Breaking: Justice Kagan Must Recuse Herself From Upcoming Gay Marriage Hearing

Would Kagan sitting on the 2015 gay-marriage Hearing in SCOTUS destroy your faith in Justice?

• Yes, absolutely. A US Supreme Court Justice must obey the 2009 Finding to recuse themself.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • No, it's OK to preside over a gay wedding and then sit on a case objectively about gay weddings.

Votes: 14 43.8%

• Total voters
Given that traffic violations are a crime.....and same sex marriage isn't, its only a demonstration that you have no idea what you're talking about.

There's a reason why your ilk just keep losing: your position is just awful. Its poorly thought through. It uses lousy analogies. Its burdened with fallacious reasoning.

Not really. A law is a law. Mixed marriages used to be against the law. Serving or transportation of alcohol used to be prohibited. Times change. Get rid of a traffic light and the law becomes moot. Instead use traffic circles like in London. No more need for the law. Simple.

If the law is wrong- change the law.

Just like homosexual couples are doing with marriage laws right now.

Bingo!

You must have been top of your class.

I think that was my God damned point about 4 hours ago. Lol!!!

Have you ever had a point?
Yes. Some of us felt same-sex marriage was wrong because it wasn't recognized. Some people feel it's unnatural. I just think it's hilarious. More power to them.

Imagine when they lose their looks and they become like Rosie O'Donnell. My sister lost her partner to an illness and she's old and grey and finds it difficult to find anyone now. With only 4% of the population being gay, it's tough.

Still not sure what your point is.

And that is different than being old and Jewish and looking for a Jewish partner how? Its tough being old and finding a new partner no matter who you are.

Edith Windsor of course lost her partner of 40 years, and even though they were legally married, the United States wanted to treat her differently than a spouse married to the opposite gender

Interesting article I stumbled across:
Mail Bag Competing Personal Freedoms and Public Accommodation Laws

As it stands now, and has for a very long time, you do not have the right to refuse service to anyone. Your business does not have the right to refuse service to anyone. This has been true for more than 70 years in the United States. I’m not sure what alternate universe people are living in where they put up a sign that somehow makes them believe they are exempt from this well-established rule.

These so-called public accommodation laws are meant to protect individual freedom and liberty. They are the only way a large market based system can operate efficiently in a non-homogenous, pluralistic society such as the United States, which is a global melting pot.

The public accommodation rules state that when you engage in a business, the business activity is only permitted if you enter the market place willing to sell your product or service to anyone that meets the equally applied standards (e.g., a restaurant requiring a suit and tie) and that is able and willing to pay. That’s it. It’s about an equal economic exchange. If they pay, they are treated just like any other customer.

To understand how these public accommodation laws protect you:

Scenario 1: Imagine you are a devout Christian traveling in Washington state. Your car breaks down and you come upon an inn in the middle of the night. You go to get a room but the owners are very conservative Muslims and do not want you staying under their roof if you refuse to say prayers with them. Under public accommodation laws, this is illegal. They are in the business of providing a place to sleep, in exchange for a set amount of money. They cannot refuse you as a customer. They cannot kick you out into the night. If they do, they are in violation of the law and you can sue them into oblivion. The state can also sue them, putting them out of business.

Scenario 2: Imagine your spouse leaves you. You didn’t want to get a divorce but were served with papers. You finally move on and get remarried. You go to an accountant who is a devout Catholic and believes your remarriage is a form of adultery. This accountant refuses to file your taxes as “Married” because it violates their definition of the sanctity of marriage. This is a violation of the public accommodation rules. The accountant is free to believe whatever he or she wants for his or her own personal life. They cannot require you to do the same. They are in the business of providing tax services, and you are able and willing to pay. If they turn you away, you can sue them into oblivion. The state can also sue them, putting them out of business.

Scenario 3: Imagine a Church owns a building that it rents out to the public. The Church business – in this case, a real estate operation – is subject to the public accommodation laws. The Church could not turn away a group of pagans that wanted to have a goat sacrifice in their hall if they rent the facility out to the general public instead of restricting it solely to members. Again, this is nothing new. If they turn the pagans away, they can be sued into oblivion. The state can also sue them, putting them out of business.

Scenario 4: Imagine you are a Southern Baptist. You believe the definition of marriage is between one man and one woman. You go to a restaurant where the owners disagree with you and they recognize your face from a local news story. The owners refuse to serve you food and demand you leave. This is a violation of the public accommodation laws. You can sue them into oblivion. The state can also sue them, putting them out of business.

Scenario 5: Imagine you own a bed and breakfast. You don’t want non-married couples sleeping in the same room. You do not have the right to enforce that policy. You are in the business of renting facilities. An attempt to stop a couple from sleeping together is a violation of the public accommodation laws. They could sue you into oblivion. The state could also sue you, putting you out of business.

