Breaking News: Restaurants Closing All Over Seattle As $15 Minimum Wage Mandate Starts April 1st.

Don't buy a GM car. Problem solved.

I never will. I drive a mercedes and a BMW, both assembled in the USA in non-union factories in the south.

Yes we know, you're proud American Workers are making less than GM Workers made 30yrs ago. Makes perfect sense. Seriously, you really should reconsider your Corporate-bootlicking and greed. You've lost your way.

Actually, when I was working in Mercedes Tuscaloosa plant, workers there seem pretty happy to me.

You've lost your way son. Listen to yourself sometime. You celebrate American Workers making less than their counterparts made 30yrs ago. You've allowed your hate & greed to consume you.

Not really. I celebrate that I am paid what my work is worth. I could work for any of big three, but apparently they cant afford me.

No, you were giddy with excitement celebrating American Workers making less than their counterparts made 30-40 years ago. All so you could get your car a little cheaper. That's the ultimate in hateful greed. You have lost your way son.

I don't think they're doing it to good customers. Now if you're an asshole to them, then you should worry.

Trust me, you really do want happy & prosperous workers waiting on you in restaurants especially. But happy & prosperous workers make for better workers overall. They're proud of their work and happy to serve.

You never told us how much is a fair wage. Lets say that everyone is doing exactly the same job, how much should they be paid? Is it the same in NYC as in Fargo ND? Is it the same for a single guy living with his parents as for a married guy with 4 kids? Is it the same for a teenager working for pocket money as for a single mom?

And finally, who decides what is a fair wage? Who is this omnipitant wage setter?

I've asked that question a thousand times here. What is a decent livable wage in America today? I've asked people to put a number on it. Most decline and run as far away from the question as fast as possible. So i'll ask you too. What do you think is a decent livable wage for average Americans? Put a number out there.

You need to explain first what "livable wage" is.

No i don't. I'm asking you personally to put a number out there. What do you think is a decent livable wage for an American Worker today?

It is whatever the worker and employer agree on. No one is forced to work for less than he thinks he is worth.

What do you care? You weren't paying em. They got what they could get. And like i said, if it were left up to Corporate-bootlickers like you, GM Workers would have made McDonalds and Walmart wages. You really should reconsider licking Corporate boots so much. Try standing up for the workin man sometime. Give it a shot.

If you buy a GM car, you are paying them.

I never will. I drive a mercedes and a BMW, both assembled in the USA in non-union factories in the south.

Yes we know, you're proud American Workers are making less than GM Workers made 30yrs ago. Makes perfect sense. Seriously, you really should reconsider your Corporate-bootlicking and greed. You've lost your way.

wrong again. he american blue collar workers in the car factories in the south are making good wage, good benefits, good working conditions, and good retirement programs. They don't need to give any money to the UAW fat cats so they they can sit on their yachts eating fancy meals.

Mercedes, BMW, Subaru, Honda, Toyota, VW, Kia, Mazda, Nissan---------thousands of good paying blue collar american jobs-----------and no fricken union dues. Not only that, but they are putting out excellent products at competitive prices.

Because of the Un-American practice of Outsourcing and hateful greedy Americans, those workers are now making less $$ than their counterparts made 30-40 years ago.

So Congratulations guys! You did it! American Workers are now broke and need Welfare Entitlements just to survive. A resounding success. Thank you. :cuckoo:

Actually, when I was working in Mercedes Tuscaloosa plant, workers there seem pretty happy to me.

You've lost your way son. Listen to yourself sometime. You celebrate American Workers making less than their counterparts made 30yrs ago. You've allowed your hate & greed to consume you.

Not really. I celebrate that I am paid what my work is worth. I could work for any of big three, but apparently they cant afford me.

No, you were giddy with excitement celebrating American Workers making less than their counterparts made 30-40 years ago. All so you could get your car a little cheaper. That's the ultimate in hateful greed. You have lost your way son.

you really need to move on, you have made a complete fool of yourself in this thread. But if you enjoy looking stupid-----continue.

wrong again. he american blue collar workers in the car factories in the south are making good wage, good benefits, good working conditions, and good retirement programs. They don't need to give any money to the UAW fat cats so they they can sit on their yachts eating fancy meals.

