GLAM to make the cash. He sold out. It is just true.
Think of Journey (not to compare with Bowie)...few even know that Journey was a pretty serious hard rock band before going glib...same with Van Halen. Van Halen was heavy metal before the 80's. REO Speedwagon was even harder. their early pre 80's albums were very heavy. Too many bands in that decade sold out for the commercial success. It was a lost decade as far as music goes for sure.

Bullshit. You are a music snob who has no appreciation for anything other than your preferred taste in music which doesn't include popular music, apparently.

It really frosts my cookies when someone says "they sold out" because... wtf does that even mean? The measure of an artist's success is commercial appeal... how much the general public accepts what you've created.

When Bob Dylan recently did some TV commercial, people said... Oh, he's sold out! Fuck that... he sold out in 1966 when he picked up an electric guitar and the folkies had a conniption fit and called him "Judas!"

As for Bowie, he took his art to a new level in the 80s and gave us some of the most iconic music of our time. I appreciate his early work but anyone with any brains understands that he couldn't keep doing that forever. Artists are ever-changing and evolving. Bowie literally DEFINED the era!

I understand if you liked his early work better... I feel that way about Elton John. But to say his work in the 80s was "regrettable" is unfair and shows a complete lack of appreciation for his genius as an artist.

First I heard of it. Shocked me. Did not know he had cancer...

Guys, no offense but why is Flock of Seagulls even being mentioned in the same thread with this legendary artist? I mean... it's almost insulting. They were basically a one-hit wonder.

It is in reference to when Bowie went pop in the 80's. It happened, unfortunate, but it happened.
Bowie is a legend. No one could possibly argue that. But he is a legend because of music he made 30-40 years ago. You can't celebrate the music of Bowie without regretting his "going pop" in the 80's-2000's. You have to feel a loss for what might have been if he stayed true to his art.

I think he DID stay true to his art. MOST of the "glam rock" you witnessed in the 80s were inspired by him. His greatest commercial success came in the 80s, it was his era and he fucking owned it. Flock of Seagulls couldn't have shined his shoes.

Of course (Seaguls couldn't shine Bowies shoes)...but, like you say. "commercial success". It was the decade in which a LOT of musical genius's went GLAM to make the cash. He sold out. It is just true.
Think of Journey (not to compare with Bowie)...few even know that Journey was a pretty serious hard rock band before going glib...same with Van Halen. Van Halen was heavy metal before the 80's. REO Speedwagon was even harder. their early pre 80's albums were very heavy. Too many bands in that decade sold out for the commercial success. It was a lost decade as far as music goes for sure.

Bullshit. You are a music snob who has no appreciation for anything other than your preferred taste in music which doesn't include popular music, apparently.

It really frosts my cookies when someone says "they sold out" because... wtf does that even mean? The measure of an artist's success is commercial appeal... how much the general public accepts what you've created.

When Bob Dylan recently did some TV commercial, people said... Oh, he's sold out! Fuck that... he sold out in 1966 when he picked up an electric guitar and the folkies had a conniption fit and called him "Judas!"

As for Bowie, he took his art to a new level in the 80s and gave us some of the most iconic music of our time. I appreciate his early work but anyone with any brains understands that he couldn't keep doing that forever. Artists are ever-changing and evolving. Bowie literally DEFINED the era!

I understand if you liked his early work better... I feel that way about Elton John. But to say his work in the 80s was "regrettable" is unfair and shows a complete lack of appreciation for his genius as an artist.

In the interest of his death, I will not reply to this.
Sad statement.

Sad to hear...he was a great artist and a cultural icon

The thing with Bowie was he managed to stay relevant. He could have spent the last 30 years giving greatest hits concerts to baby boomers

This sadden me greatly. I've been a huge fan of his for many years now. :(

Life on Mars was one of the first pieces I ever learned on the piano.

I cant do what you guys do.

His for me an I'm on a full blown meltdown here

Cat people

Lyrics are to die for

I so understand. I started crying when I saw the headline about an hour ago.

I'm still crying.

I can't find the words to express how much I so hate cancer. I wish it could be eradicated from the face of this earth.

It's taken another great soul way too early. This world will be a very sad place without him.

He had just released a new album. I'm going to go out and buy it today.

RIP Mr. Jones. You are loved the world over and will be missed for a very, very long time.

This ranks right up there of how I felt when Elvis, and John Lennon died. :cry:

Or even earlier, when say Buddy Holly and Patsy Cline died.

Good one...Buddy Holly was another genre changer, and another example of a true artist that refused to change his music to fit the record execs demands for "more sellable" music.

