California Leg. OKs funding for high-speed rail line

They are going to pay when they ride it. It should not be a free ride. Of course not.

You know that every passenger train in the nation loses money on every ticket don't you? If they charged for tickets what it cost to run the train, they would have no passengers.

There's no money, unless they borrow it (which they will). California is already $132 billion in debt. Flying is faster, safer, and you don't have to spend billions of dollars to build a rail.

Not true. If you want to fly between Los Angeles and San Francisco, by the time you are done with security and driving and parking at an airport, you have lost several hours already. We need a system where we get to a platform in LA, hop in a train and reach SF in couple of hours. It will be much better than the hassle of flying. This way you can commute home every weekend.

What makes you think the trains will be exempt? Time for you to get a clue...

TSA rail, subway spot-checks raise privacy issues

TSA rail, subway spot-checks raise privacy issues - CNN.com

I used to ride trains extensively when I worked in DC. I do not think I ever had to go through security check. Some of my friends commuted to regional cities like New York on weekends and I do not think they had to go through security either.

Not true. If you want to fly between Los Angeles and San Francisco, by the time you are done with security and driving and parking at an airport, you have lost several hours already. We need a system where we get to a platform in LA, hop in a train and reach SF in couple of hours. It will be much better than the hassle of flying. This way you can commute home every weekend.

What makes you think the trains will be exempt? Time for you to get a clue...

TSA rail, subway spot-checks raise privacy issues

TSA rail, subway spot-checks raise privacy issues - CNN.com

I used to ride trains extensively when I worked in DC. I do not think I ever had to go through security check. Some of my friends commuted to regional cities like New York on weekends and I do not think they had to go through security either.

Try it now Skippy... The TSA is expanding out into all sorts of places they were never intended to go.

Hell if a HSR even comes close to paying for itself it is much cheaper than a highway.

I used to think the $20 million per mile HSR was an expensive waste. But then I read that an interstate highway cost the same but only recovers 32% of the cost.

HIGHWAY CONSTRUCTION COSTS UNDER GOVERNMENT PROVISION - In 1996 dollars, the Federal Highway Administration has calculated the "weighted rural and urban combined" costs per mile of interstate highway to be $20.6 million.

You know that every passenger train in the nation loses money on every ticket don't you? If they charged for tickets what it cost to run the train, they would have no passengers.
Airlines are subsidized, too.

Sure they are.
How We Pay $3,700 Per Passenger to Subsidize Airline Tickets

Every day in 22 cities around the country, commuter planes take off with so few passengers that the pilots and crew outnumber the passengers. Each passenger pays a fare that’s less than $100. However, the federal government subsidizes the rest of the cost and pays airlines as much as $3,700 for each person on board.

Amtrak sets new ridership record ? Infrastructure in budget deal? ? Trucker protest a bust - POLITICO Morning Transportation - POLITICO.com

NEW AMTRAK RIDERSHIP RECORD: The passenger railroad announces a new all-time ridership high today, the tenth record in 11 years. Today’s figure will top the 31.2 million passengers that rode Amtrak in the last fiscal year. Amtrak President and CEO Joe Boardman goes on C-SPAN’s “Washington Journal” at 9:15 a.m. to talk about it — stay tuned to Amtrak - About Amtrak - News Releases for the official figures that are out this morning.
>
Imagine how many more would use high speed rail.

High-speed rail to finally break ground in California | DVICE

<excerpt>
Construction of the rail line is slated to begin by summer's end. Once completed, the long-anticipated high-speed rail line will connect Los Angeles and San Francisco via a 220 mph life-line. Commuters between the two major cities will complete their journey in under three hours, with stops in Fresno and Merced along the way.

The CHSRA hopes that their project will not only serve both LA and San Francisco, but will benefit the smaller cities along the route, which are likely to become vital, low-cost commuter communities. And if that weren't enough benefit, California plans to run the high-speed rail line on entirely green energy. Solar, wind and geothermal plants will combine to provide the rail line with the power it needs to reach top speed. And in good, old-fashioned tree-hugger spirit, the CHSRA will be planting trees to offset the carbon costs of construction.

It's not all blue skies and leafy greens for the project, however. Only 10 of the estimated $68 billion needed to complete the project have so far been raised. And while California governor Gerry Brown has been drumming up international interest in the project since last year, there's still a lot of financial ground to cover. If all goes well, Americans will be cruising the full length of the high-speed rail corridor by 2029.

well good luck to them

Last I heard it was 10 billion over budget, sometime last year or the year before

Amtrak sets new ridership record ? Infrastructure in budget deal? ? Trucker protest a bust - POLITICO Morning Transportation - POLITICO.com

NEW AMTRAK RIDERSHIP RECORD: The passenger railroad announces a new all-time ridership high today, the tenth record in 11 years. Today’s figure will top the 31.2 million passengers that rode Amtrak in the last fiscal year. Amtrak President and CEO Joe Boardman goes on C-SPAN’s “Washington Journal” at 9:15 a.m. to talk about it — stay tuned to Amtrak - About Amtrak - News Releases for the official figures that are out this morning.
>

Did you actually read the release? That wasn't 31.2 million different people, that was 31.2 million tickets sold in the entire country. Doesn't sound quite as impressive, does it?

Reality check here. We don't have the money!

The investment will go a long way and make travel comfortable again. :)

I wrote this blog about high-speed rail and other things in 2008.

