Breaking News: Restaurants Closing All Over Seattle As $15 Minimum Wage Mandate Starts April 1st.

The free market should determine the labor rates

Yep the free market should encourage the free expression of unionism by freely allowing the minimum wage workers of the USA to freely join the International Organization of Minimum Wage Workers. Who will then freely negotiate the wage requirements of their members. And they won't be making MW anymore. And it will all be done in the :"free" markets.

Don't that sound like a good idea? With the union representing these workers, their labor will be worth more. To the laborers.

It is amazing what the free markers will allow.

Unions should have the ability to form when they want. No problem with that.

The problem comes when the greedy filthy unions pay politicians big bucks to use the government to give them protection that the free market doesn't support. We have seen that big time with the Obama Administration.

Yep the free market should encourage the free expression of unionism by freely allowing the minimum wage workers of the USA to freely join the International Organization of Minimum Wage Workers. Who will then freely negotiate the wage requirements of their members. And they won't be making MW anymore. And it will all be done in the :"free" markets.

Don't that sound like a good idea? With the union representing these workers, their labor will be worth more. To the laborers.

That sounds like a great idea. As long as employers are free to say "No thanks" and hire someone else if they don't like what the union has to offer.

It's a horrendously unequal distribution of the profits of Capitalism here in America.
PLUS you keep forgetting something that ignorant people like you that create this dissension and hatred of people that are successful.
A) $ 28.5 billion paid to these 165,200 people generated $6.2 billion in Federal taxes
B) Paid the state of New York at 6.65% on taxable income between $77,151 and $205,850,000 or $2.13 billion in state taxes

These evil wall street filthy executives PAID the State and Federal taxes of $8.3 billion.
These 1,007,000 workers at minimum wage paid NO taxes and at the same time received in Earned Income tax credit of $503 if they had no children.
or from $5.06 billion to $33.8 billion in EIC paid BACK to these workers If they had one qualifying child : $3,359
Federal government paid BACK to these 1,007,000 minimum wage from $5.06 billion to $33.8 billion plus the workers paid no taxes!

The REST of the story!!
Wall Street bonuses doubled income earned by all US minimum wage workers RT USA

I take it you are OK with raising minimum wage so a full time worker does not have to be subsidized by "we the People"

A brief aside I am not ignoroant if one uses the metric of having a graduate degree...second I do not hate successful people since I myself am secure economically... I loathe injustice and avarice without limits..
Senate Report: Tax Move Helped Hedge Funds Save Billions

A Hedge Fund Tax Dodge Uses Bermuda Reinsurers ...

BoA helped hedge fund clients dodge taxes, says report - Al ...

Sept. 11 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Treasury Department said it’s considering ways to end a “loophole” that allows hedge-fund managers to avoid taxes by routing their investments through an insurance company in low-tax countries like Bermuda.

outofbalance.jpg

Unions should have the ability to form when they want. No problem with that.

The problem comes when the greedy filthy unions pay politicians big bucks to use the government to give them protection that the free market doesn't support. We have seen that big time with the Obama Administration.
And no one should be compelled to join a union

I am well aware of the economic situation in this country regarding families, as well as single workers. Yes, businesses will do what they have to in order to retain cheap labor, as they are accustom to doing. They are not going to pay any more than they have to. I'm well aware of how the system works. I worked for over 40 years in many industries.
That's a lie. There's no law (yet) that dictates pay raises but all businesses I know of have them. You get better at your job and can do more, they want you to stay, so they give you a raise. Simple stuff really.
What's a lie? Where did I lie? I said absolutely nothing about "a law". Who are you addressing? I don't believe that I mentioned a law. What was the lie?
You're a retard!
"They are not going to pay any more than they have to."

That's a lie. You know nothing about business, you're running your cyber mouth about things completely out of your grasp.

It's a horrendously unequal distribution of the profits of Capitalism here in America.
PLUS you keep forgetting something that ignorant people like you that create this dissension and hatred of people that are successful.
A) $ 28.5 billion paid to these 165,200 people generated $6.2 billion in Federal taxes
B) Paid the state of New York at 6.65% on taxable income between $77,151 and $205,850,000 or $2.13 billion in state taxes

These evil wall street filthy executives PAID the State and Federal taxes of $8.3 billion.
These 1,007,000 workers at minimum wage paid NO taxes and at the same time received in Earned Income tax credit of $503 if they had no children.
or from $5.06 billion to $33.8 billion in EIC paid BACK to these workers If they had one qualifying child : $3,359
Federal government paid BACK to these 1,007,000 minimum wage from $5.06 billion to $33.8 billion plus the workers paid no taxes!