Only someone completely ignorant of how the law works would think otherwise. It doesn’t matter that you own the property – if you want a business license, there are certain rules and regulat
ions with which you must comply. No exceptions. Again, this is nothing new.

So basically you guys created an issue that before wasn't even a consideration.

'you guys' - you mean people who know that public accommodation laws have existed for decades?

And apply equally to everyone- including homosexuals when discrimination against sexual preference is in the law?

And support the rights of people to exercise their rights under the law?

Actually, that would date back to when I was a child- the Civil Rights Act.
Yeah, now we need to grant the same rights to everyone or every creature. Cats and Dogs, Chickens and Frogs. Pedophilia, Bestiality, Necrophilia, brothers marrying their sisters.

Gotta be fair.

Not really. A law is a law. Mixed marriages used to be against the law. Serving or transportation of alcohol used to be prohibited. Times change. Get rid of a traffic light and the law becomes moot. Instead use traffic circles like in London. No more need for the law. Simple.

Bingo!

Yes. Some of us felt same-sex marriage was wrong because it wasn't recognized. Some people feel it's unnatural. I just think it's hilarious. More power to them.

Imagine when they lose their looks and they become like Rosie O'Donnell. My sister lost her partner to an illness and she's old and grey and finds it difficult to find anyone now. With only 4% of the population being gay, it's tough.

And that is different than being old and Jewish and looking for a Jewish partner how? Its tough being old and finding a new partner no matter who you are.

Edith Windsor of course lost her partner of 40 years, and even though they were legally married, the United States wanted to treat her differently than a spouse married to the opposite gender

I don't believe that. It's much easier to find companionship and even a spouse when you're straight.....unless you live in SF.

Interesting article I stumbled across:
Mail Bag Competing Personal Freedoms and Public Accommodation Laws

As it stands now, and has for a very long time, you do not have the right to refuse service to anyone. Your business does not have the right to refuse service to anyone. This has been true for more than 70 years in the United States. I’m not sure what alternate universe people are living in where they put up a sign that somehow makes them believe they are exempt from this well-established rule.

These so-called public accommodation laws are meant to protect individual freedom and liberty. They are the only way a large market based system can operate efficiently in a non-homogenous, pluralistic society such as the United States, which is a global melting pot.

The public accommodation rules state that when you engage in a business, the business activity is only permitted if you enter the market place willing to sell your product or service to anyone that meets the equally applied standards (e.g., a restaurant requiring a suit and tie) and that is able and willing to pay. That’s it. It’s about an equal economic exchange. If they pay, they are treated just like any other customer.

To understand how these public accommodation laws protect you:

Scenario 1: Imagine you are a devout Christian traveling in Washington state. Your car breaks down and you come upon an inn in the middle of the night. You go to get a room but the owners are very conservative Muslims and do not want you staying under their roof if you refuse to say prayers with them. Under public accommodation laws, this is illegal. They are in the business of providing a place to sleep, in exchange for a set amount of money. They cannot refuse you as a customer. They cannot kick you out into the night. If they do, they are in violation of the law and you can sue them into oblivion. The state can also sue them, putting them out of business.

Scenario 2: Imagine your spouse leaves you. You didn’t want to get a divorce but were served with papers. You finally move on and get remarried. You go to an accountant who is a devout Catholic and believes your remarriage is a form of adultery. This accountant refuses to file your taxes as “Married” because it violates their definition of the sanctity of marriage. This is a violation of the public accommodation rules. The accountant is free to believe whatever he or she wants for his or her own personal life. They cannot require you to do the same. They are in the business of providing tax services, and you are able and willing to pay. If they turn you away, you can sue them into oblivion. The state can also sue them, putting them out of business.

Scenario 3: Imagine a Church owns a building that it rents out to the public. The Church business – in this case, a real estate operation – is subject to the public accommodation laws. The Church could not turn away a group of pagans that wanted to have a goat sacrifice in their hall if they rent the facility out to the general public instead of restricting it solely to members. Again, this is nothing new. If they turn the pagans away, they can be sued into oblivion. The state can also sue them, putting them out of business.

Scenario 4: Imagine you are a Southern Baptist. You believe the definition of marriage is between one man and one woman. You go to a restaurant where the owners disagree with you and they recognize your face from a local news story. The owners refuse to serve you food and demand you leave. This is a violation of the public accommodation laws. You can sue them into oblivion. The state can also sue them, putting them out of business.

Scenario 5: Imagine you own a bed and breakfast. You don’t want non-married couples sleeping in the same room. You do not have the right to enforce that policy. You are in the business of renting facilities. An attempt to stop a couple from sleeping together is a violation of the public accommodation laws. They could sue you into oblivion. The state could also sue you, putting you out of business.

Only someone completely ignorant of how the law works would think otherwise. It doesn’t matter that you own the property – if you want a business license, there are certain rules and regulat
ions with which you must comply. No exceptions. Again, this is nothing new.

So basically you guys created an issue that before wasn't even a consideration.