Terrorists poised to win: Al Qaeda can create chaos

The pen via computer is mightier than the sword or mightier than hijacked planes used as missiles, for that matter. It is widely known the U.S. is susceptible to a major cyber attack. Al Qaeda wants to disguise this attack and does not want anyone to know there is a problem manifesting itself on their computers. If people figured out intruders are trying to disrupt our daily online activities and communication, we would all pull together and thwart those attempts.

The only thing terrorists need to do is develop enough associates in any country whatsoever, who are proficient at English, its vernacular, and some of its customs. They could pose online as Americans or American immigrants and wiggle their way into popular forums; blogs; facebook sites; news commentary sites; youtube networking; instant online surveys; photo sharing sites; etc. There would be no way people could realize thousands to tens of thousands of cell members giving prolonged dialogue, hot topic forum communications, threads and chatting or well-placed commentary or counter-commentary had begun. All these online cyber chameleon-like terrorists would have to do is act rudely and provocatively in a shrill enough manner in every possible interactive computer circumstance or crucial circumstances and be very persistent about it. Not much could do the trick. Our society is already extremely troubled and taxed to the limit. The attitudes and reactions of people to the intrusions could quickly snowball, invading society with new toxic levels of strife, antagonism and rage. A dozen or a thousand human cyber bottlenecks can turn sharing into swearing and slander.

I know all too well how good plans can go bad and how this can all work. I know how anger will leave no stone unturned, even in a short period of time. I know how anger at excessive levels can poison any activity or completely vanish any will to strive or overcome. Do you think third world countries are not familiar with this type of psychology and suffering? Terrorists always live in poverty and are easily inclined to travel these roads of despair and desperation. Decadence and apathy do exist here. Beware of tricky terrorists!

Americans have become psychologically and, in many cases, physically dependent on internet communication. Many do not participate in the full fledged forums and free blogs, but even surfers, who only take part in fast developing side commentaries and instant surveys can have a major impact on the population.

I pray all this is over-speculation. Nonetheless, I strongly suggest that the bad apples in important groups and activities be weeded out immediately or too many cooks will spoil the broth. Get out the word. Yes. In conclusion, I hope people are made aware of this potential plot and theory of mine.

Last edited:
Reality check here. We don't have the money!

The investment will go a long way and make travel comfortable again. :)

I wrote this blog about high-speed rail and other things in 2008.

Terrorists poised to win: Al Qaeda can create chaos

The pen via computer is mightier than the sword or mightier than hijacked planes used as missiles, for that matter. It is widely known the U.S. is susceptible to a major cyber attack. Al Qaeda wants to disguise this attack and does not want anyone to know there is a problem manifesting itself on their computers. If people figured out intruders are trying to disrupt our daily online activities and communication, we would all pull together and thwart those attempts.

The only thing terrorists need to do is develop enough associates in any country whatsoever, who are proficient at English, its vernacular, and some of its customs. They could pose online as Americans or American immigrants and wiggle their way into popular forums; blogs; facebook sites; news commentary sites; youtube networking; instant online surveys; photo sharing sites; etc. There would be no way people could realize thousands to tens of thousands of cell members giving prolonged dialogue, hot topic forum communications, threads and chatting or well-placed commentary or counter-commentary had begun. All these online cyber chameleon-like terrorists would have to do is act rudely and provocatively in a shrill enough manner in every possible interactive computer circumstance or crucial circumstances and be very persistent about it. Not much could do the trick. Our society is already extremely troubled and taxed to the limit. The attitudes and reactions of people to the intrusions could quickly snowball, invading society with new toxic levels of strife, antagonism and rage. A dozen or a thousand human cyber bottlenecks can turn sharing into swearing and slander.

I know all too well how good plans can go bad and how this can all work. I know how anger will leave no stone unturned, even in a short period of time. I know how anger at excessive levels can poison any activity or completely vanish any will to strive or overcome. Do you think third world countries are not familiar with this type of psychology and suffering? Terrorists always live in poverty and are easily inclined to travel these roads of despair and desperation. Decadence and apathy do exist here. Beware of tricky terrorists!

Americans have become psychologically and, in many cases, physically dependent on internet communication. Many do not participate in the full fledged forums and free blogs, but even surfers, who only take part in fast developing side commentaries and instant surveys can have a major impact on the population.

I pray all this is over-speculation. Nonetheless, I strongly suggest that the bad apples in important groups and activities be weeded out immediately or too many cooks will spoil the broth. Get out the word. Yes. In conclusion, I hope people are made aware of this potential plot and theory of mine.

Sure it will.

>

Did you actually read the release? That wasn't 31.2 million different people, that was 31.2 million tickets sold in the entire country. Doesn't sound quite as impressive, does it?

Then you admit you were wrong again.

airlines are subsidized

>

Then you admit you were wrong again.

airlines are subsidized

Wrong about what?

Notice how the promoters sucker in the low information radical enviro left into supporting the massive project? They use deceptive crap and outright lies like "solar, wind and geothermal energy will combine to provide energy". It's a freaking lie. The trains will run on fossil fuel. Tearing up the beautiful desert environment is compensated by the claim that "trees will be planted" and the radical left goes back to their bongs and dream about a brave new world.

The train passed by 52% of the vote. It is so unpopular today that 70% of the people would vote against it. The low information public really thought it was going to go from Los Angeles to San Francisco!

By the time it can go from Los Angeles to San Francisco, the technology will have been replaced by the hyperloop.

Forum List

Back