Calif High Speed Rail project derailed

High speed rail to where? For whom? It serves no practical purpose except to decrease the time people are on a train glued to Facebook so that they can get to someplace else to glue their sheep noses onto a smart phone.
Today, the train from Oakland to Los Angeles takes 12 hours.

2.8 million people per year travel by air between San Francisco and Los Angeles. That airway is getting seriously congested. It's the 2nd most traveled route in the US (LA to NYC being the highest), and there is clear demand for high speed transportation between these two major CA cities.

Fast rail service is projected to take less than three hours, which is competitive with air travel.

I don't believe your argument is strong enough to decide that people shouldn't travel that fast.

Oh, I see. Seeing as how I haven't been to Cali in years, and the last place I had the displeasure of spending any time in was PORTERVILLE, I must admit that I don't understand Cali speak. I remember the local nickname for the park there, murder park they called it.

High speed rail to where? For whom? It serves no practical purpose except to decrease the time people are on a train glued to Facebook so that they can get to someplace else to glue their sheep noses onto a smart phone.

2.8 million people per year travel by air between San Francisco and Los Angeles. That airway is getting seriously congested. It's the 2nd most traveled route in the US (LA to NYC being the highest), and there is clear demand for high speed transportation between these two major CA cities.

Fast rail service is projected to take less than three hours, which is competitive with air travel.

I don't believe your argument is strong enough to decide that people shouldn't travel that fast.

The number 1 lesson here is NEVER to live in Oakland.

How does a project that benefits only one state benefit the entire nation?
The national GDP is a combination of that of the individual states.

Federal spending on transportation projects is frequently inside single states.

And the cost over runs combined with the project having no chance of ever paying for itself are reasons why the general public has put their foot down and said "ENOUGH!"
If California wants high speed rail, they can pay for it.

What you believe is irrelevant.
The facts are clear on this. California does not have the money to pay for this thing. Neither does the federal government( US Taxpayers)
This need you say California has for high speed rail service is NOT the problem of the other 49 states.

Or a bridge.

I can show you a bridge that was built using private funds that is still run, and maintained, by a private company.

No, the Golden Gate Bridge was built under public management funded by a giant bond measure.

One bank bought the entire bond issue, but it was bonds that they purchased, and they didn't have anything to do with the design or building of the bridge.

And, bond measures are how the public gets much of its work done.

The national GDP is a combination of the GDP of individual states. Are you implying that this multi-billion dollar waste of money is being paid for by someone from Vermont?

Federal spending on most all projects, defense, healthcare, transportation...etc occurs within a specific state. That does not answer the question. For this specific project, what is the identifiable benefit to any of the other states or the nation as a whole?
Yes. The federal government would support some percent of projects such as the SF to LA fast rail. And, as we are all aware, the federal government gets its money from each stat, including the one you mentioned.

As for why the government supports transportation (and other) projects inside the USA, asked and answered, more than once.

Plus, one would think it would be quite obvious.

I can show you a bridge that was built using private funds that is still run, and maintained, by a private company.

No, the Golden Gate Bridge was built under public management funded by a giant bond measure.

One bank bought the entire bond issue, but it was bonds that they purchased, and they didn't have anything to do with the design or building of the bridge.

So how does the Golden Gate bridge benefit the taxpayers in Florida?

The national GDP is a combination of the GDP of individual states. Are you implying that this multi-billion dollar waste of money is being paid for by someone from Vermont?

Federal spending on most all projects, defense, healthcare, transportation...etc occurs within a specific state. That does not answer the question. For this specific project, what is the identifiable benefit to any of the other states or the nation as a whole?
Yes. The federal government would support some percent of projects such as the SF to LA fast rail. And, as we are all aware, the federal government gets its money from each stat, including the one you mentioned.

As for why the government supports transportation (and other) projects inside the USA, asked and answered, more than once.

Plus, one would think it would be quite obvious.

So you have no answer for the question of how the project benefits other states or the nation as a whole. At least you are being honest. There is no benefit.

What you believe is irrelevant.
The facts are clear on this. California does not have the money to pay for this thing. Neither does the federal government( US Taxpayers)
This need you say California has for high speed rail service is NOT the problem of the other 49 states.
The arguments are similar as for the rest of our transportation system - land (by all modes), sea and air.

Obviously, the US is constrained by economics and must pick good investments, but let's not get bogged down by this crazy "my state v your state" nonsense. States are not all the same size nor are they positioned in ways to make their transportation needs and contributions identical.

It shouldn't seem surprising if big states like CA (as the highest GDP) and TX (with the second highest GDP) get more transportation support and pay more in federal taxes than do those with relatively small GDP.

So how does the Golden Gate bridge benefit the taxpayers in Florida?

CA pays a whole lot of federal tax due to its GDP, which is dependent to some degree on its transportation infrastructure.

Part of that CA federal tax comes to FL to ensure that the US gets the advantage of various opportunities that FL offers.

So you have no answer for the question of how the project benefits other states or the nation as a whole. At least you are being honest. There is no benefit.

Just in general, it looks pretty silly when you put words in someone's mouth and you are totally wrong both about the words and about the subject.

I don't believe your argument is strong enough to decide that people shouldn't travel that fast.[/QUOTE

If the rail line would really go from Los Angeles to San Francisco you would have a point. The rail line was really going from one desert town to another desert town.

High_Speed_Railroad_Map_of_the_United_States_2013.svg

High-speed rail in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the rail line would really go from Los Angeles to San Francisco you would have a point. The rail line was really going from one desert town to another desert town.

It's being constructed in segments.

That way, portions can be in operation while more is being built. Also, contractors don't have to be of a size that could address the whole line at once, yet they can work on more than just one segment if they are good at their work.

Staging the project has financial benefits, too.

This is very common on public transportation projects.

Just in general, it looks pretty silly when you put words in someone's mouth and you are totally wrong both about the words and about the subject.

Then by all means, answer the question. If you need more time, we can wait.

It's not even clear this will benefit CA. What good is a high-speed train that has to stop at every little town before it can get up to speed?

Regardless, they can't build it. CA has to follow the law. Progressives' good intentions don't trump the law.

Then by all means, answer the question. If you need more time, we can wait.
I thought your question had already been answered a few times now.

Maybe I don't understand your question. If there is a part that is unanswered, please ask again.

For this specific project, what is the identifiable benefit to any of the other states or the nation as a whole?

You have not answered.

It's not even clear this will benefit CA. What good is a high-speed train that has to stop at every little town before it can get up to speed?

Regardless, they can't build it. CA has to follow the law. Progressives' good intentions don't trump the law.
It won't stop at every little town, that's the point.
Perhaps they would have some trains that do and some that are express trains.

Forum List

Back