Call to move the Winter Olympics

Let's think of it from a practical standpoint.

Are you aware of how much money has been spent for the 2014 Olympics there already? Do you have any idea how much money would be spent if they moved it to a new city? Do you honestly think any other city could be ready considering the Olympics are in less than 6 months? They would have to cancel the games altogether.

I bet Vancouver could manage it...they hosted the 2010 winter Olympics.

Let's think of it from a practical standpoint.

Are you aware of how much money has been spent for the 2014 Olympics there already? Do you have any idea how much money would be spent if they moved it to a new city? Do you honestly think any other city could be ready considering the Olympics are in less than 6 months? They would have to cancel the games altogether.

I bet Vancouver could manage it...they hosted the 2010 winter Olympics.

How bout Salt Lake City.

Best Olympics I've ever seen.

Honorable mention to London.

Their country. Their laws.

They wanted the Olympics. My guess is they never would have gotten it if this was known before hand.

I'm not holding too much against Russia right now. They, after all, did take the whistleblower who told on Zerobama. My son went to Atlanta in 1992 to go to GA Tech. The Olympics was scheduled to be there in 1996. There was a lot of urban renewal going on, and Georgia Tech was slated to by Olympic village. Housing projects were torn down and moved, and there was a larger than normal police presence until the Olympics were over. A LOT of money goes to the city who hosts the Olympics. Hosting is a big deal and a financial boon to the city. The tradition of the Olympics is SUPPOSED to transcend politics. But there is nothing that says the host country has to change their laws for you.

Last edited:
Hello? Why didn't anyone protest China getting the games considering their abysmal human rights record? There were a few but not an uproar like this.

Last edited:
I bet if I flew into Saudi Arabia and started organizing protests against the bans on drinking, drugs, sex in public, their anti abortion laws, women not being able to drive and no free birth control I'd be breaking their laws.

And I'd be in big freaking trouble.

Isn't that strange that our libtards are not concerned at all about the Muslim war on women?

Very very concerned about it. Who has said we are not. Do you think we would accept an Olympics in one of those Muslim countries?????

yes, I think you would. you would not even say a word.

as much as I do not like the laws using the "propaganda claim", becasue they can be claimed almost in all situations, knowing how Russia operates I can assume that what will go in the Olympic Village would not be their concern. Unless people want to stage a "pride parade" or give flyers or in some other way go public, one will be totally free to hold hands and kiss and do whatever inside the Olympic Village.

There is a lot of hypocrisy in Russia and the law is aimed not at the real homosexuals but at the political opponents who now can be put under criminal prosecution because of the bogus claim of propaganda.

This is not the first time in Russian history that the loosely worded laws are created with a far-reaching aims.

As I've stated above - Russia is an autocracy and putin is returning to soviet-era legacy pretty consistently.

This law has much broader and deeper meaning than is superficially appreciated.

Last edited:
Okay. They just support Christian principles. It works for me.

Christ did not arrest people for being sinners.
No one is being arrested for being a sinner.

They just can't propagandize or molest children. Russia does not want to become another America.

What Russia is doing is making homosexuality a crime because Russia is trying to increase their population. When they lost the Satellite states they lost large swaths of their population. Homosexuality does not make families, thus it does not increase the population. Russia has this huge land mass and not very many people. So this is an overreaction by their officials, but what do you expect.

You can't pull off the games that fast. It's a major feat to pull them off with years and years of planning.

Here's part of a great article.

Why Vancouver won’t get Russia’s anti-gay 2014 Olympic Games

There’s much political hay being made about the idea of the International Olympic Committee taking back the Sochi 2014 Olympics from a clearly homophobic Russia and giving them to Vancouver, the host of the last Winter Games.

That George Takei, Lt. Sulu of Star Trek fame, has lent his name to a campaign to strip Russia of the Games now that it has introduced some very odious and frankly backwards anti-gay legislation, has only helped fan the flames.

But the reality is that even though Vancouver’s Olympic venues technically could be reactivated, it would be nigh unto impossible for this city to host the 2014 Games without a herculean effort and an Everest-sized mountain of cash.

And neither the federal nor the provincial government are stepping up, even if the International Olympic Committee were to be brave enough to tell Russia to stuff its anti-gay laws where they belong.

Yes, we could retool the Richmond speed skating oval, hockey rinks and Whistler’s jumps, sliding centre and cross-country tracks.

But what of the accommodations needed for the athletes? The villages are now home to new owners and renters.

The hotels in Whistler are packed for winter skiing. The mountains are not likely to turn over their ski runs and once again lose valuable commercial revenue.