Mercedes, BMW, Subaru, Honda, Toyota, VW, Kia, Mazda, Nissan---------thousands of good paying blue collar american jobs-----------and no fricken union dues. Not only that, but they are putting out excellent products at competitive prices.

Because of the Un-American practice of Outsourcing and hateful greedy Americans, those workers are now making less $$ than their counterparts made 30-40 years ago.

So Congratulations guys! You did it! American Workers are now broke and need Welfare Entitlements just to survive. A resounding success. Thank you. :cuckoo:

You might want to ask yourself just why they are being paid less, and this time make sure you step outside your emotion bubble for the answer.

Congratulations guys! You did it! American Workers are now broke and need Welfare Entitlements just to survive. A resounding success. Thank you. :cuckoo:

exactly how is assembling foreign cars in the USA outsourcing? and you are totally full of shit claiming that they make less than UAW workers made 30-40 years ago. that is one of your most stupid claims ever.

Congratulations guys! You did it! American Workers are now broke and need Welfare Entitlements just to survive. A resounding success. Thank you. :cuckoo:

exactly how is assembling foreign cars in the USA outsourcing? and you are totally full of shit claiming that they make less than UAW workers made 30-40 years ago. that is one of your most stupid claims ever.

I've seen this before. Don't expect any change.

Hey enjoy your cars while American Workers suffer. Whatever floats your boat i guess. But don't think for one minute you're a good person. Cause yuze sure ain't.

Hey enjoy your cars while American Workers suffer. Whatever floats your boat i guess. But don't think for one minute you're a good person. Cause yuze sure ain't.

Here's a hint. Make better cars at a better price and they won't be suffering.

I've seen this before. Don't expect any change.

the guy calls himself paulitician, but he is a raving liberal. But liberal lying has been documented many times already.

On average, they make less and have far less benefits. And that's thanks to you guys. Nice job. With friends like you?...

Trust me, you really do want happy & prosperous workers waiting on you in restaurants especially. But happy & prosperous workers make for better workers overall. They're proud of their work and happy to serve.

You never told us how much is a fair wage. Lets say that everyone is doing exactly the same job, how much should they be paid? Is it the same in NYC as in Fargo ND? Is it the same for a single guy living with his parents as for a married guy with 4 kids? Is it the same for a teenager working for pocket money as for a single mom?

And finally, who decides what is a fair wage? Who is this omnipitant wage setter?

I've asked that question a thousand times here. What is a decent livable wage in America today? I've asked people to put a number on it. Most decline and run as far away from the question as fast as possible. So i'll ask you too. What do you think is a decent livable wage for average Americans? Put a number out there.

No i don't. I'm asking you personally to put a number out there. What do you think is a decent livable wage for an American Worker today?

It is whatever the worker and employer agree on. No one is forced to work for less than he thinks he is worth.

True. My last job paid less than this one, and I did not feel like it was worth it - TO ME - to do a job I disliked for that amount of money. But I didn't handle it by demanding that my boss give me a raise simply because I wanted more money, nor did I screw up their business by doing my job badly. I met their standards of adequate performance the whole time I looked for a better job. The sad thing is, when I left, they actually thanked me for continuing to uphold professional standards even though I knew I was leaving. That tells you how few people respect the fact that you should give people the service you promised in exchange for taking the money they promised.

No, the minimum wage isn't forcing these Seattle restaurants to close

Anti-minimum wage conservatives are in full gloat over a recent report in a Seattle magazine that lots of Seattle restaurants have closed lately or are due to close in the next weeks or months.

