Campus police suggest new method for deterring attackers

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
At last, a real method for warding off attackers in an area where your gun rights are banned.

It's such a pleasure seeing a professional at work!

------------------------------------------

Campus bans guns, tells people to nod at attackers | The Daily Caller

Campus bans guns, tells people to nod at attackers

6:18 PM 06/06/2013
Robby Soave
Reporter, The Daily Caller News Foundation

In lieu of guns, people who find themselves in dangerous situations at or near the University of Arkansas at Little Rock should defend themselves by glancing and nodding, said a university safety expert.

Earlier this year, the Arkansas legislature approved a concealed carry law, but gave school administrators permission to override the law and ban guns on campuses. Most Arkansas universities, including the University of Arkansas and Arkansas State University, opted to prohibit concealed carry, according to The College Fix.

But disarmed faculty and staff members are vulnerable to attack when traveling to and from campus, according to a chain of emails sent between UALR staff members, one of whom was assaulted by three teenagers on his way to class.

“I had not gone very far before I was attacked from behind by two of them and received a number of blows to the back of my head,” wrote the faculty member, a UALR professor of biology, in an e-mail. “Given the proximity to this campus and the fact that a number of our students, faculty and staff walk through this very same area on both a daily and nightly basis I felt it prudent to share this info with you and to advise you to be on your guard while in the vicinity.”

Another faculty remember responded to the email saying that a student had been attacked in the same area.

Sharon Houlette, a detective with the UALR Department of Public Safety, responded to the thread with advice for avoiding being attacked, which included a suggestion to “glance or nod” at possible attackers.

“A glance or a nod will help you show anyone who might think that you are not paying attention, and you are aware of their presence,” she wrote.

It's good advice! The article says to glance and nod at "possible attackers." That means people who haven't done anything yet! And you don't know they will do anything, or mean to do anything: you just think they look dangerous.

Is the gun nut idea REALLY that college students and profs should walk down the sidewalk with an assault rifle or shotgun, shooting away anyone they don't like the looks of, in case they might be an attacker?

Yeah, you go do that. Tell us how the authorities like your idea.

You leftist want people to be raped? Wow.

I'm sorry but many people of all different kinds are very violent.

Since seeing my gun on my belt upsets so many I will continue to carry concealed. And continue to hope i never have to use it.

You leftist want people to be raped? Wow.

I'm sorry but many people of all different kinds are very violent.

Sounds like you are the most violent of all if your idea of rape prevention is to walk down the sidewalk blowing away everyone of a "kind" you don't trust.

I doubt anyone would want to rape you anyway.

It's good advice

It is stupid advice.

Is the gun nut idea REALLY that college students and profs should walk down the sidewalk with an assault rifle or shotgun,

It is kinda hard to comply with a requirement that a concealed weapons licensee carry a shotgun or assault rifle concealed. Did you attend the Joe Biden school of firearms? Open carry is generally prohibited in Arkansas, and you must be licensed in order to carry a concealed weapon (ccw) in Arkansas

Requirements for ccw license in Arkansas:

1. Resident of Arkansas
2. At least twenty-one (21) years old
3. A U.S. citizen
4. Satisfactorily completes an approved firearms safety program
5. Submits fingerprints and a fee determined by the Department of Public Safety (used for full FBI background check)
6. Does not fall into a class of person prohibited to possess a firearm, such as a convicted felon, adjudicated mental incompetent, or illegal alien.

So someone who meets all of those requirements and obtains a license is allowed to carry a concealed weapon in Arkansas, and the crooks will not know who does and who does not have such a weapon, so they can not target victims which they know will be unarmed... such as students and faculty members heading to and from class.

At last, a real method for warding off attackers in an area where your gun rights are banned.

It's such a pleasure seeing a professional at work!

------------------------------------------

Campus bans guns, tells people to nod at attackers | The Daily Caller

Campus bans guns, tells people to nod at attackers

6:18 PM 06/06/2013
Robby Soave
Reporter, The Daily Caller News Foundation

In lieu of guns, people who find themselves in dangerous situations at or near the University of Arkansas at Little Rock should defend themselves by glancing and nodding, said a university safety expert.

Earlier this year, the Arkansas legislature approved a concealed carry law, but gave school administrators permission to override the law and ban guns on campuses. Most Arkansas universities, including the University of Arkansas and Arkansas State University, opted to prohibit concealed carry, according to The College Fix.

But disarmed faculty and staff members are vulnerable to attack when traveling to and from campus, according to a chain of emails sent between UALR staff members, one of whom was assaulted by three teenagers on his way to class.

“I had not gone very far before I was attacked from behind by two of them and received a number of blows to the back of my head,” wrote the faculty member, a UALR professor of biology, in an e-mail. “Given the proximity to this campus and the fact that a number of our students, faculty and staff walk through this very same area on both a daily and nightly basis I felt it prudent to share this info with you and to advise you to be on your guard while in the vicinity.”

Another faculty remember responded to the email saying that a student had been attacked in the same area.

Sharon Houlette, a detective with the UALR Department of Public Safety, responded to the thread with advice for avoiding being attacked, which included a suggestion to “glance or nod” at possible attackers.

“A glance or a nod will help you show anyone who might think that you are not paying attention, and you are aware of their presence,” she wrote.

I must agree the campus police are a dumb lot, but a dumber lot is the Arkansas Legislature that passes a law and than permits the universities in the state to override it.

ORR

It's good advice

It is stupid advice.

