🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

BREAKING: FDA to ban trans-fats

They ensure nothing. Why do they allow tobacco?

Nobody said they do it well, dumbass. I've been saying throughout the thread that they don't do enough. Besides which, SCOTUS ruled they don't have the authority.

Go learn to read. All you have here is a biased sample fallacy; you want them to ban tobacco, I'm sure you can write to them at the same address they have up for this. But all you're doing is trying to throw the baby out with the bath water. Come back when you can think of a rational argument on the topic, K?

I don't want them to ban tobacco, I don't think they need to ban trans fats or GMO's, or milk, nitrates, fluoride, aluminum and so on.

I educate myself on food and what is healthy or not. Then I follow it, once in awhile I'll eat something I shouldn't. But that is my choice, I don't need big government to make my decisions for me. I'm intelligent, unlike you, who needs government make decisions for you.

So it's all about Numero Uno, right?

Typical.

Once again for the terminally slow -- there's nothing here relating to what you can eat. Oh wait, you're "intelligent", so you know that.
How do you like them banning labels that tell us there are GMOs in there then?

Last edited:
Also to those trying to defend government overreach by saying that it isn't a ban, it sure sounds like a ban to me:

Condemning artificial trans fats as a threat to public health, the FDA announced Thursday it will require the food industry to phase them out.
Trans fat ban: FDA requiring food industry to phase out trans fats | abc7chicago.com

The same article comforts us though that it is the former Monsanto VP and chief lobbyist who is looking out for our health and welfare by issuing the restriction on trans fat.

That says nobody will be allowed to sell the stuff as food to anybody.

And I'll make a prediction. When the number of heart disease and cancer cases doesn't go down, and they realize that trans fat, while there is little to commend it, was not the problem after all, they'll go after something else. And then something else. And then something else. It is not beyond the realm of reasonable imgination that it won't be long before they'll start dictating what school children are required to be served for lunches--wait, they already do that.

The addiction to power is rarely ever curbed by government once it has been unleashed.

Last edited:
Also to those trying to defend government overreach by saying that it isn't a ban, it sure sounds like a ban to me:

Condemning artificial trans fats as a threat to public health, the FDA announced Thursday it will require the food industry to phase them out.
Trans fat ban: FDA requiring food industry to phase out trans fats | abc7chicago.com

The same article comforts us though that it is the former Monsanto VP and chief lobbyist who is looking out for our health and welfare by issuing the restriction on trans fat.

That says nobody will be allowed to sell the stuff as food to anybody.

Actually no that's not what it says.

>> How can the government get rid of them? The FDA said it has made a preliminary determination that trans fats no longer fall in the agency's "generally recognized as safe" category, which covers thousands of additives that manufacturers can add to foods without FDA review. Once trans fats are off the list, anyone who wants to use them would have to petition the agency for a regulation allowing it, and that would likely not be approved. <<

The food companies inserting these chemicals would need to prove they are not harmful to human health. If they can do that, they get approved. So what you want is for this chemical conspiracy to be given a nod and a wink and nobody needs to prove squat. What you want is another aspartame.

Your own link.

The presence of these chemicals on the GRAS list was originally done by the FDA itself. What it now proposes to do is re-evaluate its own list.
The FDA can't update its own list??

And I'll make a prediction. When the number of heart disease and cancer cases doesn't go down, and they realize that trans fat, while there is little to commend it, was not the problem after all, they'll go after something else. And then something else. And then something else. It is not beyond the realm of reasonable imgination that it won't be long before they'll start dictating what school children are required to be served for lunches--wait, they already do that.

The addiction to power is rarely ever curbed by government once it has been unleashed.

Yawn... I'm sure it's entertaining living in the pages of Doctor Doom Meets Ayn Rand. If only centuries of food safety oversight had had those comic books. Imagine where we'd be by now. :eek:

Last edited:
How do trans fats affect my health?
Trans fats raise your bad (LDL) cholesterol levels and lower your good (HDL) cholesterol levels. Eating trans fats increases your risk of developing heart disease and stroke. It&#8217;s also associated with a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

Why did trans fats become so popular if they have such bad health effects?
Before 1990, very little was known about how trans fat can harm your health. In the 1990s, research began identifying the adverse health effects of trans fats.

