CA Governor Brown pushes for 5 million zero-emission cars

The Earth's surface, on average, receives about a thousands watts (one kilowatt) of solar light energy per square meter. So, if we were assuming perfect, 100% efficient solar panels (I believe the best ones are up to about 20% at this time), you're looking at 145 square meters of area of solar panels to achieve that rate. More realistically, you're looking at hundreds of square meters at least.

And that's to halfway charge a car in a third of an hour? An hour and a quarter for a full charge? I can completely fill the tank in my conventional car, probably in about five minutes or less. Who can spare the time to spend more of it waiting for his car to charge, compared to how long he spends actually driving it?

You're missing the point of electric cars. Though not practical for everyone, I don't know anyone who drives much more than 320 miles a day (5 hours or so straight or round trip) - You? For the few who do you're correct, the technology isn't QUITE there .. but it will be.

In fact, Tesla makes a semi-tractor that will do up to 500 miles a day. UPS just bought a shit-ton:

UPS Pre-Orders 125 Tesla Electric Trucks
Only 500 miles... lol what a piece of shit
500 miles with a full load. 1/2 hour for a 400 mile recharge. That is damned good.
More likely: it is a steaming pile of horseshit.

One more time: the Tesla semi does not exist. It is vaporware, and the "500 mile" range is only a pie in the sky claim by one man.

Sorry but it damn sure does. UPS just bought 25 million worth. You think they didn't test the range first?

Is Exxon paying you to troll?

The truckers I know would get fired if they only drove 500 miles a day... Pussy-fied is what you call that. 500 miles.., lol

Actually, 500 miles for a solo OTR driver is pretty typical. More than that, you're going to be up against HOS time.

One more time: the Tesla semi does not exist. It is vaporware, and the "500 mile" range is only a pie in the sky claim by one man.

Sorry but it damn sure does. UPS just bought 25 million worth. You think they didn't test the range first?

Is Exxon paying you to troll?

The truckers I know would get fired if they only drove 500 miles a day... Pussy-fied is what you call that. 500 miles.., lol

Actually, 500 miles for a solo OTR driver is pretty typical. More than that, you're going to be up against HOS time.

In the northern plains states, things are a bit different I would say. Lol
500 miles really does not get you anywhere up here

So all that electricity is produced with zero emissions? Go Moonbeam Go!

It pays to read before you respond. Do you need a children's picture book like POTUS? :)

The state has successfully reduced emissions from power plants thanks to the widespread adoption of wind, solar and hydroelectricity, but pollution from transportation has inched up.

Brown proposes using money from a mixture of existing programs at the California Energy Commission and the state's cap-and-trade program, which caps pollution levels and auctions off permits to pollute.​
CA gets lot of power from surrounding states....what they have done is imperil their grid
California's Growing Imported Electricity Problem
Yet, beyond power rates 45% above the U.S. average, California has another problem that makes it less of a model than some proclaim. California now imports 33% of its electricity supply from fast growing neighbors, with about 65% of that coming from the Southwest and 35% coming from the Northwest. These numbers increase most in summer months when air conditioning loads peak. Imports have been rising rapidly: in 2010, California "only" imported 25% of its power.

Maybe if they get up, log 15 minutes for a pretrip, drive for 10 hours on open 65+MPH highways with little traffic, and have no pickups or deliveries. A driver cannot drive more than ten hours in one day.

Forum List

Back