The REST of the story!!

I take it you are OK with raising minimum wage so a full time worker does not have to be subsidized by "we the People"

A brief aside I am not ignoroant if one uses the metric of having a graduate degree...second I do not hate successful people since I myself am secure economically... I loathe injustice and avarice without limits..

Sept. 11 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Treasury Department said it’s considering ways to end a “loophole” that allows hedge-fund managers to avoid taxes by routing their investments through an insurance company in low-tax countries like Bermuda.

You and I have one thing in common... both do not like avarice... but MY better position is avarice controlled by the individual...not the state!
See I KNOW that the Golden Rule works and would work even better if it were taught constantly with as much expense and advertising as "global warming",
"gay rights"..etc. Think about it. If you and I and the rest of the world would do unto others as you and I would have others do unto us... there would be fewer needs for rules and regulations which are totally smothering any growth in this country.
So as far as avarice controls... it would be better without state interferences.

Consequently there would be NO minimum wage.
First the facts:
As Gruber said because of the "Stupidity of the American Voter" most uninformed voters that voted for Obama don't seem to know that:
In 1979 6,912,000 or 13.4% of all hourly workers worked at minimum wage or of the total hourly workers of 51,582,090
In 1989 3,162,000 or 50% LESS working at minimum wage of the 62,000,000 people working at hourly wage
In 2009 there were 3,572,000 people working at minimum wage of the total work force of 72,897,959 at hourly wage or 4.9%
Finally in 2013 there were 3,300,000 working at minimum or 4.3% of 76,744,186 that work at hourly or 4.3%
AND of the 3.3 million working at minimum wage:
Among employed teenagers paid by the hour, about 21 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared
with about 3 percent of workers age 25 and the remaining at age 16 to 24 years,1,797,000 at or below minimum wage.
Tables 1 - 10 Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers 2012

As a "graduate degreed" person you should then comprehend that the ONLY people that will really be hurt by $15.00 minimum wage are
those people age 16 - 24.
These people have little or no skills and get on the job training that helps get better jobs.
BUT by raising minimum wage you will be putting these people out of work thus increasing unemployment.
The youth unemployment rate was 14.3 percent in July 2014,
Employment and Unemployment Among Youth Summary

The REST of the story!!

You and I have one thing in common... both do not like avarice... but MY better position is avarice controlled by the individual...not the state!
See I KNOW that the Golden Rule works and would work even better if it were taught constantly with as much expense and advertising as "global warming",
"gay rights"..etc. Think about it. If you and I and the rest of the world would do unto others as you and I would have others do unto us... there would be fewer needs for rules and regulations which are totally smothering any growth in this country.
So as far as avarice controls... it would be better without state interferences.

First the facts:
As Gruber said because of the "Stupidity of the American Voter" most uninformed voters that voted for Obama don't seem to know that:
In 1979 6,912,000 or 13.4% of all hourly workers worked at minimum wage or of the total hourly workers of 51,582,090
In 1989 3,162,000 or 50% LESS working at minimum wage of the 62,000,000 people working at hourly wage
In 2009 there were 3,572,000 people working at minimum wage of the total work force of 72,897,959 at hourly wage or 4.9%
Finally in 2013 there were 3,300,000 working at minimum or 4.3% of 76,744,186 that work at hourly or 4.3%
Among employed teenagers paid by the hour, about 21 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared
with about 3 percent of workers age 25 and the remaining at age 16 to 24 years,1,797,000 at or below minimum wage.

As a "graduate degreed" person you should then comprehend that the ONLY people that will really be hurt by $15.00 minimum wage are
These people have little or no skills and get on the job training that helps get better jobs.
BUT by raising minimum wage you will be putting these people out of work thus increasing unemployment.
There is a need for a balancing mechanism to regulate avarice...avarice is like friction ....you need friction in order to have traction ...without it you are slipping and sliding....however too much friction will create heat that can burn up stuff and bring things to a halt...

