Brittany Maynard ended her own life before her tumor could rob her of it

"Christian law" ... :laugh2:

When ignorance goes to ten bucks a barrel I want drilling rights on Kurtz s head.

I'm not christian.

Your words are fine for YOU but don't even try to force your words or beliefs on anyone else.

Don't care if she decided to be Christian or not....but she no doubt heard the Word....if she didn't heed it then her fate is sealed. Same for you.....take it or leave it....it's your eternity at stake.

The founding fathers were careful to make sure that no religion ruled this nation.

That is why religious based laws are unconstitutional.

No, I am not a christian. Even when I was, I fought to make sure people had a choice of whether or not they wanted to live by christianity's rules. I was still a christian when I worked to oppose Roy Moore's placement of the 10 Commandment monument in the Alabama Supreme Court lobby.

A "former Christian" are ya? Couldn't hack it so you quit....sounds familiar. Of course you're also wrong about the Founders' intentions but that's also par for the course. Any set of laws is based on simple morality....not situation ethics like your crowd favors. Something wrong is always wrong even if the outcome is popular at the moment. All religions believe in basically the same principles of behavior despite efforts by their zealots to bastardize the rules. And you may think you're "enlightened" but remember this....you've given up on God but He likely hasn't given up on you....I'd suggest you think about your decisions while you still have time.

Couldn't hack it? lmao Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.

Yes, certain things are wrong. But there are also times when the situation does make a difference.

A person wanting to commit suicide because their girlfriend or boyfriend broke up with them is wrong. But someone wanting to commit suicide to avoid the horrors that their terminal disease will bring them is not wrong. Using your religious beliefs to stop them is what is wrong.

I'm not christian.

Your words are fine for YOU but don't even try to force your words or beliefs on anyone else.

Don't care if she decided to be Christian or not....but she no doubt heard the Word....if she didn't heed it then her fate is sealed. Same for you.....take it or leave it....it's your eternity at stake.

And, once again, any god who demands that his followers undergo the horrors that faced this woman, without the hope of any cure or respite, just to satisfy his own "rules" is nothing more than a petty and cruel deity. And since your god has not actually spoken, you have no way of knowing what he wants or doesn't want. Using your book to rule the lives of those who do not believe in it is simply wrong. It is morally wrong and unconstitutional. But if you ever have a loved one in this woman's shoes, I hope you can live with your decisions.

A decision like that is totally emotionally based, which usually makes it suspect. Good luck taking it back.

Which is why it is called physician assisted suicide. There is a doctor involved.
Terminally Ill Woman Brittany Maynard Has Ended Her Own Life - Cancer Health Medicine Real People Stories People.com

This young woman is the new face of physician assisted suicide. Those wishing to avoid the worst, last stages of cancer can move to Oregon and decide their own fate.

I hope she has found peace.

Oregon isn't the only state that has that law.

So does Washington.

I was unaware of that. Thanks.

It was on the ballot in the bush boy years. It passed. I voted in the majority.

I can tell you, if the cancer returns to my body and there's no way to stop it, I'm not going to suffer the evil of cancer.

I will take advantage of that law.

if it were only about pain, you might have a point. But this tumor also brings about siezures, memory loss, loss of bowel control, headaches, nausea, vomiting, loss of, or difficulty with speech and more.

This tumor had nothing to do with any lifestyle choice she made. If your God has no mercy for someone avoiding the pain and indignity of such an illness, then you are welcome to worship him. I would not.

No "might" about it.....our lives are given to us and we have no right to throw them away. You can't intellectualize Christian law and expect to find mercy on Judgement Day. Either you're a Christian or you're not....either you follow the rules or you don't and pay the price....NO EXCEPTIONS.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but with no sarcasm I ask for some clarity;

god afflicts/allows (in this case) a disease that is painful, debilitating and fatal to grow in a person but the only way she can get to heaven is to die a horribly tortured death where she loses all conscious control of herself and would have to be kept "alive" artificially?

What about "do not resuscitate" orders on terminal patients? If they CAN be kept alive by resuscitation, SHOULDN'T they? ..or do they just not go to heaven either?
what about the doctors/nurses? if they're chrisitian, do they have an obligation to save someone's life who would die without their intervention in order to prevent them from not going to heaven?

thanks for your time

Yes, certain things are wrong. But there are also times when the situation does make a difference.

A person wanting to commit suicide because their girlfriend or boyfriend broke up with them is wrong. But someone wanting to commit suicide to avoid the horrors that their terminal disease will bring them is not wrong. Using your religious beliefs to stop them is what is wrong.

