Budgets and Spending the People's Money

At the federal level, check all that should apply

• Zero base budgeting must be the rule.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Baseline budgeting is the only way to go.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All earmarks must be passed as stand alone bills.

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • All earmark bills passed must be available for public inspection.

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Other and I'll explain in my post

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
President Richard Milhouse Nixon got a lot done before he was forced to resign in disgrace over the Watergate scandal cover up--an offense that would be pretty much shrugged off almost four decades later. He was able to finally begin disengaging us from Vietnam, made great strides on the international front to open up new markets for American goods and services, and he signed the EPA into law as well as the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, and the Marine Mammal Protection Act.

But then in 1974, before he resigned that same year, he gave us the Congressional Budget Office and the Congressional Budget Act that, among other things, took the U.S. government from zero base budgeting to a baseline budget system.

What is zero base budgeting you say? It is each department head starting with a blank page, figuring out what they need to operate in the coming year, and submitting a budget they were required to defend, line by line, before the final budget was prepared for a congressional vote. A large expenditure in the existing budget that would not be repeated in the coming budget year would not be included in the new budget. A department head and his under secretaries were recognized and praised for frugality and saving the taxpayer money.

What is baseline budgeting you say? The department head looks at how much money they spent the previous twelve months, adds a percentage for inflation and population growth, and turns it in. Needless to say, there is now every incentive for the department head and those under him/her to spend every penny they are authorized to spend and then some so that they can continue to increase their budget. There is no recognition, reward or incentive to save the people's money.

I propose we go back to zero base budgeting along with a requirement that the department heads defend each line item on their budget requests.

Further anything above and beyond the bare bones budget necessary for the department to operate would have to be considered by Congress as a single item all by itself in a single bill with a straight up and down vote and be accessible for public inspection. Thus there could be no more hiding any form of pork, earmarks, grants, or any other form of government benevolence or incentives in any appropriations bill, and no congressional person could change his/her vote once the vote is recorded.

Who among us will agree? Or disagree?

Military goods
Nasa's good
NOAA is good
EPA is good within "reason". Do you understand how dirty the air and rivers were in the 1950's? Sure go ahead and support the state and not the national...But you'd be nuts to think it hasn't done good. The clean water and air acts were GOOD!

Certainly education and healthcare should be a local issues. Any first world nation must have the above.

How about funding our science programs and ending the wars?

Last edited:
we went from zero to basic increases b/c congress can't be bothered

its kinda funny. every year I was in the Navy, we got new equipment, much of it had to be stored b/c we could never use that much, some was "replacements" and some was just completely useless crap that we had to have.

we went from zero to basic increases b/c congress can't be bothered

its kinda funny. every year I was in the Navy, we got new equipment, much of it had to be stored b/c we could never use that much, some was "replacements" and some was just completely useless crap that we had to have.

Oh believe me, I have worked in organizations that used baseline budgeting and you spend every penny on something whether you need it or not. Otherwise, it is a given they will cut your budget.

Matthew, I don't see anything in the OP related to WHAT government programs are or are not good. The questions are related to how the budget process is done. What do you think about that?

LL, WHY is everything following 'further' fantasy? How can a proposal for a change in policy be fantasy?

The incentive to cut, save, or limit expenditures for essential support and maintenance has been lost in the halls of congress, now what we have is 100% deployed allocation in the attempt to maintain prior years budget funding. Listen to incumbent political ads and what you hear repeatedly is that they brought home the bacon. Some day you will see line item veto legislation enacted, adopted only out of realized necessity. One preliminary step would be to restrict and limit all budget initiatives to be subject specific. Oh well one con only dream!

The incentive to cut, save, or limit expenditures for essential support and maintenance has been lost in the halls of congress, now what we have is 100% deployed allocation in the attempt to maintain prior years budget funding. Listen to incumbent political ads and what you hear repeatedly is that they brought home the bacon. Some day you will see line item veto legislation enacted, adopted only out of realized necessity. One preliminary step would be to restrict and limit all budget initiatives to be subject specific. Oh well one con only dream!

We did 100% allocation in the military 30 years ago. It's nothing new, even local and state govts. do it.

But the question is, just because we have done it now for 39 years, is that a good reason to keep doing it? The debt clock is running at billions of new red ink every day that goes by. When is enough enough and it is time to start reversing the process?

Is "everybody does it" a good argument for anything?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back