By 2030, you will see very few diesel trucks on the road

By 2030, no one that has a future in trucking will be using diesel powered trucks;

Until you can charge a battery as fast as you fill a fuel tank, this is nothing more than a pipe dream.

I don't know how feasible that is... But hell... This mother fucker lands rockets ... Something that likely should have been happening for decades. So..............

He's PT Barnum reincarnated and you've just seen his famous sideshow.. Here's the deal --

Go look any total EV manual and find out the charging times versus VOLTAGE/POWER ratings that you have available.. It takes 4 times as long to charge on 110V/20 Amps as it does on 220/40 amps..

At SOME POINT -- as you supply more power -- the battery melts.. But until you hit that POINT -- you're just losing LIFETIME on the batteries by pushing more juice in less time..

So he can DO IT ONCE and write off the battery loss.. But try doing that at truck stop with 220V/80Amp plugs and 22 trucks in the bay.. That should be a HARD HAT ONLY area !!! LOL... And maybe a racing fire suit...

I could get all woke on this.

Don’t the batteries need lithium, or whatever it’s called?

Mined by children in dirt poor parts of Africa.

Good lord. What you are talking about is cobalt. And it is only used in very small amounts in Tesla's new batteries. Tesla has a two sources of lithium, ample for it future purposes, here in the US. A lithium clay on the Nevada, Oregon border, and spodumene in the Peidmont area of the East Coast. They are conducting talks with the Indonesian government concerning a huge nickel mine there. Really fellow, before you post on something, you should do someting to repair your abysmal ignorance on the subject.

Well I would say ignorance abounds then if you think these government subsidized vehicles will be affordable in 5 years.....only for the elitist Dems.

I would say your ignorance can be rated as abysmal; Here are two electrics, neither of them Tesla's, that are well within the budget of most. They are urban vehicles, and the larger one competes head on in price with the base Tesla 3, which puts it at considerable disadvantage.

You bring a link of non Tesla shoeboxes and call me ignorant? Nobody is going to buy these stupid vehicles other than you elitist libbers.

LOL Damn, I see those little shoebox Smart Cars all the time. So there is a market for a small urban vehicle. And the average price for new cars in the US is over $36,000, and you can get a base Tesla 3 for $35,000. Yes, you are very ignorant.

Sure, as I said, with you mindless libbers there is always a market for goofy things.

So, you believe it is non-goofy to drive a 3 ton pickup with a huge diesel engine in it to the store for a loaf of bread. OK, LOL

No not at all....you buy the vehicle that best suits your needs. Likewise I think its stupid to drive around in little electric toy cars, but since you see them in urban locations all the time I assume they must be good for fast getaways.

Neither the S, X, nor the 3 are little as compared to the cars they compete with. And they are far better constructed.

And, contrary to claims, they only achieve around 75% of the claimed range under normal driving conditions.

Really? But again, so what? How far do most people in an urban area have to drive to get groceries?

The point being if you are a normal person an EV won't work for you. If you live and work within 20 minutes of downtown then an EV is fine. And it can be your one and only car.

However, if you live a long way from town, as I do, and the majority of people, then an EV only works as a 2nd vehicle. Most people don't want to spend that much money on a limited use vehicle though.

There are much better choices.

LOL Most rigs get only about 400 miles per tank. Many get far less. The S and X get that right now, and that range will be extended with the new 4680 batteries. The Cyber truck is slated to get 500 miles range, and maybe over 600 with the new batteries. And the top end cybertruck price is comparable to that of the top end Ford F-150. And it is far more powerful, with more utilitarian features standard. And they don't rust.

By 2030, no one that has a future in trucking will be using diesel powered trucks;

Until you can charge a battery as fast as you fill a fuel tank, this is nothing more than a pipe dream.

I don't know how feasible that is... But hell... This mother fucker lands rockets ... Something that likely should have been happening for decades. So..............