Yes I think Buddy Holly was unique also. He was certainly going his own way, introducing often intricate string arrangements and definitely not playing to the Teen Audience, who basically just wanted to scream and wet their knickers at Pretty Boy Singers.

Seriously darling, I don't think this is the right time to get into arguments about stuff, not in this thread. We just need to be respectful and you know chill.

David Bowie 69, has passed away after 18 month battle with cancer.

Legendary Artist David Bowie Dies at 69
One of those reminders we are all getting older. And to those of us who have survived cancer just how lucky we are.

So true.

The day after tomorrow I will be cancer free for 5 years. Which means I got to do what Mr. Jones couldn't.

I'll be able to say I'm cured from cancer on Wednesday January 13th.

It's not fair. He should have been able to beat it too.

Here's one of his songs that brings back so many fantastic memories of such wonderful times. It's one of my favorites from him.

David Bowie Young Americans - YouTube

One of those reminders we are all getting older. And to those of us who have survived cancer just how lucky we are.

So true.

The day after tomorrow I will be cancer free for 5 years. Which means I got to do what Mr. Jones couldn't.

Here's one of his songs that brings back so many fantastic memories of such wonderful times. It's one of my favorites from him.

Which is wonderful for you and your family. Stay strong!

Seriously darling, I don't think this is the right time to get into arguments about stuff, not in this thread. We just need to be respectful and you know chill.

I'm not arguing, just expressing my opinion. I wasn't the one who brought up Flock of Seagulls or started bashing Bowie for his 80s era music. Sorry if I seem a little sensitive about it, I am a passionate person when it comes to art appreciation. I loved this man's music and his artistic genius. The world has lost a treasure.

So true.

Thank you so much.

I'm not going to be sober on Wednesday. Thursday I'll be nursing a hangover.

I got to face one of my worst fears and won.

Something Mr. Jones wasn't able to do. It's not fair. He should still be with us giving us wonderful music.

Here's another one from my favorite album he put out. The summer of 1975. What a time!

So true.

Thank you so much.

Something Mr. Jones wasn't able to do. It's not fair. He should still be with us giving us wonderful music.

Here's another one from my favorite album he put out. The summer of 1975. What a time!

Yes you get drunk on Wednesday, you have much to celebrate :smiliehug:

I heard that Bowie's son Duncan, his wife in remission from breast cancer, so we pray she'll stay in remission, like we must pray for all brave cancer victims, it's an evil and cruel disease.

That is a good album, I think anything from 1969-1977 is pretty much untouchable.

So true.

Thank you so much.

Yes you get drunk on Wednesday, you have much to celebrate :smiliehug:

I heard that Bowie's son Duncan, his wife in remission from breast cancer, so we pray she'll stay in remission, like we must pray for all brave cancer victims, it's an evil and cruel disease.

That is a good album, I think anything from 1969-1977 is pretty much untouchable.

I had breast cancer. Carcinoma. Which is a bad form of cancer. It grows fast, moves to other organs fast and kills fast. The last person I knew who was diagnosed with carcinoma died in 6 months.

I was lucky, It was found early before it could move to other organs and kill me.

I am lucky, we now have hormone blockers that now make it possible for people like me whose own body hormones are the food for the cancer to grow to actually beat that very deadly disease. Before the hormone blockers, women died by the millions. Four of them were my relatives.

I got to do what 4 of my relatives never had a chance to do. The cancer was found, they had full mastectomies. It came back and killed them.

I got to beat that disgusting and evil disease.

I wish Mr. Jones had the same chance.

Yes I think his best music was written and recorded in that same time span.

I love all his music. All of it puts a big smile on my face but the Young Americans album and all the songs from it, are my favorite. It came out in a very special time in my life. We played that tape/album over and over and over. I still have my original copy from 1975 and I also have it on CD disk. It's one that I replaced in CD form in the 80s quickly when CDs came out.

He influenced many musicians after him and this world will be a much more empty place without his great voice.

Sorry, TD.

I havent done it in a long time. I'm going to dance. I loved him. Yes I admit it. I loved the 80s You guys can beat me up tomorrow.
I used to watch MTV and other video channels all night long on Friday night when I was in school. I mean all night long. 6 am I finally went to bed. David Bowie, Madonna, Huey Lewis And The News, The Stones. "I Want My MTV!!"
That was when music was king.

I hope you are joking.
The 80's was about glitz and plastic...all canned music designed for pre-teens...ugh I shudder even thinking about how MTV set music back for decades.
80s music puts most of the Katie Perry era to shame. Yes there was alot of garbage, but that’s always the case. Right now you can market albums and not even have a band. Everything is done in the studio with computers.

Forum List

Back