California restaurant fined $3,000 after customers dance in dining area

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Oh...this is messed up. Why is this happening?

Dancing is apparently not on the menu at one California restaurant, which was fined $3,000 after customers boogied in the dining area.

WPCO reported that Mr. Peabody’s Bar and Grill, located in Encinitas, was recently fined by the Alcohol Beverage Control because patrons danced to live music. The story made headlines after the restaurant’s owner, Brie Cardosa, created an online petition to protest the fine. The petition has nearly 2,000 signatures as of Tuesday morning.

“We got in trouble for people dancing here. We didn’t realize we were doing anything wrong," Cardosa said. Divulging that her restaurant has been featuring live music for over a decade, she claims that Mr. Peabody’s has never had any legal issues before.

According to the San Diego Reader, Mr. Peabody’s was smacked with the fine as the city has received a growing number of complaints over Coast Highway 101’s downtown restaurants and bars. Though Mr. Peabody’s is blocks away from Coast Highway’s “growing hipster scene,” they got caught up in the increased enforcement, the outlet reports.

Councilman Tony Kranz told WPCO that the no-dancing rule stems from a Encinitas law created in 1986 that makes it illegal to dance during evening hours. Kranz believes that his predecessors established the law to prevent the construction of dance clubs in the city and dissuade lewd behavior at alcohol-serving establishments.

“I think it’s just the result of cities trying to limit their liability. And make it an enjoyable experience for everybody that comes out,” Kranz said.

If folks recall, I noted in previous threads, that there are so many laws and regulations that no one can possibly know them all and in fact that 99% of the adult population in the US was guilty of breaking at least one of them.

This is a good example.

Wow, they act like dancing is the worst thing that a person can be guilty of.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. "You should be dancing! Yeah!"-The Bee Gees

It's funny, that's one of the things I witnessed most glaringly different about Americans compared to Canadians. Dancing and singing in public, sometimes in groups. In Texas, a bus full of strangers began singing a song, lead by the bus driver when a colleague and I decided to take the bus to the company Convention we were in town for.

Also saw older people dancing with vigor, you rarely see that in Canada. I've gone to weddings and in a group of 300 people, I and a handful are on the dance floor, the rest are sitting there watching. I mean, it's a wedding!

To each their own obviously, but to prevent others from dancing via heavy fine, based on a 30+ year old rule. It's absurd, but also so "Progressive".

Hey in many places your kids can be fined for riding around in a car with bare feet, because some wives tail said they'd get pregnant if they did... It's actually kind of amusing what you can get fined or even jailed for in this country. There's a municipal law in Alaska that says it's illegal for a moose to walk across the street - a misguided attempt to stop moose vs car accidents. Of course, we also have cats and dogs for mayor - though that was more of a "thumb off the nose" at politicians who demanded they have a mayor (Alaskan's are quirky)

Does this mean that blacks aren't allowed at that restaurant because they swagger when they walk which could be considered dancing?

I'm I a racist for asking?

Does this mean that blacks aren't allowed at that restaurant because they swagger when they walk which could be considered dancing?

I'm I a racist for asking?

hmm if such were true then I think cowboys might be in trouble too heh

It's funny, that's one of the things I witnessed most glaringly different about Americans compared to Canadians. Dancing and singing in public, sometimes in groups. In Texas, a bus full of strangers began singing a song, lead by the bus driver when a colleague and I decided to take the bus to the company Convention we were in town for.

Also saw older people dancing with vigor, you rarely see that in Canada. I've gone to weddings and in a group of 300 people, I and a handful are on the dance floor, the rest are sitting there watching. I mean, it's a wedding!

To each their own obviously, but to prevent others from dancing via heavy fine, based on a 30+ year old rule. It's absurd, but also so "Progressive".
What is progressive about the law? To me it seems like a conservative law.

Have you given any thought to looking up who represents the municipality in the State legislature and or House of Reps?

Have you given any thought to looking up who represents the municipality in the State legislature and or House of Reps?

Such a law could go either way son. Keep in mind we're in the middle of a "save the kids by taking away the rights of law abiding gun owners" movement as we type here...

To think that Augustus Caesar ran all of Rome without so much as even a Police Department.

We are so completely fucked

Such a law could go either way son. Keep in mind we're in the middle of a "save the kids by taking away the rights of law abiding gun owners" movement as we type here...
It's a Republican district.

Oh...this is messed up. Why is this happening?

Dancing is apparently not on the menu at one California restaurant, which was fined $3,000 after customers boogied in the dining area.

WPCO reported that Mr. Peabody’s Bar and Grill, located in Encinitas, was recently fined by the Alcohol Beverage Control because patrons danced to live music. The story made headlines after the restaurant’s owner, Brie Cardosa, created an online petition to protest the fine. The petition has nearly 2,000 signatures as of Tuesday morning.

“We got in trouble for people dancing here. We didn’t realize we were doing anything wrong," Cardosa said. Divulging that her restaurant has been featuring live music for over a decade, she claims that Mr. Peabody’s has never had any legal issues before.

According to the San Diego Reader, Mr. Peabody’s was smacked with the fine as the city has received a growing number of complaints over Coast Highway 101’s downtown restaurants and bars. Though Mr. Peabody’s is blocks away from Coast Highway’s “growing hipster scene,” they got caught up in the increased enforcement, the outlet reports.

Councilman Tony Kranz told WPCO that the no-dancing rule stems from a Encinitas law created in 1986 that makes it illegal to dance during evening hours. Kranz believes that his predecessors established the law to prevent the construction of dance clubs in the city and dissuade lewd behavior at alcohol-serving establishments.

“I think it’s just the result of cities trying to limit their liability. And make it an enjoyable experience for everybody that comes out,” Kranz said.

you should lobby to change the law.

That doesn't dictate the underlying ideals of the society there; which is typically based on principle not party lines.

You just made that up, huh.

Political Statistics For Encinitas, CA

• Democrat Percentage : 54.150%
    [The percentage of the population that is registered as a Democrat.]
  • Republican Percentage : 43.950%
    [The percentage of the population that is registered as a Republican.]
  • Independent Other Percentage : 1.904%
    [The percentage of the population that is registered with an Independent Party.]

[The percentage of the population that is registered with an Independent Party.]

Registration 40.01% Republican
29.80% Democratic
25.05% No party preference

Registration 40.01% Republican
29.80% Democratic
25.05% No party preference
State and federal representationEdit
In the California State Legislature, Encinitas is in the 36th Senate District, represented by Republican Patricia Bates, and in the 76th Assembly District, represented by RepublicanRocky Chávez.[27]

In the United States House of Representatives, Encinitas is in California's 49th congressional district, which has a Cook PVI of R +4[28] and is represented by Republican Darrell Issa.[29]

Forum List

Back