How much trans fat can I eat in a day?
The American Heart Association recommends limiting the amount of trans fats you eat to less than 1 percent of your total daily calories. That means if you need 2,000 calories a day, no more than 20 of those calories should come from trans fats. That&#8217;s less than 2 grams of trans fats a day. Given the amount of naturally occurring trans fats you probably eat every day, this leaves virtually no room at all for industrially manufactured trans fats.

For years, only true diet detectives knew whether a particular food contained trans fat. This phantom fat&#8212;the worst fat for the heart, blood vessels, and rest of the body&#8212;was found in thousands of foods. But only people who knew that the code phrases &#8220;partially hydrogenated vegetable oil&#8221; and &#8220;vegetable shortening&#8221; meant that trans fat lurked in the food were aware of its presence. Now, at least for foods with food labels, anyone can tell. Since January 1, 2006, the U.S. has required that trans fat must be listed on food labels along with other bad fats (saturated fats) and good ones (unsaturated fats).

... Of course, many foods don&#8217;t come with labels, such as foods sold in bakeries, cafeterias, schools, and restaurants. Because consumers cannot tell whether these unlabeled foods contain trans fats&#8212;and, in turn, cannot make the choice to avoid trans fat-laden foods&#8212;many cities and states have passed or are considering laws to eliminate trans fats in these foods. California&#8217;s governor recently signed legislation to phase out trans fats from restaurants by 2010 and from baked goods by 2011, the first state in the nation to do so. New York City became the largest city in the nation to require its restaurants, cafeterias, and schools to go trans free (the city has a &#8220;Trans Fat Help Center&#8221; to help food professionals comply), and other cities and towns, such as Boston, are following its lead.

The shift follows the growing realization that trans fats are even worse for the heart and blood vessels than saturated fats.

Commercial baked goods &#8212; such as crackers, cookies and cakes &#8212; and many fried foods, such as doughnuts and french fries &#8212; may contain trans fats. Shortenings and some margarines can be high in trans fat.

Trans fat used to be more common, but in recent years food manufacturers have used it less because of concerns over the health effects of trans fat. Food manufacturers in the United States and many other countries list the trans fat content on nutrition labels.

However, you should be aware of what nutritional labels really mean when it comes to trans fat. For example, in the United States if a food has less than 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving, the food label can read 0 grams trans fat. Though that's a small amount of trans fat, if you eat multiple servings of foods with less than 0.5 grams of trans fat, you could exceed recommended limits.

How do you know whether food contains trans fat? Look for the words "partially hydrogenated" vegetable oil. That's another term for trans fat.

... It sounds counterintuitive, but "fully" or "completely" hydrogenated oil doesn't contain trans fat. Unlike partially hydrogenated oil, the process used to make fully or completely hydrogenated oil doesn't result in trans-fatty acids. However, if the label says just "hydrogenated" vegetable oil, it could mean the oil contains some trans fat.

Still waiting for anyone to make the pro-trans fat case.

So is the FDA.

Last edited:
Nobody said they do it well, dumbass. I've been saying throughout the thread that they don't do enough. Besides which, SCOTUS ruled they don't have the authority.

Go learn to read. All you have here is a biased sample fallacy; you want them to ban tobacco, I'm sure you can write to them at the same address they have up for this. But all you're doing is trying to throw the baby out with the bath water. Come back when you can think of a rational argument on the topic, K?

I don't want them to ban tobacco, I don't think they need to ban trans fats or GMO's, or milk, nitrates, fluoride, aluminum and so on.

I educate myself on food and what is healthy or not. Then I follow it, once in awhile I'll eat something I shouldn't. But that is my choice, I don't need big government to make my decisions for me. I'm intelligent, unlike you, who needs government make decisions for you.

Typical.

Once again for the terminally slow -- there's nothing here relating to what you can eat. Oh wait, you're "intelligent", so you know that.

No dumb shit, it's about people educating themselves.

Typical.