The conservatives gleefully associate this phenomenon with the coming increase in the city's minimum wage, which kicks in April 1 with a rise to $11 an hour from $9.32. (Employers whose workers earn tips get a break--they can pay $10 if the workers make up at least another dollar from their tips.) The wage hike builds over time; for employers with fewer than 500 workers, which would probably cover every full-service Seattle restaurant, the ultimate increase to $16.49--or $15 for tip earners--doesn't happen until 2021.

avid Watkins of the Lawyers, Guns & Money blog points out that the minimum wage opponents are declaring "We told you so" way too soon. In fact, the article that inspired the gloating doesn't ascribe any of the closings to the minimum wage increase and, indeed, points to different reasons in every case. As for the idea that Seattle restaurants are "closing in record number" (sic), as the Tea Party News Network proclaims, it's just not so.

Here's the rundown. Of the seven restaurants specifically mentioned in Seattle Magazine's March 4 post, one was reported by its owner to be located in the wrong neighborhood for its particular mix of bar space and atmosphere. Another is being offloaded by an owner who has three other restaurants in the city and is opening two more. (A neighboring restaurant is expanding into its space.) A third turned out to be too big for the clientele at its location. Three aren't closing at all, but are getting new chefs because their old boss is moving to Spain to join his partner.

How many owners cited the minimum wage as a factor in their actions? None.

More: No, the minimum wage isn't forcing these Seattle restaurants to close - LA Times

Another Steve_McGarrett lie debunked.

On average, they make less and have far less benefits. And that's thanks to you guys. Nice job. With friends like you?...

Or perhaps their work isn't worth any more. At one time, an assembly line worker WAS incredibly valuable, because without them, none of the cars could be built. Ever seen a modern assembly line? Don't see many guys with no computer skills, wrench in hand, do you?

The High Cost of Low Price. And it's become incredibly costly for American Workers. And now they'll turn to Welfare Entitlements for survival. A wonderful success story. You guys are great. What would we do without you?

The High Cost of Low Price. And it's become incredibly costly for American Workers. And now they'll turn to Welfare Entitlements for survival. A wonderful success story. You guys are great. What would we do without you?

Why do you want to deny the poor a chance at the goods the wealthy take for granted?

No, the minimum wage isn't forcing these Seattle restaurants to close

Anti-minimum wage conservatives are in full gloat over a recent report in a Seattle magazine that lots of Seattle restaurants have closed lately or are due to close in the next weeks or months.

The conservatives gleefully associate this phenomenon with the coming increase in the city's minimum wage, which kicks in April 1 with a rise to $11 an hour from $9.32. (Employers whose workers earn tips get a break--they can pay $10 if the workers make up at least another dollar from their tips.) The wage hike builds over time; for employers with fewer than 500 workers, which would probably cover every full-service Seattle restaurant, the ultimate increase to $16.49--or $15 for tip earners--doesn't happen until 2021.

avid Watkins of the Lawyers, Guns & Money blog points out that the minimum wage opponents are declaring "We told you so" way too soon. In fact, the article that inspired the gloating doesn't ascribe any of the closings to the minimum wage increase and, indeed, points to different reasons in every case. As for the idea that Seattle restaurants are "closing in record number" (sic), as the Tea Party News Network proclaims, it's just not so.

Here's the rundown. Of the seven restaurants specifically mentioned in Seattle Magazine's March 4 post, one was reported by its owner to be located in the wrong neighborhood for its particular mix of bar space and atmosphere. Another is being offloaded by an owner who has three other restaurants in the city and is opening two more. (A neighboring restaurant is expanding into its space.) A third turned out to be too big for the clientele at its location. Three aren't closing at all, but are getting new chefs because their old boss is moving to Spain to join his partner.

How many owners cited the minimum wage as a factor in their actions? None.

More: No, the minimum wage isn't forcing these Seattle restaurants to close - LA Times

Another Steve_McGarrett lie debunked.

If you're closing your business due to higher wages, you were already headed that way anyway. It was meant to be. Gotta thin the herd. Only the strong survive.

Minimum wage hikes won't solve these problems.

Everyone is forced to work for less than he or she thinks they're worth.

You assuming a lot, since I haven't said any of that.

And I am ok with what I am paying for my car, so I don't know why are you worrying about it.

Forum List

Back