I see Government as serving a balancing regulatory role viz a viz greed....

I am well aware of the economic situation in this country regarding families, as well as single workers. Yes, businesses will do what they have to in order to retain cheap labor, as they are accustom to doing. They are not going to pay any more than they have to. I'm well aware of how the system works. I worked for over 40 years in many industries.
That's a lie. There's no law (yet) that dictates pay raises but all businesses I know of have them. You get better at your job and can do more, they want you to stay, so they give you a raise. Simple stuff really.
What's a lie? Where did I lie? I said absolutely nothing about "a law". Who are you addressing? I don't believe that I mentioned a law. What was the lie?
You're a retard!
"They are not going to pay any more than they have to."

That's a lie. You know nothing about business, you're running your cyber mouth about things completely out of your grasp.
Oh, I see. so instead of paying an employee $20.00 an hour to do a task ( job ), a business will pay double that just out of the goodness of its heart? Or, a business will pay a janitor $40.00 an hour just to feel good about itself? What's a lie? Where did I lie? A business is not going to pay an employee any more than they have to pay. What business do you know of that pays employees way more than the going rate? Name a business that pays way outside the going rate for any particular job? I have owned two businesses, and yet, you say that I know nothing about running a business? That shows just how little you know.

Also, your childish and silly name calling and personal attack is school yard stuff, and has no place on forums where adults are attempting to have civil conversations. Your age? If you think that immature "cyber mouth" comment makes you appear to be intelligent and "all-knowing", think again. FYI - Business is NOT out of my grasp. If there's anything that you'd like to know or learn about "business", just ask. I'll be glad to help you in any way that I can. I do not mind sharing knowledge or my many years of experience.

Again, what lie did I tell, or what lie are you referring to? Care to tell me the lie that you think I told? And, please grow up and at least appear to be adult in these conversations. Childish remarks and comments add absolutely nothing to these conversations.

The wage is reflection of what labor is worth to business.
They don't get to decide that. They have proven themselves unworthy of doing so by paying such low wages.

a business does not get to decide what it can spend on labor????????? WTF is wrong with you? Have you ever actually had a job?
Yes. Several. Take Wal Mart for example. When 6 Waltons are worth more than the lower 40% of americans they can afford a lot better than 9 or 10$ an hour.They want to be greedy pieces of shit then governme is forced to step in.

the Waltons are rich because they successfully created a chain of stores that millions of people shop at. They make a very small % profit but its on a very large volume of sales.

If they are forced to raise their employee pay (which is above minimum wage in every store) they will either have to reduce the number of employees or raise prices, either of which hurts poor people the most.

less than 3% of working americans make minimum wage and the vast majority of those are teens making pocket money in part time jobs.

minimum wage is not a problem in this country, but it makes a good sympathy rant for liberals.
1. They are rich because their granddaddy made it rich they did not
2. No they would not have to raise prices that's more of the right wing bullshit that's been debunked.

No, the bullshit is all coming from the left. A very small % of walmart employees make minimum wage, and they only make it during a short training period, then their pay in increeased. MW is really not an issue in this country. Fast food workers here in NOLA start at more than MW, and the fast food outlets are always looking for people.

MW is nothing but a left wing wedge issue that is used to stir up discontent amoung the ignorant. It obviously works on you.

But it sounds like you want every walmart employee to get a raise because you are jealous of the success of the Walton family.

Bogus OP and thread. One of the best examples ever of how people get tricked into believing nonsense. The restaurants in Seattle are not being effected with closures by the hourly wage law. 64 pages if debate and comments about a situation that doesn't even exist. A situation made up to promote a political viewpoint and honesty ignored.
Here is how the business community views the restaurant closings in Seattle, before the political agenda and disinformation is added by the hacks.

seattlemag.com/article/why-are-so-many-seattle-restaurants-closing-lately

So you dispute this will happen which is why 400 restaurants are closing in Seattle?
I am not sure you comprehend how businesses operate but here are the basic facts.

A small restaurant owner grosses $500,000 a year and to get these sales:
A) pays out 36% or $180,000 in wages/labor costs
B) pays out 30% or $150,000 in food
C) Pays out 30% or $150,000 for rent,utilities,permits, taxes,etc...
A total costs of $480,000 leaving

profit for the owner $20,000 net income...