No dumb shit, it's about people educating themselves.

Uh huh. So the mothers of all those thalidomide babies should have just "educated themselves". Those 107 people who died from Elixir of Sulfanilamide should have "educated themselves". My friend who contracted a terminal illness from a bad drug, hey she just should have "educated herself".

Just as I said -- it's all about Numero Uno.

Thalidomide Revisited - featuring an interview/story with/about Frances Kelsey (at age 95, she's now 99) Good story.

Ironically this public servant who kept Thalidomide off pharmacy shelves here was a Canadian, while Canada didn't stop the drug and suffered the effects. IOW the FDA succeeded where Canada and Europe failed.

ucm125294.jpg
]

Kelsey receiving the President's Award for Distinguished Federal Civilian Service, the highest civilian honor in the United States (1962)​

"Had Thalidomide been approved in the U.S., its use would have spread even further across the world because the U.S. is the biggest market -- the FDA today is considered the gold standard for approval. It wasn't back in 1961, but even so I think the imprimatur of U.S. approval would have meant wider use for Thalidomide." -- Fran Hawthorne, author of Inside the FDA- The Business and Politics Behind the Drugs We Take and the Food We Eat (quoted from program linked above)

But let's not forget, the FDA is evil. :evil:
Which companies were putting thalidomide in food products without telling consumers?

Indeed. And deep down, statists know they can't get people to voluntarily agree with their agenda. That's why they have to indoctrinate school children with it -- they're too young to question what they're told. For the rest of us, they have to alter the government to force us to go along.

"Force us to go along"?
Are you a food company, Dave?

No?

Then it doesn't affect you.

Duh.
If this were the only issue on which progressives were trying to legislate their agenda, you'd have a point.

However...

Thalidomide Revisited - featuring an interview/story with/about Frances Kelsey (at age 95, she's now 99) Good story.

Ironically this public servant who kept Thalidomide off pharmacy shelves here was a Canadian, while Canada didn't stop the drug and suffered the effects. IOW the FDA succeeded where Canada and Europe failed.

ucm125294.jpg
]

Kelsey receiving the President's Award for Distinguished Federal Civilian Service, the highest civilian honor in the United States (1962)​

"Had Thalidomide been approved in the U.S., its use would have spread even further across the world because the U.S. is the biggest market -- the FDA today is considered the gold standard for approval. It wasn't back in 1961, but even so I think the imprimatur of U.S. approval would have meant wider use for Thalidomide." -- Fran Hawthorne, author of Inside the FDA- The Business and Politics Behind the Drugs We Take and the Food We Eat (quoted from program linked above)

But let's not forget, the FDA is evil. :evil:
Which companies were putting thalidomide in food products without telling consumers?

Thalidomide was a drug, not a food. And one that could have been foisted on us as it was in Canada and Europe if not for FDA doing its job. The same job it's dong here.

Have any idea what the D in FDA stands for? I'll give you a hint: it's not "dipshit".

But hey, speaking of that -- know your fake Jefferson quote about "big enough government"? Gerald Ford, 1974, not Jefferson.

:dig:

Last edited:
Trans fats raise your bad (LDL) cholesterol levels and lower your good (HDL) cholesterol levels. Eating trans fats increases your risk of developing heart disease and stroke. It’s also associated with a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

Before 1990, very little was known about how trans fat can harm your health. In the 1990s, research began identifying the adverse health effects of trans fats.

The American Heart Association recommends limiting the amount of trans fats you eat to less than 1 percent of your total daily calories. That means if you need 2,000 calories a day, no more than 20 of those calories should come from trans fats. That’s less than 2 grams of trans fats a day. Given the amount of naturally occurring trans fats you probably eat every day, this leaves virtually no room at all for industrially manufactured trans fats.

For years, only true diet detectives knew whether a particular food contained trans fat. This phantom fat—the worst fat for the heart, blood vessels, and rest of the body—was found in thousands of foods. But only people who knew that the code phrases “partially hydrogenated vegetable oil” and “vegetable shortening” meant that trans fat lurked in the food were aware of its presence. Now, at least for foods with food labels, anyone can tell. Since January 1, 2006, the U.S. has required that trans fat must be listed on food labels along with other bad fats (saturated fats) and good ones (unsaturated fats).