That's right...couldn't HACK it....so you quit. And don't flatter yourself...I couldn't care less what you believe or don't believe....no skin off my nose where your soul ends up. And once again....you don't get to make up the rules over what that girl to herself any more than I do. My beliefs are over 2,000 years old....yours come from a pack of idiots high on dope in the 1960's. My rules have stood the test of time....take a look around and tell me yours survived the 1970s.

Last edited:
if it were only about pain, you might have a point. But this tumor also brings about siezures, memory loss, loss of bowel control, headaches, nausea, vomiting, loss of, or difficulty with speech and more.

This tumor had nothing to do with any lifestyle choice she made. If your God has no mercy for someone avoiding the pain and indignity of such an illness, then you are welcome to worship him. I would not.

No "might" about it.....our lives are given to us and we have no right to throw them away. You can't intellectualize Christian law and expect to find mercy on Judgement Day. Either you're a Christian or you're not....either you follow the rules or you don't and pay the price....NO EXCEPTIONS.

god afflicts/allows (in this case) a disease that is painful, debilitating and fatal to grow in a person but the only way they can get to heaven is to die a horribly tortured death where she loses all conscious control of herself and would have to be kept "alive" artificially?

What about "do not resuscitate" orders on terminal patients? If they CAN be kept alive by resuscitation, SHOULDN'T they? ..or do they just not go to heaven either?
what about the doctors/nurses? if they're chrisitian, do they have an obligation to save someone's life who would die without their intervention in order to prevent them from not going to heaven?

thanks for your time
"Can" be kept alive is a far cry from allowing one to simply die.

Suicide is an all together different matter.

god afflicts/allows (in this case) a disease that is painful, debilitating and fatal to grow in a person but the only way she can get to heaven is to die a horribly tortured death where she loses all conscious control of herself and would have to be kept "alive" artificially?

thanks for your time

Well, I'm not a cleric or a priest but I guess today I'm a preacher. :laugh: Seems to me that people today have forgotten they have a soul and it's their most precious possession. If one believes in God, they must also believe there is a Devil and IMO that's the rotten bastard who brings us pain and suffering. Of course it's alright to deny physical pain with medications....I'd never dispute that. But when the body can no longer live on it's own, why cheat a noble death? Let go....God will catch ya. But not by your own hand or in your own time....that's cheating and as far as I know, a mortal sin.

That's right...couldn't HACK it....so you quit. And don't flatter yourself...I couldn't care less what you believe or don't believe....no skin off my nose where your soul ends up. And once again....you don't get to make up the rules over what that girl to herself any more than I do. My beliefs are over 2,000 years old....yours come from a pack of idiots high on dope in the 1960's. My rules have stood the test of time....take a look around and tell me your survived the 1970s.

Stood the test of time? lmao

Let me help you out.

Your King James version of the bible was completed in 1611 by 8 members of the Church of England.

There are no original texts to translate. The oldest manuscripts were written hundreds of years after the last apostle died.

There are over 8,000 old manuscripts, and none of them are exactly alike.

The King James translators used, not the 8,000+ oldest manuscripts, but previous translations of them to create a version that the king and parliament would approve.

So the rules you claim are "holy" are based, not on direct teachings, but is a book edited in the 17th century from 16th century translations of 8,000 contradictory copies of 4th century scrolls that claimed to be copies of lost letters written in the 1st century.

And since you do not know what I believe, your claims that they come from people in the 1960s is simply an attempt to make yourself feel better.

Terminally Ill Woman Brittany Maynard Has Ended Her Own Life - Cancer Health Medicine Real People Stories People.com

This young woman is the new face of physician assisted suicide. Those wishing to avoid the worst, last stages of cancer can move to Oregon and decide their own fate.

I hope she has found peace.

Yes, she made a decision while she still had the free will to end her suffering her way. Such a sad story. Such a brave woman. I would do the same and am glad I live in Oregon. And yes, one can move here to take advantage of our law. Anyone with a diagnosed terminal condition, in which two medical doctors and one psychologist agree the patient has 6 months to live, can take advantage of this law. One condition is the patient has to be able to take the medication and swallow it without any assistance of any kind.Trick is to find a doctor who will write the prescription for the toxic dose.

Death with Dignity Act

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
On October 27, 1997 Oregon enacted the Death with Dignity Act which allows terminally-ill Oregonians to end their lives through the voluntary self-administration of lethal medications, expressly prescribed by a physician for that purpose. The Oregon Death with Dignity Act requires the Oregon Health Authority to collect information about the patients and physicians who participate in the Act, and publish an annual statistical report.

