Bullying does not lead to suicide

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I have said this before, and will say it again, the problem is not that teens are bullies, the problem is that some of them need help they are not getting.

All suicides are tragic and complicated. And teen suicides are particularly devastating because as adults we recognize all that lost potential.
Yet, in perpetuating these stories, which are often little more than emotional linkbait, journalists are complicit in a gross oversimplification of a complicated phenomenon. In short, we’re getting the facts wrong.
The common narrative goes like this: Mean kids, usually the most popular and powerful, single out and relentlessly bully a socially weaker classmate in a systemic and calculated way, which then drives the victim into a darkness where he or she sees no alternative other than committing suicide.
And yet experts – those who study suicide, teen behavior and the dynamics of cyber interactions of teens – all say that the facts are rarely that simple. And by repeating this inaccurate story over and over, journalists are harming the public’s ability to understand the dynamics of both bullying and suicide.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/...-on-the-rise-and-it-does-not-lead-to-suicide/

I disagree with you, Quantum. There is sufficient evidence to prove that bullying can lead the victim to suicide and therefore the answer is to make it a zero tolerance policy in schools / on school buses - social media - on the matter of bullying. If they can do that for guns? They can do it for bullies who are every bit as dangerous left unchecked.

- Jeri

I have said this before, and will say it again, the problem is not that teens are bullies, the problem is that some of them need help they are not getting.

All suicides are tragic and complicated. And teen suicides are particularly devastating because as adults we recognize all that lost potential.
Yet, in perpetuating these stories, which are often little more than emotional linkbait, journalists are complicit in a gross oversimplification of a complicated phenomenon. In short, we’re getting the facts wrong.
The common narrative goes like this: Mean kids, usually the most popular and powerful, single out and relentlessly bully a socially weaker classmate in a systemic and calculated way, which then drives the victim into a darkness where he or she sees no alternative other than committing suicide.
And yet experts – those who study suicide, teen behavior and the dynamics of cyber interactions of teens – all say that the facts are rarely that simple. And by repeating this inaccurate story over and over, journalists are harming the public’s ability to understand the dynamics of both bullying and suicide.

Bullying is not on the rise and it does not lead to suicide | Poynter.

Suicide is a mental and emotional problem which is not caused by bullying, IMO. There are many factors involved in the suicidal person

So I guess bullying should be accepted and those who were in such a bad place because of it..
Well tough shit.
They should have just accepted it and it's their fault they just weren't tough enough.

I disagree with you, Quantum. There is sufficient evidence to prove that bullying can lead the victim to suicide and therefore the answer is to make it a zero tolerance policy in schools / on school buses - social media - on the matter of bullying. If they can do that for guns? They can do it for bullies who are every bit as dangerous left unchecked.

- Jeri

There is no evidence that supports that, other than the cops claiming that some suicides are caused by bullying so that they can make people feel guilty.

So I guess bullying should be accepted and those who were in such a bad place because of it..
Well tough shit.
They should have just accepted it and it's their fault they just weren't tough enough.

Take a poll and find out how many people were bullied in their life. Fuck, I saw a story about an NFL lineman that walked off the team because he was being bullied. I can guarantee you that he was not the only person on the team that got bullied, his problems, whatever they are, have nothing to do with bullying.

NFLPA probes Dolphins about Jonathan Martin bullying, source tells FOX Sports Insider Alex Marvez - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

I am not saying that bullying is not a problem, just that it is stupid to blame it for everything that goes wrong.

except that bullying DOES lead to suicide. It does not matter was the individual bullied to death vulnerable otherwise - he/she obviously WAS and it is not up for the ignorant reporter as the one who had written this shitty article to decide what leads and what does not lead to suicide.

NUMEROUS studies had proven that bullying and cyber bullying in particular do lead to increased suicide possibility, yet the ignorant stupid and arrogant journalist will state otherwise, not even bothering to educate itself on the subject :evil:

Most of the studies that have examined the association between bullying and
suicidality have been cross-sectional. Those studies show that bullying behavior
in youth is associated with depression, suicidal ideation, and suicide attempts.
These associations have been found in elementary school, middle school, and
high school students. Moreover, victims of bullying consistently exhibit more
depressive symptoms than nonvictims; they have high levels of suicidal ideation
and are more likely to attempt suicide than nonvictims.

BMC Psychiatry | Full text | The association between bullying and early stages of suicidal ideation in late adolescents in Greece
Victims of bullying behavior were more likely to express suicidal ideation. This association was particularly strong for those who were bullied on a weekly basis and it was independent of the presence of psychiatric morbidity( sic!!!!!) (Odds Ratio: 7.78; 95% Confidence Interval: 3.05 - 19.90). In contrast, being a perpetrator ("bullying others") was not associated with this type of ideation after adjustment. These findings were similar in both boys and girls, although the population impact of victimization in the prevalence of suicidal ideation was potentially higher for boys.
Conclusions

The strong cross-sectional association between frequent victimization and suicidal ideation in late adolescence offers an opportunity for identifying pupils in the school setting that are in a higher risk for exhibiting suicidal ideation.

Youth who experienced traditional bullying or cyberbullying, as either an offender or a victim, had more suicidal thoughts and were more likely to attempt suicide than those who had not experienced such forms of peer aggression. Also, victimization was more strongly related to suicidal thoughts and behaviors than offending. The findings provide further evidence that adolescent peer aggression must be taken seriously both at school and at home, and suggest that a suicide prevention and intervention component is essential within comprehensive bullying response programs implemented in schools.

