California restaurant fined $3,000 after customers dance in dining area

Ya'll have to go back to the time when the law was put on the books, and say a couple years before that as well because government is slower than molasses...

Encinitas is not Republican.
You just made that up, huh.

Political Statistics For Encinitas, CA

• Democrat Percentage : 54.150%
    [The percentage of the population that is registered as a Democrat.]
  • Republican Percentage : 43.950%
    [The percentage of the population that is registered as a Republican.]
  • Independent Other Percentage : 1.904%
    [The percentage of the population that is registered with an Independent Party.]

It's funny, that's one of the things I witnessed most glaringly different about Americans compared to Canadians. Dancing and singing in public, sometimes in groups. In Texas, a bus full of strangers began singing a song, lead by the bus driver when a colleague and I decided to take the bus to the company Convention we were in town for.

Also saw older people dancing with vigor, you rarely see that in Canada. I've gone to weddings and in a group of 300 people, I and a handful are on the dance floor, the rest are sitting there watching. I mean, it's a wedding!

To each their own obviously, but to prevent others from dancing via heavy fine, based on a 30+ year old rule. It's absurd, but also so "Progressive".
What is progressive about the law? To me it seems like a conservative law.

Have you given any thought to looking up who represents the municipality in the State legislature and or House of Reps?

Such a law could go either way son. Keep in mind we're in the middle of a "save the kids by taking away the rights of law abiding gun owners" movement as we type here...
It's a Republican district.
Registration 40.01% Republican
29.80% Democratic
25.05% No party preference

It's funny, that's one of the things I witnessed most glaringly different about Americans compared to Canadians. Dancing and singing in public, sometimes in groups. In Texas, a bus full of strangers began singing a song, lead by the bus driver when a colleague and I decided to take the bus to the company Convention we were in town for.

Also saw older people dancing with vigor, you rarely see that in Canada. I've gone to weddings and in a group of 300 people, I and a handful are on the dance floor, the rest are sitting there watching. I mean, it's a wedding!

To each their own obviously, but to prevent others from dancing via heavy fine, based on a 30+ year old rule. It's absurd, but also so "Progressive".

Have you given any thought to looking up who represents the municipality in the State legislature and or House of Reps?

Such a law could go either way son. Keep in mind we're in the middle of a "save the kids by taking away the rights of law abiding gun owners" movement as we type here...

That doesn't dictate the underlying ideals of the society there; which is typically based on principle not party lines.
Honestly, I don't care. They have a right to determine their own laws.

I only took exception to it being portrayed as progressive.

Last edited:
If folks recall, I noted in previous threads, that there are so many laws and regulations that no one can possibly know them all and in fact that 99% of the adult population in the US was guilty of breaking at least one of them.

This is a good example.
That is a prime example of why they should pass a law that if you pass a law you must remove 3 from the books.

Oh...this is messed up. Why is this happening?

Dancing is apparently not on the menu at one California restaurant, which was fined $3,000 after customers boogied in the dining area.

WPCO reported that Mr. Peabody’s Bar and Grill, located in Encinitas, was recently fined by the Alcohol Beverage Control because patrons danced to live music. The story made headlines after the restaurant’s owner, Brie Cardosa, created an online petition to protest the fine. The petition has nearly 2,000 signatures as of Tuesday morning.

“We got in trouble for people dancing here. We didn’t realize we were doing anything wrong," Cardosa said. Divulging that her restaurant has been featuring live music for over a decade, she claims that Mr. Peabody’s has never had any legal issues before.

According to the San Diego Reader, Mr. Peabody’s was smacked with the fine as the city has received a growing number of complaints over Coast Highway 101’s downtown restaurants and bars. Though Mr. Peabody’s is blocks away from Coast Highway’s “growing hipster scene,” they got caught up in the increased enforcement, the outlet reports.

Councilman Tony Kranz told WPCO that the no-dancing rule stems from a Encinitas law created in 1986 that makes it illegal to dance during evening hours. Kranz believes that his predecessors established the law to prevent the construction of dance clubs in the city and dissuade lewd behavior at alcohol-serving establishments.

