California restaurant fined $3,000 after customers dance in dining area

It's funny, that's one of the things I witnessed most glaringly different about Americans compared to Canadians. Dancing and singing in public, sometimes in groups. In Texas, a bus full of strangers began singing a song, lead by the bus driver when a colleague and I decided to take the bus to the company Convention we were in town for.

Also saw older people dancing with vigor, you rarely see that in Canada. I've gone to weddings and in a group of 300 people, I and a handful are on the dance floor, the rest are sitting there watching. I mean, it's a wedding!

To each their own obviously, but to prevent others from dancing via heavy fine, based on a 30+ year old rule. It's absurd, but also so "Progressive".

I’m coming to the conclusion you’re not a Canadian at all. Canadians are always singing and dancing. I’ve never been to a wedding where the dance floor wasn’t packed, with young and old alike.

I went to a kids ice dance competition where the music player broke halfway through the skate and the parents all sang the song in unison so loud that the kids were able to finish their dance.

I’ve been in bars and restaurants when a birthday cake came out and everyone there sang “Happy Birthday” even though they didn’t know whose birthday it is.

It's funny, that's one of the things I witnessed most glaringly different about Americans compared to Canadians. Dancing and singing in public, sometimes in groups. In Texas, a bus full of strangers began singing a song, lead by the bus driver when a colleague and I decided to take the bus to the company Convention we were in town for.

Also saw older people dancing with vigor, you rarely see that in Canada. I've gone to weddings and in a group of 300 people, I and a handful are on the dance floor, the rest are sitting there watching. I mean, it's a wedding!

To each their own obviously, but to prevent others from dancing via heavy fine, based on a 30+ year old rule. It's absurd, but also so "Progressive".

I’m coming to the conclusion you’re not a Canadian at all. Canadians are always singing and dancing. I’ve never been to a wedding where the dance floor wasn’t packed, with young and old alike.

I went to a kids ice dance competition where the music player broke halfway through the skate and the parents all sang the song in unison so loud that the kids were able to finish their dance.

I’ve been in bars and restaurants when a birthday cake came out and everyone there sang “Happy Birthday” even though they didn’t know whose birthday it is.

Maybe in Quebec of Newfoundland. Sure as hell wasn't Ontario.

God Bless America. Get 'er done Trump!

Oh...this is messed up. Why is this happening?

California restaurant fined $3,000 after customers dance in dining area
Dancing is apparently not on the menu at one California restaurant, which was fined $3,000 after customers boogied in the dining area.

WPCO reported that Mr. Peabody’s Bar and Grill, located in Encinitas, was recently fined by the Alcohol Beverage Control because patrons danced to live music. The story made headlines after the restaurant’s owner, Brie Cardosa, created an online petition to protest the fine. The petition has nearly 2,000 signatures as of Tuesday morning.

“We got in trouble for people dancing here. We didn’t realize we were doing anything wrong," Cardosa said. Divulging that her restaurant has been featuring live music for over a decade, she claims that Mr. Peabody’s has never had any legal issues before.

According to the San Diego Reader, Mr. Peabody’s was smacked with the fine as the city has received a growing number of complaints over Coast Highway 101’s downtown restaurants and bars. Though Mr. Peabody’s is blocks away from Coast Highway’s “growing hipster scene,” they got caught up in the increased enforcement, the outlet reports.

Councilman Tony Kranz told WPCO that the no-dancing rule stems from a Encinitas law created in 1986 that makes it illegal to dance during evening hours. Kranz believes that his predecessors established the law to prevent the construction of dance clubs in the city and dissuade lewd behavior at alcohol-serving establishments.

“I think it’s just the result of cities trying to limit their liability. And make it an enjoyable experience for everybody that comes out,” Kranz said.
Sounds like a sequel to Footloose

Only in California.......you'd think that with all the problems in this fucked-up state, the government would have better things to do than worry about people dancing in a restaurant. But then again, the state is always frantic for different ways to suck money out of Americans to spend on illegals. Our state politicians have more or less admitted that their main priority is the illegals.

Maybe in Quebec of Newfoundland. Sure as hell wasn't Ontario.

God Bless America. Get 'er done Trump!

Except for the first 6 months, I’ve lived my entire life in Ontario.

Forum List

Back