Breaking: David Bowie Dead

To be honest I never knew he was not well. It's obviously saddening and shocking.

A completely unique artist. One must say that from 'Space Oddity' in 1969 through until 'Heroes' album in 1977, all those albums inbetween 1969-1977, all unique form of original genius....a word that is greatly misused, but here is entirely appropriate. That he during those years, each time re-invented himself and was able to write the next album in a different musical genre to the previous album, shows his unique original talent.

Unlike most, he didn't copy other artists.

That he pushed boundaries in such a daring - for those times - way and carried on pushing them, amazing man. An original thinker, before this there wasn't an artist like this, doing this and living through his created characters.

After 1978, his stuff becomes far too Pop Music for me.

1969-1977, if someone can't appreciate the actual genuine Art within that timeframe, then they don't understand Art.

Couldn't say it better myself...the 80's was a sad time for music across genres. So many artist sold out to the quick-cash of canned pop music and MTV. Sadly Bowie was one of them. His earlier work was masterful, truly one of the greats, even as unorthodox as it was.

RIP

Did he just celebrate a birthday recently?

Yes, it was his 69th birthday on January 8th, he also released his new album 'Blackstar' the same day. This album is described as "Experimental Jazz and Art", so at the end, he'd un-Pop Music again, and seems to have returned to his original experimental ways.

Andy Gill of The Independent regards the record as "the most extreme album of his [Bowie's] entire career", stating that "Blackstar is as far as he's strayed from pop."

Naturally, this has me very interested in hearing it. I hate Pop Music. I like any music that makes me think.

Man, another kick in the gut.

Rest in peace, Ziggy Stardust.

Man, that band in the sky just keeps getting better. I'd guess he and Lou are having a martini right about now.

And with Mick Ronson.

Yes, Mick Ronson died a long time ago, he was still quite young, I think cancer got him also.
Mick did so much great work, but for me his ticket to Heaven was Ian Hunter's "Once Bitten Twice Shy", and those GLORIOUS power chords.

One of my top five favorite songs EVVAH.

Man, another kick in the gut.

Rest in peace, Ziggy Stardust.

Man, that band in the sky just keeps getting better. I'd guess he and Lou are having a martini right about now.

And with Mick Ronson.

Yes, Mick Ronson died a long time ago, he was still quite young, I think cancer got him also.
Mick did so much great work, but for me his ticket to Heaven was Ian Hunter's "Once Bitten Twice Shy", and those GLORIOUS power chords.

One of my top five favorite songs EVAH.

It seems strange that American's would get something like Mott The Hoople and also American's got Jethro Tull.

Strange to a European, then again, it seems incredible the Monty Python thing, which you'd think Americans just wouldn't be able to get, yet do.

To be honest I never knew he was not well. It's obviously saddening and shocking.

A completely unique artist. One must say that from 'Space Oddity' in 1969 through until 'Heroes' album in 1977, all those albums inbetween 1969-1977, all unique form of original genius....a word that is greatly misused, but here is entirely appropriate. That he during those years, each time re-invented himself and was able to write the next album in a different musical genre to the previous album, shows his unique original talent.

That he pushed boundaries in such a daring - for those times - way and carried on pushing them, amazing man. An original thinker, before this there wasn't an artist like this, doing this and living through his created characters.

1969-1977, if someone can't appreciate the actual genuine Art within that timeframe, then they don't understand Art.

Couldn't say it better myself...the 80's was a sad time for music across genres. So many artist sold out to the quick-cash of canned pop music and MTV. Sadly Bowie was one of them. His earlier work was masterful, truly one of the greats, even as unorthodox as it was.

RIP

Agreed yes. Although I wasn't born until 1990!

But this is what we like, unorthodox approaches to Art. Vanilla approach, who cares about that sort of stuff, it's just Airhead stuff and most of it sounds the same, because they're all copying each other.

RIP

I liked the second British Invasion that lunched what was the 'New Wave' sound. The Clash, Flock of Seagulls, INXS, The Knack etc

-Geaux

To those who are sort of bashing on him for his "pop era" during the 80s... Not how I saw it at all. He reinvented his brilliant creative genius for the times and turned a whole new generation on to his art. I always saw him as the Andy Warhol of rock music. Yes, the music he did in the 80s was canned commercial pop but if you listen to the lyrics they are poetic genius that personified David Bowie. Nothing to be ashamed of there, it takes a master craftsman to pull of what he did.

One of my favorite artists of all time.

RIP

I liked the second British Invasion that lunched what was the 'New Wave' sound. The Clash, Flock of Seagulls, INXS, The Knack etc

-Geaux

Flock of Seagulls, are they the ones with the frontman with that 'um hairdo?

RIP

-Geaux

UOTE="Geaux4it, post: 13234164, member: 19543"]

RIP

-Geaux

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I mean, the hair....do we know what's even going on there?! :confused-84: :eek-52: :crybaby::confused-84:

Forum List

Back