... Of course, many foods don’t come with labels, such as foods sold in bakeries, cafeterias, schools, and restaurants. Because consumers cannot tell whether these unlabeled foods contain trans fats—and, in turn, cannot make the choice to avoid trans fat-laden foods—many cities and states have passed or are considering laws to eliminate trans fats in these foods. California’s governor recently signed legislation to phase out trans fats from restaurants by 2010 and from baked goods by 2011, the first state in the nation to do so. New York City became the largest city in the nation to require its restaurants, cafeterias, and schools to go trans free (the city has a “Trans Fat Help Center” to help food professionals comply), and other cities and towns, such as Boston, are following its lead.

The shift follows the growing realization that trans fats are even worse for the heart and blood vessels than saturated fats.

Commercial baked goods — such as crackers, cookies and cakes — and many fried foods, such as doughnuts and french fries — may contain trans fats. Shortenings and some margarines can be high in trans fat.

Trans fat used to be more common, but in recent years food manufacturers have used it less because of concerns over the health effects of trans fat. Food manufacturers in the United States and many other countries list the trans fat content on nutrition labels.

However, you should be aware of what nutritional labels really mean when it comes to trans fat. For example, in the United States if a food has less than 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving, the food label can read 0 grams trans fat. Though that's a small amount of trans fat, if you eat multiple servings of foods with less than 0.5 grams of trans fat, you could exceed recommended limits.

How do you know whether food contains trans fat? Look for the words "partially hydrogenated" vegetable oil. That's another term for trans fat.

... It sounds counterintuitive, but "fully" or "completely" hydrogenated oil doesn't contain trans fat. Unlike partially hydrogenated oil, the process used to make fully or completely hydrogenated oil doesn't result in trans-fatty acids. However, if the label says just "hydrogenated" vegetable oil, it could mean the oil contains some trans fat.

So is the FDA.

It's irrelevant no case needs to be made. It's my body my choice of what I want to consume.

Indeed. And deep down, statists know they can't get people to voluntarily agree with their agenda. That's why they have to indoctrinate school children with it -- they're too young to question what they're told. For the rest of us, they have to alter the government to force us to go along.

"Force us to go along"?
Are you a food company, Dave?

No?

Then it doesn't affect you.

Duh.
If this were the only issue on which progressives were trying to legislate their agenda, you'd have a point.

However...

However what?

Are you a food company or aren't you? And if you are, go ahead... make the case.

--------------------

This trans -fat ...harmful or not... I am will never stop eating. Never.

Hot chips.

If progressives have their way, you'll only be able to buy them on the black market.

No trans fats are required to make fries. Irrelevant.

-------------------------------------

Why? That's not the issue, no matter how much you pout and stamp your feet.

Isn't it?

See first post above. If you're a food company, go ahead, make your case that your trans fats should NOT be required to test for safety. If you're not, make the case for what you're being deprived of. You have 58 days.

Last edited:
Trans fats raise your bad (LDL) cholesterol levels and lower your good (HDL) cholesterol levels. Eating trans fats increases your risk of developing heart disease and stroke. It&#8217;s also associated with a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

The American Heart Association recommends limiting the amount of trans fats you eat to less than 1 percent of your total daily calories. That means if you need 2,000 calories a day, no more than 20 of those calories should come from trans fats. That&#8217;s less than 2 grams of trans fats a day. Given the amount of naturally occurring trans fats you probably eat every day, this leaves virtually no room at all for industrially manufactured trans fats.

For years, only true diet detectives knew whether a particular food contained trans fat. This phantom fat&#8212;the worst fat for the heart, blood vessels, and rest of the body&#8212;was found in thousands of foods. But only people who knew that the code phrases &#8220;partially hydrogenated vegetable oil&#8221; and &#8220;vegetable shortening&#8221; meant that trans fat lurked in the food were aware of its presence. Now, at least for foods with food labels, anyone can tell. Since January 1, 2006, the U.S. has required that trans fat must be listed on food labels along with other bad fats (saturated fats) and good ones (unsaturated fats).