'you guys' - you mean people who know that public accommodation laws have existed for decades?

And apply equally to everyone- including homosexuals when discrimination against sexual preference is in the law?

And support the rights of people to exercise their rights under the law?

Actually, that would date back to when I was a child- the Civil Rights Act.
Yeah, now we need to grant the same rights to everyone or every creature. Cats and Dogs, Chickens and Frogs. Pedophilia, Bestiality, Necrophilia, brothers marrying their sisters.

Gotta be fair.

You go for it, mr. fairness!

Bingo!

I don't believe that. It's much easier to find companionship and even a spouse when you're straight.....unless you live in SF.

I can't say I know- I am neither elderly or gay and I am happily married.

From what I have heard, its a challenge to ever replace a lost spouse when you are in your 70's or 80's.

Bingo!

From what I have heard, its a challenge to ever replace a lost spouse when you are in your 70's or 80's.

My sister was in her 50s and suffered a stroke because of drinking. Her health went to shit. It's hard enough if you're straight to find someone under those circumstances. Her partner died....which happens often in the gay community. Had a neighbor that lived behind us.....his partner died. AIDs, suicide, mental illness. Transsexuals have a lot of mental health issues. It just seems to be a constant thing. Rarely does any couple live out their lives together. I think some of them felt that marriage was a solution, a form of acceptance. There is still a stigma that surrounds homosexuality, and the law isn't going to erase that.

My sister was in her 50s and suffered a stroke because of drinking. Her health went to shit. It's hard enough if you're straight to find someone under those circumstances. Her partner died....which happens often in the gay community. Had a neighbor that lived behind us.....his partner died. AIDs, suicide, mental illness. Transsexuals have a lot of mental health issues. It just seems to be a constant thing. Rarely does any couple live out their lives together. I think some of them felt that marriage was a solution, a form of acceptance. There is still a stigma that surrounds homosexuality, and the law isn't going to erase that.

There was a stigma attached to mixed race marriage to- and recognizing that as unconstitutional enabled the gradual change that followed.

And rarely does any couple- ever live out their lives together.
Nature of the beast- between divorce, and death- the odds are one spouse will be left on his or her own regardless of you are gay or straight.

Best you can hope for is that both of you have a long and happy life together.

There was a stigma attached to mixed race marriage to- and recognizing that as unconstitutional enabled the gradual change that followed.

Nature of the beast- between divorce, and death- the odds are one spouse will be left on his or her own regardless of you are gay or straight.

I don't think you have nearly the stigma with mixed marriages as you do with same-sex marriages.
Not even close. I should know. I'm in one.

Gays have complications. Adoption, not everyone is Rosie O'Donnell. Gays split up alot. Can't or won't visit relatives. Complications.

Do you find that you have a stigma around you; being a racist moron and all?

Bingo!

Like most conservatives/republicans; if you're not in a group that is experiencing discrimination, you do not care as long as they are politically on your shit-list. This is why they lose national elections so often.

I don't think you have nearly the stigma with mixed marriages as you do with same-sex marriages.

Gays have complications. Adoption, not everyone is Rosie O'Donnell. Gays split up alot. Can't or won't visit relatives. Complications.

There is not the stigma any more about mixed race marriages- in 1967 it was very much a real issue- such a real issue that the State of Virginia raised the issue in its oral arguments on why the ban of mixed race marriages was rational.

Everyone has complications. Look at our national divorce rate. Look at our rate of single parenthood.

There is not the stigma any more about mixed race marriages- in 1967 it was very much a real issue- such a real issue that the State of Virginia raised the issue in its oral arguments on why the ban of mixed race marriages was rational.

Everyone has complications. Look at our national divorce rate. Look at our rate of single parenthood.

The suicide rate among gun owners is staggeringly high....stigma?

Do you find that you have a stigma around you; being a racist moron and all?
Nope, not like a heinous bitch like you always does.

Maybe in the South, but not where I lived. I'm from the NorthWest. It wasn't an issue at all.

STFU retard.

Probably just a product of a method of attempting suicide that works so damn well.

Looks like a flame war to bury the thread has been manfuctured. Should I start reporting you actors again or will you return to the topic of expressed bias and mandatory recusal?

There is no mandatory recusal standard for the supreme court.
In 2009 the SCOTUS found that any judge who exhibits an "appearance of bias" or where an objective person would harbor a "suspicion of bias" in judge, then that judge must recuse themself.

Supreme Court Justices, who are judges, are not above their own law.

At least you are no longer arguing the obvious: that Kagan and Ginsburg exhibited bias on the fed looming over states having to redact the word "marriage"..

Looks like a flame war to bury the thread has been manfuctured. Should I start reporting you actors again or will you return to the topic of expressed bias and mandatory recusal?

Please report us all.

Pretty please.

Meanwhile- on topic- justices decide for themselves whether to recuse themselves- I don't expect any justice to recuse themselves from this case.

Forum List

Back