Buried: Father at Newton Meeting who does not want more gun laws

so you are saying the ability of a law to work depends on the population?
No, he's saying percentages matter.

And I'm sure you realize that NATIONAL and consistent gun control laws would change those statistics.

ok, but he is also admitting that laws don't reallly stop crimes. no matter how strick you make a law, it doesn't matter

They work in some places, not so much in others. Not having laws hasn't worked out too well for other places.

Chicago has had gun laws for many years. The number of murders there are half of what it was 20 years. Do you attribute that to Chicago's gun laws?

How many people leave in each state?

so you are saying the ability of a law to work depends on the population?

And I'm sure you realize that NATIONAL and consistent gun control laws would change those statistics.

in the 1970's we passed consitent laws on marijuana possesion. did that bring the number of users down? or did it just increase the black market and our expenses to fight illegal drugs?

ok, but he is also admitting that laws don't reallly stop crimes. no matter how strick you make a law, it doesn't matter

They work in some places, not so much in others. Not having laws hasn't worked out too well for other places.

Chicago has had gun laws for many years. The number of murders there are half of what it was 20 years. Do you attribute that to Chicago's gun laws?

now you are comparing apples and oranges. chicago's murders by firearm are up. since the assualt weapons ban was removed in 2005 the number of guns owned by us citizens has doubled yet the gun homicide rate has dropped. how is that? the gun ban is lifted, guns double, yet total deaths goes down. interesting

now you are comparing apples and oranges. chicago's murders by firearm are up. since the assualt weapons ban was removed in 2005 the number of guns owned by us citizens has doubled yet the gun homicide rate has dropped. how is that? the gun ban is lifted, guns double, yet total deaths goes down. interesting

How is it comparing apples to oranges? Chicago's murders are up year over year from 2011 to 2012 but down 50% over the last 20 years. Gun homicides have been on a decline in the US since the end of the crack epidemic in the early 1990's, that decrease has nothing to do with the assault weapons ban.

When the media isn't just out and out lying blatantly, they are skewering the truth by omission.

Anyone see or hear any blazing headlines about this father? I bettcha didn't.:eusa_angel: I just found it.

YAY!

A third parent, however, disagreed, the Connecticut Mirror reports. "I believe in a few simple gun laws.

I think we have more than enough on the books," said Mark Mattioli, father of James, another 6-year-old victim.

"I don't care if you named it James' Law. I don't want it."

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Newtown Dad 'Heckled' at Gun Hearing - Parents disagree over assault weapons ban

Why did you leave out the part where he said we need stricter enforcement of existing laws?

I went back and read my link three times. He's not quoted for that in my link.

One more time:

Another Newtown parent, Veronique Pozner, urged an assault weapons ban during the hearing.

A third parent, however, disagreed, the Connecticut Mirror reports. "I believe in a few simple gun laws.

I think we have more than enough on the books," said Mark Mattioli, father of James, another 6-year-old victim.

"I don't care if you named it James' Law.

I don't want it." Meanwhile, police discussed their reaction to the shooting.

Newtown Dad 'Heckled' at Gun Hearing - Parents disagree over assault weapons ban

Oh and btw I have no problem with the statement of "enforcing the existing laws". It's just that I don't see it in the link I gave.

How is it comparing apples to oranges? Chicago's murders are up year over year from 2011 to 2012 but down 50% over the last 20 years. Gun homicides have been on a decline in the US since the end of the crack epidemic in the early 1990's, that decrease has nothing to do with the assault weapons ban.
but wait, your argument has been on percentages and how important they are. why are you all of a sudden changing your tune? you have told me how important they are 3 times in this thread alone. ok, population is up. number of people who own guns is up. the total number of guns is up. the assualt weapons ban is lifted so the type of guns people are buying are these deadly so called assualt style weapons. yet homicides are down. so why do we need new tougher gun control laws? please expalin with out contradicting yourself this time

but wait, your argument has been on percentages and how important they are. why are you all of a sudden changing your tune? you have told me how important they are 3 times in this thread alone. ok, population is up. number of people who own guns is up. the total number of guns is up. the assualt weapons ban is lifted so the type of guns people are buying are these deadly so called assualt style weapons. yet homicides are down. so why do we need new tougher gun control laws? please expalin with out contradicting yourself this time

Because the decrease in gun homicides started well before the assault weapons ban expired.

Because the decrease in gun homicides started well before the assault weapons ban expired.

nice back pedal. but the number of guns has more than doubled. as has the number of people who have them. as have the type of weapons changed to these deadly assault style weapons. according to your logic the numder of deaths should have risen too. but its declined. again, please explain and please explain why these proposed gun laws will make a difference. now it seem like you are telling me we don't need them

Careful Spoonman, you have him cornered!