Suicide - Sandra Giddens, Linda Bickerstaff - Google Books
http://www.abusewatch.net/Bullying and Suicide.pdf
An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Last edited:

- Jeri

There is no evidence that supports that, other than the cops claiming that some suicides are caused by bullying so that they can make people feel guilty.

yes, THERE IS. There are tons of SCIENTIFIC evidence.

what cops claim is irrelevant.

NUMEROUS studies prove the DIRECT link between the suicide and bullying.
the ones I have provided the links to are only the first few in the tens of pages with links in google scholar

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/...-on-the-rise-and-it-does-not-lead-to-suicide/

Piss poor, 2 income parenting leads to teen suicide.

I was a latch key kid, we moved, often, so I was perpetually the new kid, that was from the wrong place.

The 's' in Illinois is silent, it's pronounced Missouri not mizzurah.

I learned at 14, that if you brutally fuck up one person that picked on you, you never have to fight again, the other outsiders want to hang with you, and they really are the best people, and some of the popular hot chicks will date you on the side, due to your bad boy creds.

I was an outsider b/c my parents weren't around alot, but I knew to stand up for myself b/c when they were around, they were being parents and not my friends.

liberalism has killed the family unit.
Killed the idea of standing up for yourself.
leaving some kids with the idea that the only way out is death.

For 10,000 + years, families did it the right way, then liberals decided they knew better.

It's difficult to understand how bullying alone could lead someone into taking their own life.
IMO that person was mentally unhealthy already.

Bullying is an issue now? Dealing with bullies used to just be part of growing up and cyber-bullying...what is that? Whatever happened to sticks and stones may break my bones? People who run their mouth and don't back it up physically used to be laughed at and ridiculed but now they're dangerous cyber-bullies? Sack up and deal with it. Anyone who lives in a school district where bullying even cracks the top 20 on the list of things to deal with should thank God everyday that they live in a place that doesn't have any serious problems to deal with.

Don't even suggest that the federal government can offer better help to a troubled teen than his parents. There is a extensively played glitzy radio commercial sponsored by the federal government about first aid for heart attacks. Maybe you heard it, it starts with "300 hands playing Motzart". The dumb asses in the federal government recommend that "any time an adult collapses you need to press hard and fast on his/her chest". Sound good? The problem is that there are a hundred reasons that might cause an adult to collapse other than a heart attack and pressing hard and fast on his chest might cause his heart to fibrillate and cause a heart attack. The point is that the federal government is too big and too stupid to take over the responsibility of administering to teenagers who might be victims of bullying. The radical left loves the concept of bullying because it advances the deviant political agenda.

It's difficult to understand how bullying alone could lead someone into taking their own life.

nope. mental state does not matter - as studies show.

Victims of bullying behavior were more likely to express suicidal ideation. This association was particularly strong for those who were bullied on a weekly basis and it was independent of the presence of psychiatric morbidity
(link above)

Last edited:
except that bullying DOES lead to suicide. It does not matter was the individual bullied to death vulnerable otherwise - he/she obviously WAS and it is not up for the ignorant reporter as the one who had written this shitty article to decide what leads and what does not lead to suicide.

NUMEROUS studies had proven that bullying and cyber bullying in particular do lead to increased suicide possibility, yet the ignorant stupid and arrogant journalist will state otherwise, not even bothering to educate itself on the subject :evil:

Most of the studies that have examined the association between bullying and
suicidality have been cross-sectional. Those studies show that bullying behavior
in youth is associated with depression, suicidal ideation, and suicide attempts.
These associations have been found in elementary school, middle school, and
high school students. Moreover, victims of bullying consistently exhibit more
depressive symptoms than nonvictims; they have high levels of suicidal ideation
and are more likely to attempt suicide than nonvictims.

BMC Psychiatry | Full text | The association between bullying and early stages of suicidal ideation in late adolescents in Greece
Victims of bullying behavior were more likely to express suicidal ideation. This association was particularly strong for those who were bullied on a weekly basis and it was independent of the presence of psychiatric morbidity( sic!!!!!) (Odds Ratio: 7.78; 95% Confidence Interval: 3.05 - 19.90). In contrast, being a perpetrator ("bullying others") was not associated with this type of ideation after adjustment. These findings were similar in both boys and girls, although the population impact of victimization in the prevalence of suicidal ideation was potentially higher for boys.
Conclusions

The strong cross-sectional association between frequent victimization and suicidal ideation in late adolescence offers an opportunity for identifying pupils in the school setting that are in a higher risk for exhibiting suicidal ideation.

Youth who experienced traditional bullying or cyberbullying, as either an offender or a victim, had more suicidal thoughts and were more likely to attempt suicide than those who had not experienced such forms of peer aggression. Also, victimization was more strongly related to suicidal thoughts and behaviors than offending. The findings provide further evidence that adolescent peer aggression must be taken seriously both at school and at home, and suggest that a suicide prevention and intervention component is essential within comprehensive bullying response programs implemented in schools.

Suicide - Sandra Giddens, Linda Bickerstaff - Google Books
http://www.abusewatch.net/Bullying and Suicide.pdf
An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Your study claims that bullied who are psychically morbid are more likely to think about suicide. That is not proof that bullying causes suicide, all it really proves is that people who need help are more vulnerable.

nope. mental state does not matter - as studies show.

Victims of bullying behavior were more likely to express suicidal ideation. This association was particularly strong for those who were bullied on a weekly basis and it was independent of the presence of psychiatric morbidity
(link above)

Makes you wonder if kids just simply do not understand the finality of suicide.

Forum List

Back