California - electric bills based on income.

Just have different electric tariffs based on income. So a low wage household gets a cheaper kWh electric tariff than a higher income household. Then people still have control over how much electric they wish to save or waste.

Is electric expensive in California because of renewables?
No it’s because governor Grey Davis locked California in at high prices on long term contracts during the Enron scandal. And made electric utilities generating their own power illegal.

If you earn more, you pay more.

That’s the basic idea behind sweeping changes proposed by California’s three largest power companies that will impact your electricity bill.

• Households earning less than $28,000 a year would pay a fixed charge of $15 - $24 a month.
  • Households with annual income from $28,000 – $69,000 would pay $20 - $30 a month.
  • Households earning from $69,000 – $180,000 would pay $51 - $73 a month.
  • Those with incomes above $180,000 would pay $85 - $128 a month.
California Electricity Bills to Be Based on Income
If we paid the highest rate of $128.00 a month it would be a reduction of almost $300.00 a month.

If we paid the highest rate of $128.00 a month it would be a reduction of almost $300.00 a month.
I wouldn't suggest going out and spending any of that money. Sounds like there would be two charges in the new format, a fixed charge and a variable charge based on KWH usage. They're suggesting the KWH charge should be getting reduced by 33%. My guess is most bills will be going up.

I wouldn't suggest going out and spending any of that money. Sounds like there would be two charges in the new format, a fixed charge and a variable charge based on KWH usage. They're suggesting the KWH charge should be glastetting reduced by 33%. My guess is most bills will be going up.
Last February the state fiddled with the electric rates and the bill was almost $1,000. Oops. They fixed it but that bill still stood.

I wouldn't suggest going out and spending any of that money. Sounds like there would be two charges in the new format, a fixed charge and a variable charge based on KWH usage. They're suggesting the KWH charge should be getting reduced by 33%. My guess is most bills will be going up.
Yeah, that was what I was thinking. All the various fees and taxes and fixed charges are rolled into a single charge based on income, and you pay a KwH charge for how much you use. They can't possibly cover costs with a max $128/month.

That wouldn't even cover the 9' high, teak double-doors in the executive offices at PGE, lol.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking. All the various fees and taxes and fixed charges are rolled into a single charge based on income, and you pay a KwH charge for how much you use. They can't possibly cover costs with a max $128/month.

That wouldn't even cover the 9' high, teak double-doors in the executive offices at PGE, lol.
If I understand it correctly if you were to go down to your cellar or to your electric closet and throw the main breaker off for the entire month this is the bill you would still get in the mail for that month. It's not based on usage it's more of a connection fee. The rest of the bill would be predicated on the actual meter reading.

If I understand it correctly if you were to go down to your cellar or to your electric closet and throw the main breaker off for the entire month this is the bill you would still get in the mail for that month. It's not based on usage it's more of a connection fee. The rest of the bill would be predicated on the actual meter reading.
Right. It's just the monthly "connection fee". They roll all the taxes and fees into a single charge.

It's actually less transparent, because you don't know what the breakdown is on those additional charges. "Easier to understand" is code for "We need to hide the slush finds from the customer"

Just have different electric tariffs based on income. So a low wage household gets a cheaper kWh electric tariff than a higher income household. Then people still have control over how much electric they wish to save or waste.

Is electric expensive in California because of renewables?

CA is the most expensive along with Massachusetts, but it has nothing at all to with renewables. I'm not sure what the actual reason is.

CA is the most expensive along with Massachusetts, but it has nothing at all to with renewables. I'm not sure what the actual reason is.
I was just looking about on Google -

Report: Californians pay up to triple what it costs to provide electricity | Haas News | Berkeley Haas

These uncommonly high rates result from utilities passing on a myriad of fixed costs to consumers—everything from generation, transmission, and distribution to wildfire mitigation, subsidies for rooftop solar and low-income customers, and energy efficiency programs......

......This is because the the utilities bundle their fixed costs—including subsidies for houses with rooftop solar and increasingly expensive wildfire mitigation—into kilowatt-hour prices paid by consumers. Up to 77% of what consumers pay goes toward these fixed costs, which don’t change if they use more or less power........

.......Inequities are growing: As wealthier households transition to rooftop solar and buy less power from the grid, these fixed costs are distributed through a smaller volume of kilowatt-hours delivered by the utilities. That raises the costs even more for the remaining, lower-income customers, researchers said.

So kinda renewables in a way. Everyone subsidize the more wealthy of society to install solar.

those california idiots proposing this rates are living in la la land

Forum List

Back