BUT what happens if labor costs jump to 50% of the $500,000 gross revenue
Labor of $250,000
Food $150,000
other $150,000
Total $550,000
BUT WAIT... the gross revenue stayed the same $500,000.

Far from a profit of $20,000 the owner now because his labor costs jumped to 50% of revenue, has to make up out of OWN pocket, $50,000 in losses!
Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what the owner sees no profit and worse the owner will have to pay OUT money!

Why is this so complicated?
I dispute misinformation being used to make a point. For example you start your post by misquoting the articles reference to 400 restaurants "closing or selling". You leave out the selling portion and only refer to "400 restaurants are closing...". That is a significant misquote that manipulates a fact and creates the kind of misinformation that turns your argument into what amounts to lies. Restaurants being sold to new owners are not closing. They are changing. An Italian restaurant may be sold because of competition from an over abundance of Italian restaurants in the immediate area. It might be transferred and sold to new owners who see a potential for a Mexican restaurant in that area. In other cases the restaurant may be so successful that the owners need a larger space for expansion.
The anti minimum wage argument seems dependent on guessing, estimating, faulty facts and more about opinion than facts. My point is simple that real data does not back up the anti minimum wage argument. The issue is grossly politicized and dependent on misinformation. Claiming 400 restaurants have been forced into closure due to a minimum wage law is gross misinformation when facts indicate as many new ones have been opened as those that have been closed. There appears to be as many restaurants operating in Seattle this year as there were last year. The article I posted names a few of them and gives their locations.

The REST of the story!!

First the facts:

There is a need for a balancing mechanism to regulate avarice...avarice is like friction ....you need friction in order to have traction ...without it you are slipping and sliding....however too much friction will create heat that can burn up stuff and bring things to a halt...

more left wing BS. the balancing mechanism is supply and demand and the free market. Govt only screws up the normal process.

The workers keep it running Without the workers they treat so badly the place would collapse.

Minimum Wage Mythbusters - U.S. Department of Labor
If it's really true that raising minimum wage has no harmful side effects, why screw around with ten dollars an hour? Why not fifty or one hundred?

....crickets. ...
We aren't being greedy we just want enough to live off of and pay bills and buy food etc. Leave it to a republican to use an idiotic example.
That desire is what drives you to not be so fucking worthless the government has to negotiate a wage for you. If you are making minimum wage it's because it's what you're worth. That also means you are easily replaceable because you're too fucking stupid to do anything else that would be worth more to an employer. So the government steps in and demands a wage that isn't worth paying and you lose your job entirely. That's how it works.
Then allow ALL workers to unionize.

That's already the case.
You tried unionizing at Wal Mart? I look forward to the day they unionize here...
Minimum wage talk is a joke. To small of a demographic to impact the economy

-Geaux
Its not just about min wage workers. EVERYONE should be given a wage they can live off of pay bills,gas,food,child care etc 35K a year a least...

Oh, I see. so instead of paying an employee $20.00 an hour to do a task ( job ), a business will pay double that just out of the goodness of its heart? Or, a business will pay a janitor $40.00 an hour just to feel good about itself? What's a lie? Where did I lie? A business is not going to pay an employee any more than they have to pay. What business do you know of that pays employees way more than the going rate? Name a business that pays way outside the going rate for any particular job? I have owned two businesses, and yet, you say that I know nothing about running a business? That shows just how little you know.

Also, your childish and silly name calling and personal attack is school yard stuff, and has no place on forums where adults are attempting to have civil conversations. Your age? If you think that immature "cyber mouth" comment makes you appear to be intelligent and "all-knowing", think again. FYI - Business is NOT out of my grasp. If there's anything that you'd like to know or learn about "business", just ask. I'll be glad to help you in any way that I can. I do not mind sharing knowledge or my many years of experience.

Again, what lie did I tell, or what lie are you referring to? Care to tell me the lie that you think I told? And, please grow up and at least appear to be adult in these conversations. Childish remarks and comments add absolutely nothing to these conversations.
You speak like a toddler and demand respect. You lie, then twist other people's words around to make your idiotic ill informed posts. Sometimes businesses do pay out of the goodness of their hearts. Sometimes what they feel they should. Sometimes to keep the help there, especially if the job is unpleasant. It depends on the business and a bunch of variables. Not all of us fit into your small toggle switch world view.