“I think it’s just the result of cities trying to limit their liability. And make it an enjoyable experience for everybody that comes out,” Kranz said.

For a Canadian, you seem awfully interested in what goes on down here.

Y'all got some pretty strange laws yourself eh?

36 Strange Laws You Didn't Know Existed In Canada

bobdoug1.jpg

[The percentage of the population that is registered with an Independent Party.]

29.80% Democratic
I guess the Democrats vote Republican in that district then.

29.80% Democratic

what was it in 1985 when the law was passed?

it doesn't look "partisan" so making it partisan is pathetic. it most certainly wasn't "progressive" as the o/p nutcase said:

Encinitas Councilman Tony Kranz believes his predecessors created the law in 1986 to prevent several dance clubs from being built in the city, or to dissuade people from behaving lewdly at alcohol-serving establishments.

“I think it’s just the result of cities trying to limit their liability," he said. "And make it an enjoyable experience for everybody that comes out."

*snip*

Encinitas City staff have started work on a revision to the current, and outdated law. In the meantime, Cardosa is hoping the petition persuades the council to let them stay as is.

California restaurant fined for allowing customers to dance

Oh...this is messed up. Why is this happening?

Dancing is apparently not on the menu at one California restaurant, which was fined $3,000 after customers boogied in the dining area.

WPCO reported that Mr. Peabody’s Bar and Grill, located in Encinitas, was recently fined by the Alcohol Beverage Control because patrons danced to live music. The story made headlines after the restaurant’s owner, Brie Cardosa, created an online petition to protest the fine. The petition has nearly 2,000 signatures as of Tuesday morning.

“We got in trouble for people dancing here. We didn’t realize we were doing anything wrong," Cardosa said. Divulging that her restaurant has been featuring live music for over a decade, she claims that Mr. Peabody’s has never had any legal issues before.

According to the San Diego Reader, Mr. Peabody’s was smacked with the fine as the city has received a growing number of complaints over Coast Highway 101’s downtown restaurants and bars. Though Mr. Peabody’s is blocks away from Coast Highway’s “growing hipster scene,” they got caught up in the increased enforcement, the outlet reports.

Councilman Tony Kranz told WPCO that the no-dancing rule stems from a Encinitas law created in 1986 that makes it illegal to dance during evening hours. Kranz believes that his predecessors established the law to prevent the construction of dance clubs in the city and dissuade lewd behavior at alcohol-serving establishments.

“I think it’s just the result of cities trying to limit their liability. And make it an enjoyable experience for everybody that comes out,” Kranz said.

For a Canadian, you seem awfully interested in what goes on down here.

Y'all got some pretty strange laws yourself eh?

36 Strange Laws You Didn't Know Existed In Canada

bobdoug1.jpg

A classic from my childhood! Bob and Doug McKenzie!

I've seen Strange Brew 100 times.

That doesn't dictate the underlying ideals of the society there; which is typically based on principle not party lines.
Honestly, I don't care. They have a right to determine their own laws.

I only took exception to it being portrayed as proggresive.

I gotcha, but ya know, one has to be careful on both sides of that there. "Republican's" in Alaska have /LONG/ fought for the legalization of pot, for example. In fact, it was actually in our state constitution that possession of small amounts was protected by privacy rights. Certainly not a current "right-wing" policy by any stretch, yet it happened. I believe we were the very first state to defy the R led fed's on the "War on Drugs" in the very beginning - the 1990's...

Well, that’s interesting. Conflicting information-

Encinitas is a city in San Diego County, California. The city had 59,518 residents as of 2010, according to the United States Census Bureau.[1]

Federal officials
The current members of the U.S. Senate from California are:

Office title Officeholder name Date assumed office Party affiliation
U.S. Senate California

Dianne Feinstein

Democratic Party

U.S. Senate California

Kamala D. Harris

Democratic Party

To view a map of U.S. House districts in California and find your representative, click here.

