Call to move the Winter Olympics

Then it was NOT. It had a very valid reason.

Not like now.

-No there wasn't

Carter played crybaby and crushed the hopes and dreams of thousands of people

yes there was. Opposing soviet expansion - was a perfect reason.
I am glad it happened.

carter played politics with the games, he fucked it up for the whole world to show what a useless fuck he could be.

and you should be ashamed

In 1936, we had to "hide" our Jewish athletes so not to offend the Nazi hosts

Seems the same in Russia. Gays can go, but just don't advertise your presence

Don't ask, don't tell.

I tend to agree.

People should not make an issue of those things, personal things should remain personal.

Perhaps the don't ask don't tell was a better policy than the loud and proud policy .... in military, sports.... etc.... that's just my humble opinion. :dunno: Who knows...

Something of a little more practical concern than the whole move-the-olympics thing: from what I understand the Olympic Village where the Olympians stay tends to be packed wall to wall with sex. There are like buckets of condoms all over the place and everyone is trying to jump everyone else's bones. Some Olympians are going to have to either exhibit immense restraint or establish some sort of "Secret Village" with secret handshakes and passwords to get in and get down. It will take some planning, but I wouldn't want to end up in Russian prison for trying to slip it in the wrong hole, as it were.

-No there wasn't

Carter played crybaby and crushed the hopes and dreams of thousands of people

yes there was. Opposing soviet expansion - was a perfect reason.
I am glad it happened.

carter played politics with the games, he fucked it up for the whole world to show what a useless fuck he could be.

and you should be ashamed

carter fucked up on a long list of things, but this one he got right.

No.

It's stupid what Russia has done but sports is supposed to transcend politics.

I hate to break this to you, but there are much worse things that go on in Russia. The Olympics were in China, which is magnitudes worse than Russia for human rights violations.

No.

It's stupid what Russia has done but sports is supposed to transcend politics.

I hate to break this to you, but there are much worse things that go on in Russia. The Olympics were in China, which is magnitudes worse than Russia for human rights violations.

Olympic games have become a political tool long long time ago.

But you are totally right - there are much more worrisome human rights violations in Russia and nobody from the very vocal crowd on the left ever mentions them.
Same is correct with China.

The Americans who are living in Russia and kindly took Edward Snowden in don't find it all that bad.

An update on my earlier post

I flew to Russia and protested the fact that being nude in public will get people arrested

You may now be nude in public during the Olympics, you simply have to be fully clothed at the time

We should test that out first. Let's have a naked liberal gay American go to Russia and walk around with their partner naked holding rainbow flags while kissing.
If they get arrested I promise to personally fly over and get them bailed out of jail. Honest I will. You believe me, right ?

Russia is a sovreign Nation....they can do and say whatever they want.

I am sick of the PC bullshit, ALL gay ahtletes that DON'T want to go can stay home......everybody else...bidness as usual.

More and more people and organizations are calling upon the IOC to move the 2014 Winter Olympics out of Russia due to Russia's new laws on Homosexuality.

George Takei petitions: ?Move the 2014 Winter Olympics out of Russia? ? MSNBC

Stephen Fry: Move Olympics from anti-gay Russia | News.com.au

What do you think, considering that there are most likely gay athletes and spectators and Russia has threatened to arrest, detain, then deport anyone who even appears to support gays in any way.

What is it that libturds say whenever right wingers point out an injustice committed by the current regime?

Oh yeah

Quit your whining!

Those crybaby homos are always crying about one thing or another.

It's time for them to suck it up. Behave like an adult. Life isn't fair.

Last edited:
The law most relevant to the Winter Olympics is one which allows Russian authorities to detain tourists or foreign nationals who are gay or pro-gay for up to 14 days.

“An athlete of nontraditional sexual orientation isn’t banned from coming to Sochi,” Russia’s sports minister Vitaly Mutko said in an interview last Thursday. “But if he goes out into the streets and starts to propagandize, then of course he will be held accountable.”