He's PT Barnum reincarnated and you've just seen his famous sideshow.. Here's the deal --

Go look any total EV manual and find out the charging times versus VOLTAGE/POWER ratings that you have available.. It takes 4 times as long to charge on 110V/20 Amps as it does on 220/40 amps..

At SOME POINT -- as you supply more power -- the battery melts.. But until you hit that POINT -- you're just losing LIFETIME on the batteries by pushing more juice in less time..

So he can DO IT ONCE and write off the battery loss.. But try doing that at truck stop with 220V/80Amp plugs and 22 trucks in the bay.. That should be a HARD HAT ONLY area !!! LOL... And maybe a racing fire suit...

Good lord. What you are talking about is cobalt. And it is only used in very small amounts in Tesla's new batteries. Tesla has a two sources of lithium, ample for it future purposes, here in the US. A lithium clay on the Nevada, Oregon border, and spodumene in the Peidmont area of the East Coast. They are conducting talks with the Indonesian government concerning a huge nickel mine there. Really fellow, before you post on something, you should do someting to repair your abysmal ignorance on the subject.

Well I would say ignorance abounds then if you think these government subsidized vehicles will be affordable in 5 years.....only for the elitist Dems.

I would say your ignorance can be rated as abysmal; Here are two electrics, neither of them Tesla's, that are well within the budget of most. They are urban vehicles, and the larger one competes head on in price with the base Tesla 3, which puts it at considerable disadvantage.

You bring a link of non Tesla shoeboxes and call me ignorant? Nobody is going to buy these stupid vehicles other than you elitist libbers.

LOL Damn, I see those little shoebox Smart Cars all the time. So there is a market for a small urban vehicle. And the average price for new cars in the US is over $36,000, and you can get a base Tesla 3 for $35,000. Yes, you are very ignorant.

Sure, as I said, with you mindless libbers there is always a market for goofy things.

So, you believe it is non-goofy to drive a 3 ton pickup with a huge diesel engine in it to the store for a loaf of bread. OK, LOL

No not at all....you buy the vehicle that best suits your needs. Likewise I think its stupid to drive around in little electric toy cars, but since you see them in urban locations all the time I assume they must be good for fast getaways.

Neither the S, X, nor the 3 are little as compared to the cars they compete with. And they are far better constructed.

And, contrary to claims, they only achieve around 75% of the claimed range under normal driving conditions.

Really? But again, so what? How far do most people in an urban area have to drive to get groceries?

The point being if you are a normal person an EV won't work for you. If you live and work within 20 minutes of downtown then an EV is fine. And it can be your one and only car.

However, if you live a long way from town, as I do, and the majority of people, then an EV only works as a 2nd vehicle. Most people don't want to spend that much money on a limited use vehicle though.

There are much better choices.

LOL Most rigs get only about 400 miles per tank. Many get far less. The S and X get that right now, and that range will be extended with the new 4680 batteries. The Cyber truck is slated to get 500 miles range, and maybe over 600 with the new batteries. And the top end cybertruck price is comparable to that of the top end Ford F-150. And it is far more powerful, with more utilitarian features standard. And they don't rust.

Mine gets 520 miles and gas is $1.79/gallon. My truck cost me $22,000.

They can drive their elitist vehicles on Mars.

The more they push this crap the more job security I have. 8 years ago these DG sites made up maybe 3-5% of my work. They’re probably 10-15% of my work now. It’s also helping us as a company by paying for us to do regular maintenance on many of our facilities.

LOL Most rigs get only about 400 miles per tank. Many get far less. The S and X get that right now, and that range will be extended with the new 4680 batteries.
Difference is, I can gas up my car/truck and be back on the road in 5 minutes, and be 100 miles down the road. While the EV driver must sit in his vehicle for an extended period of time waiting for it to charge up.

I drove to a wedding last year in Dallas and stayed at a hotel a couple days located just off the interstate. In the corner of the parking lot were several EV charging stations. I would see the drivers setting in their EV's either reading a book or taking a nap, while waiting for the batteries to charge. ... :cool:

nonsense

they said the same thing about horses and buggies

When was the last time you took a horse and buggy on an Interstate?

back

Yea no kidding, My range is 1200 miles on full fuel. Batteries won't last that long so we aren't going anywhere soon.