State officials
The following is a list of the current state executive officials from California:

Encinitas, California - Ballotpedia

Though municipal elections are officially nonpartisan, Encinitas city politics have often been a battleground between what's typically described as a liberal, pro-environment Democratic group of residents and a conservative, pro-business Republican contingent.
Blakespear wins Encinitas mayor's race

The city of San Diego itself is more Democratic than the county's average and has voted for Democrats Clinton, Gore, Kerry, and Obama, respectively, in the last six presidential elections. With a few exceptions, areas close to the Mexican border tend to be more Democratic, while North County tends be more Republican. In the 2004 presidential election, San Diego, Encinitas, National City, Del Mar, and some other areas voted for John Kerry; San Marcos, Escondido, Carlsbad, Oceanside, Coronado, Santee, Poway, El Cajon, and Vista overwhelmingly backed George W. Bush. Chula Vista, La Mesa, Lemon Grove, Solana Beach, and Imperial Beach are considered swing areas of the county – Chula Vista and Imperial Beach narrowly backed Al Gore in 2000 but narrowly voted for Bush in 2004, while Solana Beach switched from Bush in 2000 to Kerry in 2004. La Mesa narrowly voted for Bush both times, and Lemon Grove narrowly went Democratic both times. However, all of these swing areas as well as Oceanside voted for Obama in 2008.
Politics of San Diego County - Wikipedia

29.80% Democratic
State and federal representationEdit
In the California State Legislature, Encinitas is in the 36th Senate District, represented by Republican Patricia Bates, and in the 76th Assembly District, represented by RepublicanRocky Chávez.[27]

In the United States House of Representatives, Encinitas is in California's 49th congressional district, which has a Cook PVI of R +4[28] and is represented by Republican Darrell Issa.[29]

If folks recall, I noted in previous threads, that there are so many laws and regulations that no one can possibly know them all and in fact that 99% of the adult population in the US was guilty of breaking at least one of them.

This is a good example.
That is a prime example of why they should pass a law that if you pass a law you must remove 3 from the books.
That law about removing 3 laws probably would be quickly removed from the books.

I think it would be good to review current laws every so often to determine if they need to be tweaked or repealed.

Last edited:
I didn’t. Theon did. Call him out.

29.80% Democratic

what was it in 1985 when the law was passed?

it doesn't look "partisan" so making it partisan is pathetic. it most certainly wasn't "progressive" as the o/p nutcase said:

Encinitas Councilman Tony Kranz believes his predecessors created the law in 1986 to prevent several dance clubs from being built in the city, or to dissuade people from behaving lewdly at alcohol-serving establishments.

“I think it’s just the result of cities trying to limit their liability," he said. "And make it an enjoyable experience for everybody that comes out."

*snip*

Encinitas City staff have started work on a revision to the current, and outdated law. In the meantime, Cardosa is hoping the petition persuades the council to let them stay as is.

California restaurant fined for allowing customers to dance

Turns out they didn’t have the correct license required by the Ca Alcohol, Beverage Control Act.
They can now apply and pay for a new license which allows dancing and bands of more than 4 members. Seems these violations are not enforced on a regular basis. They just got caught.
To fight strippers, no one gets to dance

Last edited:
To think that Augustus Caesar ran all of Rome without so much as even a Police Department.

We are so completely fucked

er.... because the roman soldiers WERE the police department.

poor frankie

Well no....cohortes urbanae

Consider yourself schooled

Roman population was about 4MM at the time and there were a handful of the cohortes and they were not police in the tradition sense of being on patrol looking for to pull over people for driving without a license

To think that Augustus Caesar ran all of Rome without so much as even a Police Department.

We are so completely fucked

er.... because the roman soldiers WERE the police department.

poor frankie

Well no...

Consider yourself schooled

Roman population was about 4MM at the time and there were a handful of the cohortes and they were not police in the tradition sense of being on patrol looking for to pull over people for driving without a license

The cohortes was created by Augustus to counter the Praetorian Guard, basically a police force to deal with problems inside the city of Rome

Forum List

Back