While there would likely be no shortage of volunteers willing to step up to once again don their famed blue jackets, organizing the official security necessary to protect athletes and spectators would be almost impossible.

Think of how many police forces across Canada had to short-shrift their own cities during the Games in order to send officers to help out with the 2010 Games.

Beyond that, think of the political and diplomatic problems this would create. The IOC has only reassigned Games to other countries when the selected host has backed out, as was the case when Denver bailed on its 1976 Games, which were then moved to Innsbruck, Austria.

As political as it is internally, the IOC just doesn’t involve itself in broader big-P world politics.

We can say that the IOC should have known better than to assign the Games to a country that has little regard for human rights or equality. But then, this is the same organization that gave its 2008 Summer Games to Beijing.

Why Vancouver won?t get Russia?s anti-gay 2014 Olympic Games | Vancouver Sun

I think Russia can kiss my big round American heterosexual ass and the olypmics be moved elsewhere. The olympics are supposed to be for athletes to compete...with HUGE crowds from everywhere on earth...regardless of sexuality or politics, race or spiritual beliefs. Russia can go suck a big one as far as I am concerned.

As far as I know Russia doesn't plan on making their stance on Gays an issue with the Olympics, so your point about the Olympics are supposed to be for athletes is mute.

They have already announced that they will arrest any foreign gays/gay supporters and detain them for 14 days and then kick them out....during the Olympics.

But it's not a policy specific to the Games, right ? Isn't that pretty much what they will do now ?

One more time whether you are pro gay or anti gay the Olympics are ideally free from politics.

It is supposed to be a celebration of athletes, their beauty and their talent.

The Olympics are not held to fulfill people's political agendas. Go protest at a G8 or a G20.

The athletes are the ones that count. Or should.

Last edited:
As far as I know Russia doesn't plan on making their stance on Gays an issue with the Olympics, so your point about the Olympics are supposed to be for athletes is mute.

They have already announced that they will arrest any foreign gays/gay supporters and detain them for 14 days and then kick them out....during the Olympics.

But it's not a policy specific to the Games, right ? Isn't that pretty much what they will do now ?

Did you not read my post above. The Russian government has thrown down the gauntlet on those participating in and attending the games.

We can say that the IOC should have known better than to assign the Games to a country that has little regard for human rights or equality. But then, this is the same organization that gave its 2008 Summer Games to Beijing.

IOC has a long-standing disregard towards human rights.

or, if one wants just the plain truth - IOC had always had very, and I mean VERY deep pockets :D

Christ did not arrest people for being sinners.
No one is being arrested for being a sinner.

They just can't propagandize or molest children. Russia does not want to become another America.

What Russia is doing is making homosexuality a crime because Russia is trying to increase their population. When they lost the Satellite states they lost large swaths of their population. Homosexuality does not make families, thus it does not increase the population. Russia has this huge land mass and not very many people. So this is an overreaction by their officials, but what do you expect.

Homosexuality is not a crime. Propagandizing homosexuality is.

IOC has a long-standing disregard towards human rights.

or, if one wants just the plain truth - IOC had always had very, and I mean VERY deep pockets :D

OK that I agree with...remembering Salt Lake.

Is Obama going to pull a Carter and absolutely nuke the dreams of those men and women who have trained for this moment for years?

It was disgusting what he did to those athletes. He made the Olympics political and personal and made those people sacrifice all they'd worked for.

I bet if I flew into Saudi Arabia and started organizing protests against the bans on drinking, drugs, sex in public, their anti abortion laws, women not being able to drive and no free birth control I'd be breaking their laws.

And I'd be in big freaking trouble.

Isn't that strange that our libtards are not concerned at all about the Muslim war on women?

Very very concerned about it. Who has said we are not. Do you think we would accept an Olympics in one of those Muslim countries?????

Yes, yes I do. In fact I think American liberals would say while they don't agree with certain aspects of Islam and Islamic culture, they respect all Islamic societies and their right to decide their own culture.

Did you not read my post above. The Russian government has thrown down the gauntlet on those participating in and attending the games.

If they propagandize. The Olympics are not about you or your sexuality. It is about the athletes.

Is Obama going to pull a Carter and absolutely nuke the dreams of those men and women who have trained for this moment for years?

It was disgusting what he did to those athletes. He made the Olympics political and personal and made those people sacrifice all they'd worked for.

No, I do not think so.

He does not need them anymore ( the votes) so he is not going to do it.

Olympic Games is a business. and politics, obviously.

nobody is going to ruin business over gay screaming.

and as a political matter it is not worth it. At least, not a the moment

Forum List

Back