... Of course, many foods don&#8217;t come with labels, such as foods sold in bakeries, cafeterias, schools, and restaurants. Because consumers cannot tell whether these unlabeled foods contain trans fats&#8212;and, in turn, cannot make the choice to avoid trans fat-laden foods&#8212;many cities and states have passed or are considering laws to eliminate trans fats in these foods. California&#8217;s governor recently signed legislation to phase out trans fats from restaurants by 2010 and from baked goods by 2011, the first state in the nation to do so. New York City became the largest city in the nation to require its restaurants, cafeterias, and schools to go trans free (the city has a &#8220;Trans Fat Help Center&#8221; to help food professionals comply), and other cities and towns, such as Boston, are following its lead.

Commercial baked goods &#8212; such as crackers, cookies and cakes &#8212; and many fried foods, such as doughnuts and french fries &#8212; may contain trans fats. Shortenings and some margarines can be high in trans fat.

So is the FDA.

It's irrelevant no case needs to be made. It's my body my choice of what I want to consume.

Nobody cares what you consume. Has nothing to do with this topic. You want to consume trans fats, ain't nobody stopping you.
Or do you not understand what the issue is?

Last edited:

You have to understand that in the leftist mind a cut of any part of a proposed increase in spending is a spending cut and, if it is in a program with a noble sounding title, is a gutting of the budget and tramples on the poor.

Any suggestion that Social Security or Medicaid or Medicare needs to be done differently is interpreted that the conservatives intend to get rid of those programs entirely.

Any suggestion that there is overreach by the EPA or a stupid energy policy, we eeeeeeevul conservatives are PROMOTING dirty air, dirty water, contaminated soil, and polluted oceans.

Any suggestion that we should secure our borders and regulate immigration is proof that we hate Mexicans.

Any criticism of the President is racist and we hate him because he is black.

So does it really surprise you that us wanting to retain our unalienable right to live our lives a we choose and resisting unnecessary government interference and overreach will be interpreted, by the dedicated leftists, as supporting thalidomide babies and wanting to poison people?

Last edited:
Trans fats raise your bad (LDL) cholesterol levels and lower your good (HDL) cholesterol levels. Eating trans fats increases your risk of developing heart disease and stroke. It’s also associated with a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

The American Heart Association recommends limiting the amount of trans fats you eat to less than 1 percent of your total daily calories. That means if you need 2,000 calories a day, no more than 20 of those calories should come from trans fats. That’s less than 2 grams of trans fats a day. Given the amount of naturally occurring trans fats you probably eat every day, this leaves virtually no room at all for industrially manufactured trans fats.

For years, only true diet detectives knew whether a particular food contained trans fat. This phantom fat—the worst fat for the heart, blood vessels, and rest of the body—was found in thousands of foods. But only people who knew that the code phrases “partially hydrogenated vegetable oil” and “vegetable shortening” meant that trans fat lurked in the food were aware of its presence. Now, at least for foods with food labels, anyone can tell. Since January 1, 2006, the U.S. has required that trans fat must be listed on food labels along with other bad fats (saturated fats) and good ones (unsaturated fats).

... Of course, many foods don’t come with labels, such as foods sold in bakeries, cafeterias, schools, and restaurants. Because consumers cannot tell whether these unlabeled foods contain trans fats—and, in turn, cannot make the choice to avoid trans fat-laden foods—many cities and states have passed or are considering laws to eliminate trans fats in these foods. California’s governor recently signed legislation to phase out trans fats from restaurants by 2010 and from baked goods by 2011, the first state in the nation to do so. New York City became the largest city in the nation to require its restaurants, cafeterias, and schools to go trans free (the city has a “Trans Fat Help Center” to help food professionals comply), and other cities and towns, such as Boston, are following its lead.

Commercial baked goods — such as crackers, cookies and cakes — and many fried foods, such as doughnuts and french fries — may contain trans fats. Shortenings and some margarines can be high in trans fat.

So is the FDA.

