Zone1 Buddhist and Catholic, priests and theologians practice ‘double belonging’

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
In a dimly lit Roman Catholic church in Manhattan, a dozen or so congregants sit as the Rev. Michael Holleran leads them in contemplative prayer. There is some singing, and some prayers said aloud throughout the hour-and-a-half-long worship service. Every so often Holleran rings a bell three times, meant to awaken worshippers from “sleep and into a consciousness of God’s presence.”

But the core of the session is the repetition of a word of each participant’s own choosing — many choose “peace,” “love” or “truth.” If their mind wanders, they are instructed to return to the word.

This form of prayer is often compared to meditation, due to the silent repetition and the focus required. Though contemplative prayer has ancient roots in Christianity, Holleran takes inspiration from the longer tradition of Buddhism — fittingly, since in addition to being a Catholic priest, Holleran is a Buddhist sensei.

I thought Buddhism was a philosophy and not a religion.

In a dimly lit Roman Catholic church in Manhattan, a dozen or so congregants sit as the Rev. Michael Holleran leads them in contemplative prayer. There is some singing, and some prayers said aloud throughout the hour-and-a-half-long worship service. Every so often Holleran rings a bell three times, meant to awaken worshippers from “sleep and into a consciousness of God’s presence.”

But the core of the session is the repetition of a word of each participant’s own choosing — many choose “peace,” “love” or “truth.” If their mind wanders, they are instructed to return to the word.

This form of prayer is often compared to meditation, due to the silent repetition and the focus required. Though contemplative prayer has ancient roots in Christianity, Holleran takes inspiration from the longer tradition of Buddhism — fittingly, since in addition to being a Catholic priest, Holleran is a Buddhist sensei.

peace isnt a christian thing...remember when Jesus beat hell out of the money changers in the temple...he was like fuck turn the other cheek, Im kicking their punk asses

peace isnt a christian thing...remember when Jesus beat hell out of the money changers in the temple...he was like fuck turn the other cheek, Im kicking their punk asses
You should not confuse your own agressivity "beat hell out of the money changers" with the tables Jesus overturned in his temple. What would you do when someone installs a public water closet in the middle of the living room of your house and many people come and make "their business" there?

Buddhism is considered a religion, but it can be described as a philosophical religion.

Catholicism includes a sense of time and history that is of less importance in Buddhism. Catholicism teaches about a beginning and an end, and teaches about a historical perspective, while Buddhism's history and the concept of time are of less significance. Buddhism attempts to transcend time.

This man's approach of combining two major religions leads to understanding that the religions share a common core.

Another might extend that to more religions — even all religions — by focusing more on their pursuit of harmony with Truth and less on the distinctive details and rituals of the practices.

Yet another can even take this universalist approach further and acknowledge that all religions are pursuing Truth as are disciplines like academic philosophy and science, and by doing so remain less attached to any one practice in order to be more objective.

Last edited:

a lot of Catholics went nuts after Vatican II

I blame Vat II for just about every damn thing wrong in the Church from the pedophilia problem to rude priests and unorthodox priests and nuns..

Fortunately, Jesus said that (my words) even Catholics will not be allowed to destroy the Church. (Mt 1618) The Real Presence of Christ (a tangible, physical reality) is still there in the Churches (although "it" seems stronger in some as opposed to others). I hope people avail themselves of that., and ignore all the anti-Christ stuff.

Catholicism includes a sense of time and history that is of less importance in Buddhism.
I have absolutely NO idea what that is supposed to mean!

It actually makes so sense. If you are saying it is of lesser importance than Buddhism.. you are wrong as hell. The CAtholic Church is the one founded by Christ himself..

Buddha didn't die on any cross for anyone.. never claimed to be God

I have absolutely NO idea what that is supposed to mean!

It actually makes so sense. If you are saying it is of lesser importance than Buddhism.. you are wrong as hell. The CAtholic Church is the one founded by Christ himself..

Buddha didn't die on any cross for anyone.. never claimed to be God
I didn't say Catholicism, or Christianity, is of lesser importance than Buddhism, gwass hoppa. I was referring to the teachings of historical events within periods of time, found in both the Old Testament and the New Testament, which are emphasized more than historical events are in Buddhism.

It's a philosophy. I don't have a problem with "double belonging". I do think it's odd that it has shifted to religion.
Siddhārtha Gautama was a Hindu reformist. He believed that Hinduism had become fettered. Theology, ritual, authority, grace, mystery and tradition are components of religion. He believed they had become overbalanced. Where the form had replaced the meaning. He didn't reject them. He rejected the imbalance. He was a called the rebel child of Hinduism.

Siddhārtha Gautama was a Hindu reformist. He believed that Hinduism had become fettered. Theology, ritual, authority, grace, mystery and tradition are components of religion. He believed they had become overbalanced. Where the form had replaced the meaning. He didn't reject them. He rejected the imbalance. He was a called the rebel child of Hinduism.
Dude sure had a negative view about life. 😕
Sid's perspective was itself unbalanced.

Lao Tsu was better balanced. ☯️

Last edited:

I'm not going to lie. I'm not watching a video.

Forum List

Back