That's right...couldn't HACK it....so you quit. And don't flatter yourself...I couldn't care less what you believe or don't believe....no skin off my nose where your soul ends up. And once again....you don't get to make up the rules over what that girl to herself any more than I do. My beliefs are over 2,000 years old....yours come from a pack of idiots high on dope in the 1960's. My rules have stood the test of time....take a look around and tell me your survived the 1970s.

Let me help you out.

Your King James version of the bible was completed in 1611 by 8 members of the Church of England.

There are no original texts to translate. The oldest manuscripts were written hundreds of years after the last apostle died.

The King James translators used, not the 8,000+ oldest manuscripts, but previous translations of them to create a version that the king and parliament would approve.

So the rules you claim are "holy" are based, not on direct teachings, but is a book edited in the 17th century from 16th century translations of 8,000 contradictory copies of 4th century scrolls that claimed to be copies of lost letters written in the 1st century.

And since you do not know what I believe, your claims that they come from people in the 1960s is simply an attempt to make yourself feel better.

Blah blah blah.....like an old fella down the street used to tell us kids....you can go to your college, you can go to your school, but if you ain't got Jesus you're an educated fool....that's all.

Are we Americans living in a secular society, or are you espousing Christian Sharia?

There's nothing "sharia" about Christian law, asshole....no Christian wants to behead you for drinking a beer or laughing at God. Take a look where our "secular society" has gotten us. You can scream at me but I didn't make the rules or always follow them until I got the Word. If you knew anything about my life you'd know only God could have saved me from death so many times. Comes a point in every person's life they take stock of their close calls....some call it luck but I know better.
But imposing "Christian" values as a matter of law is, in fact, no different than those who want to impose Sharia law. We do not legislate from the Bible. We legislate from the consent of the governed.

And you played the 'asshole' card pretty quickly for someone who claims to be Christian.

thanks for your time

Well, I'm not a cleric or a priest but I guess today I'm a preacher. :laugh: Seems to me that people today have forgotten they have a soul and it's their most precious possession. If one believes in God, they must also believe there is a Devil and IMO that's the rotten bastard who brings us pain and suffering. Of course it's alright to deny physical pain with medications....I'd never dispute that. But when the body can no longer live on it's own, why cheat a noble death? Let go....God will catch ya. But not by your own hand or in your own time....that's cheating and as far as I know, a mortal sin.

Ok..thanks..that's a good, honest, general answer.
I was curious if a person, knowing they would suffer a long and progressively worse and more painful disease and they may even reduce to a vegetative state where they were no longer in control of their body/mind and knew they would linger for days/weeks/months in that condition...

The only way for a person in that condition to get to heaven is to allow all that to happen to them?

...and for argument's sake let's assume no miracle cure for her specific cancer is forthcoming..and no sudden "miracle" occurs where the tumor inexplicably starts shrinking and she returns to full health...

Let me help you out.

Blah blah blah.....like an old fella down the street used to tell us kids....you can go to your college, you can go to your school, but if you ain't got Jesus you're an educated fool....that's all.

You cling to your beliefs. I have no problem with that. But when you demand that your beliefs govern those of us who do not share them, I will oppose you and win.

Believe as one wants, for that is the American way.

I have no trouble, as a professed believing Christian, with Brittany's choice.

I was curious if a person, knowing they would suffer a long and progressively worse and more painful disease and they may even reduce to a vegetative state where they were no longer in control of their body/mind and knew they would linger for days/weeks/months in that condition...

The only way for a person in that condition to get to heaven is to allow all that to happen to them?

...and for argument's sake let's assume no miracle cure for her specific cancer is forthcoming..and no sudden "miracle" occurs where the tumor inexplicably starts shrinking and she returns to full health...

I believe there is a way out of that situation without a problem....and that would be to float yourself out on an iceberg like the Eskimos do or simply walk into the woods or mountains and let nature (God) decide your end. I always figured if I had a terminal disease that would lead to a disgusting end, I'd steal a Ducati super bike and head out on the Phoenix freeways WFO (wide fucking open) knowing a car or a guardrail might bring about my end but not deciding which one for myself. And if I got into the mountains without being killed, I'd return the bike to it's rightful owner and make a better plan. :eusa_doh:

I believe there is a way out of that situation without a problem....and that would be to float yourself out on an iceberg like the Eskimos do or simply walk into the woods or mountains and let nature (God) decide your end. I always figured if I had a terminal disease that would lead to a disgusting end, I'd steal a Ducati super bike and head out on the Phoenix freeways WFO (wide fucking open) knowing a car or a guardrail might bring about my end but not deciding which one for myself. And if I got into the mountains without being killed, I'd return the bike to it's rightful owner and make a better plan. :eusa_doh:

More good, honest answers. Thanks for the time.

Forum List

Back