Breitbart, Fox and Their Rush To Judgement

Google Black Theology Trimity Church Cohn. Rev Wright may just be the most famous follower but I'm certain this hate can be found in any number of churches on any given Sunday.

Not really pertinent to this thread, but its an eye opener. Racism is alive and well in many black communities. Educate yourself.

But, if you are an average American, you have been in many other shoes. And you may still feel anger and residual resentment at various experiences of unfairness or injustice that you have experienced in your lifetime.

I have honestly not experienced any major injustices or unfairness - not to the level I described. What I have experienced is petty in comparison and while upsetting - did not limit the choices I could make, or curtail the course of my life. I can feel anger at the things that were done during segregation for example - but how can I truely understand what it is to be powerless and second class, to grow up that way? I don't think I can unless I've lived it.

But you aren't on your soapbox preaching that others must share your anger, that others must share your resentment, that others share your demands for retribution, that others share your contempt for certain people even in cases where past wrongs have been corrected as much as possible.

True, but you forget - Wright is a preacher, and his fire and brimstone anger is very much a preacher's style. Is it much different than mainstream Evangelical leaders preaching the evils of homosexuals, or the liberals with anger and emotion? Distasteful and to be condemned, yes.

You aren't capitalizing on your anger for the purposes of increasing your own success, glory, power, prestige, or profit. You aren't doing your damnest to stir up anger where none exists or trying to keep hate and resentment alive and well.

And THAT is the difference between you and the Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

I see your point, and agree - but in fairness to Wright, have any of us listened to more than a handful of particularly inflammatory speeches posted on the internet? I haven't. I don't like the man - largely because I hate the hypocrisy of many of these Evangelical preachers who tend to preach hate (whether it's to homosexuals or racial) and get rich off of it. Their lifestyle and wealth is based on the contributions of their followers and rather than being turned back to their community, only seems to enrich themselves.

I don't see it in Reverend Wright.

Sorry. I spelled Cone's name wrong:

Cone’s view is that Jesus was black, which he felt was a very important view of black people to see. "It's very important because you've got a lot of white images of Christ. In reality, Christ was not white, not European. That's important to the psychic and to the spiritual consciousness of black people who live in a ghetto and in a white society in which their lord and savior looks just like people who victimize them. God is whatever color God needs to be in order to let people know they're not nobodies, they're somebodies." [15]

[edit] Stylistic differences in the Black religious community

Because of the differences in thought between the black and white community, most black religious leaders attempt to make their services more accessible to other African-Americans, who must identify with the faith in order to accept it. Another notable difference is Cone's suggestion as to what must occur if there is not reconcilition among the white community. He states, "Whether the American system is beyond redemption we will have to wait and see. But we can be certain that black patience has run out, and unless white America responds positively to the theory and activity of Black Power, then a bloody, protracted civil war is inevitable." [Black Theology and Black Power, Page 143] [10]

Trinity United Church of Christ, Chicago is the church most frequently cited by press accounts, and by Cone as the best example of a church formally founded on the vision of Black liberation of theology.[17] This theology has recently become a matter of national debate as intense condemnation by the U.S. mainstream media of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the most visible exponent of the theology[18], forced Senator Barack Obama to distance himself from his former pastor[19]

Black liberation theology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see it in Reverend Wright.

Sorry. I spelled Cone's name wrong:

Cone’s view is that Jesus was black, which he felt was a very important view of black people to see. "It's very important because you've got a lot of white images of Christ. In reality, Christ was not white, not European. That's important to the psychic and to the spiritual consciousness of black people who live in a ghetto and in a white society in which their lord and savior looks just like people who victimize them. God is whatever color God needs to be in order to let people know they're not nobodies, they're somebodies." [15]

[edit] Stylistic differences in the Black religious community

Because of the differences in thought between the black and white community, most black religious leaders attempt to make their services more accessible to other African-Americans, who must identify with the faith in order to accept it. Another notable difference is Cone's suggestion as to what must occur if there is not reconcilition among the white community. He states, "Whether the American system is beyond redemption we will have to wait and see. But we can be certain that black patience has run out, and unless white America responds positively to the theory and activity of Black Power, then a bloody, protracted civil war is inevitable." [Black Theology and Black Power, Page 143] [10]

Trinity United Church of Christ, Chicago is the church most frequently cited by press accounts, and by Cone as the best example of a church formally founded on the vision of Black liberation of theology.[17] This theology has recently become a matter of national debate as intense condemnation by the U.S. mainstream media of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the most visible exponent of the theology[18], forced Senator Barack Obama to distance himself from his former pastor[19]

Black liberation theology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have no problem conceiving of God as black or of blacks being empowered.

"What is the goal of a black theology of liberation? Is it a society in which blacks are given special treatment and rights? No. All Black theologians are asking for is for freedom and justice. No more, and no less."

Many whites, myself included, can be put off by advocates of a black theology of liberation. We would much prefer the approach of Martin Luther King, Jr. because his approach was the least threatening to the white power structure, and to our own understanding of ourselves. Many whites identified with him precisely because he did not challenge their own racism directly, and allowed them to assuage their own sense of guilt with little or no risk.

But I would be willing to contend that if the great chasm that separates the races in this nation is to ever be bridged, it will require that we bring to the discussion something more than good intentions, or pious words about making sure everyone is treated with equity. Not only will we have to bring to the conversation a willingness to try to understand the pain African-Americans feel, but we will also have to recognize that we are so intimately involved in a racist system, that we are often oblivious to the degree that we have caused or continue to cause that pain.

Perhaps the real test of whether whites can communicate with blacks as human beings is not what we might say to a Colin Powell, who--like King--does not challenge whites to confront their racism, but rather how we choose to respond to a Louis Farrakhan who challenges us in ways we would prefer not to be challenged.
http://www.wfu.edu/~matthetl/perspectives/twentyseven.html

Last edited:
I just don't see Reverend Wright as racist.

I think its stuff like this that make people judge him as racist. (skip up to about 1:20 ish)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc2FCJ7zWEQ]YouTube - Barack Obama Pastor Jeremiah Wright NEW TAPES!!!![/ame]

And, quite possibly he is a racist. However - all we've ever been shown is a handful of tapes - showing selected and highly inflammatory portions of selected sermons, and we judge them on that without knowing the context. I'm always uncomfortable with judgements based on that alone.

That would make sense, but is nearly impossible in a society where false charges of racism are hurled at every opportunity by not only race baiters like Sharpton but those "white guilt ridden" lefties who protest school children eating fried chicken on MLK day. :cuckoo:

That would make sense, but is nearly impossible in a society where false charges of racism are hurled at every opportunity by not only race baiters like Sharpton but those "white guilt ridden" lefties who protest school children eating fried chicken on MLK day. :cuckoo:

....and what about false charges of racism hurled by the rightwing at Obama administration, or Michelle Obama for speaking to black school kids and referencing race, or by the Tea Party movement and Breitbart fanclub?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back