And the truck pictured is autonomous. That hasn't worked and companies trying to do it go out of business.

batteries will get better

electricity can be sent wireless

some day youll have to give up your horse and buggy

Horse and buggies were out-competed. You morons want to ban ICE engine vehicles before electric vehicles are better.

People freak out about cell signals, you think they will be OK with amperage being sent wirelessly?

Not at all. The EV's are already better, and, in less than 5 years, will be less expensive. They can out accelerate ICE cars, they last far longer, they are safer, and they are making their companies a profit while GM and Ford are courting bankruptcy.

Sorry, but until you can charge a battery as fast as you can fill a tank of gas, not for me.

That's not a car, that's an enclosed golf cart.

The issue is people like you won't let the market figure it out, you will force the rest of us to drive these damn golf carts.

Sorry, but until you can charge a battery as fast as you can fill a tank of gas, not for me.

Until they can charge as fast as I can fill a tank of gas and the associated electric cost (kWh) is equal or less than a tank of gas, I wouldn’t even consider an electric vehicle.

Oh, and I need to be able to charge it from the 120V exterior outlet at my home.

Until they can charge as fast as I can fill a tank of gas and the associated electric cost (kWh) is equal or less than a tank of gas, I wouldn’t even consider an electric vehicle.

Oh, and I need to be able to charge it from the 120V exterior outlet at my home.

A standard residential 120V receptacle is only rated to deliver 15 amperes. Heavy-duty commercial-grade ones will do 20. You can recognize the latter by a horizontal cross-slot on the neutral. An appliance that is intended to draw more than 15 amps will have a horizonal neutral prong rather than a vertical one; this way, it will fit into a 20-amp receptacle, but not into a 15-amp receptacle. A 15-amp-or-less appliance can still be plugged into a 20-amp receptacle.

20 amps × 120 volts is 2400 watts. A gallon of gasoline contains about 33,700 watt-hours of energy, so it would take approximately 14 hours to “pump” the equivalent of a gallon of gasoline into an electric car, from a 20-amp 120V receptacle. From a 15-amp receptacle, you're looking at closer to 19 hours, for one-gallon-of-gasoline worth of energy.

I do not know if I will live to see electric cars that can be recharged at a rate comparable to pumping gasoline into an internal-engined car, but if it happens, it sure as Hell will not be via any standard household receptacle.

...I do not know if I will live to see electric cars that can be recharged at a rate comparable to pumping gasoline into an internal-engined car, but if it happens, it sure as Hell will not be via any standard household receptacle.

I work in the electric utility industry, so I’m more than aware of the math. I’m also aware of the cost to install a charging station at ones home, as I’ve been involved in a handful of projects to do exactly that. It’s exorbitant and well out of most peoples price range.

I would never own an electric vehicle thst I couldn’t charge AT HOME. This is where I spend 99% of my time (165 +/- hours a week), so why would I buy a vehicle I had to go somewhere else to charge?

Yes, it’s an impossible request; just as the idea of me owning an electric car is an impossible one.

Yes, they work well in Paris, or London, or any place where the speeds aren't high, and the congestion is bad. However, outside of those sorts of areas they are useless. No room for groceries, slow, overall, not fun to drive, but, in an accident they are a ready made coffin, so I guess they have that in their favor.

No room for groceries? How much groceries do you buy in one trip? They have a back seat area. And I bet the back seats fold down.

Enough to last for two weeks as an average. A Smart car has room for two bags. That's it. So, if you want to be inefficient, and make multiple trips to the store to try and buy what I can do in one....then I guess you're not very smart.

Silly ass, the Kandi, both models, has far more room than the smart car, and the small one is far less costly to buy. No, it is not a car for me, but it would work for many people.

...I do not know if I will live to see electric cars that can be recharged at a rate comparable to pumping gasoline into an internal-engined car, but if it happens, it sure as Hell will not be via any standard household receptacle.