Is the gun nut idea REALLY that college students and profs should walk down the sidewalk with an assault rifle or shotgun,

It is kinda hard to comply with a requirement that a concealed weapons licensee carry a shotgun or assault rifle concealed. Did you attend the Joe Biden school of firearms? Open carry is generally prohibited in Arkansas, and you must be licensed in order to carry a concealed weapon (ccw) in Arkansas

Requirements for ccw license in Arkansas:

1. Resident of Arkansas
2. At least twenty-one (21) years old
3. A U.S. citizen
4. Satisfactorily completes an approved firearms safety program
5. Submits fingerprints and a fee determined by the Department of Public Safety (used for full FBI background check)
6. Does not fall into a class of person prohibited to possess a firearm, such as a convicted felon, adjudicated mental incompetent, or illegal alien.

So someone who meets all of those requirements and obtains a license is allowed to carry a concealed weapon in Arkansas, and the crooks will not know who does and who does not have such a weapon, so they can not target victims which they know will be unarmed... such as students and faculty members heading to and from class.

That's to much bullshit to go through, I prefer Pennsylvania's.

Be a citizen of Pennsylvania
Be 21 years of age
Pass a background check
Pay the license fee
get your license

The whole process takes about 20 minutes.

CB

It's good advice! The article says to glance and nod at "possible attackers." That means people who haven't done anything yet! And you don't know they will do anything, or mean to do anything: you just think they look dangerous.

Is the gun nut idea REALLY that college students and profs should walk down the sidewalk with an assault rifle or shotgun, shooting away anyone they don't like the looks of, in case they might be an attacker?

No, Dumbass, that is not the gun nut idea, it is your idea of how to take a debate to the extreme for the sake of a juvenile attempt at a retort. The only thing worse than always carrying a concealed weapon, is not having one when it is really, really, necessary. The old saw is true, that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away, and can always be counted on to pick up and care for your body.

I buckle my seat belt, yet I have never had a need for a seat belt, and probably never will. I have a smoke alarm, and a fire extinguisher, yet I have never had the need for either. I even have an emergency medical kit, and have never had a reason to use it. I also carry a spare tire and a jack, just in case. All that must make me seem to you to be overly concerned with my safety.

No, but you already knew that and you used that Ad Hominem reply because you can't back your position using logic and sense.

No, Dumbass, that is not the gun nut idea, it is your idea of how to take a debate to the extreme for the sake of a juvenile attempt at a retort. The only thing worse than always carrying a concealed weapon, is not having one when it is really, really, necessary. The old saw is true, that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away, and can always be counted on to pick up and care for your body.

I buckle my seat belt, yet I have never had a need for a seat belt, and probably never will. I have a smoke alarm, and a fire extinguisher, yet I have never had the need for either. I even have an emergency medical kit, and have never had a reason to use it. I also carry a spare tire and a jack, just in case. All that must make me seem to you to be overly concerned with my safety.

No, you sound careful and disciplined to me and I congratulate you on being prepared for unlucky eventualities.

I am not complaining about your being prepared --- not even if that includes concealed firearms carried on one's person. I may end up doing that myself one day, if I were in a dangerous situation, God forbid. I don't object to it in principle.

My point is that the original article is being mocked unfairly. We are all supposed to know that inattentive people are victimized more often: the article says to act alert and responsive and aware of people nearby. Especially people you profile, stereotype, as "possible attackers." Well, who do you suppose that would be?? "Youts," right? Usually dark-complected male youths of a lower socioeconomic group, right?

Now, I hope I am as prejudiced as the next person and I know as well as most of you do that it IS "youts" of that description who are the most dangerous, but I also know you can't reasonably rush down the sidewalk shooting at them all just because they look dangerous to you! Even if you have a concealed gun, you can't just pull that thing out of your pants and ping away at people who look dangerous to you. The police take a dim view of that and it's not really fair to the dark-skinned people who never intended to attack you at all.

Soooooo -------- probably it WOULD be better to nod and make eye contact and look alert and not walk alone in the dusk on lonely sidewalks! Usual city rules, in fact. As for the gun, fine, if somebody jumps you, do a Zimmerman on him and good luck to you. I mean, what are they going to do at the school? Boo, you had a gun after all. The school won't know if you don't show it around. If you really need it, you need it more than you need to obey some Mickey-Mouse rules.

But you can't reasonably shoot at people just because they look dangerous.

There's always an alternative. Find a sign that says Attack Free Zone and stand next to it.

Glancing at someone and giving a nod is possibly the WORST advice in the world. For one thing even if the potential attacker isn't interested in you particularly, he will know that he's been seen and could be identified as being in that area even if he attacks someone who looks more promising. By glancing and acknowledging you have gone from potential victim to potential witness and therefore the nex victim.

No one aside from hyper-emotional gun-hating retards has suggested that.

I'd tell you to stop being stupid, but I suspect you're incapable.

There you go with the hysterical ranting again. Liberals do that SO often when they are wrong and can't figure out what to say.

If concealed carry were permitted (IOW if the campus obeyed the 2nd amendment) then the crooks would know that, even though most people aren't carrying, a few probably are. And it might be the person they are about to mug... or might be someone nearby who comes to the rescue. And so they will be less likely to try anything.

And decent people won't have to trust their lives to something as asinine as nodding their heads, as liberal loons want them to.

If some halfway-pretty girl goes walking thru the campus, meeting the eye of each guy and nodding her head at them, I guarantee she will receive a lot MORE unwelcome attention than if she didn't.

FAIL.

Forum List

Back