The facts are not on your side moron. Apparently math is your enemy as well. Repeat after me, gun control doesn't work on criminals and puts law abiding citizens at risk.

nice back pedal. but the number of guns has more than doubled. as has the number of people who have them. as have the type of weapons changed to these deadly assault style weapons. according to your logic the numder of deaths should have risen too. but its declined. again, please explain and please explain why these proposed gun laws will make a difference. now it seem like you are telling me we don't need them

How am I back pedaling? You are stating that the assault weapons ban expiring in 2005 is the reason for the decrease in gun related homicides that began in 1993. That makes no sense.

I never said a ban always leads to a decrease in gun deaths. You can take a look at my previous posts throughout this thread. I also maintain that not having any gun laws isn't going to lead to fewer gun deaths as well as Mississippi and Louisiana show us.

The facts are not on your side moron. Apparently math is your enemy as well. Repeat after me, gun control doesn't work on criminals and puts law abiding citizens at risk.

Who let this clown back into the thread?

You blinked, bad move. The data is right there. Huge city with strict gun control laws near the top of the gun murder heap. Admit the failure of gun control laws.

You blinked, bad move. The data is right there. Huge city with strict gun control laws near the top of the gun murder heap. Admit the failure of gun control laws.

Please explain NYC and New Orleans to me then. Murders in NYC have been consistently decreasing over the last 20 years with tough gun laws. New Orleans consistently has the highest murder rate in the country with no gun laws.

When the media isn't just out and out lying blatantly, they are skewering the truth by omission.

Anyone see or hear any blazing headlines about this father? I bettcha didn't.:eusa_angel: I just found it.

YAY!

So?

There shouldn't be a single person in this entire country whose opinion on gun control, one way or the other, means a damn. It's an issue, like so many issues, requiring the individual to make up their own mind. Why don't you cut those puppet strings and become an individual?

Please explain NYC and New Orleans to me then. Murders in NYC have been consistently decreasing over the last 20 years with tough gun laws. New Orleans consistently has the highest murder rate in the country with no gun laws.

Care to provide a link to your claim in bold moron?

Care to provide a link to your claim in bold moron?

Louisiana doesn't allow any local laws that are more restrictive than state laws in regards to firearms and amunition.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=97860

Last edited:

YAY!

So?

There shouldn't be a single person in this entire country whose opinion on gun control, one way or the other, means a damn. It's an issue, like so many issues, requiring the individual to make up their own mind. Why don't you cut those puppet strings and become an individual?

What on earth does one person's opinion have to do with my OP?

I'm attacking the media for burying this part of the incident that happened at the meeting. My OP is strictly about how the media lies "by omission".

They don't give the whole story and instead of presenting the meeting as news, the media turned it into an "editorial".

And with a false narrative beginning with the editing of the first tape. Exactly like NBC did with Zimmerman.

My OP has nothing whatsoever to do with my opinion on gun control. My applause was designed for this gentleman having the balls to state this opinion in a room that leaned towards gun control. He had guts.

With all due respect, you really should go back and read my first post.

Last edited:

idk, he keeps changing his tune. whats up with that

How am I back pedaling? You are stating that the assault weapons ban expiring in 2005 is the reason for the decrease in gun related homicides that began in 1993. That makes no sense.

I never said a ban always leads to a decrease in gun deaths. You can take a look at my previous posts throughout this thread. I also maintain that not having any gun laws isn't going to lead to fewer gun deaths as well as Mississippi and Louisiana show us.

again your facts are off. gun homicides increased from 1999 up to the point the assault weapons ban was lifted. more guns has not equaled more homicides. you keep telling me these statistics matter. do they or don't they? you can't use the argument well this state has lees deaths becasue they have less people in one argument and then discount that the the increase in guns and the lowering of gun deaths isn't relevent.

YAY!

So?

What on earth does one person's opinion have to do with my OP?

I'm attacking the media for burying this part of the incident that happened at the meeting. My OP is strictly about how the media lies "by omission".

They don't give the whole story and instead of presenting the meeting as news, the media turned it into an "editorial".

And with a false narrative beginning with the editing of the first tape. Exactly like NBC did with Zimmerman.

My OP has nothing whatsoever to do with my opinion on gun control. My applause was designed for this gentleman having the balls to state this opinion in a room that leaned towards gun control. He had guts.

With all due respect, you really should go back and read my first post.

The only reason a gun nut considers Sandy Hook a story of interest now is they can't get it through their heads that the gun violence people oppose isn't based on that one incident. You gun nuts can red herring and strawman until doomsday, but your opinions aren't going to fly in this country. The guns on our streets will continue to make this country have gun violence, so your effort is doomed. It's the public's awareness of unnecessary gun violence and their awareness of how the NRA types want nothing done that will dictate future policy.

Those stories aren't of much public interest, but your kind likes using everything to get your childish ways. Just paint a reverse L on your forehead to remind yourself of the final outcome, when you look at yourself in the mirror. Even if those politicians in the NRA's pocket succeed in stopping meaningful gun reform legislation at this moment in history, they aren't going to be around forever. Let's face it, time is not going to be on your side!

Forum List

Back