I work in the electric utility industry, so I’m more than aware of the math. I’m also aware of the cost to install a charging station at ones home, as I’ve been involved in a handful of projects to do exactly that. It’s exorbitant and well out of most peoples price range.

I would never own an electric vehicle thst I couldn’t charge AT HOME. This is where I spend 99% of my time (165 +/- hours a week), so why would I buy a vehicle I had to go somewhere else to charge?

Yes, it’s an impossible request; just as the idea of me owning an electric car is an impossible one.
I see. You cannot afford $600 to $1100 for a charger in your garage, You have my sympathy for your poverty.

Tesla Charger Installation Costs
Each one handles 208 to 240-volt power supplies on a 60 to 90-amp circuit that requires a trained electrician to install. Electricians typically charge $65 to $85 per hour, meaning the total cost of installing a Tesla wall connector ranges between $630 and $1,100 for a basic unit.

A standard residential 120V receptacle is only rated to deliver 15 amperes. Heavy-duty commercial-grade ones will do 20. You can recognize the latter by a horizontal cross-slot on the neutral. An appliance that is intended to draw more than 15 amps will have a horizonal neutral prong rather than a vertical one; this way, it will fit into a 20-amp receptacle, but not into a 15-amp receptacle. A 15-amp-or-less appliance can still be plugged into a 20-amp receptacle.

20 amps × 120 volts is 2400 watts. A gallon of gasoline contains about 33,700 watt-hours of energy, so it would take approximately 14 hours to “pump” the equivalent of a gallon of gasoline into an electric car, from a 20-amp 120V receptacle. From a 15-amp receptacle, you're looking at closer to 19 hours, for one-gallon-of-gasoline worth of energy.

I do not know if I will live to see electric cars that can be recharged at a rate comparable to pumping gasoline into an internal-engined car, but if it happens, it sure as Hell will not be via any standard household receptacle.
Odd, I have not seen any houses lately that do not have a 220 outlet in the kitchen and utility room. And why would I expect to recharge at home at the rate of a gas pump? After all, most of us have some sleep time every day.

I think what is impossible is for you to use any logic in your arguments. Ah well, most ICE's will be replaced by EV's by 2030.

I think what is impossible is for you to use any logic in your arguments. Ah well, most ICE's will be replaced by EV's by 2030.
Wasted away again, in wacko libberville......waitin for my, lost lectrical car........

LOL Most rigs get only about 400 miles per tank. Many get far less. The S and X get that right now, and that range will be extended with the new 4680 batteries.
Difference is, I can gas up my car/truck and be back on the road in 5 minutes, and be 100 miles down the road. While the EV driver must sit in his vehicle for an extended period of time waiting for it to charge up.

I drove to a wedding last year in Dallas and stayed at a hotel a couple days located just off the interstate. In the corner of the parking lot were several EV charging stations. I would see the drivers setting in their EV's either reading a book or taking a nap, while waiting for the batteries to charge. ... :cool:
Yes, at present it takes about 30 minutes to charge a Tesla S to 80%. But the new batteries will be faster charging. And, by 2030, they will be as fast as filling an ICE, and have far more range. For me, driving 300 miles is enough that I want a break. A cup of coffee and a donut, and the car is charged at the same time that I am. But, for those that want to go further, by 2025, Tesla and others will be doing that. In the mean time, the ICE's will continue to become more expensive, even as the EV's come down in price.

Wasted away again, in wacko libberville......waitin for my, lost lectrical car........
Oh yeah, I can see that. Typical too dumb 'Conservative' to punch the button to have the Tesla come to you. LOL

Oh yeah, I can see that. Typical too dumb 'Conservative' to punch the button to have the Tesla come to you. LOL
Oh yeah, and super smart uber intelligent libbers who have the cars driving for them....very intelligent.

Each one handles 208 to 240-volt power supplies on a 60 to 90-amp circuit that requires a trained electrician to install

CaptainObvious.png

Forum List

Back