Nobody cares what you consume. Has nothing to do with this topic. You want to consume trans fats, ain't nobody stopping you.
FDA to ban trans-fats

Seems the FDA wants to know what I consume

FDA to ban trans-fats

Seems the FDA wants to know what I consume

Consider the source. You're reading a title fabricated by NovaSteve -- again, a guy who's infatuated with transsexuals. He saw the word trans and started drooling. But the reality is nothing's being "banned". So you can't go by that.

What's actually happening is FDA is opening comments on a proposal to take trans fats off its own GRAS list. Being on that list means you don't have to prove it's unsafe. Being off it will mean you do. So what you're arguing against is food safety standards.

Might wanna rethink that.

You have to understand that in the leftist mind a cut of any part of a proposed increase in spending is a spending cut and, if it is in a program with a noble sounding title, is a gutting of the budget and tramples on the poor.

Any suggestion that Social Security or Medicaid or Medicare needs to be done differently is interpreted that the conservatives intend to get rid of those programs entirely.

Any suggestion that there is overreach by the EPA or a stupid energy policy, we eeeeeeevul conservatives are PROMOTING dirty air, dirty water, contaminated soil, and polluted oceans.

Any suggestion that we should secure our borders and regulate immigration is proof that we hate Mexicans.

Any criticism of the President is racist and we hate him because he is black.

So does it really surprise you that us wanting to retain our unalienable right to live our lives a we choose and resisting unnecessary government interference and overreach will be interpreted, by the dedicated leftists, as supporting thalidomide babies and wanting to poison people?

Foxy, in my eleven months here that has got to be the absolute worst argument you have ever made. Blanket-statements-R-us have a sale?

Nothing here has anything remotely to do with budgets, EPAs, borders, Social Security, Medicare, racism, or freaking Mexicans. And I personally have opined on NONE of those anyway. You are way out of line here. And by the way, the post Dave excised and declared "not the issue" -- analysis by the Amerian Heart Association, Mayo Clinic and Harvard School of Public Health -- is one you already agree with. How hypocritical can you get.

Your "unnecessary government interference" has been going on since at least the 14th century (in Europe), since the 17th century here, since 1848 as regards the federal government, and since 1958 as regards the GRAS list. Yet somehow suddenly public health is a problem when we remove a toxic chemical that not one of us wants adulterating our foods.

Worst. Argument. Ever.

Last edited:
Thalidomide was a drug, not a food. And one that could have been foisted on us as it was in Canada and Europe if not for FDA doing its job. The same job it's dong here.

Have any idea what the D in FDA stands for? I'll give you a hint: it's not "dipshit".
No kidding, Mr. Obvious.

But in case you didn't know, this thread is about the F part.

Dumbass.
But hey, speaking of that -- know your fake Jefferson quote about "big enough government"? Gerald Ford, 1974, not Jefferson.

:dig:
Government big enough to give you everything you want...(Quotation) « Thomas Jefferson?s Monticello

Comments: Neither this quotation nor any of its variant forms has been found in the writings of Thomas Jefferson. Its first known appearance in print was in 1953, although it is most likely older. It appeared frequently in newspapers in the 1950s (usually unattributed), and was even used in political cartoons. It was copyrighted in 1957 by the General Features Corporation, as part of a syndicated newspaper feature called "Today's Chuckle." It later became a popular saying among Republican politicians. Governor Harold W. Handley of Indiana used it in his annual message to the Indiana General Assembly in 1961;[3] Barry Goldwater was quoted using it in his 1964 run for president;[4] and Gerald Ford is on record using it in an address to a joint session of Congress on August 12, 1974.[5] It was attributed to Ford as early as 1954, however,[6] and Ford's assistant, Robert Hartmann, said that Ford claimed to have heard the quotation "early in his political career" from Harvard McClain at the Economic Club of Chicago.[7]

This quotation was not attributed to Jefferson until relatively recently. It is sometimes followed by, "The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases," which is most likely a misquotation of Jefferson's comment, "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yeild, and government to gain ground."[8]​

Looks like we're both wrong. I can admit it. Can you?

Forum List

Back