If YOU owned two businesses and payed them only what you had to that explains which category you fit into. Don't project your shortcomings onto others. We are not all like you. And if you are going to make idiotic, dishonest statements about what people say and get rile up when they call you on it it, it's YOU that needs to grow up.

Last edited:
the Waltons are rich because they successfully created a chain of stores that millions of people shop at. They make a very small % profit but its on a very large volume of sales.

If they are forced to raise their employee pay (which is above minimum wage in every store) they will either have to reduce the number of employees or raise prices, either of which hurts poor people the most.

less than 3% of working americans make minimum wage and the vast majority of those are teens making pocket money in part time jobs.

minimum wage is not a problem in this country, but it makes a good sympathy rant for liberals.
2. No they would not have to raise prices that's more of the right wing bullshit that's been debunked.
A Left wing white supremacist. LMAO!

OMG that never gets old!
Racial Socialist as I have said a dozen times.You act like its some surprise.
Right. Like I'm going to tell one bedsheet from another. Same shit, different blender speed.
Not even close. Klan is a christian group and hates socialism...

the KKK is not Christian. Hate is not a Christian value.

-Geaux

Well, that's thing. And it's what they'll never talk about. I'd like to see the federal minimum wage raised to $50.00/hr., just to shut these idiots up.

Seriously, for those of you who really think minimum wage laws are beneficial, how do you think things would shake out with a substantial boost to the minimum? For the sake of argument, let's skip past whatever 'adjustments' would be necessary. Let's pretend there would be no job losses, no economic meltdown. How would things look five (ten, twenty) years after such a significant boost?

The burger flippers are now paid $50.00/hr. What is the manager paid?
It depends on the minimum wage. A social safety net, at the rock bottom cost of a form of minimum wage that clears our poverty guidelines; would be much more effective if it could be applied for on an at-will basis whenever labor can claim to be unemployed.

r
If it's really true that raising minimum wage has no harmful side effects, why screw around with ten dollars an hour? Why not fifty or one hundred?

....crickets. ...
We aren't being greedy we just want enough to live off of and pay bills and buy food etc. Leave it to a republican to use an idiotic example.
That desire is what drives you to not be so fucking worthless the government has to negotiate a wage for you. If you are making minimum wage it's because it's what you're worth. That also means you are easily replaceable because you're too fucking stupid to do anything else that would be worth more to an employer. So the government steps in and demands a wage that isn't worth paying and you lose your job entirely. That's how it works.

That's already the case.
You tried unionizing at Wal Mart? I look forward to the day they unionize here...

-Geaux
Its not just about min wage workers. EVERYONE should be given a wage they can live off of pay bills,gas,food,child care etc 35K a year a least...

Why? you really give yourself away when you use the word "given" a wage. In your left wing mind you don't understand working for your money, you just want it "given" to you. Because its only "fair" right?

r

That's already the case.

-Geaux

Why? you really give yourself away when you use the word "given" a wage. In your left wing mind you don't understand working for your money, you just want it "given" to you. Because its only "fair" right?
Only in Right to Work States.

A Left wing white supremacist. LMAO!

OMG that never gets old!
Racial Socialist as I have said a dozen times.You act like its some surprise.
Right. Like I'm going to tell one bedsheet from another. Same shit, different blender speed.
Not even close. Klan is a christian group and hates socialism...

the KKK is not Christian. Hate is not a Christian value.

"Hate is not a Christian value"-Redfish
Actually the Bible states that hate is equivalent to murder. John 1 3:15.
Reading most of the threads/posts/signatures on USMB, indicates we have very, very few true Christians on board here. but we do have a ton of fake Christians.

The REST of the story!!

First the facts:

I see local governing as the best most responsive versus a cubicle dweller in Washington D.C. that deals only with massive numbers and not local situations.
The minimum wage is a perfect example.
Why should the ENTIRE country have a $15 minimum wage when in NY that is the "minimum" living wage BUT in
Mississippi on the other hand that would be the average income!

Forum List

Back