Sounds like the 1936 Berlin Olympics

It does, doesn't it?

In 1936, we had to "hide" our Jewish athletes so not to offend the Nazi hosts

Seems the same in Russia. Gays can go, but just don't advertise your presence

Tell those crybaby homos to quite the incessant whining.

I think Russia can kiss my big round American heterosexual ass and the olypmics be moved elsewhere. The olympics are supposed to be for athletes to compete...with HUGE crowds from everywhere on earth...regardless of sexuality or politics, race or spiritual beliefs. Russia can go suck a big one as far as I am concerned.

If the Olympics are for athletes are to compete, then what place do activists have in propagandizing for homosexuality? Leave the gay shit home and let the athletes compete.

Russia is correct.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree.
If I were homosexual and my partner was competing, I would want to be there, show support, hug and kiss after an event, hold hands while taversing Olympic Village, etc. without the fear of being arrested. And that goes for those who just go to participate in watching the events take place. So no. Russia is not correct.

We all want things we can't have. The adults among us get over it and get on with our lives.

c'mon, people. nobody will boycott anything.

this is a non-issue.

boycott is a serious measure and should be over serious problems.

From the Olympic Charter:

"The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practising sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play."

http://www.olympic.org/Documents/olympic_charter_en.pdf

It's too late to move, but not too late for banning Russia from participating.

if we actually followed the intent of governing documents we wouldn't have all these ridiculous gun laws either. seems no one pays much attention to intent however

Russia is an independent country and entitled to make laws it sees fit.

It is highly doubtful that American homosexuals are going to be able to have any bearing on Russian laws.

I do not believe this is an American issue only...it is a world civil rights issue. I say move the Winter Olympics to Vancouver...their stadiums, etc. are still up from four years ago. Do not reward Russia for draconic laws against their fellow human beings.
What document grants civil rights to the citizens of the world?

I think that if the gays want to try and move the Olympics out of Russia, then they can knock themselves out. I won't be supporting that any more than I'd be supporting moving the Olympics out of Russia for embarrassing our President.

The Olympics are allegedly above and not subject to politics. But go ahead and politicize it. Everything else is.

From the National Post:

Russia’s contentious law was signed by President Vladimir Putin in late June, imposing fines on individuals accused of spreading “propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations” to minors, and even proposing penalties for those who express these views online or in the news media. Gay pride rallies also are banned.

“An athlete of nontraditional sexual orientation isn’t banned from coming to Sochi,” Vitaly Mutko said in an interview with R-Sport, the sports newswire of state news agency RIA Novosti. “But if he goes out into the streets and starts to propagandize, then of course he will be held accountable.”

Enforcement of the law is sufficiently murky that RIA Novosti prefaced its story on Mutko with a warning: This article contains information not suitable for readers younger than 18 years of age, according to Russian legislation.

Mutko emphasized that the law wasn’t designed to punish anyone for being gay or lesbian. Mutko said athletes would be punished only for propaganda, a word that remains ambiguous under the new law.

“The corresponding law doesn’t forbid non-traditional orientation, but other things: propaganda, involvement of minors and the youth.”

Russia warns gay athletes they are subject to new gay law at 2014 Sochi Olympics ? contradicting the IOC | National Post

Why is it liberals are constantly lecturing everyone on respecting Muslims and their customs and yet when it comes to anything that goes against THEIR belief system they melt down?! I come from a background of European heritage with Mother Russia being my ancestral homeland...how about respecting cultures and customs of other nations?? Biatch all you want but don't try to enforce YOUR belief system on to an entire culture of people. Hypocrisy is rolling in it's grave here.

Interesting...we liberals are always lectured about how we should be thanking our lucky stars that we don't live in MUSLIM countries where they treat gays horribly.

Well....now it's a Christian country doing it........and we're told to suck it up.

Very very interesting.

Repeating - Russia is NOT a Christian nation.
get over it.

I can understand you not wanting to acknowledge it....it sure throws a wrench in the "Christians don't do that" meme.

Forum List

Back